Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure - Symptoms

What symptoms do you have from your high blood pressure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: rachel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had no idea what was wrong with me, I had a severe headache, and I was sweaty, hot and shaky. My problem was my high blood pressure.

Comment from: cupcake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

With Epstein-Barr virus infection I get very bad aches and pains all over my body along with a sore throat and swollen glands, and feel very tired with no energy at all. I do not get a temperature. Sometimes I have chills. I hate the flare ups as my life stops and I have no energy. Seems like I get a flare up every two years or so. I hope that this information helps someone suffering with this. I can't do anything about a flare up except wait and let it run its course.

Comment from: Oatis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had a hernia on the floor of abdomen on the right. I had replaced floor with mesh, and now have pain around hip and especially in front between my leg and abdomen. I wonder if a new hernia has developed near the edge of the mesh. Walking and standing for long periods aggravate the situation.

Comment from: rc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had no symptoms of high blood pressure (BP). Well, maybe that nasty stroke. Doctors are trying to figure things out. My BP is very high and I am on metoprolol.

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I haven"t really noticed any symptoms yet for high blood pressure. Sometimes I"ll get a pressure headache when I"m exerting myself or if I"m out in the heat, but other than that nothing. I do have a tendency to get aggravated a lot easier which I don"t know is a symptom but I have heard old wives tales of it being a contributing factor.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am taking hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg with Klor-Con M10 once a day. My blood pressure (BP) has stayed around 118/70 until this morning when it read 135/70. I took my medicines and two hours later my BP was 185/75 then 30 minutes later my BP was160/75. My pressure finding dropped to 155/70 but after walking around the house my BP jumped to 170/91. After resting about 10 or 15 minutes my BP was down to 164/90.

Comment from: Jen1809, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I feel pretty terrible all the time with a thumping headache and pulse in my head, I am exhausted all the time. When my father was my age he had a hemorrhage due to high blood pressure and both my brothers are on medications. Last week I had one of my 'turns' and my boss sent me to the doctor where they found my blood pressure to be 181/115. At the docs previously I had a diastolic of 99 yet no-one has ever put me on anything, I'm just left to get on with it, I'm really concerned. I'm in a medical profession and fully aware of what could happen to me!

Comment from: Paula, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have no symptoms of high blood pressure. Actually, I felt worse on medication with BP in a normal range than I did when my BP was 220/120.

Comment from: ron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

With high blood pressure I have clogged red ears, red face, and head pressure.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I went through a period of ill health when I felt over-loaded, particularly in the evening with a pounding pulse, which at times I could feel in my head. My systolic blood pressure would rise up and up to sometimes as high as 190. I was breathless on lying down and sometimes felt a fluid shift in my chest which caused palpitations. At other times I collapsed and was hypotensive. Eventually it was found I had an electrolyte problem due to a kidney condition and reducing my fluid intake has avoided extreme symptoms. I have only recently started on a calcium channel blocker.

Published: August 04

I have incredible headaches. I had them for a while, but when I went to get a biannual checkup, I had to be admitted into the emergency room because my blood pressure (BP) was so high. The last visit to the doctor was for pink eye, but when they took my BP, the doctor was more concerned about my BP than my pink eye. She (the doctor) gave me BP pills, which I did not want to take but did anyway. Well, the headaches stop when I take the medicine, and I don't like that. I don't want to have to take medicine in order to feel better. I know that sounds ridiculous, but there it is. I don't want headaches either though. Now since I read this information, I know that my eyesight may also be affected. I'll keep reading and see how I can help myself without having to take pills.

Comment from: cmaneri, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My high blood pressure symptoms included dizziness, confusion, panic attacks and severe headaches.

Comment from: clive limerick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have recently had neurosurgery. I have been fitted with an ANS model 120 for neuropathic pain which goes down my neck shoulders into arms and fingers. This took place on December 30th 2010 during my stay in hospital the nurse told me to check with my local doctor about my blood pressure. I get bad pains in my eyes and also headaches sometimes. I also suddenly get blurred vision which means I can't read no matter how hard I try. I visited my doctor and had a full blood test s done. Kidneys, liver, prostate, blood cell count, hepatitis and others all clear, but my doctor wants me back next week as my blood pressure was high.

Comment from: paulie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had started experiencing blurred vision and shortness of breath at first and now lately headaches and nausea. I noticed that I could be on the treadmill of 30 minutes and be fine but could not walk up one flight of stairs without feeling totally out of breath. I knew I needed to lose some weight but not that much and I eat healthy for the most part. I had been what they call high normal on a couple of doctor visits but it always seemed to go down. I had to go to the urgent care the other night and when they took my blood pressure it was 162/119 which was not good, they preformed an EKG to make sure I was not having any signs of a stroke, thank god I was not but they did tell me that my heart was pumping extremely high and so they ended up sending me home with some meds to lower both my blood pressure and my heart rate. This was very eye opening for me since I am only 47, I knew I was not feeling totally normal but thought it was just my allergies. Just goes to show you that you cannot diagnose yourself, go get checked.

Comment from: ironman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

My high blood pressure was brought to my attention by a venous occlusion in my right eye in August 2010. I am a 63 year old male in excellent condition with a resting pulse of 54 and a record of consistent workouts. However, my blood pressure has elevated to unmanageable levels since August 2010 with no real change in my life style. My doctor is still trying to find out the cause and a way to control it. I guess high blood pressure can strike at any time and without warning.

Comment from: Oba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My symptoms of high blood pressure started with running nose and a slight headache, but after treating the running nose the headache continues.

Comment from: Sachin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

My symptoms were Irritation, fast heartbeat, rise in sugar, cramps, chest pain, dizziness and weakness.

Comment from: gene mann, 45-54 Male Published: December 13

Headache, tight chest, pain behind the eyes, throbbing temples, dizziness, and blurry vision. I suddenly showed these symptoms in just the last two days. They are severe after physical activity. I worked out last week with no problem but now I feel like i`m having a stroke after just a short walk.

Comment from: Debby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

My blood pressure would always go up whenever I was in pain or at the doctor office, but it was determined that it shouldn't go up that high so I was put on medication. Now I'm feeling much calmer and taking better care of myself. Now I know the cause of racing pulse, headaches, and a hot feeling in my face was all because of high blood pressure. I keep track of it ... don't ignore it.

Comment from: Brad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Extreme headache with nausea. Also tightness in chest and panic attacks. Blood pressure was 160/105. It started when I was in my late 20's. I was never overweight and always athletic, but did smoke at the time.

Comment from: agape, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

When my blood pressure is high, I have dizziness, chest pain in front and back behind my right breast. I also have headache, dry mouth and I am unstable standing.

Comment from: $urfgurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up in the middle of the night and opened my eyes. The room was spinning. It happened all through the night. Went to the ER the next day where they told me my blood pressure was high.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

When I was pregnant that was my first time to be diagnosed with high blood pressure. My legs and hands were swelling.

Comment from: Talounjuni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had high blood pressure when I was 30 weeks pregnant and my whole body was swollen.

Comment from: jakebarrett, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have rhinitis and HBP. People with HBP are always cautioned against salt. I also had a hemorrhagic stroke three months ago.

Comment from: Busy mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I didn't know what was going on. I was dizzy. My vision was blurred and I was feeling like I couldn't get a big yawn in. When I went to emergency I thought the doctors going to think I'm crazy, wasting their time. They didn't, turns out my blood pressure was 212/180. Take yourself seriously. You will know if things don't feel right.

Comment from: smile :), 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I didn't know I had high bp until I became pregnant. My partner and I were trying for 2 years. Unfortunately due to the high blood pressure I had a miscarriage at 4 weeks. After many ultrasounds, bp tests and blood tests, the doctor worked out it may be caused by kidney sterosis (narrowing of the kidney artery),after a stressful operation for that my bp is still high and I'm still on medication, only thing left is to change my lifestyle.

Comment from: Anastasie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

Because of my high blood pressure I woke up with a severe headache, nausea, I vomited, the symptoms increased with movement. I was extremely sensitive to sounds and movement around me.

Comment from: ariel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

In 2002 I was a healthy and active 51 year old woman. After my road accident, I was extremely disabled due to a head injury. I had a lot of pain and symptoms came out little by little since I suffered from a neurological injury. One of these symptoms was acute chest pain with tingling sensations that went down my arms to my fingers. I was misdiagnosed and did not receive any kind of therapy or help until 2005. Then, I was properly diagnosed with TBI (traumatic brain injury). In 2010, my doctor sent me for an agiogram to see if there was any heart blockage, but my heart was strong and there was no blockage. Finally, I switched doctors. My new doctor had me wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. The results showed that my blood pressure soared when I was sleeping or resting during the day. She put me on Ramipril and I saw almost immediate results. I rarely have the chest pain and numbing sensations now and feel much better.

Comment from: Vivienne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 38 year old female. When I was pregnant I had severe edema and an extra beat in my heart rate. I was tired and short of breath. I could not walk for more than 400m. I slept with a continental pillow and two standard pillows so I could breathe easier. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest if I didn't use all the pillows. The doctor thought the hypertension was pregnancy induced. When I went for my post natal check up my BP was 156/98.The doctor was given a 5mg per day enalapril prescription. A month later I was feeling light headed and unsteady on my feet. I had sharp pains in my chest. My BP was 170/140.I was given 10 mg enalapril plus a hypotone. I am taking 10 mg enalapril and two hypotones in the morning and in the evening. I feel unbalanced when I don't take my medication.

Comment from: goldengirl55, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I went to the doctor for a checkup. She said I had developed high blood pressure. I told her she was nuts I felt great. After other doctors had told me the same thing for two years, I decided to take the pills. I thought you had to feel BAD to have High BP. MY new doc said that I had no symptoms of the disease and that's what makes this so important to get help. I never thought I would have it. I am a big walker. I feel the same way I did before the pills, but it's in control now. I am happy about that. Thank you.

Comment from: AudClark., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am taking Nifedipine & Atenolol tablets for my high blood pressure, but my ankles & feet swell up.

Comment from: hilda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My nose has been bleeding in the last week almost every day. This morning while my nose was bleeding I checked my pressure and was 150/140. I also have headaches and feel tired and sleepy.

Comment from: Glen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Was feeling unusually tired, went for a full medical, turned 60, thought it was just an age thing, Doctor took my blood pressure it was a High of 172/97. I have been on menaporsal for the last 15 years, not taking any HR for that. Now I'm taking High blood pressure medication.

Comment from: metwo, 55-64 Female Published: January 12

I have high blood pressure and I am taking metropolol 100mg and Lisinopril 20 mg. My BP is normal for a while, but recently I noticed that the readings at night are very low, like 85 by 45 with pulse at 80 plus.

Comment from: Judith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was edgy, crabby and had a bad headache.

Comment from: starechnik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

My blood pressure is almost always at half the diastolic pressure is half of the systolic. When asking doctors, I get evasive answers. My blood pressure is : systolic 140 - 170 diastolic is 65 -80. Arterial hardening would create back pressure, so there should be not that much disparity.

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I did not realize that my feeling of dizziness / light headedness had anything to do with my blood pressure. I have a bad cough and while I was being examined the doc took my blood pressure. On Monday it was 158/96 and yesterday it was 134/81. Had been feeling dizzy for a few days but as there was no doctor around. I did not test it before Monday.

Comment from: satish, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My symptoms of high blood pressure included headache, dizziness, and blurred vision.

Comment from: benmax1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 57 year old male, high blood pressure started when I was 51. I am having a tough time treating this, I do not smoke or drink. About 10 days ago I went blind in my left eye, found out it is Central retinal Artery occlusion. I will not get my vision back. I had all other coronary test done and they say my heart is fine take an aspirin a day. My blood pressure is now down to 148/90 with this new medicine. Anyone reading this please take your blood pressure serious or you can lose your sight.

Comment from: dujean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 07

My symptom is a pounding headache. Since I do not normally have a headache, when this happens, I immediately take my blood pressure. The reading is usually 180 (systolic) or higher, and 90 and above.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter