Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I developed severe pain in my hip area both sides after having back surgery. I have been told by the doctor after having scans that it was bursitis. I have had injections with no relief. I have had nerve block injections also and had some relief but not for long, had medications, physiotherapy, exercise, nothing works. I am sick of not being able to sleep and am taking pain medicines. I can't function during the day from lack of sleep and increased pain medicines. I have heard that you can have the bursae removed surgically. I am seriously thinking of having this done, seriously at my wits' end.

Comment from: renees28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Pain from hip bursitis is so bad that it wakes me up at night. I can only get relief if I get up and move around. Injection in my hip did not help.

Comment from: hurting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I thought I was alone with the pain from hip bursitis. Hip pain is no joke and is very crippling to everyday life. Prescription medicines only help for a while. I can only sleep on my back now. I am going back to doctor. He said something about cleaning out inflammation surgically. It affects work/home/play; I have pain 24/7 except while asleep. That's if the pain doesn't wake you.

Comment from: TanToes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Between scoliosis that my mother refused to have me in a brace for, and just decades of walking with my body off balance, I developed hip bursitis. Then I had an accident where my top of leg and hip area was slammed very hard. I did get relief from cortisone injection till the last one. It hurt the most initially. I have had 8 or so over a few years. Now I am back to pain in my hip, down the side of my leg that goes into my calf area and then the top and arch of my foot. Constant pain, sleep depriving and helped only by moist heat. Wondering if I should call that office and leave a note for him about this.

Comment from: Jeane , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I just started having hip bursitis in the last few weeks. It started right after starting a new job. I haven't worked since 2005. Since the symptoms started I have had terrible pain. I have seen my doctor and got the shot in the hip. Nothing seems to be helping. I've tried over the counter medicines, ice, and heat to no avail. I have to work so I can't rest it much.

Comment from: gayle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have problems with steps because of hip bursitis. Left hip isn't in.

Comment from: Liz, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 26

With hip bursitis I had groin and upper thigh pain that radiated almost to the knee.

Comment from: Micky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had hip pain for 2 years intermittently which got worse and extended down my thigh and into my knee. An MRI showed I had an extensive bursitis. I started physiotherapy and was waiting for a hip injection. I had that hip injection today. But I cannot emphasis how important physiotherapy is. It has addressed 80 percent of my pain.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

I have had hip bursitis for nearly 7 months now. I have had physiotherapy, ultra shall therapy, two Cortizone injections, two weeks of placing an icepack three times a day for half hour, and nothing helped. After 6 months of terrible pain, my doctor suggested I try cold laser therapy, which I did. So far I have had two treatments and am pain free for the first time in 7 months. I am going for another 3 treatments, so to all who are suffering from this problem, please ask your doctor about cold laser therapy, it has put my life back to normal again.

Comment from: annie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had hip bursitis since hip operation. My doctor tells me to walk every day for 30 minutes but I read on your site that I should rest it. When I stand it takes a second or two to get going as it feels very stiff. Now I have a kind of numbness in my buttock. I had injections but they did not cure it. I can't take weight on the leg so have to use a cane all the time. I need to know whether I should walk or rest.

Comment from: Brudy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

Hip bursitis causes me pain on right side hip that radiates above groin area.

Comment from: hematoma on thighs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have gone through an accident 1 week before. I have been facing bruises around the infected area on left thighs and now the hematoma is increasing and growing larger gravitationally day by day. I have been taking anticoagulant medication (Acitrom) and blood thinning tablets. I think it is subcutaneous hematoma but there is also a bump (the area where it got hurt). The bump size is the same as was 1 week before.

Comment from: R56p5b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

After having this photodynamic therapy 3 times for Bowen's disease, I can't stand the pain any more. Even after nerve block etc., it makes no difference. I think it is bad that they play it down and don't tell patients how it really is, especially on fingers and sensitive parts.

Comment from: purple28, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have cellulitis on my leg which first started as a white spot that I thought was nothing. After two days it started hurting and the area around went red. I couldn't stand on that leg or I would get pains that felt like my skin was get stretched then it snaps. I thought it was going to go away by itself but it didn't and it started getting worse. One night I came home, the spot popped, watery pink blood came out and it wouldn't stop. So I went to my general physician and they gave me antibiotics, cleaned it and put a plaster on it every 3 days. I don't get pains any more but it hasn't healed yet. I've been going to doctors since the middle of September and I still go to get it plastered. The last time I saw my leg with the cellulitis spot it was healed but it was still pink round it.

Comment from: sid m., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Hip bursitis causes me a sore hip when I wake up in the morning. Carrying any weight on the same side, walking any distance, and putting any stressful work on same side e.g., shoveling, mowing, lifting cause pain.

Comment from: Actormom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Today I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had pain in my left knee going up to my hip and down to my calves for a month. I have a high pain tolerance but this was getting to me. I waited for my regular visit to the doctor. I should have gone sooner. Massage and water aerobics didn't help me much. The doctor diagnosed it right away, gave me a Kenalog shot in the hip and put me on meloxicam. No exercise for 14 days to give my body a chance to heal.

