Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Bad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What do bed bug bites look like? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitos, bees, bed bugs,...
Common Childhood Skin Disorders
What are the most common skin rashes in children? Learn about childhood eczema, ring worm, chicken pox and more. Get the facts on...
Picture of Erythema Multiforme 1
This disorder is termed multiforme because the morphology of its lesions is so variable. See a picture of Erythema Multiforme...
Picture of Erythema Multiforme 2
Erythema multiforme tends to be acral in distribution, and the dorsum of the hand is a particularly common location. See a...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of Erythema Multiforme Minor
Polycyclic target lesions with alternating rings of erythema and dusky desquamation on the arm. See a picture of Erythema...
Picture of Urticaria
This is a close-up view of wheals with white-to-light-pink color centrally and peripheral erythema. See a picture of Urticaria...
Out-of-Control Allergy Symptoms: Treatment Relief in Pictures
Learn 10 signs your allergies are out of control. See these surprising allergy symptoms and find out how to get relief for...
10 Worst Cities for Spring Allergies With Pictures
See pictures of the top 10 "spring allergy capitals", according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). From...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Flea Bites (Home Remedies and Treatments)
Flea bites are caused by the parasitic insect, the flea. The most common species of flea in the US is the cat flea,...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Fragrances and preservatives in cosmetics may cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms include redness, itching, and...
The most common cause of a black eye is due to an injury to the face or head. Most black eye injuries are minor and heal on their...
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that affects a number of different areas of the body at one time, and can be fatal....
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
Are Hives (Urticaria) Contagious?
Hives are not contagious are triggered by an allergic response to a substance. Symptoms and signs of hives include a raised,...
Hereditary Angioedema (HAE)
Hereditary angioedema or HAE is a genetic disease that causes swelling of the skin and tissues beneath it. Symptoms of HAE...
About 1% to 2% of people in the U.S. have a peanut allergy. Symptoms and signs of a peanut allergy include rash, hives, redness,...
Drug Allergy (Medication Allergy)
Drug or medication allergies are caused when the immune system mistakenly creates an immune response to a medication. Symptoms of...
Insect Sting Allergies
The majority of stinging insects in the United States are from bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, and fire ants. Severity of...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Hives - Describe Your Experience
Please describe your experience with hives.Post View 200 Comments
Hives - Treatment
What was your treatment for hives?Post View 130 Comments
Hives - Symptoms
What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?Post View 12 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- ranitidine, Zantac
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- diphenhydramine - injection, Benadryl
- cetirizine - oral, Zyrtec
- diphenhydramine - oral, Benadryl, Genahist, Sominex, U
- desloratadine - oral, Clarinex
- loratadine liquid - oral, Claritin
- loratadine dispersible tablet - oral, Alavert ODT, Claritin RediTabs
- loratadine - oral, Claritin
- fexofenadine 24-hour tablet - oral, Allegra
- fexofenadine - oral, Allegra
- desloratadine dispersible tablet - oral, Clarinex Reditabs
- cetirizine liquid - oral, Zyrtec
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- montelukast, Singulair
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- Antihistamine Shots (Injections)
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- Nasal Decongestants
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra, Mucinex Allergy
- clemastine - oral, Tavist
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- desloratadine, Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
- aluminum hydrochloride (Drisol, Certain Dri, Hydrosol, Xerac AC, Hypercare Solution)
- Lysteda (tranexamic acid)
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector, EpiPen Jr)
Prevention & Wellness
- Nearly 4 Percent of Americans Suffer From Food Allergies
- Daffodils, Margaritas and Other Surprise Skin Dangers
- Got an Itch? Use These Tips for Relief -- and Don't Scratch
- Doctors Talk About Getting Peanuts Into a Baby's Diet, Which May Cut Allergies
- Is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Real?
- Think You're Allergic to Penicillin? Maybe Not
- Health Tip: Are You Allergic to Your Pet?
- Health Tip: Easing Hives
- Dermatologist Offers Advice on Treating Kids' Hives
- Think You're Allergic to Penicillin? Maybe Not
- Health Tip: What Causes Hives?
- Asthma Drug May Help Those With Chronic Hives
- Gradual Exposure to Peanuts May Help Some Allergic Kids
- FDA Advisers: Pill for Ragweed Allergy Safe and Effective
- FDA Panel Considers First Pill for Ragweed Allergy
- Stocking Epinephrine in Schools Might Save Lives
- Gelatin Allergy May Mean Extra Care Is Needed With Flu Shot
- Egg Allergy No Obstacle to Child's Flu Shot, CDC Says
- New Choices for Seasonal Flu Vaccines
- Skin Allergies Can Flare Up in Summer Heat
- Watch Out for Backyard Allergy Triggers
- Health Tip: Avoid Bug Bites
- Lone Star Tick Bite Might Trigger Red Meat Allergy: Study
- Son's Real-Life Drama Leads Comedy Queen to Medical Role
- That May Not Be a Cold, Could Be Fall Allergies
- Untreated Food Allergies More Likely in Poor, Minority Kids
- FDA Warns Against Use of Diarrhea Drug From El Salvador
- For Colorado Family, It's Allergies All Around
- Certain Tick Bites Might Spur Red Meat Allergy
- Food Allergy Reactions in Kids Undertreated
- Summer's Heat May Enflame Hives
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Hospitalizations Up for Severe Skin Swelling
- Many Asthmatics Do Well on Food-Allergy Tests, Study Finds
- More People Need Training in Lifesaving Epinephrine Use, Advocates Say
- Bedbugs: Why They're Back
- Pork-Cat Syndrome an Under-Recognized Allergy
- Health Tip: When Exercise Causes Hives
- Survey: Two-Thirds of Americans Plan to Get Flu Vaccine
- Little Insects, Big Allergic Reactions
- Insect Stings Hold Deadly Risk for Some
- Xolair May Treat Milk Allergy in Kids
- FAQ: Pesky Rashes From Plants
- Health Tip: Coping With Hives
- Health Tip: What May Be Behind Hives
- Kids With Food Allergies May Need 2 EpiPens
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter