Trending HIV Topics
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). HIV is a type of virus called a retrovirus, which infects humans when it comes in contact with a break in the skin or tissues such as those that line the vagina, anal area, mouth, or eyes.
View a picture of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) in our image collection.
Related Disease Conditions
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
HIV and AIDS
Second Source article from WebMD...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
Picture of HIV-associated Dementia (HAD)
A 40-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV presented with confusion and decline in memory. See a picture of HIV-associated Dementia...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Does Anti-Retroviral Therapy for HIV Cause Diabetes?
- Antiretroviral Therapy - Guidelines
- Babies On The Breast Of HIV Moms
- Baby "Cured" of HIV Infection
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
- Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Conf. 2/2006
- Generic AIDS Drug Effective - And Now?
- HIV / AIDS Conference Update 2005 - Index
- Does HIV Cause Colorectal Cancer?
- HIV Infection Facts, History, Causes, and Risk Factors
- Do You Need Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV with No Symptoms?
- HIV Tests, Symptoms, Signs, and Stages of Infection
- HIV Transmission and Progression to AIDS Continues
- HIV Treatment - To Interrupt or Not
- HIV Treatment, Medications, Prognosis, and Prevention
- HIV Urine Test Approved
- HIV: Two Patients Face The Diagnosis
- Can HIV Cause Kaposi's Sarcoma?
- Physical and Biochemical Changes in HIV Disease
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis -- Walter Payton's Disease
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections
- Retrovirus & Opportunistic Infections Part II
- How Long Should You Wait to Get an HIV Test?
- Unprotected Sex Between HIV-Infected Partners: What's the Harm?
- What Is Mononeuritis Multiplex?
Medications & Supplements
- abacavir, Ziagen
- abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine, Trizivir
- amprenavir, Agenerase
- atazanavir, Reyataz
- cidofovir - injection, Vistide
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista
- delavirdine, Rescriptor
- didanosine, Videx, Videx EC
- efavirenz, Sustiva
- emtricitabine - oral, Emtriva
- emtricitabine/tenofovir - oral, Truvada
- enfuvirtide, T-20; Fuzeon
- enfuvirtide - injection, Fuzeon
- etravirine, Intelence
- foscarnet sodium - injection, Foscavir
- indinavir, Crixivan
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- Combivir (lamivudine and zidovudine)
- lopinavir and ritonavir, Kaletra
- maraviroc, Selzentry
- nelfinavir, Viracept
- nevirapine, Viramune, Viramune XR
- raltegravir (Isentress)
- ritonavir, Norvir
- saquinavir, Invirase (Fortovase - discontinued)
- stavudine, Zerit
- tenofovir - oral, Viread
- tipranavir, Aptivus
- zalcitabine, Hivid - discontinued
- Retrovir (zidovudine, ZDV, formerly called AZT)
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Cancer Profile' Is Changing for Americans With HIV
- 6 Experts Resign from President's HIV/AIDS Advisory Panel in Protest
- African Boy Achieves HIV Remission Without Drugs
- Are HIV and AIDS Poised for a Comeback?
- Could a Monetary Perk Help Keep HIV Patients on Their Meds?
- Charlie Sheen's 2015 HIV Disclosure Spiked Use of Home Test Kits
- Coming Soon: A Once-Weekly Pill to Fight HIV?
- Could Gene Therapy Someday Eliminate HIV?
- Cows May Offer Clues to an AIDS Vaccine
- U.S. Sees Big Drop in Number of Babies Born With HIV
- Drug Helped Protect Gay Teen Males From HIV
- U.S. Efforts to Help Fight Global HIV Are Paying Off
- Fighting HIV on Multiple Fronts Might Lead to Vaccine
- Health Risks Grow as Young People Born With HIV Age
- HIV Diagnoses Occurring More Quickly, CDC Says
- Life Expectancy With HIV Nears Normal With Treatment
- Americans With HIV Staying on Lifesaving Meds Longer
- HIV Treatment Protects Uninfected Partner From the Virus
- Insurer Aetna's Envelopes Revealed Customers' HIV Status
- California Reduces Penalty for Intentional Exposure to HIV
- Is the AIDS Epidemic Winding Down in the U.S.?
- Lung Cancer Drug Targets 'Hidden' HIV in French Patient
- Meds by Monthly Injection Might Revolutionize HIV Care
- New Medication Approved for Drug-Resistant HIV
- New Studies Target Gene Therapy Against AIDS
- Pot May Alter Brain Function of Some With HIV
- Risky Teen Behavior May Up Odds for HIV in Adulthood
- Scientists Zero in on Better Saliva-Based HIV Test
- Trump Administration Funding Cuts to AIDS Programs Could Mean 1 Million Lives Lost
- Trump Fires Obama-Era HIV/AIDS Council Members
- U.S.-Funded HIV Prevention Effort Reaps Rewards in Uganda
- Experimental Vaccines Might Shield Fetus From Zika
- Bacteria May Explain Why Uncircumcised Face Higher HIV Risk
- Wider Access to Meds Cuts Global AIDS Deaths in Half
- AIDS & HIV...Forgotten, Not Gone from the World!
- AIDS & HIV...Maybe Forgotten, Not Gone from the USA!
- AIDS in U.S. Marches On
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
- Drug Design Pioneer...Gertrude Elion
- FDA Approves a Once Daily Protease Inhibitor for HIV Infection
- HIV and Tuberculosis - Facts
- Talking to Youth about HIV - Conversation Starters
- HIV, AIDS, and Older People
- HIV-HIV/AIDS Statistics
- HIV/AIDS - How Much Do You Know?
- HIV/AIDS - Myth versus Reality
- HIV/AIDS - World Trends
- HIV/AIDS Facts for Those Over 50
- Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS) Specific References
- HIV: The Truth About, New HIV Test
- Homosexuality and Bisexuality
- Miroslav Holub- Of Nude Mice and Men
- Newly Diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- Positive Living Series: Looking After Yourself
- Rolf Zinkernagel - Who Is He?
- HIV: The Hidden Epidemic