Arthritis, bursitis, IT band syndrome, fracture, and strain are just some of the causes of hip pain. Associated symptoms and signs include swelling, tenderness, difficulty sleeping on the hip, and loss of range of motion of the hip. Treatment depends upon the cause of the hip pain but may include anti-inflammatory medications and icing and resting the hip joint. Read more: Hip Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Hip
Hip pain is the sensation of discomfort in or around the hip joint, where the upper end (head) of the thigh bone (femur) fits...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Bursitis: Treatments for Hip, Knee Shoulder and More
Diagnosed with bursitis? Learn about treatment and prevention for trochanteric bursitis, as well as hip, knee, shoulder and other...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
What is Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)? Ankylosing spondylitis is arthritis of the spine. It causes symptoms like stiffness and...
IMAGESSee an illustration of the hip plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...
Gaucher disease is caused by an inherited (genetic) defect in an enzyme glucocerebroside. Signs and symptoms for Gaucher...
Sciatica pain, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve, typically radiates from the low back to behind the thigh to below the...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- codeine (for Pain)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Understanding Hip Replacement Surgery
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- Chronic Pain May Drive Some to Suicide
- Heartburn Meds Not Tied to Hip Fractures in Alzheimer's Patients
- A New Hip May Mean a Longer, Better Life
- Don't Delay Hip Fracture Surgery. Here's Why
- Steroid Injections for Arthritic Hips: More Trouble Than They're Worth?
- Health Tip: Adapting After Hip Replacement
- Some Hospitals May Overcharge for Hip, Knee Replacements: Study
- Health Tip: Avoid Straining Your Hip
- Seniors With Hip Fractures Fare Better in Large Teaching Hospitals: Study
- Steroid Shot for Hip Pain May Carry Infection Risk If Too Close to Surgery
- Health Tip: When Hip Pain Signals Bursitis
Joint Problems Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter