High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include lifestyle modifications (alcohol, smoking, coffee, salt, diet, exercise), drugs and medications such as ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, beta blockers, diuretics, calcium channel blockers (CCBs), alpha blockers, clonidine, minoxidil, and Exforge. Read more: High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Picture of Hypertension
High blood pressure, defined as a repeatedly elevated blood pressure exceeding 140 over 90 mmHg -- a systolic pressure above 140...
Picture of Blood Pressure
The blood pressure is the pressure of the blood within the arteries. See a picture of Blood Pressure and learn more about the...
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
Salt Shockers: Where High-Sodium Foods Lurk, and How to Avoid Them
Salty Foods can be everywhere. So how can you maintain a low-sodium diet and beware of the risks of high blood pressure which can...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Hypertension: What High Blood Pressure Can Do to Your Body
High blood pressure puts you at risk for a number of other conditions. Here's what to look out for....
Related Disease Conditions
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by numerous cysts in the kidneys. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Symptoms, Repair, Surgery, Survival Rate)
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Biologic rhythms, or biorhythms, are how our bodies respond to the regular phases of the sun, moon, and seasons. A medical...
Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension)
Preeclampsia is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine. Preeclampsia typically begins after the...
Nosebleeds are common in dry climates during winter months, and in hot dry climates with low humidity. People taking blood...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Enjoying a healthy diet helps to prevent diseases. A good diet also helps to: control celiac disease, control diabetes,...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Stroke is the third leading killer in the United States. Some of the warning signs of stroke include sudden confusion, trouble...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Edema is the swelling of tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. Peripheral edema occurs in the feet and legs. There...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs in Women and Men
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Renal Artery Stenosis
Renal artery stenosis is a narrowing of the diameter of the renal arteries. When the renal arteries narrow, the result is...
Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)
Peyronie's disease or curvature of the penis (Peyronie disease) is a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis....
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Benefits, Uses, Foods)
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that help decrease one's cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as reduce the risk of...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Febrile seizures, or convulsions caused by fever, can be frightening in small children or infants. However, in general, febrile...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Local ResourcesFind a local Internist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- quinapril, Accupril
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- ramipril, Altace
- timolol (Blocadren and Timolide 10-25 have been discontinued)
- captopril, Capoten
- nicardipine, Cardene, Cardene SR
- diltiazem (Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Tiazac, Cartia XT, Diltzac, Dilt-CD, and several oth)
- doxazosin mesylate (Cardura)
- nadolol (Corgard)
- losartan (Cozaar)
- hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Hydrodiuril, Ezide, and Hydro-Par have been discontinued)
- terazosin, Hytrin
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- furosemide (Lasix)
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- benazepril (Lotensin HTC)
- Lotrel (amlodipine and benazepril)
- fosinopril sodium, Monopril
- amlodipine, Norvasc
- nifedipine, Adalat (discontinued brand), Procardia, Afeditab, Nifediac
- minoxidil (Rogaine)
- Sectral (acebutolol)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide
- enalapril, Vasotec, Epaned
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM [Discontinued: Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS])
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide, Ziac
- bisoprolol, Zebeta
- valsartan, Diovan
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- nisoldipine, Sular
- lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide, Zestoretic, Prinzide
- benazepril and hydrochlorothiazide, Lotensin HCT
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- indapamide, Lozol (Discontinued)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- metolazone, Zaroxolyn, Diulo (Discontinued); Mykrox (Discontinued)
- captopril and hydrochlorothiazide, Capozide
- chlorthalidone, Thalitone (Hygroton discontinued brand in USA)
- atenolol and chlorthalidone, Tenoretic
- betaxolol, Kerlone (Discontinued Brand)
- irbesartan (Avapro)
- candesartan cilexetil, Atacand
- carvedilol (Coreg)
- labetalol, Normodyne, Trandate
- trandolapril, Mavik
- losartan and hydrochlorothiazide, Hyzaar
- Flomax (tamsulosin)
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- telmisartan, Micardis
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- alfuzosin (Uroxatral)
- hydralazine (Apresoline)
- ethacrynic acid - oral, Edecrin
- methyldopa (Aldomet)
- prazosin (Minipress)
- reserpine - oral
- Thiazides (Diuretics)
- triamterene - oral, Dyrenium
- phenylephrine hydrochloride (NeoSynephrine, Neofrin)
- bosentan - oral, Tracleer
- epoprostenol - injection, Flolan
- amlodipine/atorvastatin - oral, Caduet
- moexipril - oral, Univasc
- ethacrynate sodium - injection, Edecrin
- sodium nitroprusside-injection, Nitropress
- quinapril/hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Accuretic
- valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide (Diovan HCT)
- torsemide - injection, Demadex
- magnesium supplement - oral, Uro-Mag
- trandolapril/verapamil extended-release - oral, Tarka
- irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Avalide
- isradipine - oral, Dynacirc
- hydralazine/hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Apresazide
- phenoxybenzamine - oral, Dibenzyline
- hemin for injection, Panhematin
- passion flower (Passiflora incarnata, Apricot Vine, Passion Vine, Water Lemon, and many others)
- coenzyme q10, ubiquinone, ubidecarenone
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- eplerenone - oral, Inspra
- omega-3 fatty acids - oral, Max Epa, Omega-3, Salmon Oil,
- moexipril-hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Uniretic
- garlic (allium sativum l.) - oral
- amiloride - oral, Midamor
- beta-blockers w/thiazide diuretics-oral
- torsemide (Demadex)
- methyldopa/hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Aldoril
- perindopril - oral, Aceon
- dong quai (Angelica sinensis, Chinese Angelica, Tang Kuei, Tan Kue Bai Zhi, Tanggwi, Toki)
- flaxseed (linum usitatissimum) - oral
- treprostinil - injection, Remodulin
- High Blood Pressure Drugs (Hypertension)
- amlodipine and valsartan (Exforge)
- Saxenda (liraglutide injection)
- Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate extended-release )
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Are There Health Benefits From Chocolate?
- Strict Blood Pressure Control Could Help Make Stroke Care Safer
- Health Tip: Control Your Blood Pressure
- Take High Blood Pressure Meds? Exercise Might Work Just as Well
- Two More Blood Pressure Drugs Recalled
- Smoking Bans Might Help Nonsmokers' Blood Pressure
- Health Tip: When Kids Drink Coffee
- Second High Blood Pressure Drug Recalled Due to Contamination
- Measure Your Blood Pressure at Home? New Guidelines Set Healthy Readings
- Lung Cancer Risk Tied to Common Blood Pressure Drug
- Uncontrolled Blood Pressure? Maybe It's Time to Check Your Shins
- No Short-Term Cancer Risk From Recalled Heart Med Valsartan: Study
- Home Monitoring Works for Blood Pressure Patients
- Label Mix-up Spurs Recall of Accord Blood Pressure Meds
- New Triple-Combo Pill Controls Blood Pressure, Study Finds
- Tap Into the Health Powers of Garlic
- Affected by the Valsartan Heart Drug Recall? Here's What to Do
- 3 of 4 Black Americans Have High Blood Pressure by 55
- Enlist a Pharmacist to Help Manage High Blood Pressure
- High Blood Pressure in Your 50s May Set Stage for Dementia
- High Blood Pressure Can Really Up Your Medical Costs
- New Guidelines Mean 1 in 3 Adults May Need Blood Pressure Meds
- What's the Best Way to Track Your Blood Pressure?
- Gene Twist Can Make Your Blood Pressure Spike From Salt
- Control Blood Pressure to Keep Dementia at Bay: Study
- Exercise for High Blood Pressure? Most Not Keen on Idea
- Raised Blood Pressure Before Pregnancy Linked to Miscarriage
- Wounded Combat Vets Face Increased Risk for High Blood Pressure
- Barbershop Pharmacists: A Good Rx for High Blood Pressure
- Blood Pressure Check? There May Soon Be an App for That
- Hispanics, Blacks Less Likely to Get High Blood Pressure Treatment: Study
- High Blood Pressure Might Affect Some Kids' Thinking Ability
- 1 in 4 Medicare Patients Uses Blood Pressure Meds Incorrectly
- Dietary Mineral Could Be One Key to Blood Pressure Control
- New Blood Pressure Guidelines a Danger to Patients: Study
- Newer Blood Pressure Drugs as Good as Older Ones: Study
- No Mental Benefits Seen for Elderly Who Stop Blood Pressure Meds
- Do Pregnant Women Need High Blood Pressure Treatment?
- Stroke Prevention Guidelines Emphasize Healthy Lifestyle
- Hormone Therapy May Up Heart-Related Deaths in Some Prostate Cancer Patients
- Home Blood Pressure Monitors May Occasionally Miss the Mark
- Health Tip: Change Your Diet to Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Regular Doctor Visits Help Control Blood Pressure, Study Says
- Blood Pressure Seems to Stay Lower Longer in Fitter Men
- Even a Little Excess Weight Can Boost Blood Pressure: Study
- Could Probiotics Help Tame High Blood Pressure?
- High Blood Pressure May Sometimes Be Overtreated: Study
- Sleep Apnea 'CPAP' Masks Might Help Ease High Blood Pressure
- Using Internet, Apps to Manage Blood Pressure Has Dangers: Study
- Blood Pressure Drugs Help Keep Heart Trouble at Bay: FDA
- Diet to Reduce Blood Pressure May Also Stave Off Kidney Stones
- Doctors Slower to Prescribe High Blood Pressure Meds to Younger Patients
- More Americans Getting High Blood Pressure Under Control: CDC
- High Blood Pressure in Young Adults Could Mean Heart Trouble in Middle Age
- Controlling Blood Pressure, Cholesterol May Not Boost Brain Health for Diabetics
- Sunlight Might Be Good for Your Blood Pressure: Study
- Green Tea May Interfere With a Blood Pressure Medicine
- High Blood Pressure May Be Worse for Women
- Too Few Americans Aware of Their High Blood Pressure: Study
- New Blood Pressure Guidelines Raise the Bar for Taking Medications
- Common Blood Pressure Meds May Cut Risk of Early Death in Kidney Patients: Study
- Treating Sleep Apnea May Lower Hard-to-Control Blood Pressure
- Black Men Raised by Single Parent Prone to High Blood Pressure: Study
- Kidney Procedure Might Help Ease Tough-to-Treat High Blood Pressure
- Blood Pressure Drug Might Boost Chemo Success, Mouse Study Suggests
- Healthy Eating Benefits Heart Failure Patients, Study Says
- Genes Tied to High Blood Pressure Found in Black Americans
- More Follow-Up Needed for Kids With High Blood Pressure Reading
- Pharmacist-Guided Home Blood Pressure Monitoring May Help Patients
- Heart Risks May Also Point to Dementia Risk
- New Diabetes Guidelines May Lower Patient Medical Bills
- Elevated BP May Prematurely Age the Brain
- Sesame and Rice Bran Oil, Yogurt Help Blood Pressure
- Report Looks at Best Diets, Easiest to Follow
- Midlife Blood Pressure Predicts Future Heart Risk
- Treating Prehypertension With Medication May Lower Stroke Risk
- Death Rate Declines for Americans With Hypertension
- Procedure May Lower Hard-to-Treat Hypertension
- 'Mini-Strokes' May Increase Risk of Heart Attack
- Elizabeth Taylor Dies of Heart Failure
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- Apple-Shaped Obesity, Other Forms Equally Risky, Study Finds
- Coffee May Lower Stroke Risk
- What's the Best Test for Children's Diabetes?
- Heart Risk Tied to Memory Problems
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- Salty Diet Linked to Stroke Risk
- Metabolic Syndrome Linked to Memory Loss
- Stroke History of Moms Predicts Risk for Daughters
- New Debate on C-Reactive Protein Test and Statins
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Strawberries, Blueberries May Ward Off High Blood Pressure
- 5-a-Day ‘Not Enough' Fruits and Vegetables
- 2 Genes May Be Linked to Heart Disease
- Healthy Hearts in Mediterranean Lands? Maybe Not
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- Fewer Americans Have AMD
- Recall of Albuterol Used in Nebulizers
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Good Cholesterol May Lower Risk of Alzheimer's Disease
- Healthy Lifestyle May Help Prevent Stroke
- How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?
- Obese Teens at Risk for Severe Adult Obesity
- New Genes Linked to Obesity, Belly Fat
- Hormone in Hair May Reveal Heart Risk