Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Constance , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have extreme pain all day from hip bursitis. I've had the cortisone injection and it made my pain worse. I've been dealing with this for almost 2 years.

Comment from: Mabel, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have rheumatoid arthritis and quite often have hip bursitis that inflames quite badly making it hard to be on my feet for any length of time. I purchased a small ultrasound kit online several years ago and it really helps a lot, in fact, I notice a difference very quickly after just using it for 5 minutes.

Comment from: Earthangel23, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a hip replacement over 3 years ago, but it seems that my hip just will not heal. My doctor says I have bursitis in that hip, but today my leg hurts really bad, I didn't do anything to aggravate it. It got so bad that I was actually having to drag it behind me just like I had to do before I had the surgery. It is swollen, painful in my thigh and burning again, I simply don't understand why I can't touch the leg without pain and I can't even lie on my right side ever again. It is hopeless to think I will ever recover and I am becoming very depressed again because I just want to go back to work and have a life again. Every time I take one step forward it seems I go 2 steps backwards.

Comment from: meandmidget, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis a few years ago. I wake every night and have to change sides. This morning at 3 it was terrible. The worst yet, I even had a sight fever. Tons of nasty chills. This made the pain unbearable! I suffer from chronic pancreatitis so I have strong narcotics. I took one at 3 am. I was barely able to walk at 7 still in pain but I took myself to the hospital. I spent 11 hours there and had x-rays, urine and blood tests, and 2 MRIs. I was given prednisone and Flexeril. The side effect of the prednisone is pancreatitis. Going to be a scary couple of days.

Comment from: KW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My pain began 8 months ago after sitting for an extended period of time over a one week period on a soft couch. Lying down to sleep was impossible due to the shooting pain in my left hip. After finally being diagnosed with bursitis, the doctor said there is basically nothing that can be done for it other than taking Aleve. No walking or hiking, no exercise. I can only sit on a wooden chair as soft surfaces cause too much pain. As with others, it is very depressing and sleep is fitful.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had hip bursitis for nearly 7 months now. I have had physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy, two Cortizone injections, two weeks of placing an icepack three times a day for half hour, and nothing helped. After 6 months of terrible pain, my doctor suggested I try cold laser therapy, which I did. So far I have had two treatments and am pain free for the first time in 7 months. I am going for another 3 treatments, so to all who are suffering from this problem, please ask your doctor about cold laser therapy, it has put my life back to normal again.

Comment from: NanaTammy11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have degenerative disc disease in my back and also bursitis in my hip. My orthopedic doctor gave me a cortisone shot on Tuesday in my hip and today (Thursday) my right leg went numb and I almost fell. I twisted when I grabbed onto my table so I wouldn't fall and now I have shooting pains down my right leg and in my foot.

Comment from: Marelena, Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis. I have had shots in my hip and so far they have worked for a good 3 to 6 months. Three days ago it started up again with pain through my hip, lower back, down my leg by knee. Walking is one of my greatest joys and I fear that eventually I will not be able to do that. I normally walk at least an hour each morning. I am so fearful that I will eventually have to stop. Today I am seeing arthritis doctor for probably another shot. Not happy.

Comment from: Pat b., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started to get left hip pain over two years ago, after sitting and watching a show. Eventually I needed to see an orthopedic doctor for my hip bursitis, from there a steroid injection, which helped. Now after the injection lasted two months, and waiting five months for a hospital appointment to go all through the system again, I am waiting again for another injection. I am finding it hard to walk straight away when rising from a seat, or getting out of the car. I was told yesterday at my appointment, there isn't much that can be done. I am feeling a bit depressed today, struggling to walk.

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I retired and moved to a warmer climate one year ago. After driving 2000 miles to my new home I noticed my left buttock had a dull pain that radiated down to the knee, but only when sitting in the car and occasionally when sitting in a chair. After x-rays and an MRI the orthopedic doctor confirmed hip bursitis. Steroid injection provided temporary relief, then anti-inflammatory drugs, then physiotherapy. After that I still have pain in the buttock and down the posterior leg to knee after driving for more than a half hour; even while just sitting in the car and not driving!

Comment from: Goldie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I've had bursitis in my shoulder/elbow before, shots and steroids worked. However, now I have it in the outer and inner hip area. I got a shot which helped some with the trochanteric bursitis on the side of the right hip, but the ischiogluteal bursa by the tailbone is still inflamed. Now going on 8 weeks of tests, taking medications, walking with a cane, tried TENS unit, icing and heat, but the pain is worse at night from being on it all day at work, it just aggravates it all over again. By the end of the week, I spend Saturday doctoring myself again in order to be able to do anything. I am behind on everything.

Comment from: Mar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am just starting treatment for hip bursitis, Graston technique. I had one session with my chiropractor and already sleeping better. I am dreading next sessions because it isn't exactly pain free, but at least only lasts 90 seconds. Better than shots and surgery, hopefully.

Comment from: NoMoreBootcamp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Trochanteric bursitis has been diagnosed in my left hip, I am going to have cortisone injection tomorrow. Doctor said probable cause was repetitive action. In trying to lose weight, I embarked on a walking program, then a bit of spin bike, boxing, lightweight bicep curls and the dreaded step. On and off a low wooden platform leading with left then right leg 30 to 50 times. I protested at the time and should have refused! Only thing I have found to help in bed at night is a 2 or 3 stack of pillows at ankle level which reduces the drag on the hip area as soon as you lie down and try to sleep. I have to sleep on my side because of sleep apnea. I also have a cushion between knees (have done for years) but this doesn't help the hip/thigh/knee pain. But putting ankles on pillow stack so they are at hip level helps!

Comment from: Jenn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The pain from hip bursitis started about 6 months ago and there were times when I could barely move. Throbbing at night and extreme sharp pain if I move has affected sleep. At times I was stopped dead in my tracks when doing ordinary everyday activities. I was hobbling most of the time. My chiropractor makes a massive difference with his treatment of the condition. I see him every two weeks and the pain level is much more tolerable than prior to starting treatment. I still have times when I am in a lot of pain, but am mostly fully mobile now. I do not take any medications. Perhaps a good chiropractor can help others.

Comment from: Ella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I found a few of you described my hip troubles to a T. I'm sorry that anyone else is struggling like this and for so long! I've only been hurting for 1 1/2 years. It's really gotten worse in the past few months. X-ray shows arthritis in SI (sacroiliac) joints and problems (that I've felt for years) with that pubis symphysis area being off track. I was referred to a specialist who decided it was trochanteric bursitis and gave intermittent 2 cortisone shots in right hip, 1 in left. I got only temporary relief there as others have stated. I've tried various physiotherapy treatments, chiropractic treatments, and massage. Massage did actually help somewhat, particularly painful deep tissue in buttocks. I think it stopped everything from getting worse. I need to go back. The only problem is hectic life gets in the way! Struggling to do the things I used to do slows me down and of course has an effect on my emotional state. Also the pain has spread, my whole hip and tailbone region and lower back hurt. Most treatments have been put on hold due to life circumstance but starting next week I'll get back to massage, book in to see the specialist again, and see this new physiotherapist I've only been to once. His claim is the leg length thing. Hopefully he'll fix me up! I'm quite skeptical however as nothing else has worked long term. I'm also at the point of asking for time off work so I can focus on the stretching and strengthening, ice and rest but not sitting at a desk all day making it worse. As you can all relate to, it is a tough thing because people don't see or understand your pain and how it affects your daily life.

Comment from: Del, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a fifty eight year old female, and I had hip bursitis for a year. I have had sleepless nights, with extreme pain sitting, standing, and walking. Life is awful. I had three injections, but not much relief. I am beside myself with it all.

Comment from: Pinky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had hip bursitis in my left hip for 15 years. It was only 7 months ago that it was diagnosed and that was through paying to go private. For all those years I have had to put up with the pain with no diagnosis. I even thought it must have been in my head! I had an injection in my hip in April 2015, which lasted just two weeks. Now it's back again. I can't sleep properly, I hobble like an old woman when I get up from a chair or sofa. It's depressing. I am only allowed 2 to 3 injections a year and quite frankly it's not worth it just for two weeks' relief. Is this my life from now on! I also have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (I had 3 injections in my spine but they made no difference whatsoever); the two probably work together though pain wise.

Comment from: River, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had a left hip replacement in October 2014. This resulted in my left leg being one and a half inches longer than my right. Soon after, I developed horrid back pain. I kept pushing through it and soon I started having pain in my left leg on the outside of the thigh and very severe, about four inches above my knee. Then I developed shocks of nerve pain in thigh. I got cortisone in my bursa and some trigger points in my leg and the pain went away. I had surgery on right hip to even out leg lengths in February 2015. The pain returned in left leg as cortisone wore off. It got so bad I couldn't bear weight on left leg. I received more cortisone and lidocaine patches. It has been a month since the cortisone and I don't need the lidocaine patches now. I have learned to walk without a limp now. But new hip is still about a half inch shorter. I am hoping without a limp, the bursitis will not return. The pain ends up spreading to the groin, into the hip flexor and side of hip, down outer thigh to the point you can just barely, with a lot of determination, walk on that leg. Since I am pain free for the first time in months, I am starting yoga. I lost all strength in left groin area and hip flexor. I hope pain doesn't return.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I just started doing Pilates with a trainer about 5 months ago. All went well and then for the first time I had an increasingly worsening pain in my right hip, which was diagnosed as bursitis. Doctor put me on 6 day pack prednisone treatment and I was pain free within 3 days. I remained pain free for a couple of months and then (after a pretty strenuous Pilates workout), the pain was back; and worse this time. I am using lots of ibuprofen, which seems to make me sick and only reduces the pain slightly. I am going back on the prednisone tomorrow, and thinking I need to find another workout routine!

Comment from: ricoron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

My bursa in both hips started to be very tender and painful in 2011. Four years later and 2 steroid injections, physiotherapy, etc., the pain is getting worse. Some nights I hardly sleep as it is very hard to get a position which isn't painful. Sleeping on my stomach is the only way that I can sleep most nights. Strenuous activity or a lot of walking makes it worse. I take one Aleve each morning but am not sure if I want it at night as it didn't seem effective when I did. I am truly at a loss. My daughter has encouraged me to see a naturopath.

Comment from: Jody, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I am a 54 year old male, I have had bilateral trochanteric bursitis for several years. I can't stand too long, I can't walk too far, and I can't sleep for any period of time because of the pain. I have difficulty getting into automobiles but getting out I sometimes need help or my knees buckle. I have been receiving Depo-Medrol plus shots for a couple of years, sometimes relief is for a few months and sometimes like this last round only days. I find that cold, damp weather makes it much worse. I use capsicum ointment on both hips daily for minor relief and taking hydrocodone 5 mg every 4 hours again provides minor relief. My family doesn't get it, they keep telling me to get up and exercise and move around. A heated blanket also helps me somewhat. I hope this helps some of you.

Comment from: Muffy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have bursitis in the right hip, I want to thank everyone who shares there experience of this dreadful condition, now I know I am not alone in this awful pain. It is agony at night soon as I try to sleep. It goes down my leg right into my foot, the muscles feel like they are twisting, don't ask me to lay on it either because that makes it worse. I have a serious spine condition which is painful but this hip pain is worse than anything I ever had before. Tomorrow I am having the steroid injection in it because I can take this pain no more. I feel for all of you, this is awful.

Comment from: maxfrisk, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

My hip bursitis always bothers me a day before a low pressure weather system arrives. It does go away, but the area remains tender. I had it in my left hip and it took two cortisone shots to alleviate the problem. Now it is my right hip and I had one cortisone shot but I still have pain.

Comment from: Tarangela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am 55 years old. I developed some pretty severe depression after fighting the good fight at the Federal Government where I worked. When I retired my normally athletic self was kind of invalided for three years. I noticed toward the end of two years sickness, that my hip ached while I lay in bed. It began getting worse and radiating to my knee. I used muscle cream and Motrin, well, I started pulling myself up with the old Army workout, being a veteran. I am back in shape again, but my bursitis is getting worse. By worse, I mean can't sleep. It is in both hips now, radiating to the knee and 95% of the time this is when I am lying prone to read or sleep. Motrin does help a great deal, but I'm lazy to take those horse pills and I wake back up with pain after approximately 4 hours. So by my bed is a small bottle of Motrin 800s, and muscle cream. I mention being athletic because I want everyone to know that exercise and great stretching technique, does not seem to make a bit of difference with the bursitis.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have an ache in my left hip, worse at night, and I find I cannot sleep on the affected side. It's worse when walking upstairs or uphill. The ache can wake me up at night. It's a definite ache rather than pain. I can turn it off and ignore while working. But at night it's annoying. I've been to the doctor and she said it is classic bursitis. I will be going for an x-ray. I've been given anti-inflammatory painkillers. I can have steroid injection if it persists.

Comment from: Janiebaby, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had no pain whatsoever until two months ago. One morning when I stood up getting out of bed, the pain was so excruciating that I had to drop back down on the mattress. I made an appointment with my doctor immediately, she ordered an x-ray after performing a thorough examination. I had hip bursitis on the right side. I could not sit for long or sleep on that side without horrible pain plus walking was practically out of the question. Today I had a steroid shot and the pain is gone! Such relief. I am now to go to physical therapy and concentrate on stretching exercises. If the pain returns, at least I will have had a brief vacation from it!

Comment from: Katmandu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I developed bursitis in my right hip after I lost 25 pounds and started mixed martial arts training. The pain was intense. My doctor told me to take a few weeks off and then take it easy for a bit. It got better, I went back into training, and boom, back again. We've done pills, shots, and time off. I lost another 25 pounds. It still hurts like mad. This time I took 30 days off and I was planning to go back to the gym tonight but I hurt as much today as I did 30 days ago. I never had any problems when I was fat and sat on my butt working all day. Now that I'm active and considerably lighter, I'm freaking miserable and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have been suffering for the last 12 years and was only given a diagnosis this year of trochanteric bursitis. I have it in both hips but only suffer pain in the right hip. I've tried all kinds of pain relief - injections, pills, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, TENS machines, acupuncture, and nothing seems to work. I've been told basically nothing can be done as surgery is not guaranteed to work so it's more pain injections. At the age of 34 I can't lead a normal active life and to be honest just sick of the whole lot. Surely they can't just leave me in pain for the rest of my life!

Comment from: Suzziq, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had hip bursitis for over a year. My doctor said both my hips need to be replaced. He said since I have arthritis in both hips, I don't walk correctly which causes my bursitis to flare up. I get cortisone shots in both bursa sacs about every 2 months. It only seems to work for about 4 weeks and then gradually gets worse and worse. Until I decide to get my hips replaced, I will probably continue with the cortisone shots for a while. I don't like taking pain killers, especially in the middle of the night when the pain seems to be the worst. If I do take pain medication at that time, I wake up with an upset stomach. Taking them with milk seems to help.

Comment from: raverbaby88, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been getting pain now for four years. I had MRI/x-ray which didn't show up anything. I spent 1 year at physiotherapy (which was a waste of time they said I had lower back pain), 6 weeks acupuncture treatment (helped the pain very temporarily), 1 year at private chiropractic clinic who diagnosed hip bursitis and promised he would cure me in 4 months. But here I am today still suffering! I do the exercises but they don't work and are too painful. The stretches are good but after 4 years I get on/off excruciating pain that now I am lying in bed unable to move. I am seeing another general physician next week to suss out some options.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

One week before Thanksgiving I started having hip pain and had trouble walking or sitting. It got worse over the weekend and by Monday I couldn"t really move. No position helped except lying in bed on my back. I thought it was a pinched nerve since I"ve had sciatica and broken tailbone in the past. After testing where it was found to be hip bursitis, and some preliminary treatment I started physical therapy (16 weeks) and pain medication. I am into this 6 months and still on pain medications and muscle relaxants. I did have steroid injections but they only proved to help for a few weeks. I feel now like I am worse than before the steroid shots. I use a cane. I swim 3 times a week. I"m losing weight but the pain persists. I"m improved maybe 60% or a little more depending on the day and sometimes worse. I"m still on pain medications. I feel like I am never going to get better.

Comment from: Larky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My back was offered an operation. My knees are bone to bone. At age 90 I shall probably not have them fixed. They are painful. But more so were my hips. I thought I might get new ones, except they were ok. The pain was the inflamed bursar (both sides). Cortisone shots are miraculous in relieving the pain; and even help knees and arthritic thumbs. Only problem is that they do not last long enough. I find regular stretching exercises have helped everything else. I also walk a little and do Tai Chi. I wish you all well. Here is to mobility.

Comment from: riverjohn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had severe hip pain caused during walking for several years now but no other time. I"m in very good shape, BMI 25.5. I work out 5 days a week, Nordic Track and Total Gym. I can work out 20 minutes on the Nordic Track and don"t feel a thing. But if I walk 200 feet and many times I have to stop and rest, the left hip pain is so bad. One orthopedist finally suggested trochanteric bursitis. Before then it was "disc problems”, but no one could give me a description of what is going on there. I do have severely degenerated L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs. I have some pain issues with that but it usually goes away within days. I keep my core very strong.

Comment from: Patsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My hip bursitis began after months of ballet exercises in a hot pool. I was proud of my flexibility (especially for my age) and guess I overdid it. I also have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I have tried everything and will tell you what worked. I injected myself with 1ml B12 for ten days - 50% reduction in pain and stiffness. Use the "MELT" method (foam roller) to rehydrate tissues - 20-30% improvement so long as I do it every day. I"ve never had cortisone shots but take turmeric 4 capsules/day and also do periodic fasting on water only for one week at a time - this also works and is not as hard as you"d think! Low dose naltrexone (LDN) keeps the RA in order and thus helps with bursitis.

Comment from: Shanna2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 7 years ago. I went in for an injection, he did it under some sort of x-ray and it seemed to ease up a bit. I am a very active but somewhat overweight, 5'4" and weigh approximately 205 lbs., but I am extremely active in cycling, Krav Maga and strength training. About three or four years ago it moved to both hips. About a year ago I went back to my doctor to get another injection but this time I went to a different doctor. And he just did it in his office and I got no relief. I tried it again 6 weeks later and again nothing, so I decided cortisone just isn't for me. I can't sleep on either side for any length of time because of the pain. The stretching exercise my doctor sent me home with is painful because it is designed for someone with only one sided bursitis. I am tired of being in pain and don't know what else to do but 7 years of constant pain wears on me!

Comment from: MiamiA1A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have trochanteric bursitis in my right hip. It is probably caused by uneven leg length. My right leg is 2 in. longer than the left; about an inch and a half of the discrepancy is in the thigh. I have had this since May "13. It is quite painful and is limiting my activities. I have not had a cortisone shot yet, because they are expensive, and I kept hoping it would go away. Stretches and anti-inflammatory drugs are the only treatment I have tried.

Comment from: Mtngirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have bursitis in both hips but worse in my right. It has been active for over 5 years now. Occasional injections of steroids at the site have eased the pain. I also have active are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. I am beginning to believe the RA is in the hip joints as well. Walking any distance is a no no, for my hip will give way. And actually walking uphill is easier! I am taking water aerobics and swimming, using heat and water therapy helps so much. I am overweight, so it could be a factor as well; but working on that also.

Comment from: Prayers4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 60 years old and have had bursitis in both hips and knees for the last twelve years. Early on I was also diagnosed with lupus and connective tissue disease. But repeated ultrasounds and hydrocortisone treatments have confirmed bursitis. I have been on 400 mg of Celebrex forever. It really helps with much of the pain and it is not an opiate. I also detoxify at least three times a year by fasting 10 days. I eat a very healthy diet, no dairy, lots of vegetables, lots of water, high protein low carbohydrate and avoid at all costs acidic foods - see gout diet. Light exercise and stretching is good; no stairs ever, it inflames the condition.

Comment from: naturegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a desk job for 25 years, and have been an active person. I have slight to moderate arthritis in my hands and hips. I have had what I now believe is bursitis in my left hip for about a year. I work for a physical therapist and personal trainer, and I believe that my core strengthening has been the biggest help. Ultrasound directly on the bursa helps too. I experience what so many others have expressed, pain walking on inclines, and especially pain and throbbing at night while in bed, unable to lie on either side. Engaging the core when climbing stairs really helps, as well as the very regular stretching and yoga. I always feel the best after my short workouts. On bad days I take naproxen and actually feel pretty good.

Comment from: zara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was unlucky enough to have 2 car accidents in my first year of driving in 2012. In the first, I just had a bad muscle inflammation and had physiotherapy. Just 10 days after all treatment was finished, the second one happened. It started with a horrible ache on the outer hip and started going in to the bum and leg when I was at work. As a home to home health care assistant it was just too painful to work and I couldn't sleep with the bursitis pain. It felt like my hip was grinding down to the bone and there was pain in my legs. So I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid injection that hurt like anything and did nothing but left me with a dent the size of the palm of my hand. I had a lot of back pain from the accident but they said they were not sure if it was my sciatic nerve or 2 different problems. Everything took so long before I even saw a consultant that things got to the point I couldn't walk or bear any weight on my right hip. After a year of having most of my weight on my left, that is now starting to develop the same pain. I finally got an appointment and am getting help but the pain gets a lot worse before it gets better with all the prodding a pulling. Good luck to anyone that has this horrible problem.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed a year ago with osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia of the hips, both caused by chemotherapy treatment. Now I have bursitis in both hips, the left being the worst. I have had 2 injections in the hip, fluoroscopy, and ultra sound injection. Nothing has helped. I can't sleep. I am a bartender, so I cry all the way home from working 6 plus hours. My quality of life is horrible. It seems my orthopedic doctor is just giving me the run around. My pain medications don't work. Neither does the meloxicam. It's looking like disability is in my future.

Comment from: Hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had hip bursitis in the left hip for several months. I have had a cortisone injection, and several weeks of physical therapy. I also continued the exercises on my own at home. So far I have had very little relief. The pain is much worse at night. I cannot get a night of rest without waking every hour in pain. I have tried heat and ice. Exercise and stretching helps more, although walking does aggravate it. I am contemplating surgery. Mine is the trochanteric type.

Comment from: chloe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I'm 52 years old, female. I stepped up miles on my recumbent bike, and downhill skied in the same week. This extra activity caused trochanteric bursitis; literally stopped me in my tracks. I fell, getting off toilet, and using steps. My left leg just gave out. While going to a chiropractor I discovered my hips get "out of place". I had not been to a chiropractor in about a year. The clinic doctor gave me Flexeril and prednisone along with Aleve, I'm better 24 hours after diagnosis. Not to mention I have an appointment with my chiropractor. This pain was worse than giving birth, by far. I cried, and I never cry. The spasms are unbearable. I would try anything if this treatment doesn't work. Acupuncture, cortisone shots, and even surgery. A person is almost disabled by this diagnosis.

Comment from: verde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The hip bursitis started for me about 2 years ago. I run on an average, 25 miles per week. I have received cortisone injections in the past, and have had some relief. My pain is initiated by sitting and laying on the affected side. Currently I am on 600 mg Motrin 3 times a day. Recently I had new orthotics made to assist with this issue. I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy. They used massage, used TENS, and gave me an assortment of exercises. I have improved greatly. I purchased a TENS unit and have decreased the Motrin and continue to run. I really think that this will never go away, but will need to manage it through exercises and stretching.

Comment from: geraldine47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had arthroscopy surgery on my left knee a year ago and just had the right knee done on October 31st, 2013 and I am still in chronic pain; I don't know which one is worse, they both hurt and on top of that I have bursitis in both hips. I am not getting any sleep at night. The pain radiates down my legs and I'm having problem with my left foot. Bottom line, I have several joint pains and nobody seems to be able to diagnose the problem, they keep saying it is arthritis. I have seen the rheumatologist, they did some blood work and said everything was negative, I want to know what I need to do. I got an appointment with the arthritis doctor, the same one who diagnosed me with bursitis and all he did was gave me cortisone shots and physical therapy, which did not help. It's impossible for me to even sit on my buttocks now without having severe pain.

Comment from: Townie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am 54. I am suffering from hip pain in my groin and side after a fall split style on a wet side kitchen floor. After a month my pain moved to the side of my hip after exercise walking and walking up to my 3rd floor apt. Thank goodness, my primary physician immediately referred me to an orthopedic doctor. After exam he diagnosed me with hip bursitis and still unclear about the groin pain with bone structure a little off. He used the ultrasound to inject the pain medicine and steroid shots. I felt ok for the first 12 hours but the pain is back. I am trying to move to a first or second floor apt.

Comment from: suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been dealing with this hip/lower back pain for a very long time. I use 2 different patches one is called Lidoderm for pain and the other is Flector for reducing inflammation and a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit to help with the pain. I love this TENS unit, I feel the tingling from it and not the pain, I sometimes move the wrong way and it feels as if someone stabbed me in the lower back with an ice pick! It will stop me right in my tracks. Then I get the pain shooting down my leg past my knee.

Comment from: Dandilyun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had bursitis for over 20 years. I thought at first it was due to child birthing, and then thought it was fibromyalgia. Last year I decided to see what could be done, and went to the doctor. It was bursitis all this time! I Have pain in both hips, and toss and turn all night. I started getting nerve pain on the right side that would go down the leg a few inches, and across the right buttock. It was painful and left me feeling cross and agitated. Clothing hurt and, the seat belt hurt. I received cortisone shots. It wasn't horrible, and after about a week I was pain free. I went back 5 months later, and this time 10 months later, plus physiotherapy. The doctor mentioned endoscopic surgery, something to think about. I waited over 20 years for nothing; should have gone in sooner.

Comment from: ruthe60, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Had my left hip replaced in 2011 and in late September of this year, developed bursitis, according to my doctor. I did exercises as given and as long as I kept moving it was ok. Then I had surgery on a finger which became infected and I was given two different antibiotics and my bursitis went away. Now, in November, it is back. I wonder if the antibiotics could have done that. I consider myself very active, playing golf, exercise regularly, etc.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I've had problems with hip bursitis since I was 17 (now I'm 33). It came on rather unexpectedly when I was a runner in high school. It has affected how I exercise ever since and I wish I could find a doctor who would help me in a meaningful way with it. All I've ever been told is to pop some ibuprofen. Well, the problem with that is that ibuprofen tears up my stomach. But I have to say the thing that has helped the most with relieving the pain long term is losing weight. Yes, folks, it really does help. I've dealt with this for 16 years and in that time period I went from 180 pounds to 135 pounds and when I was 135 pounds, I experienced a very small amount of pain when I really over-exerted myself but when my weight was at 180, I had some serious pain with even just moderate amounts of activity. Losing weight will really help and I'm not saying this to be mean, but just to tell the honest truth.

Comment from: lindai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The symptoms I experience with hip bursitis is burning pain on my right hip that goes down the side of my leg. There is a little bit of tenderness in the front of my hip and I walk with a slight limp when it flares up. I am of normal weight (129 lbs) but I sleep on my right side every night and I think the pressure causes the pain. I also have back issues that may exacerbate the pain in the muscles.

Comment from: Hurting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 49 year old female. Over the years I would have severe left hip pain while sitting for long time, thought it was sciatic nerve. Fifteen years ago I fractured my back, snow tubing, so this was all related. About 6 months ago I started to have constant left hip pain going down my leg past my knees. I couldn't sleep. I would have to get up and walk around, nor could I sit or stand for long periods of time, which I just thought, over time, was my back. Finally I went to a hip doctor a month ago and he said it was trochanteric bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot and did physical therapy for about a month. Well, the shot lasted about 10 days and therapy helped but as soon as I stopped, the pain came back full force. He sent me to back doctor who thought it was sciatic nerve, had MRI done this week. Although it showed minor/old fractures and some disc bulging there was nothing to worry about so it was not a nerve or spine. They gave me another shot today and told me to ice twice a day, try physical therapy again for 4 weeks and told me take naproxen, it takes the edge off but that's about it, but I'll try it again. The pain sometimes is so unbearable, I just want to cry. So hoping the 2nd shot will help and I can finally get some sleep.

Comment from: Marian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For a few years now I have had pain in the hip area after a dancing injury. I had it treated with physiotherapy but realized, after 3 weeks rest from a coccyx injury that the hip did not improve. I had further investigation which led to the discovery of a hip bursa. I had the cortisone injection the same day of the scan (2 weeks ago) but no improvement at all so I will need to investigate further. Typical symptoms are pain on side of the hip and the muscles around the area and inability to sit for long as it feels like a muscle spasm occurs and I need to massage the area. I cannot exercise, especially climb a hill or walk for very long as the pain escalates.

Comment from: Anita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm 39. I have hip bursitis. It started 3 months ago. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in my knees and nd have pain in my iliotibial (IT) Band, but my doctor says its not IT band syndrome. The pain is severe in my hips, and my upper legs. I can't sleep on my side at night. I can barley walk up and down stairs. I suffer at work; I stand most of the day. Exercise and stretching makes it hurt more. Ice, 800 mg Motrin, Vicodin, and meloxicam doesn't even touch the pain! Unreal. What a life! I can't take this much longer. I'm pretty much disabled. I feel like I will be in a wheel chair soon and on disability. My muscles are so weak its unreal. I'm depressed.

Comment from: Ana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been having hip pain on my left hip. It started two nights ago, when I was sleeping on the corner of my bed, with my left hip on that corner of my bed. I do have bursitis on my right hip. But Saturday morning, man, it hurt when I woke up and it has been tough for me to walk or stand for a long period of time, then I have to sit.

Comment from: CYNTHIA, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with trochanteric bursitis. My doctor put me on naproxen for about a month but I stopped as it didn't do any good. It was worse nighttime when I went to bed, turning all night long from side to side. The pain is almost continuous now not only in my hip, but radiates down my leg right to my foot. I am doubting it is bursitis as I didn't think it radiated down my leg. I would like to know what would be the best procedure to confirm that it is bursitis, x-ray, CT scan, ultra sound or MRI.

Comment from: Sailor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

Do not take steroid injections too often for bursitis as they can impact/kill your adrenal gland. I know from experience and medical diagnosis that is what happened to me.

Comment from: DarcNLvly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My bursitis pain in both hips is sharp, hot and stabbing. It travels down bottom of buttocks, and both legs. I have tingling in toes and balls of feet. The tingling travels up to knee.

Comment from: HJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I fell on August 9th 2014, landed on my left side, cut my scalp and ended up in the hospital for three days. The decision for the reason for the fall was blood pressure and black out. I fell on my left side and had pain in the area of a bursa and have been in pain ever since and forced to using a walker. I am under the care of a physical therapist.

Comment from: Mdgaribay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have bursitis in my left hip currently and have also had it in the right hip. I have had injections in both hips but this time they haven't worked. I'm very frustrated with this pain I also have rheumatoid arthritis which probably why I have the bursitis. It's incredible pain! I feel like there is no relief and I worry about working like this. I'm a teacher and it's very difficult to be around children when you're in pain. Thanks for listening!

Comment from: Yoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered for several years with bursitis over my right hip, and had to have it surgically removed in 2011. Three years later, 2014, and I have to have the left one removed as well, yesterday.

Comment from: rebecca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I never knew what or why I was feeling so much pain in just one hip. I had asked my doctor and he basically blew it off. I am diabetic and was afraid. I went to a new doctor that explained to me I had bursitis and that neuropathy was concentrated in the feet. Boy, did I feel stupid. The only way for me to explain my pain was the feeling that I had laid on a rock in the hip area and the pain traveled down my leg to the knee and a burning sensation in my calf. I was told that it was most likely because of how I walked because of the pain in my hip. It pays to have a good doctor.

Comment from: swimmer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had trochanteric bursitis for 6 months. I went to physical therapy which made it worse. I had hydrocortisone injections 4 weeks ago and am icing the area 30 minutes 3 times a day. I am experiencing some relief.

Comment from: heatherfeather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am very active with ballroom dancing and working out at the gym with weights and on all machines. I have been to the doctor's for hip pain and hamstring. I was told by one doctor that I am not allowing my body time to heal. But walking also causes issues… and I must walk! I still work out and dance but have scaled back on the amount of weight and the incline. I am not overweight. I don't like to take medication. I think I need to back off working out more. This is hard for me to do! I bought an extra thick cushion for my bed top to help with night pain.

Comment from: Ekimnilknarf, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 16

I got off my exercise bike 28 months ago. I felt pain in my left hip. I've been through 3 orthopedists, 4 injections; been forced to sit my life away. The last orthopedist wants bursectomy, slice open… ugh, I can't face that with other health issues. I saw pain doctor the other day, she wants nerve block injections. Now today out of the blue I am finding it hard to sit without pain... what to do!

Comment from: Littlebooboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been suffering with trochanteric hip bursitis for ten years. I have had numerous Cortizone injections which help but cause leg weakening, making it difficult to walk. I am petite and weigh less than 110 lbs, so weight is not part of the problem. I use ice, heat, stretching and pain medications.

Comment from: Pam D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I work hard at gardening etc., outdoor work. I'm hard at work, then from nothing my hip will freeze in excruciating pain leaving me frozen to the spot. It feels like a catch in my hip. It can take anything from 30 minutes to 19 hours to ping. Then I"m back in full swing.

Comment from: Logansmomi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis in December 2013, but the pain started months before. I just kept

Comment from: Twotutor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My mother had hip replacement surgery in November 2013. She had physical therapy and does exercises at home. She still had pain in her hip and went to the doctor who told her she had bursitis in that hip and gave her a shot. She"s still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: julestaylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I went to the sports medicine doctor yesterday and he diagnosed right hip trochanteric bursitis and said I would eventually need a left knee replacement. He did give me an injection in my left knee but did not offer a hip injection - just prescribed ice and two exercises.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I just found out I have both types of hip bursitis, and already had arthritis diagnosed last year in same hip. I have a fantastic orthopedic surgeon. He replaced both knees 4 years ago, one at a time 3 months apart. No problem there! I was back to my old self, lost 30 pounds and felt great, until a couple months ago. Now he says we may be talking hip replacement, but that is still up for discussion. My suggestion to anyone at any age is, find yourself a really good orthopedic surgeon and don"t wait! I procrastinated with my knees for 10 years as they progressed to the point where I almost could not walk. And now I"m paying the price. The longer you keep going with pain and joint issues, the more damage you are doing to healthy joints.

Comment from: Jazzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 38 year old women and I have hip bursitis in both hips now for about 10 months; my mother also has it. Some days are better than some. At this present time Jan 2014 I am in extreme pain and it is making sleeping nearly impossible. I am taking my anti-inflammatory medication and it does help slightly but I am thinking I might try the injections, but just a bit nervous about it. I just wish the pain would go away.

Comment from: Sham, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have recently contracted bursitis after starting to train for a half marathon. I've been off running for 2 to 3 weeks now. I am finding pain relief through ibuprofen. I have also been using turmeric. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory aid and I've started taking it in a drink every day and seen that I am finding less acute pain. It still keeps me up at night but is less bothersome in the day. Turmeric also has a whole load of other properties that are good for you. I take turmeric with oil (only olive or coconut as other oils can actually cause more inflammation) and some black pepper as they aid absorption. Turmeric is quite ineffective without it.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a fall playing tennis a little over a month ago, after which (2 or 3 days) a pain developed in my hip. I thought it was the beginning of sciatica, which I've had before, but the pain has slowly intensified and now is so excruciating that I can hardly walk when I wake up in the morning. Advil is the only thing that seems to keep the pain at bay. An orthopedist prescribed steroids, thinking it was an inflamed muscle, but they have done no good. I am thinking I have an acute case of bursitis and am going back to the doctor today.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had severe right hip pain for about 7 months, my primary care physician has just diagnosed me with bursitis. I had my first physical therapy session today, I am very optimistic that the therapist that has set up a treatment plan over the next two months will be successful in treating my pain. I will keep everyone advised as my treatment progresses.

Comment from: Lora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had surgery last January 2013 for hip pain. It was my bursa. The bursa sac was gooey. The doctor melted it out. I was pain free for a few weeks. I did physical therapy but still in pain. This is now November and my pain is unbearable. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes then I can hardly stand up or put any weight on my left leg. As soon as I can stretch, then I can walk. I am going to try the deep sea krill.

Comment from: trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am in the process of having P-STIM. It involves no medication and is a small device that stimulates the acupuncture points in the body. It is Medicare approved and is helping with that awful bursitis, no more injections for me.

Comment from: 71cudagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a 35 year old female that was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had severe pain, multiple types of therapy including injections, and nothing helps. I was in an auto accident and I believe it was the trauma caused by the accident that has caused the pain in my hip. My orthopedic physician however feels that he cannot state that there is any correlation between the accident and my hip pain.

Comment from: Debiouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I've had what I'm told is bursitis for going on 8 months now. I noticed a sore hip more and more while at the gym but it became acute for the past 6 months which made no sense as I had a full cast on my arm and was unable to bike so my hip was rested for most of the summer (no gym every day for starters). I had a cortisone shot and it didn't seem to help at all. All I know is I want it gone so I can go back to hiking/biking and every day activities I so enjoy.

Comment from: jeansplace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having hip pain in 2010; the doctor said it was just arthritis and prescribed naproxen. In 2013 I changed the doctor and an MRI was taken which showed no arthritis but bursitis. I will be seeing an orthopedic doctor next year. I have suffered for 3 years now and need relief. The pain pills and physical therapy have not helped but seem to make it worse. Walking and sleeping are very painful.

Comment from: MaureenPD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am just told by my doctor that she believes I have left hip bursitis. The pain is very excruciating. It is more when I am sitting or lying down. I am taking anti-inflammatory and pain medications and pills to help me sleep.

Comment from: lucylilac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I fell 2 years ago and since then my left hip has been very painful. After sitting for any length of time I am almost lame when I get up. I can walk it off after a bit, but the pain is always there, sometimes radiating up my back and into my shoulder and neck, making the muscle spasm. I've done chiropractic and physical therapy both of which didn't help. I am 56 and not overweight. During my last visit to the doctor, he diagnosed bursitis and suggested a cortisone injection and when it is calmed down, a course of physical therapy with ultrasound this time.

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 3 years ago (this is a hip replacement). Luckily my friend knew someone who had a blood injection into his bursa and it took away the pain. I made inquiries, and had it done under an ultrasound at the local hospital. I used crutches for four days to keep the weight off of my hip and rested. Within a week I had no pain and that lasted for eleven months. I now have bursitis on the left hip and have them done when needed. The last injection I had the blood was spun and I had only a platelet injection. The blood is your own, taken from your arm, between 3 to 5 mls.

Comment from: Reds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed pain in my left hip rather quickly. My doctor, based on X rays, diagnosed it as arthritis. My hip was very painful from the hip down to my knee and across my left buttock. Sleep was difficult as lying on either side would cause pain enough to wake me and keep me awake. An orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with bursitis in just a couple of minutes my turning and bending my leg. He said I was too flexible to have arthritis in that hip. He gave me a cortisone shot and the pain disappeared within hours.

Comment from: J Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Since 2010 I have had hip pain in both hips (and subsequently had three hip surgeries: one arthroscopy and both total hip replacements). I am an avid hiker and hike 3.5 miles every day, plus am in an active profession (veterinarian). One of the things that the MRIs have shown over these past three years is bilateral trochanteric bursitis. The bad hip pain is gone due to the total hip replacements, but the bursitis persists, making even walking painful. I have had intrabursal injections of cortisone, which has helped a little bit, but am looking for some good exercises that will help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: kayakgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 70 years old and quite active. My hip started to hurt last October. It got so bad that I was limping and the pain went down my leg past the knee. My doctor gave me a shot in my hip, but it still hurt. In December of 2012 my MD referred me to an orthopedic / sports medicine doctor. He told me to get one of those hard, foam cylinders about 6 inches in diameter. Mine is 36 inches long. I also have a 24-inch long one that fits in my suitcase for travel. Well, he said to roll my bad side on it between the hip (not on the hip bone) and the knee. He said it will hurt so bad, you may only be able to stand 45 seconds. He was right, but I kept doing it every day. He said to do both legs to keep things balanced. He said it was stretching out the iliotibial (IT) band. It was like a miracle. Within three days, the pain was manageable. I have to do it every day to "keep the pain at bay," but it does make all the difference. Even though I was much improved I did have the guided injection of cortisone. He used an ultrasound to see exactly where the needle was going. He said the injection would help the inflammation while I healed.

Published: August 01

I am a 66 year old female and have bursitis for approximately 1 1/2 years. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injections, tried heat/ice, and paid meds. I get relief maybe as longs as two weeks, but it comes back. I cannot take anti inflammatory drugs (history of ulcers) and my Arthritis Dr. does not want me to have any more Cortizone due to osteoporosis bone density is -3.2. I've seen an Orthopedic Dr. and he wants to do surgery. I also have a large calcium deposit in the area of the bursa. I'm considering the surgery, if I can get some relief with the surgery, it will be worth it to me.

Published: July 30

I am a 60 yr old female who developed bursitis after a visit to Italy. An eight hour plane ride and walking up hills in Italy gave me a most excruciating unusual pain in my hip that I thought might be apendicitis. It was always worse after sitting for a while and walking made it worse. I have had it now for 3 weeks and the doctors have given me NSAIDS, muscle relaxers and pain meds. The only thing that has alleviated the pain is the pain meds. I am in need of losing at least 100 lbs, but after reading these blogs, it doesn't look like that would even help. My mother had hip bursitis also and hers has not returned. She waited until she felt better and now does daily hip muscle strengthening exercises, which may be the ticket to recovery.

Published: July 25

I have been having pain in my hip for seven months and the doctor told me it was likely lower back strain. I told her it felt more like a joint. I couldn't sleep at night and couldn't put my foot down in the morning without excruciating pain. Sitting was unbearable. Yesterday, I went to a Chinese Doctor and had acupuncture. I got off the table with no pain. It got a little worse towards the end of the day, but I put heat on it and took ibuprofen and went to bed with no pain, slept right through without pain, woke up without pain, and am just starting midday to get pain again. Second acupuncture treatment this afternoon -- he recommends three in a row, then some maintenance as needed. He is certain he can treat this so I have no pain. I am very hopeful. Sympathize with you all -- have never felt a pain like this. Try to find someone who can do acupuncture. Don't be afraid of needles, they just prick slightly and are nothing like the pain of bursitis.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My bursa sac feels weak sometime and I skip when I walk.

Comment from: Nar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had very serious hip bursitis and I took turmeric (root of the plant) and made tea and drank it for 4 days. Since then I have not had any problems with my hip.

Comment from: Theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My mom has had a terrible time of her bursitis. It is from her knee to her hip. This has been going on for almost a month now. I would love to know what can give her some relief. She is so miserable.

Comment from: elsa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

Hi have scoliosis and since my spine is curved my left hip is in constant pain and I was told I have bursitis.

Comment from: christine hargrave, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on ice in January and my left leg went behind my back since then it's painful for me when I turn over.

Comment from: heavenstobetsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I could not stand up for more than 30 seconds without being in pain. I also had a leg rash that was not bothering me. It turns out it was an allergic reaction to the medicines I was given for a urinary tract infection (UTI). A single dose of Benadryl was given. The hip pain and the red rash went away!

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have pain in the groin and there is fluid around the hip joint.

Comment from: pepper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have pain at night when I try to turn in the bed. The hip bursitis is so painful that it makes me scream.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My bursa on my right hip have been inflamed for years now, the doctor gave me injections twice in 6 months, I am still in pain, he is now going to remove the bursa.

Comment from: Skip, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had hip pain for more than 10 years now. The doctor said it is bursitis but it won't go away, instead it is worse. I am moderately active and have had no injuries.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 63 year old female and I have had hip bursitis for several months. I had 2 cortisone injections with minimal relief. Now I am going to try the foam roller to stretch out the IT (iliotibial) band to see if that works. I am a side sleeper, but the hip pain will not allow me to sleep on either side.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter