Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: P Sethi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I tried antihistamines and steroids for hives; at best, temporary relief. Hives come back. Ultimately, I tried a natural herb, stinging nettle, and it worked like a charm. It took a couple of weeks, but cleaned it. I know that the medical fraternity frowns upon anything like these, but, hey, what do you lose! I bought these in capsule forms.

Comment from: Allergic reaction, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have been dealing with allergic reaction for almost one month, in and out of emergency room. First time, my throat was swelling shut and I had hives from head to toe. They gave me something by IV to treat the allergic reaction which was caused by antibiotics to treat a bacterial infection. Then I came home and two days later had another allergic reaction. The doctor thought it might be from another new medicine, or something new that I was taking to lose weight; I still have hives. I stopped all new medicine, stopped the new weight loss program, even though it was working to lose weight, and still waiting to see what it is. They put me on Pepcid and told me to take Benadryl has needed. Now the hives are only on the bottom of my feet. It wakes me out of my sleep. I am still suffering with patches of hives in the bottom of both feet and they feel so itchy and swollen.

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had a horrible pain for over 4 years in my left hip. I went horseback riding, it felt like something tore, I couldn't sit down on the horse nor could I lift my leg to get off. The pain is now very bad from my groin, my hip, down my leg, and my toes seem to be getting numb at times. My doctor says it is from my back, my physiotherapist says from my hip. I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer. So I am wondering what the issue is know something has got to be done, it's no sleep at all. I am also caregiver for 2 disabled individuals.

Comment from: Kb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 18

The result of my liver blood test is ALT 89, and I am scheduled for an ultrasound. I don't have a clue what causes this elevation from the standard range of 54. I am not a drinker nor taking any Tylenol. But I do like my green tea.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

What works for me for hives until medication starts to kick in is Paxyl, a sunburn relief spray. My son pointed out that it has lignocaine in it. You could probably just buy some lignocaine spray but if you don't have any on hand try the Paxyl, just one short spray works really well.

Comment from: Bhie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I took antihistamine for hives.

Comment from: kriti, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Urticaria or hives can be cured by Ayurveda. Take celery seeds and jaggery in equal proportions and grind them together. Eat one table spoon daily twice a day, morning and evening or night but empty stomach. Celery seeds can be easily purchased from any Indian grocery store. Do this for 2 to 3 months and it will be cured forever! Besides this, also apply sesame oil on affected area. Also grind mint leaves with sugar in equal quantity and store this paste. Every day take one tablespoon of this paste and mix in water and drink twice a day. I am sure this will help! I was suffering from urticaria, tried multiple medicines but this worked wonders for me. Also there are some foods which aggravate the condition, figure out such foods and stop eating them. In my case it was coffee, figure out yours.

Comment from: acha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had bone marrow biopsy performed today at the cancer hospital and it did hurt during the procedure. However after the procedure there was no pain. The real pain was there for about one minute and that was not unbearable. When it was done the first time five months ago there was no pain but I had severe pain for a few hours afterwards. This is a good test for diagnosis and treatment of blood cancers and if I have to do it again I will do it willingly.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My daughter who is now 32, developed chronic daily hives when she was about 12. Absolutely horrible. They presented every day in the afternoon, and gone by morning. They itched like crazy. We went to numerous specialists for about a year and half until one remembered a connection between hives and low/borderline low thyroid function. She went on a low dose of thyroid hormone and the next day, no hives! She hasn't had them since! This does run in families, however, my husband's niece now has the exact symptoms, as did my husband as a child, who never knew what the cause was. Get to an endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked! Even if it's just borderline low.

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm a 35 year old male with hypothyroidism. My doctors cannot pinpoint the reason as to why I get hives but I attribute it to hypothyroidism and a malfunction in hormones. I seem to get hives after meals and more often so in the winter. I use Allegra and in most cases it works. When I have a major attack I use hydroxyzine gel 10 mg. The hydroxyzine works wonders but it knocks you out. It is a very powerful but a quick solution to quashing my hives. If I have a bad attack and my lips swell up, I will dissolve one of the hydroxyzine pills under my tongue for faster absorption.

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I suffer from acute hives, I've been dealing with them for over 30 years and have been hospitalized from them. Reactine is the only thing that helps me and I've tried everything. Reactine works so fast I can watch the hives going down on my skin within 20 minutes. Since using it I haven't even had to have adrenaline shots. Get the extra strength you won't be sorry.

Comment from: Better Now, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Fifteen years ago I had an osteotomy of the hip. Hives ran in my family but other than an occasional hive or two that was about it. After my surgery I began to have swelling of the lips and eyes, which developed into hives from the top of my head to my toes. I saw internal medicine physician, allergist, etc., who were baffled. I took Zyrtec every 12 hours to keep them in control. Finally, after two years, an emergency room physician gave me prednisone, which worked. However, a hand surgeon suggested that it may have been caused by the screws in my hip which may contain nickel that most people are allergic to.

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

For over two years I would wake up every morning with swollen eyes and lips and itchy hives on my hands and feet. I went to many doctors but they could not help. Someone suggested it could be from the new toothpaste I was using which had tartar control ingredients in it. I stopped using tartar control toothpastes and the swelling stopped. Apparently there is something in that toothpaste that I was reacting to. It stayed in my mouth overnight and thus got into my blood stream. Glad I figured it out. No more swollen face!

Comment from: henry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Lots of bottled water helped me for hives. I had 3 16 oz. bottles a day at least and I also went to dollar tree and found a liquid diphenhydramine and it worked; best part it was only a dollar. I tried Claritin and all it did was keep me up all night. I also used an athlete's foot cream so I am not sure which was best. I also used the hot water when I itched badly then followed it with cool water.

Comment from: Natural remedy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hives can be cured with natural remedies. It happened to me and was an awful experience. Juice ginger and lemon, and drink kefir and kombucha. Eat lightly, so you clean your digestive system. Wash with apple cider vinegar and try to remain calm, it will all go away.

Comment from: shelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had chronic hives for 23 years, controlled by daily doses of Allegra. Whenever I would miss an Allegra dose, the hives would return (arms, legs, scalp, and face). However, I have developed H. pylori bacteria and have to take Nexium (1 year). I am not sure if the Allegra caused these gastric problems. I recently ran out of Allegra and starting taking Claritin, which is controlling the hives so far. I will consult with my doctor soon about switching to Claritin and stopping the Nexium. I have secured an EpiPen due to multiple environmental, food, and plant allergens.

Comment from: CarlosG903, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a home remedy for hives. I came down with hives yesterday early afternoon (first time in my life). I didn't think anything of it until the suddenness of redness and itching on my arms, legs, back, neck, chest, and stomach. My brother had hives, he advised me to take Benadryl. My ex-girlfriend had them about 4 months ago. She found a home remedy, small clean towel soaked in vinegar, applied to the redness helps! The vinegar is enhanced if you use a cooling fan to keep the vinegar-soaked towel cool. It reduces the redness and feels good. I woke up this morning, spots are gone; my muscles are fatigued, but red soreness is almost gone.

Comment from: Cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suffered from chronic hives about 10 years ago. I woke up with hives every morning and anytime I had pressure put on any part of my body. After going to an allergist he found that I had hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease. I was put on Claritin for about 6 months while the doctor followed up with regular appointments. After I was hive free for a long period of time he slowly took me off the Claritin and I am still hive free today. The Claritin will make you very sleepy at first but you will adjust if you stick with it. Good Luck!

Comment from: Esther, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

In 2008 almost the whole year, I had hives and it was the first time. They were on and off. When I took loratadine (Loridin) in 2009, they went but in the last quarter of 2012, they were back. I tried to use the same medication but it could only take away symptoms temporarily. For about 5 months, I have been using raw garlic morning and evening and it works well for me. Also cetirizine was working well for me, for every 1 1/2 days each tab, but only because I wanted to avoid it as it could make me sleepy. Hope you try it out. Good luck.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was on holiday in Turkey in 2001 when I first started to get a strange reaction. I would feel weak and then my lips started to swell. When we returned home I then started to break out in huge hives and sometimes swelling under the skin. I was sent to numerous specialists and no reason for the hives was found. I tried all the usual drugs mentioned by other people and then one day in 2005, I met a person who had the same problem. She was put on a 5 day dose of prednisone 50mg. a day. At the end of that dose I was then put on hydroxyzine and ranitidine. I took this medication, 1 tablet each morning and evening. This finally worked. I eventually was able to wean myself off this medication and for the past 5 years was hive free - until late this summer when suddenly the hives returned, no known cause. I am trying the same treatment as before but this time I am not getting the same result.

Comment from: mel1028, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am having severe pain in the elbow and when I burp I have severe knife stabbing pains in my elbow. I cannot straighten my arm. I am left handed and it is my left elbow. I take care of my grandsons daily, and one is a year old.

Comment from: mikey2872, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I get hives during the summer/fall every year. I use OTC Allegra or store generics as maintenance and it seems to keep the hives at bay. I then use Benadryl as the itching breaks through the effect of the Allegra.

Comment from: Angie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I've been experiencing embarrassing itchy red bumps on my skin. Then I googled it and found out I probably have "hives". I never had these before until I moved and that same week I moved they started appearing. It's not severe. But the weird thing is that if I scratch myself, a couple of minutes later I see that the marks are like red and raised like hives except that they have a certain shape. I could actually write my name on my skin with these weird hives! I haven't gone to the doctor because I'm afraid they might give me a medicine that can get addicted. I've been through that before and I don't want it to happen again.

Comment from: Cami53, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I've had allergies my entire life = eczema, asthma, hives, angioedema. (I'm 76 yrs. old.) Was getting allergy shots for 20 yrs. but stopped when I moved to another city and started seeing another allergist who didn't prescribe allergy shots. Then I started having angioedema of my lips (had it sporadically throughout my life). Allergist initially prescribed Allegra 60 mg. bid; didn't control them; then Axid; then Vospire; then doxepin. When I didn't have any episodes for about 6 months, he would discontinue 1 medication; then they reoccurred plus had some episodes of giant hives so was put on prednisone for only 5 days. Now I've been on the 4 medications for about 2-1/2 yrs. with only one episode of idiopathic angioedema of lips.

Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been getting hives just about every day now for the past 30 years. I have what the multitude of Doctors have all called idiopathic urticaria. No rhyme or reason for why I get them. Most have said it was probably hormonal and that I would out grow them...well that hasn't happened. I've been on every type of meds that could be thought of to rid these evil things. The only thing that somewhat helps is Doxepin. Prednisone does wonders but unfortunately can't be taken for any length of time. I just keep hoping one day there will be a miracle pill to cure or at least manage better than what I'm taking.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had hives every day since June 2nd, 2011. I was given Cortizone, 2 treatments of Prednizone, Allegra, Benadryl, Doxipin, Oatmeal baths, use free and clear detergents, free and clear soaps. Now I am taking 4 Zyrtec per day and Tagamet. Recently I was given a Xolair shot. Nothing is working. Would love to hear any suggestions as I am very disgusted and sick of the itching!!!

Published: February 08

Hi everyone, I'm 35 years old and I got hives because I became allergic to a medication I was taking. In the beginning it was really bad with the itching and the burning feeling, I just want to say that I use jojoba oil on my skin when it became extremely itchy and it calmed my skin to the point where I didn't have to scratch. I read in an article that jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe this is why I felt relief from it. Jojoba oil has helped me deal with this hive situation.

Comment from: lilh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been dealing with a sparred bite, misdiagnosis, fungal infection, and now hives from the meds to cure the finagle infection. It is so itchy I can't sleep or do anything but scratch at times. Usually taking a walk or distracting myself helps, I've tried steroid creams; i even got a steroid shot and used Zyrtec, but that only helps a little. Using Vaseline actually helped me get to sleep; somehow the skin not being too dry is helpful. I'm going to drink extra water and stay active; maybe they will seem to go away faster if i don't scratch and try not to think about it.

Comment from: Shaik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I used LEVOCITIRIZINE mouth dissolving tablet 1 at bedtime for hives and I wonder it works great and that was prescribed to me by my skin specialist. Actually, I got itchy hives and I have been with this suffering for the last 1 day. He also prescribed calcium with vitamin D3 tablet too to use 1 tablet in the afternoon.

Comment from: mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I discovered two lumps in my breast. I'm currently waiting for a scan for the last 6 weeks. I have now developed a very sore nipple and I can now feel some more lumps. The tissue behind my nipple is also hard.?

Comment from: Mo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

It had been many years that I had taken serotin reuptake inhibitors and decided to wean myself off of them. Suddenly for about eight weeks I had welt like hives all over. I tried to eliminate things in my diet and environment and even saw an allergist with no relief. Then I thought about the anti depressants I had taken for twenty years and I went back on them and my hives went away. You can try this by supplementing with St.John's Wort to see if it helps you. Good luck.

Comment from: Lizzy D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 53 yrs old and suffer with allergies, and over the last 6 months hives & itching on my legs and feet are increasing to the point that it's driving me insane. I too have taken prednisone which helped, but they came back. there's no rhyme or reason why hives are occurring, drs are trying to figure out. I do find that ZINC OXIDE stops the itching, so load up on it. I'm going through testing now, and the meds given to me don't seem to curb the itching. I want to find out what the problem is rather than masking it with ointments, but in the meantime, ZINC OZXIDE works, at least for me. good luck to all of you sufferers; I relate.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with hives when I was 24 years old. I was allergic to dust, pollen, mold, and Kentucky blue grass. I was put on an antihistamine, and after a few months, they went away. I'm 57 years old now, and I started having daily outbreaks over my entire body. I've seen an allergist and am now seeing a dermatologist. I've had blood work done and also a biopsy which I'm now waiting for the results on. I'm on several medications, but the things that seem to work best are the topical sprays, i.e. Benadryl, and also some anti-itching cream called Sarna, which I use every morning and evening. So far, they don't know what's causing them, and if I can just continue to manage the itching with medication and lotion, I'll be happy. Good luck to all of you, I really do feel your pain.

Comment from: Dean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an operation a month ago and two days later broke out with these patches from the size of a pimple to 6-8 inches, they would only stick up a little but would be an inch or so deep, I didn't know what was going on, I called a friend that's a doctor and he said to try Zyrtec and its helped, the breakouts are not as bad and don't last as long, I'm hoping they will go away forever. Thanks for all the things I've read on this page, they've given me hope.

Comment from: faye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had this for almost a year now. I was prescribed four different types of medicines. After having had gastric bypass surgery I was taken of all medication. Now the hives are back and worst. I do not like taking medication without knowing what the main problem is.

Comment from: David, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I've had this thing for a while now, and I haven't made much of an effort to get rid of it. But I've noticed when I take a cold shower they itch less and start to go away. The cooler I stay the less I get them.

Comment from: Athena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had hives on and off since I was about 5 years old, it was my first memory. My whole face swelled up and I went to hospital. Then when I was in my 20s I got an out break with hives 3 times. Now I am reaching 40 next month. I was cleaning my daughters bed room sorting out teddies under the bed, and within a few hours I had an itchy bottom, neck, hands, wrists and fingers, also itching under my hair line. I find the whole thing very depressing and stressful.It feels like an alien has invaded my body. My body gets red and swells in places. Then it will go, and I feel elated at the relief, then it will appear in another place. I am scratching now as my fingers are now swelling. I have been to skin allerhy testing, and they found nothing. Last time this happened I drank a desert ginger wine and I don't even drink. within 5 minutes my lips were swollen. I had a cow like raised rash all over my torso and my hands were swollen red and itchy. Feel a bit low with it all and want it to disappear.

Comment from: tk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 30 yrs. old and have been having hives for more than 4yrs every day. About 2 yrs. ago I fall pregnant and the hives disappeared until a month after delivery. Since the its everyday hives and the itching is unbearable it's so annoying I have tried Benadryl and it helps with sleeping and no more.

Comment from: acardel1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with idiopathic urticarial and angioedema. For the last 4 months I have had hives every day and swelling of my face, hands, and feet at least once a week. This is my 4th time being on prednisone, Pepcid, and Benadryl. The steroids work great, but I can't be on them long term. The antihistamines alone don't help at all. I hope they find a better treatment so I can go back to living my normal life. The itchiness and swelling get so bad that it enables me from doing day to day tasks. Someone please help!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I take claritin daily and it works. I have had hives since high school and I am 43 now.

Comment from: ItchyLady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The treatment for my hives was Cyclosporine, an immunosuppressant. I've had chronic hives for over a year. Although Prednisone helped (which I took three times), hives came back immediately. I have them all over my trunk, thighs, neck, and upper arms. The itching is so intense that my bedding is speckled with blood from nighttime itching. I couldn't sleep and nothing helped relieve the itching. I started Cyclosporine and within two weeks the hives were gone. The doctor cut me back to 100mg/day and the hives started back. but no hives with 200mg/day.

Comment from: Ferguson, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

My doctor prescribes to me over the counter medicine such as Zyrtec. Zyrtec seems to work much better than what an urgent care doctor prescribe to me which is Prednisone. I have currently only taken Prednisone for the past two days, but it seems like the over the counter drug Zyrtec works better. The only problem is the drowsiness side effect which makes you sleepy. This site has really given much more insight about my condition then my doctors have.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had urticaria (hives) on my eyelid when I was about 10 years old. At 21 I started to get urticaria mainly on my elbows and face. I have it all the time nowadays (I'm 40 now) and it is all over my body from my feet, hands, upper legs and thighs, bottom, stomach and face (bumps) but I also now get a red rash on my neck. The only remedies are Zyrtec and a warm shower.

Comment from: duggie23, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

What helps my chronic hives/angioedema: zyrtec morning and night; zantac at night (contains antihistimine) and vitamin C, cold showers. Make sure your doctor tests you for the Fc epsilon high affinity antibody. I tested positive for that, thus, the trigger remains idiopathic. New drug is waiting for FDA approval.

Comment from: corina, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son is 20 months old and he's been getting hives since 2010. The doctor told me that the skin test doesn't mean exactly that he is allergic to milk and nuts, although tested positive for those. We've tried different kinds of medications, and sometimes they work, but a lot of times, even with meds he still breaks into hives, mostly on his arms and legs. We changed milk and we avoid nuts as much as possible. I hope he'll get rid of them soon and forever.

Comment from: Itchy in the IE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I broke out two days ago, and I'm absolutely miserable! I went to Urgent Care today where they give me steroids via IV. It worked for about four hours, and now they're back even worse. I'm so miserable I want to rip my skin off!

Comment from: onepeacegoddess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've gotten hives sporadically and always temporarily (thank goodness). I usually get it from dry or itchy skin that I scratch too much in my sleep, then I wake up with welts all over my body. I usually used cortisone cream and Benadryl. This time I used essential oils instead of the cortisone cream, and it worked much better to calm the itchiness! For every one ounce of grape seed oil I used, I added 10 drops of lavender and three drops of clove oil. Instant relief!

Comment from: HivesDave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had hives for 7 years straight, without a day off from irritation. Some days its only a small spot here and there, other days it covers nearly my entire body. The itch feels like a burn, then when itched, it is the most enjoyable feeling, until I start to break the skin and bleed. Hydroxyzine is the simplest and most effect relief, if you can handle the drowziness it causes. Some days the humidity in the air helps, but if its to humid it will cause a break out. I avoid wearing watches as they rub and cause a rash. Try not to wear a ball cap to often (my scapl gets it the worst, I'm always scratching, and it now looks like I have dandruff, but its from scratching so much.

Comment from: hives, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I use Benadryl gel topically and Benadryl pills. They seem to work for me.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had hives for about three years now, and it gets worst in the winter. I have seen doctors and have also been to an allergy specialist, still can't find what causes mine. I am wondering if acupuncture would be good?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had hives since I was 10 years old. I am now 47. Sometimes I'll go months with no problems, then suddenly I'll start having problems again. I also have the swelling of the eyes, lips, and throat. The only thing I have found to work is Atarax. I don't have to take it all the time, but when I do have an outbreak of hives, or swelling of the lip, it definitely works.

Comment from: Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

There is a Chinese ointment called white flower oil. It may not help you get rid of the hives but can relieve you from the itching.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I found that "medicated foot powder" has helped a lot with the itching and dries up the hives quickly and helps with sweating. It doesn't help immediately, but within a few hours it helps greatly.

Comment from: Beav177, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had hives for almost a year now. I take 3 reactine pills a day prescribed by my allergist. My skin produces too many histamines so until my body gets rid of it I could have these hives up to 2 years or more.

Comment from: Libbit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had hives for at least 5 years now. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've found cool showers, mineral ice and Benadryl Ready Tabs work the best. Not scratching helps, but is sometimes impossible not to do. Don't touch it! It drives me nuts! There should be some way to get rid of it altogether.

Comment from: Katie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had hives on and off for three years. I recently was precribed Zyflo CR. It is really working. Hope this information helps.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had hives for about a year ten years ago and now they are back. I find for me eating anything acidic like oranges, tomatoes and any food containing these like ketchup greatly increases the hives so I try to eat very bland foods. Also immersing my feed in a pan of cold water while watching TV, etc brings a lot of relief. Although I have heard Advil can cause hives I find this is one of the best ways to relieve the itching. I am hoping soon for another 10 year span without them when they finally go away.

Comment from: Sheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

Had hives off and on for 23 years. Unknown cause. Shortest time 6 months and longest 2 1/2 years. I am now 40. Each episode gets worse and worse attacking everywhere and causing breathing difficulties. My hives are resistant to Zantac, Doxepin, Benedryl, Aerious and Reactine. I still take them all in various doses...and get some relief because I am so doopy. Prednisone always works and gets me a break...60mgs with a slow 1-2 month fade. In the past Plaquenil worked for one bought of hives then didn't the next bought. Danazol 600mgs worked last time and I am trying it again.

Comment from: ikon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had angioedema and pressure induced urticaria for a couple years. The only relief I got was with prednisone but that sent my blood sugar up to high, as I am a diabetic this was not a good thing. My diabetes doctor and family doctor came up with the idea of using "Singulair" as the antihistamines the allergy specialist suggested were not helping. It has been 3 weeks and I have had pretty good results so far. Doing things at work that would normally result in urticaria and nothing is happening so am hopeful this stuff is doing the trick. Bonus is you take 10 mg a day and not to bad of side effects from what I have read and they are cherry flavor chewables. I don't have asthma and never have but curious to know what properties in Singulair take care of my angioe and urticaria.

Comment from: Myriad2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with Chronic Autoimmune Urticaria (hives) just over a year ago. I have suffered from them off and on since I was in middle school (I'm 28 now) but never knew the cause until seeing my most recent allergist. I was put on steroids and antihistamines, but my hives continued to be out of control. My doctor then decided to put me on Cyclosporine (an immuno-suppressant) to see if we could get them under control. I was on the Cyclosporine for about 3 months and have been hive-free for over 6 months now.

Comment from: moi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

In the morning I'd take an antihistamine or just leave it be. In the evening I'd take a bath and rest. Bathing lessens the itch while resting in my bed secures me from sitting in dusty places, which causes my hives breakout.

Comment from: dannijean68, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I started getting hives last summer. Of course the doctor had no idea why. Since then I have realized my hives are temperature related, so when my skin gets hot I break out and when my skin gets cold I break out. All I can do is take an allergy medication when I have a reaction.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have suffered with urticaria and angiodema for over 6 months. Admitted to hospital on a bad attack when throat started to swell, I was pumped with steroids but no one knows the cause. Each day I have to decide itchy rash or migraine from the aerius medication! Have gone through so many antihistamines but cannot function as so drowsy. Urticaria covers the entire body, makes me crazy from itching and on bad attacks my lips, eyes and face swell to beyond recognition. I get asthmatic breathing difficulties on bad attacks.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

When I start having hives every day, I start taking a half of over the counter Zyrtec and no more hives. If I start hiving I take a Benadryl, then start the zyrtec!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I've suffered from over active histamines for over 12 years now. (Hives) Tagament worked for awhile and then stopped. Zertec worked for another couple years and then stopped. What worked the longest for me was Tumeric and Querctine. Sadly after around three years that's stopped to. So my quest continues.

Comment from: DebB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had chronic hives for approximately 15 years...they too came out of no where. One allergist thought it was related to dust mites, the other thought it was triggered by something in my diet. I have been taking 10 mg of Doxepin every 2-4 days and it keeps them under control. I have not increased the dosage and try to wait as long as possible to take one, as I don't like taking medication. My regular doctors have not had a better option, since this works, they keep re-filling my prescription. This drug makes you dopey, so you're to take it before bed. Sometimes my hives are amplified by stress or by something rubbing up against my skin i.e. a rough towel. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Ash, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I started to have hives three days ago. I had to take medicine and put cold water and lotion on it. Today, my younger sister got hives and we figured out that we have been eating lots of chocolate. We go to school and drink chocolate milk and once I get back in the class I break out into these itchy hives. Today, I had to go home early because I had some medicine and only a little bit went away. My mom told me to stop eating stuff that has chocolate in it. On Tuesday we will be going to the doctor.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter