Patient Comments: Hives - Symptoms and Signs

What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms or signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Better, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

This information may help many of you suffering from hives. My doctor increased my thyroid medication and I got urticaria from getting cold, it lasted for a month before I realized that was the cause. It increased my internal body temperature too high and therefore when my skin would get cold the blood would rush to warm it up causing the hives. By going back to my original dose I only get hives when it is very cold, but they only last until I warm up unlike the other which did not go away for a month. Unfortunately my body needs the thyroid medications so I bundle up outside when it's cold, and when there is a breeze on warm or hot days on your arm you need to have a long sleeved cotton shirt to wear as the breeze will cool your skin and cause the hives. So check your dose to see if you are able to take a lesser dose of thyroid medications.

Comment from: Heysel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

After bathing hives appear on my neck, arms or legs. If it is really hot the itching triggers too much so what I do is wash it with cold water to cool it down.

Comment from: Zeva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had hives for over 2 months now. I take 40 mg of Zyrtec every day and it seems to make them appear less. They move all over but never seem to go away forever. I wonder if there is any long term problem in taking Zyrtec for a long time. I know there is a shot I could take, but the side effects are worse than the hives. My hives just came out of the blue with no rhyme or reason.

Comment from: virgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have welps on my hands and along the hair line when I have hives.

Comment from: Robertaca1970, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am a 43yr old woman who is having a very itchy experience with something that looks like chicken pox or measles, my mother said I had chicken pox as a child but cant recall specifically when. She said they more resemble measles, but I don't know what I have, all I no is that it began on the arms and went to chest and under breasts, now its over my stomach and back down towards buttocks. I have a few on back of the legs and 2 on my face. I don't have any other symptoms just this itchy redness.

Comment from: sandym646, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

The itching is driving me crazy; I've been having this problem now for about four months. I thought it was my diabetic medicine, which I stopped taking, and now the bumps have moved from my arms to my legs and now to my back and buttocks. I take antihistamine pills constantly, use anti-itch creams, hydrocortisone cream, and antibiotic ointment to keep from them getting infected. I'm about ready to go to the ER – the itching is unbearable.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter