Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure Treatment - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your high blood pressure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Honeyallen65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I discovered that pickled beet juice lowers my blood pressure faster than my pills, but I still take my pills.

Comment from: Rick J, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, but rather than go on medication, I wanted to see first if there was something I could do without medication that would significantly lower my blood pressure. So I, removed as much salt from my diet as possible, ate fresh fruits and vegetables, and entered into a rigorous exercise program every day that gets my heart pumping. Following what I have described above, I was able to do this. I went from blood pressure levels of over 150/90 down to 120/80 within a short period of time. By keeping to this routine, I have been able to keep my blood pressure at around 120/80. I am a 72-year-old male. For exercise, I do body building in my own home gym for up to one hour a day. My meals are simple, as mentioned above, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables without adornments. I drink a lot of water, three cups of tea and one cup of cocoa a day (with skimmed milk). I believe it is entirely possible to control your blood pressure this way WITHOUT medication. I am retired now but worked in the motor vehicle trade during my working life. Since I have had time to investigate and experiment with my diet, I have reached this conclusion.

Comment from: SHYeoh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My blood pressure was 150/90 in 2004. I was initially prescribed 50 mg of atenolol. After a year, my blood pressure was still around 150/90 and the doctor suggested increasing the dose to 100 mg. At 100 mg of atenolol, my blood pressure was around 145/90, and I lived with this for the next four years. I consulted another doctor in 2009, and he put me on 5 mg of amlodipine and 50 mg of atenolol. My blood pressure dipped to 125/82! I have always been physically active and careful with my diet, and I wondered why my blood pressure could not be lowered. Finally, I was prescribed the correct cocktail. How do I feel? As if something has been lifted off my chest!

Comment from: Neverending, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I've had hypertension since I was 35, and now I'm 56. In all these years, I've been on 14 different medications with little success in lowering my blood pressure. I've had numerous tests to find out why I am like this but no red flags. I have lived and still live a very stressful life and suffer with generalized anxiety disorder, which I keep telling my doctor is the reason my blood pressure can't be controlled. He now wants me to take Coreg, which will make five medications that he wants me on. I think that throwing pills at the problem is not the answer. How easy to pull out that old prescription pad and never get to the root of the problem. I have taken matters into my own hands and see a psychologist to help me deal with my stress. Hopefully, I will get a handle on my anxiety and my blood pressure. I am not overweight and actually have lost 12 pounds in the past year. I don't smoke or drink, but I am fearful of getting very active due to the anxiety. Life is such a downer anymore.

Comment from: eddie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I have sciatica lower back pain that goes down my right leg.

Comment from: Patrick M., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

I had uncontrolled blood pressure (BP) for years. Despite the medication, I never felt well and eventually had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), which terrified me. After discovering this program on blood pressure protocol, my BP came down from 200/140 to 130/80 in just 3 weeks.

Comment from: Tajdeen, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Yesterday I checked up my blood pressure, and it was 150/90. Really I am shell shocked. I think that is stage 1. I don't want to take any tablets.

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 04

My blood pressure usually runs around 150 over 80. Doctor is treating with Zestoretic. I think this reading is too high but doctor keeps me on same medication!

Comment from: Blitz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Ever since I changed medication from Ziac due to the diuretic in it to contribute to kidney stones, I have been on a roller coaster. I have had blood pressure of 229/114 (scary emergency room trip) to 94/63. I am currently on my 3rd set of medications. Coreg, lisinopril, and hydralazine. I tried reducing the hyrdralazine, but blood pressure shot up to 160/100. The emergency room, general practitioner, and cardiologist all act like this isn't as disconcerting as I do. The blood pressure issue came to a head immediately after a kidney stone removal surgery. I don't know for sure if its related, but it is taking months to get the right cocktail of drugs. Whew!

Comment from: papolishgal, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 12

After taking lisinopril for a few years it started to make tongue or lips swell periodically. Spirolactone gave me muscle spasms. Amlodepine gave me edema and ankle pain. I have been on atenolol 25 mg, for about 29 years and it has not been increased to l in morning and 2 at night. This is giving me an more than an irregular heartbeat which I already had. At night I wake up and pressure is like around 150 and up over 90 and sometime 100. During day seems to be around 139 over 85 or so. I am diabetic. So what medication do I take.

Comment from: Javier A., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been taking Cozaar for two years. My blood pressure was 160/90. I think the sudden increase was directly related to the stress and sorrow of losing a Grandson. I am 64 years old. I have modified my lifestyle. I have lost 15 pounds, and I exercise at least three days a week. Now, my blood pressure has normalized to 130/80 on average for the last year.

Comment from: deg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I never can go to the doctor with not having higher than normal, last year it was 150-90, and I was having a bad day, last year check was 139-85, and then I went back and almost six months later, going to the emergency room twice. I still don't like the medicine I'm on. I think it is medicine #5 and I think doctors think you should deal with side effects. The emergency room put me on triamterene-htc 37.5-25 this stuff even has a side effect , but it is much easier to live with then rashes and tingling in hands and cold and hot ears ringing, and itching is the worst. My doctor was mad because I quit going to a specialist on this, because I ended up in the emergency room, and the doctor wouldn't call me and after 3 and a half weeks my blood pressure and breathing went nuts and I didn't go back. I just switched doctors because mine didn't want to treat me for this, but she's the one that started this. I really feel like some doctors really don't care they just get you hooked on it.

Comment from: antipharma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am still looking for an effective hypertension drug. I have had a lot of bad side effects. Most have been ineffective and the few that brought my blood pressure down were not effective for more than one year. The worst hypertension drug was Catapres, which caused me to have a convulsion. I think doctors should try to find the cause and stop treating hypertension as a cause.

Comment from: Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am 47 year old female. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure during a routine gyno exam and told to see my regular GP. At first they had me on Diazide (water pill) and it did nothing so they put me on 50 mg of Toprol XL in addition to the Diazide. This worked and has worked for me for about 5 years now. I tried to get off the Diazide because it has some annoying side effects, but when I did. Wow, blood pressure high again and told not to go off of it again. I have never smoked. I am not a big drinker and I exercise. I am not overweight, but all 4 grandparents and both parents were on medication since their 30's for this genetic disorder. My mom and both grandfathers had diabetes. I have to have a glucose test next weekend. Genetics plays a big role in these things I believe. I hate sweets and I don't eat a lot of carbohydrate (I don't want to be fat). I don't know what to do.

Comment from: mamabear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was using Vasotec for several years to control high blood pressure that, at its highest, was 140/90. I was diagnosed recently with asthma. Before that, I developed a serious cough, which may have triggered the asthma diagnosis. Then I was put on prednisone several times to control the cough. While that helped, when I came off of it, the cough started again. We did that three times. Finally, I suffered a severe nosebleed. I believe this was a result of the all the coughing and the prednisone. We were in the process of changing meds for my blood pressure when this happened. I started on 5 mg of Norvasc, and then increased to 10 mg when I came home from hospital. I now have developed itchy, little blisters all over my body. I have a ringing in my ears and sometimes a headache. I went to my doctor to ask about these being associated with new blood pressure meds, and he sent me to a dermatologist who biopsied me for scabies and sent me home with toxic creams and lotions. I don't think I will use them until the biopsy results come back. I am disappointed in my doctor.

Comment from: kgood1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am a 56 year old woman - in good shape, run 3x a week, gym 3x a week, and yoga once a week. High blood pressure runs in my family - and I just started taking medications for it. I am a semi vegetarian - and eat really well. There really shouldn't be any reason for this - except for bad genes! Today I took it after a month on the medications - 170/60 and have a slight headache!

Comment from: eadweardke, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

trading , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/14 , fourth , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/13 , emit , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/12 , instrumental

Comment from: bananna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

HNP medications seemed to work for 40 years, now I seem to need more. Some medications messed with my breathing. Right now my blood pressure is high and I am right upset. My doctor is not of much help. I am monitoring my BP; and when it starts going up again I take another clonidine. [I hope it doesn't do me in…]

Comment from: andocor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I am a 53-year-old female and have recently had symptoms of high blood pressure, which my doctor tells me that I will have to deal with from now on. He has put me on Amlodac 10 mg and until now I have not noticed any significant change in my health. Here's hoping this medication works.

Comment from: Happyman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I was getting my Blood Pressure checked in my 20's. I was told I had it, then I didn't have it. I stopped until my later 30's when my job requires a check up. I was told I needed to get it checked as it was a little high. Recently I was put on Antenolol-Chlorthalidone and 81 mg Aspirin. This being my first time being put on prescribed medication I was very nervous taken this stuff. I feel the same as I always have which is fine.

Comment from: cariadbach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had high blood pressure for a number of years and have had frequent changes made to my medication. I heard about beetroot juice and its ability to help lower blood pressure, so I take a daily dose and have found that I do not go over 135/76 now at any time.I am 70-years-old and although I will not discontinue medication unless my doctor tells me to. I am pretty convinced about the use of beetroot juice. I also slow my breathing down to ten times per minute every day for twenty-five minutes and try to be aware of my breathing rate at all times.I feel great.

Published: July 23

Last month when I went for my yearly physical, my blood pressure was high. It has never been high before although many family members also have it. My doctor was concerned and wanted me take my blood pressure regularly for a few weeks. It has been high every time I tested it. So today I will call him back and let him know. Most likely I will have to be put on medication for it. I know that it is very dangerous to ignore it. By the way, I am 57 years old and female.

Comment from: oka edobor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was diagnosed with hypertension about four years ago and have been on a diuretic and Nifedipine (20mg each day). But recently my blood pressure has been rising. Yesterday it was 181mg/100. I took 75 mg of Vasoprin with a diuretic and Nifedipine and it fell to 120/87. I guess I should continue or maybe I should remove the channel blocker.

Comment from: seagull007, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

It was confirmed I had high blood pressure more than two years ago. I am now on Perinace, 4 mg tablet, once a day, and Nifedpione 10 mg, 3 times per day. During the past 24 months, my blood pressure has remained on 120/80, and my heart beat has remained at around 60 per minute. My doctor said if I did, the pressure may suddenly shoot up until beyond control. I have my own automatic blood pressure monitor.

Comment from: Flying Fortress, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

MD started me on Lisinopril, standard dose. Made my BP more labile, tending to go higher. Labs showed it was damaging my kidneys (elevated creatinine) so that was stopped. 5 mg Norvasc (amlodipine besylate) fixed my BP toot sweet! No side effects whatsoever. Guess I'm a customer for life.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Had been taking atenelol 2 years. Removed atenelol 2 weeks ago due to B/P consistently 120/80 or below, felt well other than very tired. Researched and knew that beta blockers caused lethargy. Last few days stinging headache with dizziness. Last night after working all day my B/P was 168/98. Went home and by the time I settled down and felt that b/p was due to pain, the B/P was down to 120/90. I did not take B/p med, I took lortab for pain and went to bed. This morning my B/P after night rest is 168/98 with a headache. I took an atenelol. Within 15 minutes my headache subsided. I took my B/p @ 09:30 =140/95.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was on Lisinopril for Hypertension but developed a chronic skin condition call pemphigus which has been linked to this drug. Now I can't decide which drug to go on and have tried diet changes to lower my BP.

Comment from: Stephanie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a 59 Year old female with high blood pressure which is hereditary. I have recently been prescribed Avapro by my GP and my blood pressure is now much higher! A reading yesterday was 145/102! I don't know if this medication should have been helping by now and whether I should discontinue it or not.

Comment from: mjstenger1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Took lisinopril coughed constantly nothing helps changed to Cozaar same problem. Gets so bad can't hardly get my breath. It gets worse at night, but I cough all the time. Now my blood pressure is fluctuating. I will try new Doctor and see.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter