Trending HIV Topics
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). HIV is a type of virus called a retrovirus, which infects humans when it comes in contact with a break in the skin or tissues such as those that line the vagina, anal area, mouth, or eyes.
View a picture of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) in our image collection.
Related Disease Conditions
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
HIV and AIDS
Second Source article from WebMD...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
Picture of HIV-associated Dementia (HAD)
A 40-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV presented with confusion and decline in memory. See a picture of HIV-associated Dementia...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Does Anti-Retroviral Therapy for HIV Cause Diabetes?
- Antiretroviral Therapy - Guidelines
- Babies On The Breast Of HIV Moms
- Baby "Cured" of HIV Infection
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
- Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Conf. 2/2006
- Generic AIDS Drug Effective - And Now?
- HIV / AIDS Conference Update 2005 - Index
- Does HIV Cause Colorectal Cancer?
- HIV Infection Facts, History, Causes, and Risk Factors
- Do You Need Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV with No Symptoms?
- HIV Tests, Symptoms, Signs, and Stages of Infection
- HIV Transmission and Progression to AIDS Continues
- HIV Treatment, Medications, Prognosis, and Prevention
- HIV Urine Test Approved
- HIV: Two Patients Face The Diagnosis
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections Part II
- HIV Treatment - To Interrupt or Not
- Can HIV Cause Kaposi's Sarcoma?
- Physical and Biochemical Changes in HIV Disease
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis -- Walter Payton's Disease
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections
- How Long Should You Wait to Get an HIV Test?
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- What Is Mononeuritis Multiplex?
Medications & Supplements
- abacavir, Ziagen
- abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine, Trizivir
- amprenavir, Agenerase
- atazanavir (Reyataz)
- cidofovir - injection, Vistide
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista
- delavirdine, Rescriptor
- didanosine (Videx, Videx EC)
- efavirenz (Sustiva)
- emtricitabine - oral, Emtriva
- emtricitabine/tenofovir - oral, Truvada
- Enfuvirtide (Fuzeon)
- enfuvirtide - injection, Fuzeon
- Etravirine (Intelence)
- foscarnet sodium - injection, Foscavir
- indinavir, Crixivan
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- Combivir (lamivudine and zidovudine)
- lopinavir and ritonavir, Kaletra
- maraviroc, Selzentry
- nelfinavir, Viracept
- nevirapine (Viramune, Viramune XR)
- raltegravir (Isentress)
- ritonavir (Norvir)
- saquinavir, Invirase (Fortovase - discontinued)
- stavudine, Zerit
- tenofovir - oral, Viread
- Tipranavir (Aptivus)
- zalcitabine, Hivid - discontinued
- Retrovir (zidovudine, ZDV, formerly called AZT)
Prevention & Wellness
- Antiviral Med Fuels Rapid Decline in New HIV Infections in Gay Men: Study
- CDC Cites Urgent Need to Expand HIV Testing, Treatment
- Surgeons Perform First HIV-Positive Kidney Transplant From Living Donor
- For Women With HIV, Daily Life Can Impede Fight Against Virus
- Generic Version of HIV Prevention Drug Available in U.S. By Sept. 2020
- Trump's Goal of No New HIV Cases by 2030 Is Possible, Health Officials Say
- Has America's Fight Against HIV Stalled?
- Having HIV May Heighten Stroke Risk
- HIV Lurking in Spinal Fluid Linked to Thinking Problems
- HIV Meds Cut Transmission Risk to Zero, Even Without Condoms: Study
- HIV Patients More Likely to Have Heart Troubles, But Less Access to Care
- U.S. Expert Panel Supports HIV-Prevention Pill for People at High Risk
- How HIV Might Influence HPV Vaccination Rates
- Influential U.S. Panel Backs PrEP HIV-Prevention Pills
- For Kids Born With HIV, Taking Needed Meds Gets Harder With Age: Study
- Monthly Shots Control HIV as Well as Daily Pills: Studies
- Most Americans Have Never Had an HIV Test: CDC
- New HIV Prevention Drug Not Approved for Women
- President Trump Unveils Plan to Stop U.S. HIV Transmissions by 2030
- In a First, Scientists Eliminate HIV From an Animal's Genome
- Second HIV Patient May Be Cured After Transplant
- Second Man HIV-Free After Stem Cell Transplant
- Stanford Faculty Members Cleared in Gene-Edited Babies Case
- Vampire Facials at New Mexico Spa Linked to HIV Infections
- Weekly Infusion May Be Effective, Easier HIV Therapy
- When Meds Suppress HIV, Odds of Sexual Transmission Near Zero: Review
- AIDS & HIV...Maybe Forgotten, Not Gone from the USA!
- AIDS in U.S. Marches On
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
- Drug Design Pioneer...Gertrude Elion
- FDA Approves a Once Daily Protease Inhibitor for HIV Infection
- HIV and Tuberculosis - Facts
- HIV, AIDS, and Older People
- HIV/AIDS - World Trends
- Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS) Specific References
- HIV: The Truth About, New HIV Test
- Homosexuality and Bisexuality
- Miroslav Holub- Of Nude Mice and Men
- Newly Diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- Positive Living Series: Looking After Yourself
- Rolf Zinkernagel - Who Is He?
- HIV: The Hidden Epidemic