Trending HIV Topics
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). HIV is a type of virus called a retrovirus, which infects humans when it comes in contact with a break in the skin or tissues such as those that line the vagina, anal area, mouth, or eyes.
View a picture of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) in our image collection.
Related Disease Conditions
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
HIV Early Signs and Stages
Human immunodeficiency virus or HIV, destroys important cells that fight disease and infection, which weakens a person's immune...
HIV/AIDS Facts: What Is HIV?
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is the precursor infection to AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). HIV is transmitted...
HIV/AIDS Infection Transmission and Prevention
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is spread through contact with genital fluids or blood of an infected person. The spread of...
HIV/AIDS Testing: Diagnosis and Monitoring
HIV/AIDS diagnosis and monitoring have come a long way from the days when a diagnosis was a death sentence. Crucial parts of the...
HIV and AIDS
Second Source article from WebMD...
HIV Medications List and Drug Charts
The ultimate goal of HIV treatment is getting the viral load down below detectable levels. As long as those viral load and...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection left untreated causes AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). Still incurable,...
What Are the Side Effects of HIV Medications?
It’s important to know the potential side effects of all the drugs you take to control your HIV infection, as well as potential...
When should you start HIV medication?
Nearly everyone who is infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) should start antiviral medication therapy as soon as they...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
Picture of HIV-associated Dementia (HAD)
A 40-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV presented with confusion and decline in memory. See a picture of HIV-associated Dementia...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Does Anti-Retroviral Therapy for HIV Cause Diabetes?
- Antiretroviral Therapy - Guidelines
- Babies On The Breast Of HIV Moms
- Baby "Cured" of HIV Infection
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
- Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Conf. 2/2006
- Generic AIDS Drug Effective - And Now?
- HIV / AIDS Conference Update 2005 - Index
- Does HIV Cause Colorectal Cancer?
- HIV Infection Facts, History, Causes, and Risk Factors
- Do You Need Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV with No Symptoms?
- HIV Tests, Symptoms, Signs, and Stages of Infection
- HIV Transmission and Progression to AIDS Continues
- HIV Treatment, Medications, and Prevention
- HIV Urine Test Approved
- HIV: Two Patients Face The Diagnosis
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections Part II
- HIV Treatment - To Interrupt or Not
- Can HIV Cause Kaposi's Sarcoma?
- Physical and Biochemical Changes in HIV Disease
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis -- Walter Payton's Disease
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections
- How Long Should You Wait to Get an HIV Test?
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- What Is Mononeuritis Multiplex?
Medications & Supplements
- abacavir, Ziagen
- abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine (Trizivir)
- Agenerase (amprenavir) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- amprenavir, Agenerase
- atazanavir (Reyataz)
- cidofovir - injection, Vistide
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista
- delavirdine (Rescriptor)
- didanosine (Videx, Videx EC)
- efavirenz (Sustiva)
- emtricitabine - oral, Emtriva
- emtricitabine/tenofovir - oral, Truvada
- Enfuvirtide (Fuzeon)
- enfuvirtide - injection, Fuzeon
- Etravirine (Intelence)
- foscarnet sodium - injection, Foscavir
- indinavir, Crixivan
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- Combivir (lamivudine and zidovudine)
- lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra)
- maraviroc, Selzentry
- nelfinavir, Viracept
- nevirapine (Viramune, Viramune XR)
- raltegravir (Isentress)
- ritonavir (Norvir)
- saquinavir (Invirase, Fortovase - discontinued)
- stavudine (Zerit)
- tenofovir - oral, Viread
- Tipranavir (Aptivus)
- Trizivir (abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions
- zalcitabine, Hivid - discontinued
- Ziagen (abacavir) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Retrovir (zidovudine, ZDV, formerly called AZT)
Prevention & Wellness
- AIDS & HIV...Maybe Forgotten, Not Gone from the USA!
- AIDS in U.S. Marches On
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
- Drug Design Pioneer...Gertrude Elion
- FDA Approves a Once Daily Protease Inhibitor for HIV Infection
- HIV and Tuberculosis - Facts
- HIV, AIDS, and Older People
- HIV/AIDS - World Trends
- Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS) Specific References
- HIV: The Truth About, New HIV Test
- Homosexuality and Bisexuality
- Miroslav Holub- Of Nude Mice and Men
- Newly Diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- Positive Living Series: Looking After Yourself
- Rolf Zinkernagel - Who Is He?
- HIV: The Hidden Epidemic