Comment from: MeganK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was 16 when the doctor told me I had bursitis. One day I was running the mile and then it felt like my hip exploded. It started in my right hip but at the age of 17 it was in both hips and my left knee. I am now 25. Most days I cannot get out of bed or I have trouble standing, sitting, walking, and laying down. I have trouble basically doing anything that requires my hips to stay still or to move. I have had injections, physical therapy, and pills twice. They want me to go a third time but I realized the more I do these things the worse my hip gets. I don't have a normal life, I can't do things people my age are doing. I have gained excess amount of weight because I can barely move even with the little I eat. My nights are anything but restful.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

My hips started hurting after childbirth 14 years ago. Both hips progressively got worse. I had surgery on both hips, 8 weeks apart, and the pain honestly got better for about 2 years. Then, it came back with a vengeance. The surgeon went in and shaved the bursa again, both sides, but also had to remove scar tissue from the first two surgeries. Further, the cut a 'window' in my IT bands to relieve the constant pain and tightness. This second bout of surgeries only made it worse. I have been to clinic twice, I have had physical therapy, neuromuscular therapy, steroid injections, TENS, heat, ice, plasma replacement, and any other treatment you can think of. Pain medications only provide temporary help, sometimes not even at all. I sleep 1 to 3 hours per night and my pain is progressively getting worse. I have no quality of life and it is all I can do to make it through the work week. I would gladly accept any advice, clinical trial treatment, anything and everything, just to be normal again. This is so incredibly depressing and I can't see any relief in sight. The pain has now spread to my groin muscles, lower back, and about two months ago, the inner part of my knees popped out. I would do anything to get some relief. I can't continue to battle this constant pain.

Comment from: Lindsay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent the last 3.5 years in severe pain in my lower right abdomen and right hip. I took many, many ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, x-rays, etc., and even a laparoscopy and still nothing! One day my physical therapist mentioned a labral tear. Never hearing of this, I looked it up and it fit a lot of my symptoms. I went to my doctor and through more specific tests, found out I have the hip trifecta. I have a large liberal tear, bursitis caused by the labral tear, and bone spurs. Finally, all the pain, the not being able to stand/sit/lay too long, the pain being in such a wide range of areas. If you"re having undiagnosed hip pain have your doctor check for a labral tear.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain from hip bursitis certainly kept me awake, now I have on both sides. I had cortisone injections and it didn"t fizz on me, finally I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he injected Kenalog 40 and it took the pain away for almost a year. I go see him about every year and half, he said not all doctors are trained to put it in, be careful though, it freezes your leg for a few hours. I have somebody drive then help me into the apartment. What a relief!

Comment from: Tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I first had pain when I was around 12 years old and was told it was probably growing pains. I have always been very active, playing sports all my life. I just played through the pain and it usually gets better after I stretch out and just get moving. I was diagnosed in college with bursitis on left side. I played ball and I had to do my training in the pool when it flared up. I had 3 cortisone shots over the years but the pain always came back. I will not have any more. I take naproxen as needed. I cannot sleep on the left side and wake up many nights in severe pain and can"t move. I wake my husband and make him go get the naproxen. It also makes my back hurt and radiates down the whole leg. Sitting for long periods of time make it hurt terribly. I always take naproxen before plane trips. I am not very flexible on that side but just continue to run and play sports through the pain. I have learned to live with it. Try stretching, it actually helps loosen it up even though it really hurts.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Almost a year ago I had sudden onset of hip pain. After an x-ray, nothing showed, so I had a bone scan. An area around my femur showed but was not defined, followed by a CT scan, still no confirmed diagnosis. I had MRI which originally said no trochanteric bursitis, but 2nd MRI said it might by bursitis. I am in pain all the time, cannot lie on either side because of the pain in my right hip. It hurts to sit too long too. Driving my car is very difficult. I had cortisone injection with some relief, and have just started some physiotherapy, ultrasound and TENS with heat. Hope this helps, I`m not sure what else to do.

Comment from: carolinaloser, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 44 and have encountered the worse hip pain of my life. My doctor diagnosed me with bursitis of the outer hip. I received one cortisone shot with no relief as yet. Today the pain is in the inside of the hip it feels like. I'm almost in tears. I walked four miles today and think this aggravated it. I am overweight and hope by losing the weight I might see some results in reduced pain. I have fibromyalgia and this hip pain is much more severe than the fibromyalgia itself. It is pain like I've never felt.

Comment from: peni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have all the symptoms of bursitis. I ride my bike and I am always traveling and doing stretching exercise so I was surprise that I would have bursitis. The pain is on my right hip radiates to my butt and thighs and my groin area. It is a dull pain or stabbing pain or grinding pain and Motrin relieves it somewhat.

Comment from: Jwb43, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I developed what I believe to be bursitis in both hips after a recent surgery. Then I had a second surgery and it got even worse. The pain is unbelievable. I have tried everything; acupuncture, massage, chiropractor, some physical therapy, stretching. I don't want to try the Cortizone shots yet because of all the side effects. It's so difficult to sleep, I have to lay flat on my back all night long. I can only sit for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Can stand for 10 or 15 minutes, I can only walk for a few minutes. I'm spending most of my life laying on my back and it's driving me crazy. I was exercising seven days a week before this and now I can't do anything. I have also tried lots of supplements like krill oil and apple cider vinegar. This week I am supposed to try some ozone injections. I don't think it's going to be pleasant but if it works it will be worth it.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

Developed Hip bursitis over two days of increasing pain. Pain caused spasms in thigh muscle to extent that walking was difficult, with pain extending to groin, knee, and down lower leg. Needed walker to get around. Can not take anti-inflammatory drugs due to blood thinner. Doctor prescribed one 30 sec hip stretching exercise done 4X10 times per day plus ice three times a day. Pain receded after 2 days. Almost normal after a week.

Comment from: Numbleg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have hip pain down to my ankle, and the front of my leg (right side of bone) is numb. I'm not sure if this is nerve damage or bursitis.

Comment from: Retired lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

The doctor diagnosed my left hip pain as bursitis. He prescribed meloxicam for inflammation. He said to remain active, walking, swimming, etc. I have found that a heating pad at night helps; also elevating legs and feet on pillow. I try not to sleep on left side. When traveling, I have found that my heated seat definitely helped; 10 hours in car with heated seat and no hip pain when I arrived.

Comment from: Wendyev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

After lifting a wheelchair into my car I started with short sharp pains in the groin. It then transferred to my hip, and an ultra sound showed bursitis. I had a cortisone injection it doesn't seem any less painful at the moment. I wonder what next.

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had pain in front of the hip near the groin area on my left side. Sometimes it radiates to the knee. Also I can feel a slight pain at the buttock area. I am not sure what the causes are. I can only recall that my left hip is often being knocked by the golf buggy seat barrier when I drive a golf cart on uneven or rough area of the course during a round of golf. I can feel the pain after each round. I never had a fall or a bad accident at all. I think it might be bursitis.

Comment from: Ramaben, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Since last about 10 years I have been suffering with clots in my left leg which took me to the hospital in 2007. I was admitted 3 times in the hospital. Today again I am suffering severe leg pain and due to my age of 90 years, doctor is avoiding heavy dose of medicines. I am not getting sleep since last 10 days.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have suffered since a running injury 8 months ago. Recently the pain has been so extreme in my left hip that I've been waking at night to take painkillers. I read a few days ago that a lady had taken krill oil for hip bursitis with success. I was a little cynical but after only one day of taking the oil I am now pain free. It is nothing short of a miracle.

Comment from: H ip hop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have pain in left hip because of bursitis. Left leg is swollen below the knee. Leg is hard to the touch.

Comment from: jenjoeysmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

About a month ago I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I had the cortisone shot 2 weeks ago. It helped me for about 1 week. Now I'm back to having pain again but worse. Before I had pain when I was sitting, now I have pain when I'm standing, sitting, and walking.

Comment from: mhoward590, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had several back surgeries since 1997, so I have always somewhat had pain, so when my hips and legs started hurting I just figured my back was acting up. But to my surprise it was something else. I stand on my feet for 12 hour days and some weeks I work 7 days, been doing this four years, but I won"t be any more because I am going to get well and take time to heal my body. Bursitis is no joke, the pain as you know is not fun. Today is the re beginning of no pain or limit pain so I can have a better quality of life. Bring on the treatment.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Today I finally went to my general physician and was told I have hip bursitis as I can't move my right leg at all due to the pain. It is like its locked and I have noticed that my left side is now starting flare with the same symptoms which is getting more intense. I haven't told my G.P about my left leg as I thought it was from limping.

Comment from: Depo56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered with hip pain now for about a year. My left side was so painful it was difficult to climb stairs or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been very helpful. If the bursa is inflamed it affects the muscles and if the skeleton is misaligned the muscles are affected as well. Step one was to have my pelvis back into position. Then the muscles can function as they should. Ice packing the bursa (area that's painful) relieved the pain for me.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bursitis of the left hip, had cortisone several times (so painful) with little relief. I have pain so intense and my range of motion is nearly gone, walking in baby steps. When I try to stretch or walk the pain is so sharp at times it literally gives me fright of flight.

Comment from: eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started off having sciatic hip problems that then went down to sides of legs. I have bursitis in both sides of my leg I can't lay on either side at night; it's agony and burns. As long as I sleep on my back I'm ok, but I get fed up with that, and then think I will try sides for a few hours, but the pain is unbearable. It's the same first thing in morning. I do stretching exercises morning and night and after doing them in the morning it seems to help, and I am ok during the day, so it's worse at night sleeping and first thing in morning.

Comment from: glenncrna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 66-year-old active male. I've had left hip pain for two years. My doctor has settled on a diagnosis of hip bursitis. I cannot sleep on my left side. I can swim and bicycle but cannot walk a block, do steps, or cross my left leg over right leg without pain. To date, I have had one steroid injection, a 30-day trial of Celebrex. . . No help. I take 400 mg ibuprofen every third night to get some sleep.

Comment from: BEdwards, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had hip pain for about 20 years. I have never gone to the doctor (until today) because I actually blamed it on child birth and ballet dancing when I was younger. Today I discovered that I have bursitis bilaterally, along with sacroiliac joint dysfunction. I've been living in pain for years for no reason. Guess I should have gone in earlier. I have recently put on more weight, but my pain was the same when I was 40 pounds lighter. I got a shot of cortisone today in my right hip and decided I'd see if that would work. I will start going to physical therapy. I'm hoping this works.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had bursitis in my right hip for one year. The pain is so bad at night. No matter which way I turn, the pain stays with me. I was told to lose weight. It still didn't work. I have had all the tests, painkillers, and injections.

Comment from: Glee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had extremely painful bursitis in my right hip for two years now. Sleeping was impossible. Last fall, I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the bursa, remove bone spurs and mend two torn tendons in my hip. I think the tendons tore because of repeated cortisone shots there. Eight months after surgery, and lots of physical therapy (PT), it still hurts. Walking, stairs, sitting too long and lying on either side are still a problem. The doctor said I should have had open surgery rather than arthroscopic, he miscalled it. I am trying natural anti-inflammatories.

Comment from: punkin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 54 years young and suffer from left hip bursitis. Sleeping on my left side is impossible; although when sleeping on my right side, the left still hurts just the same. It radiates down my front thigh and across the top of my knee. I took a fall directly on my right hip back in September of 2010 and wonder if this is what caused this or if I had it before and just aggravated it. Whatever the cause, it is worse every day. Stretching does help a lot. I have not tried any injections; I'm too scared of the needle.

Comment from: MEGAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 63 year old female. Felt slight pain in hip three months ago. Had x-ray as history of arthritis in family. X-ray was ok. My doctor said it might be Myosits, Neuritis or Bursitis. I had and still have such severe pain that I can hardly walk. Sometimes the pain shoots down to the buttock. I find it difficult to walk when I stand from a sitting position and sometimes very painful if I try to climb a couple of steps, also getting in and out of car can be a nightmare. I was prescribed Brufen, they give me some relief. My doctor suggested I should try physio. The Physiotherapist diagnosed Bursitis after pressing on my side. She gave me some laser treatment, told me to rest, also to continue with brufen. Then I had an appointment with another Physiotherapist. After describing symptoms to her, she also said Bursitis, gave me laser and ultrasound treatment and a set of exercises to do twice daily which made the pain even worse. The initial Physio told me to use an ice pack for 10 minutes twice daily - she has considerably more experience than the second Physio which I attended. I have had only two sessions so far. Can anyone tell me if Bursitis can be cured or not? I had gained about a stone weight over the winter months, which certainly didn't help, plus the fact that I had virtually no exercise due to the frost and snow for a couple of months. I would try anything to get rid of the pain.

Comment from: mimithegr8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 73-year-old female and have had hip bursitis for a little more than six months. I first noticed excruciating pain when ascending stairs and when sitting for extended periods. (I crochet a lot). Cortisone shots lasted about four weeks. I am on my second injection, and I start physical therapy next week. Sleeping on my left side is virtually impossible. Since I have a 45-year history of cardiac disease (two valve replacements and a pacemaker), my doctor does not want to give me anymore cortisone. Being on a blood thinner, I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. I am not overweight, so I don't know why I have bursitis. I hope therapy helps.

Comment from: dlh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 34 years old and just moved to New Mexico. The day after I arrived my left hip knee and ankle were in such pain I could not get up to go to the restroom even. I had a lot of pain through the holidays on the opposite side and my doctor and the ER doctor told me it was minor arthritis, prescribed me vicodin and percocet and sent me on my way. Neither of the pain meds worked. With this recent flare I went to an orthopedic doctor, and he quickly said bursitis and gout. What a joy that was to hear. At least I know what it is now. For those that are having trouble sleeping, I understand totally, and have found Ambien to be quite helpful! It doesn't make me any drowsier than normal the next day, and provides at least a few hours of much needed sleep!

Comment from: ZARA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have suffered with bursitis for just over a year I have had 4 cortisone injections so far, and no relief. The injections caused worse pain for about 3 days after getting injections. I can't sleep I can't walk far and my back is very painful as well. I also feel the pain going across the other hip. I have to take a couple of days off work when I get the injections which I am not happy with. The doctor at the hospital just keeps saying the injections should work and they don't .So what can I do about this as I am so tired and starting to feel really run down and depressed as I cant workout and I feel I am putting on a lot of weight which is making me more depressed.

Comment from: MS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I'm a 53-year old (soon to be 54) female. My doctor thinks I may have bursitis in my left hip but I have not had an MRI done. My left hip has been acting up for over a year now and I also have the occasional sciatica acting up on the right side. I work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weight training). I also take a boxing fitness classes on Sundays. I have had to lighten up on my lower body strength training as that seems to aggravate my bursitis and had to stop running. The elliptical doesn't seem to aggravate it as much. I occasionally take Tylenol (only when the pain is unbearable) and have trouble sleeping on my left side at times. It really hurts when I stand from a sitting position and of course, I have a desk job. I refuse to stop exercising and I really don't want cortisone shots or steroids. My doc had put me on a 2-week steroid RX and it helped temporarily but I'm pretty anti meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I finally went to an acupuncturist last Wednesday and it seemed to help after one treatment. I am continuing with twice weekly for a month, then once a month and a maintenance program. I'm looking forward to my second treatment on Saturday. The day before I went to see the acupuncturist, my hip was extremely painful. For those of you who may have tried other conventional methods, without success, you may want to consider acupuncture. It seems to have helped greatly.

Comment from: Lin W, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 51 year old female who had an MRI last week and was just diagnosed today with bursitis in the hip. I agree that it is the worst pain I have ever had! After sitting for a long period of time, I go to get up and am in excruciating pain, barely able to walk for quite a few minutes. Today I received a cortisone injection and am hopeful this helps do the trick, although I am concerned that this may be a chronic condition.

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Since September I have had hip bursitis which is worse in left hip (trochanter). I have seen an orthopedic doctor and he has done x-rays and said I have hip bursa with osteoarthritis. He says it will go away and suggested ice and gave me pain medicines.

Comment from: Valerie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had hip bursitis for the past 3 years now. My doctor said it was bursitis only after having given me anti-inflammatory pills. I've done physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic treatments, acupuncture, x-rays, with no success. I just bought Osmo patch to see if it will help because no way I will do the syringe.

Comment from: rheller1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have a 6.5 mm kidney stone and was told by doctor I also have gallstones. Something came out of me in my urine just now and it is crystalline, looks like brown sugar, sort of solid but can be broken apart with a fingernail.

Comment from: sato72, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I heard a popping noise at the right side of my hip. After that, I feel pain that won't go away.

Comment from: Tiger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had lower back problems for years but 6 months ago I started to have a serious problem with my left hip. An x-ray showed that I had issues with my lower back and my right hip but showed my left hip as pretty okay. My doctor at the time told me there was nothing more she could do and that it would clear up in 6 weeks! I was not happy with her attitude and after a discussion I was sent to see a consultant who sent me for an MRI and found the bursitis. Two months later I have had 2 sessions of acupuncture and have another 2 to go, but I have been told this has not been the success they had hoped for and that I will most probably have to have the steroid injection. I have to go at least another 6 weeks before I can have this injection and to be quite honest I am so sick of being in pain I would prefer to stop the acupuncture and see what effect the injection has. I have accepted this is going to be a way of life for me until I am old enough and my hip is seriously bad enough for them to give me a new hip.

Comment from: KathieA0714, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Out of nowhere my hip began to hurt because of the bursitis, I also developed a bit of a bump. I received a cortisone injection and the pain is manageable, but I'm looking for exercised that will help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 34 year old female who in February weighed 306lbs, down 70lbs since then. It seems like I have had more problems developing since I have lost the weight. I was diagnosed with bursitis about a month ago now have been on Vimovo 500mg twice a day and it isn't helping. I don't have insurance to go do the physical therapy and am scared to get injections, so afraid of gaining the weight back. I am now depressed on top of it and not quite sure what to do. It hurts to walk, lay down and even sit, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had terrible pain in my left hip and my doctor could not find the cause. My girlfriend who is a nurse said it was bursitis and she cured hers with B 12 injections I did also and have no more pain almost overnight!

Comment from: goldenager, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hip pain from hip bursitis begins after I have driven about an half hour - my right hip begins to hurt and gets worse the longer I drive. I have had to cancel trips because I know I can't make it. I have tired all sorts of cushions in the car. My doctor says, "Don't drive." He says it is bursitis. He told me to exercise. So far I have received no treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have been dealing with this for over 20 years. I am retired military and used to be a amateur bodybuilder. My doc told me that the stress I was putting on my small frame, lifting so heavy, caught up with me. Not to mention the training in the Army (running). I got injections a few times and they didn't work. PT seems to help some. Received Graston Technique for the first time and it actually helped! Intense, but it helped. Also heat laser sooth the pain. My pain is constant and it moves from my hip to my buttocks to my knee sometimes....very rare, even my foot. I love to workout so this has hindered me big time! My job requires me to sit so that doesn't help either. But the pain can get unbearable at times...messes with my sleep and my sex life with my hubby. I'll keep up with the PT exercises and stretches. OH! Rolling my hip and leg on a small roller has helped some also.

Comment from: fran, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

After suffering pain in right hip when walking, a tightness and painful to touch. I endured 8 weeks of painful physic. Eventually an MRI scan was carried out and was dissevered it was both hips had bursitis symptoms as well as the tendons over tightened. Surgery was carried out eventual to remove the right bursitis and cut and lengthen the tendon. Two years on and I am worse than ever. On crutches and won't be getting other leg operated on as the right leg is so weak now!! I suffer chronic pain, on major amounts of life changing meds. Gone form a happy outgoing person so someone who stays in most of the time now. Bought a wee flat a few years ago, two up, and no way of moving on. I am not old but feel old. I can sometime be awake for 14 hours with the pain, called flare ups I have been told. Told no more can be done to help. Wondered about trying acupuncture. Also yoga to give my head some de-stressing as my life is not my own anymore. Keep asking surely this can't be right so suffer this was and offered lots more meds to help. They make me sick, anxious, dry month and very moony!!! I just had to share my experience.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I too have hip bursitis. I started having pain which I attribute to gardening, stooping, stretching over beds etc. and it has just grown worse. I went to a reputable orthopedic Dr. who X-rayed to determine that it is bursitis. He gave me a cortisone shot which helped for about a month or so, then slowly the pain returned. I did the few exercises from online sites. Take Aleve, which works best for me. One about every other day. Now, it is very painful and it radiates down my thigh and to my knee. I will go back very soon. (Dr. also said to do Yoga but I already do the Gym and so I haven't tried it). Not a great way to start out being a senior. But sure could be worse.

Comment from: CR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am a 59 female I had a left total hip replacement in 2010 and I still have pain. I was cut in the front rather then in the back which is not done too often. My doctor said that the pain I have is due to where he cut me since it was so near the muscle. I continued to have pain, so I went to a different doctor and he said I have bursitis so he gave me some prednisone and wants me back in a month. said if this don't work we would consider an injection which I am not real keen on doing. I can't go up or down stairs, cannot sleep on that side and have pain all through my hip area and down my leg. I tried to go to warm water exercises as much as possible. We sill see how this medication will work an maybe I will be able to walk right again and do more thing painlessly.

Comment from: Bassettgal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My pain started when I was 17. It was in my right hip, the same spot where my Mom was suffering pain from a recent car accident, so I used to joke that it was sympathy pains. Unfortunately, a couple years later the ache got so bad that it was waking me up at night, and it was in both hips. Anytime I tried to turn to the right (something that happened a lot at work), the right joint would pop. The morning following a particularly busy day at work, I attempted to stand up to use the restroom and actually screamed because the intensity of the pain startled me. I'm 26 now and I've had that same experience a handful of times since, the most notable of which was the morning after a PT test, shortly after I joined the army. The pain was so intense that I can really only describe it as a sharp ache--it felt like a sharp jab, only it spanned from my knees, up the outside of my thighs, and then into my lower back. This was after surviving basic training with only very tolerable symptoms. This is when I was diagnosed, and nearly 5 years later, 4 of which I was on either celebrex or feldene, and another where my specialist tried ultrasound guided injections, I have a referral to pain management to try and determine why this is so chronic in someone my age, and what treatments might help without threatening either my kidneys (NSAID's) or eyesight (long term or high dose steroid treatment can cause cateracts). I want a solution that allows me to stay in the Army...I LOVE it.

Comment from: jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

About two years ago I overworked my hip going up and down stairs. I could walk fifty steps and my hip and leg would develop severe pain. I could stop and rest for a minute and pain would stop. Dr. said it was bursitis. Two shots 30 days apart and it was gone. I was playing golf and was cart path only. I walked more than normal and hip started hurting. I pushed myself and it became very painful. Rest for a minute and it felt better. I continued to walk and my right leg became numb. I had no feeling at all. It was difficult to walk. The numbness was scary.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis. I am able to control the pain during the daytime with Aleve, but nights are very difficult. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin, which has been used recently for sciatic pain in the hope it would help with the nerve pain. It doesn't help with nerve pain, but a wonderful side effect is that I can finally sleep a whole night through. It has few side effects and my doctor says it is fine to continue using it if it helps me sleep. Next, I will try acupuncture.

Comment from: gpennicox, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My pain was in the groin / lower abdomen area, and it got so severe I was hysterical with the pain. A visit to the ER and prescription for narcotic pain pills were followed by a visit to the orthopedist several days later. A cortisone injection healed the problem – 1 ½ years ago. Now, the pain seems to be back, and I sure don't want to get another painful injection.

Comment from: heart pt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I'm a 45-year-old female and recently had double bypass heart surgery. I'm now going through cardiac rehab. I think I have bursitis from exercising on my bicycle. I have it in my left hip, and sometimes in my right. I'm afraid I won't be able to take medication due to my heart surgery. I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of the pain naturally. I never had this before the surgery.

Comment from: Me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had right hip bursitis since I was 13 from a snowboarding accident. I am now 23 and have had two surgeries and a handful of cortisone injections. I feel like nothing works. Sleeping is a nightmare – I'm having a hard time with new doctors and getting help with my pain. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go to a pain clinic to get pain medicine.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I had hip bursitis, which was treated with a cortisone injection. Immediately I was cured. No more night pain or pain after sitting, climbing hills, or stairs. When the pain was really bad, I found that lying on my back was the only way I could get relief. It affected my groin, hip, knees, and ankles. However, I also found that the pain was always worse after a sitting for a long time. I found it odd that even when I tried to sleep on my good side, the pain was worse. However, when I walked for some time the pain eased. Sleep for the whole night during this period was impossible. I suggest that anyone who has this should try using a hard chair. Always avoid soft chairs or mattresses. I hated sleeping away from home. My wish is that the bursitis does not return. I'm very thankful for my doctor.

Comment from: Val104, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have suffered from hip bursitis off and on for four years. I tried everything – physical therapy, injections, and pain management. Nothing took it away until I went to acupuncture. I swear by it – try it.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have bursitis in my right hip. I can't lie on either hip, and walking and climbing stairs aggravate the pain. Does anyone have a problem with what feels like a pulling sensation across the lower abdomen near the appendix? Also if I cross my legs, the right leg feels numb. With little success I've tired one cortisone shot, ice, heat, and an anti-inflammatory—which caused my heart to pound. Trying to sleep is the worst part. I'm going to try acupuncture; people seem to be helped by that method.

Comment from: colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a full knee replacement two years ago. I did very well, found I could walk normal again and was very happy with my new knee. I started getting unbearable pain on the side of my hip whenever I walked or put pressure on this side. I went to the doctor and was told it was bursitis. Needless to say, I am so sad to have gone through the knee replacement and now have this pain.

Comment from: therese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had bursitis since i was a child did not know what was until a few ago. I seeked medical treatment it is the worse pain I think anybody could have. even with treatment it is still very painful.

Comment from: mammac04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 27-year-old female. I am a stay-at-mom of four. I started having right hip pain with my second child and thought it to be from the pregnancy, as it went away after the delivery. I have always been a very active person. I was in the military and had problems with bursitis. It was only two months ago I was diagnosed with severe hip bursitis in my right hip. Because of the pain I cannot do anything. I had to quit both my jobs -- as a waitress and a gymnastics instructor. I have a very hard time doing my daily tasks let alone getting out of bed. I have had no relief from the pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have hip bursitis in both hips and have had two shots in each since it developed more than a year ago. Sometimes the shot is effective, and sometimes it isn't. Sleeping is horrible, as both sides are involved. Ironically, I wake up with pain in my knee on the side I am sleeping on. I guess from pressing on the bursa while sleeping, the pain radiates. I alternate usage of Advil, Aleve, Celebrex (which did little), Flexeril (which does little) and Tylenol. I have had three rehab sessions and have not seen much improvement. I love to walk, but I know that aggravates it.

Comment from: Sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a 42-year-old female who has been struggling with hip pain for many years but it is steadily getting worse. Sleeping is a nightmare. It hurts to lay on the "bad" hip, but when I lay on the other side, I still get pain. It's not at first but after about 10 minutes or so, it feels like the hip is being stretched. I take prescribed pain killers and sleeping pills or I would never get any sleep. I teach preschool and one of the "hazards" is sitting on the floor or little chairs. Sitting cross-legged is the worst!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with hip bursitis when I was 17. I tried physical therapy and have had no luck. I can't sleep on my right side -- the affected side -- I can't sit criss-crossed on the floor, and I have a very hard time walking for long periods.

Comment from: Trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am a 40-year-old female and have had chronic hip pain for more than four years. I have been diagnosed with chronic hip bursitis. I have had two Cortisone injections, both of which did not work. I've had physical therapy, which did nothing. I am waiting to have another injection. If this fails, he will operate. I am now unable to walk at a normal pace. I am in constant pain and take painkillers every four hours, but they do not take the pain away. I cannot put all my weight on my left leg and have to sit down to get dressed or put shoes on. I cannot sit for long periods or lie on my left side. I cannot sit cross-legged or lean toward my left side. I cannot swim or exercise. I am in constant pain day and night.

Comment from: Someobody19, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am only 18, and I have just been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had pain in my left hip for as long as I can remember and have spent several hundred dollars on orthotics and other "treatments." I am a retired gymnast and now I am a gymnastics coach. I have taken so much ibuprofen and Tylenol over the years that it doesn't even work anymore. The doctor says I may have it for the rest of my life, and since pain meds don't work, I'm pretty much screwed. Because of my job, I can't let it rest either. I'm in excruciating pain almost constantly. Sucks to be me.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am a 54 year old female, 120 lbs 5'5,(was) very active. I have been suffering with bursitis of my right hip for 25 years. I have had injections, physical therapy, megadosed myself with asprin, motrin, you name it. I had a hip arthroscopy last August. My pain level at times now, 6 months post op is a 10+ if I remain in the same position sitting or laying down for an extended period of time. I am frustrated and I don't know what to do. The pain sometimes radiates to my knee to my ankle. I have had a full spine MRI and Neuro studies. Percodan doesn't take away the pain, just makes it so I don't care.

Comment from: SingleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 41-year-old female. I feel that I'm in fairly good shape and definitely not overweight. My right hip started hurting about eight weeks ago, especially during adult activities. As time passed, I noticed when I sat for long, my hip would get stiff, and it would take me a while to straighten back out. I did physical therapy and several steroid shots, but my hip is still hurting. They believe it to be bursitis, but nothing has touched it yet.

Comment from: DaveyDave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

43 year old male suffering with greater trochanter bursitis for several years. I was misdiagnosed by my ortho who told me I have AVN (avascular necrosis). Went to a new DR same thing. I finally went to a pain management Dr. who said I have bursitis not AVN. He gave me an injection into the bursa with great results for the first two months, went back for 3 more without the same result. Now I don't know where to turn. Back to another ortho or to the pain Dr to see if there is anything else we can do. This is really affecting my life in a negative way now. Can't sleep, walk long distances, etc......

Comment from: Keegan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I just recently turned 24, and I have had painful hip bursitis (trocanteric bursitis) since mid-high school. It's awful. It started gradually, and gradually worsened. I was on Cross Country and Track, which I guess is what caused it. At first it would just be a sudden, shooting pain from my hip down the side of my leg only rarely, then it was more frequent, but overall less sharp. Now I can't even sleep on my side because it causes too much pain. I've taken boatloads of ibuprophen, etc. and I even went to a doctor who gave me a cortisone injection, but that just helped for a couple weeks and then it came back. This really frustrates me, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life with it, but I don't feel there's much I can do.

Comment from: SS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had two falls on the ice here in good ol' icy Colorado. Blew a disc, not bad enough for surgery. After that therapy ended, fell on left hip, yes, on ice! Can't sleep on that side anymore and I can't cross my legs Indian style anymore. Can't take anti-inflammatory, heart attack three years ago. Walk 2-4 miles a day for work in a hospital, lots of stairs. Second round of therapy, he suggests injections, but they didn't work for my disc. Have a 13 year old and this is so unfair that I can't even get down on the floor with him or take walks to the park. Have to take a bit of vicodin just to sleep. Crazy!

Comment from: mmendozm3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I am a 40 year old Female. I have had hip, back and neck pain for over a year now. I had and MRI and x-rays done. I have been going to the doctor for about a year now also. I have gone to several specialists to find out what is wrong and why I am in so much pain. I have been told that I have bulging disks, and other problems. Today I had gone to an Orthopedic Surgeon and he had told me that I am fine. He doesn't see anything really wrong with me. Except that in my hip I have bursitis. The way he diagnosed me was by me standing in front of him and he had me do a couple of exercises. He ended up putting a referral in for me for a physical therapist. I had already gone through that and it didn't help me at all. He also ended up giving me a cortisone injection. That really hurt. I hope this injection helps. I am getting tired of not being able to sleep. I sit down all day at work doing data entry. I was also told that it was caused by work. Sitting all day long. People just can't leave their jobs.

Comment from: Nanulance, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I woke up one morning with pain in left hip. Cannot put weight on that leg to go upstairs. Had X-Ray. Normal - although I do have sore arthritis and osteoporosis. Physio now suggests it probably is Bursitis. Put ice on it, use anti inflammatory creams. Due to having had angioplasties I can no longer take anti inflammatory drugs. The physio mentioned some machine they may use but we ran out of time.

Published: May 19

I am a 54 year old female and I developed hip bursitis after my left hip was traumatized by a car. I cannot walk for any distance or stand for any amount of time without developing an extreme aching feeling across my thigh. It is incredibly painful and it also feels as though something is trying to pull my muscles out. My hip area throbs after walking and there are times when I have sharp pain just from any movement of my leg. I am on Mobic, a relatively new anti-inflammatory drug. It relieves some of the pain, but not all. Yesterday I had a cortisone shot in the hip and I must've gotten the "cortisone flair" that's written about; I spent the whole night with my hip packed with ice because it was so painful. Ice is the big reliever for me. It was the only thing that helped me get through the ACL reconstruction surgery I had and now this hip bursitis.

Comment from: deedee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had this bursitis for a long time. I thought that I would have a hip replacement since my mother had 5 hip replacements, but it is bursitis. The shots are not helping and I don't know what to do now. If the operation would help, I am open to that idea. I am now on an anti inflammatory diet. Maybe if I lose some weight, it will get better.

Comment from: balletdancer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 17 year old ballet dancer, and I have been diagnosed with having ischial bursitis. It has been the most excruciating experience of my life, I have had to deal with the pain for seven weeks now, which is most severe when I am walking or, in dance, when I have to do any kind of leg lifts/extensions. 2 weeks after I first felt the symptoms I had to carry on and do a two hour performance despite how much agony I was in and having nothing but Neurofin to relieve the pain. I'm finally starting to get better now. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone. Good luck to other sufferers in their recovery.

Comment from: CenterbarS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm only 23 but I experience painful bursitis in my left hip after going for runs or doing a lot of walking. It's strange to me because I've been physically active for a long while. It's painful but I dont want to gain weight and I enjoy working out. I've found that it's less painful after taking 2 ibuprofen.

Comment from: stacy v, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had hip bursitis for six months. I have tried every arthritis medicine and none of it worked. My doctor put me on Cymbalta and I finally got relief. So, ask your doctor to have you try it. I was sleeping two hours a night because the pain was so intense; now I'm sleeping better and feel better.

Comment from: mikkip, 19-24 (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with bursitis a year ago. It was due to injury. I have pain meds for it and I put ice on it when the pain is unbearable. Putting heat on it doesn't really do much for me. My grandparents took me into the minor ER for it a year ago when I was having horrible pain that is the only symptoms I had.

Comment from: Joanie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 68 year old woman who is very active. I ride a motorcycle; I walk, swim, do yard work, take care of my grandkids several times a week, but recently had to slow down because of hip pain. So many different diagnosis, maybe lyme, maybe hip deterioration, maybe arthritis and then today bursitis. I had two cortisone shots one in each hip, hurt like hell, but tonight I'm feeling a little bit better not great but better. I am following up with rehab 3 days a week for a month to see if that helps. I also found out today that I do have a degenerative situation going on in my neck that is not helping, but we decided to deal with one health issue at a time. I'm just glad that I have found a doctor who is willing to help me with more than just pain pills. I'll write again in 4 weeks. I plan to go back to walking tomorrow.

Comment from: Georgiapeach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I'm a 54 year old woman that was diagnosed with bursitis and muscle spasms today. My MD gave me a few options. The first was anti-inflammatory, ice and muscle relaxers, all of which I was already using on my own with very little relief. I decided for choice #2 cortisone shots, one in my lower back and one in my hip muscle. Shots didn't hurt since they were given into the muscles. So glad I got them because I'm feeling so much better now. Hope this will help the problem for a long time. He was pretty confident it would. So anyone afraid of the shots don't be, they numb the area and I barely felt a thing!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am 29 years old and was just diagnosed with bursitis and I am in so much pain it ain't funny. I can't walk and I can hardly bend, sit, nothing without pain shooting up and down my leg and into my back, it is driving me nuts. I have four kids and so great full for them because even though they are only 12, 9, 8, 4, they help me so much all the time. I am taking pain meds which barley help and it's so hard to sleep and I just don't know what to do. I wake up in tears because the pain is so bad and I have my kids trying to confront me and I am great full to have an awesome doctor who is helping me threw everything, I will not do shots cause they do NOT WORK PERIOD.

Comment from: bluedoor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I am 78 year old curmudgeon with a reasonably low pain threshold. I had my right hip replaced in 2000. My left in 2002. 2006 left knee replacement. Now April 2011, for no apparent reason, my right hip hurts a lot. I see my ortho and he says bursitis .For the past three days my pain has been the worst.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had hip bursitis for 2 years. Steroid injection one side with an hour's relief. Not advised to rest, used ice so I could return to work same day. Now both hips are affected, ibuprophen gives some relief but can't take more than 10 daily or else I'll have an upset stomach. I have osteoporosis, so I'm also limited to a number of steroid injections! Walking up stairs or uphill is too painful (can't exercise)! I'm not overweight but living like this is terrible.

Comment from: Jodi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 22 year old female. A bit young to be diagnosed with bursitis of both of my hips right? My right hip is far worse then my left. I don't know how I developed bursitis. About 5 months ago in November I overdosed on opiates and woke up in the hospital in excruitating pain. I felt as though I was in a car wreck. I recieved xrays, as well as an MRI and soon after was diagnosed by a team of doctors with bursitis of the hips. The doctors assumed I developed it from laying in one position for too long while unconcious after my overdose. I can't walk far distances, sit indian style or simply put on a pair of jeans without feeling the stiff pain in my hips. At first I couldn't lay on either hip while sleeping and even sitting for long periods of time became difficult. My hips feel swollen on both sides, and also feel stiff.

Published: March 21

I'm 24 years old, very active, and tired of the pain. Mine began because of the way that I sleep. I have slept on my left side for years. I have had the injections and I really am against them. I was wondering if there was a surgery that was possible, but I don't want to create more problems for myself. There is no pain in my right hip but then again I don't sleep on that hip. Just waiting for some relief!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter