Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure - Treatment

Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ummi, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I became hypertensive when I was pregnant, then I was taking Aldomet. After giving birth I started taking moringa oleifera leaves and seeds, they have been very helpful even more than some anti-hypertension drugs.

Comment from: Fuming, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

On several occasions, I was switched to generic blood pressure medicine by my insurance company and retirement fund. This led me to be hospitalized on a few occasions as the generic does not work for me. I politely wrote to them and explained my situation and enclosed letters to confirm this from my doctor. Health insurance is included in my retirement package, but I do have to pay for this, of course it is not the same as the working individual, but I do pay. Anyway, if I want and need the name brand, I have to pay the larger amount of the coverage, which is 80% not the 20% working people do. This puts a strain on what I have saved for and to live with from my retirement benefits. Since the FDA approved all these generic drugs, mine one of them, it is getting so that the insurance companies and retirement programs have a say-so in your health, not your doctor. I would like to know who gave them that right. Also, I now get my medicine from Canada simply because it is still cheaper for me to get the name brand from them than it is here. That's another thing I would like to know: Why is it cheaper there than here? Come on people, we ship it there then we have to buy it from them cheaper? There is something terribly wrong with this picture. Retired In Florida

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I developed hypertension when pregnant with my son 13 years ago. It never went away after the birth. I have taken a number of drugs to control it. I have been on 50mg of Metoprolol XL and 20 mg of Lisinopril for a while now. Although there now is a national shortage of Metoprolol XL, so my doctor had to change me to 25 mg of Atenolol twice a day until Metoprolol is available again. All the changes of drugs have been made because of insurance formulary restrictions. As a pharmacist myself, this is very detrimental to staying compliant on one's drug therapy! I wish we had nationalized health care.

Comment from: rom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am taking Olmeglare 40/5 since last 15 days. Previous blood pressure was 180/100 now it is 130/80.

Comment from: lwilliams6540, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have high blood pressure of 208/90 and my doctor put me on clonidine 0.1mg. Everything was good, blood pressure was 118/55 until 3 days ago when the higher one (systolic) went higher 160 to 180/65. I have called my doctor but no response as of now. I"ll try calling again.

Comment from: Perpparim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I think there is a solution against high blood pressure easier than medicaments. Two years ago I used to take ramipril 10 mg a day and I was in trouble with high blood pressure too many times. I found the solution by accident and since then I have taken ramipril 2.5 mg a day no more trouble with high blood pressure.

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve just started monitoring and charting my blood pressure. Most of the time my systolic side is between 140 and 150. The bad news is my diastolic side is sometimes over 110. I"m going to be seeing the doctor Tuesday, the 27th of May 2014. I had a blood workup done and faxed over to my cardiologist, and I will show him all the charting and monitoring I"ve been doing on my own.

Comment from: tammyjo71, 35-44 Female Published: September 16

I have high blood pressure, and I am now taking three pills a day for it. Well, I was on two, but it was going up quite a bit to like 170/100, so my doctor put me on a third pill, which causes my ankles to swell all the time. And, I am trying to quit smoking and so far I am doing well with. I want people to know, if you are dizzy a lot, at times have red cheeks, feel tried a lot, your heart feels like it races at times, please get your blood pressure checked, these were my signs, but everyone is different. My doctors told me that with my blood pressure going up and up, my heart would like explode…matter of speech. We must control our blood pressure because it can lead to worse health problems.

Comment from: chioma, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I was diagnosed with myocardial infection. I was not admitted in the hospital was just checked and given some drugs. I thought I was OK and continued my life. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and on a CT scan it showed my heart was enlarged. The doctors said that I was not properly taken care of that was what led to this situation. They said I should have been taking blood pressure drugs since then and it wouldn't have gotten this way. They advised me that I take my drugs religiously and that the situation will improve. I am presently on 5mg Lisinopril everyday and 12.5mg Esidrix every other day. My BP is average on 128/76 mm/HG and I pray it stays that way.

Comment from: kitcha, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

I have high blood pressure for over 20 years and high cholesterol for five years. High blood pressure was brought under control initially with beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, then ace inhibitors and others. Now in the month of May I had hypotension (very low blood pressure) 73/53 collapsed and admitted in emergency and recovered in a few hours with a blood pressure of 130/90 with normal saline infusion for over 18 hours. I had to stay in the hospital for 6 hours in the emergency and two days in the general ward. This happened because of concomitant intake of 20 mg Olemesartan, 450mg of Lithium, 300mg of Seroquel (Quetiapine), 500mg of Sodium Valproate (Valpro) this was due to shock and hypotension secondary to medications and interactions. Doctors told me not to take any antihypertensive yet his assistant doctor left a note to revise and take proper antihypertensive. I came to know I can take minimal dose of Lasik I need more appropriate information in this matter.

Comment from: rebecca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had high blood pressure for about 10 years. I also have a genetic disorder that puts me at a higher risk for a stroke. So I am trying to keep both in control by relieving my high-stress life. I am looking into tai chi or bio-feedback to try to battle both.

Comment from: Glenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I just recently discovered that I was at risk when I became feeling unwell. I suggested to my doctor that I felt I may have a cardio problem happening and I was ignored as I was being treated for a respiratory infection. He did not even offer to take my blood pressure. He said I was too young and in too good of shape to have those worries. Well I went out and bought a cuff. Sure enough I was running anywhere from 188/140 to 164/134. I went back to the doctor got diagnosed and I am currently trying a beta to lower the blood pressure and to take the stress off of my heart. I am very tired still. Now I am going to demand some tests to determine if I have any damage. If your doctor ignores you, demand that your blood pressure be taken. It can save your life.

Comment from: Mick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was 16. I started taking nifedipine as a maintenance medication when I was 18. Still, even with the medicine, I have symptoms of hypertension, so I tried to lower my sodium in a slow process and exercise every day. My blood pressure eventually became normal, and I now am asymptomatic as well.

Comment from: Israel, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have been on nifedipine and a water tablet for my hypertension for some time. There seems to be no improvement. I get headaches and lately problems with constipation and some abdominal pains. Headaches are doubt related to the hypertension but the abdominal pains, I am not sure. Could they be the cause of elevated hypertension? The headaches tend to be around the eyes. They get tired and sore too early in the day. I wear glasses and have considered them to be part cause of the problem. What next can I do?

Comment from: m72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I bought a treadmill and started running 22 minutes a day and I bought a really good vitamin that has brought my blood pressure down to normal range. My blood pressure was right on the edge of being high. I also start using Mrs. Dash in the place of salt. I hope this information will help.

Comment from: GUS ALLEN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have high blood pressure and have taken a lot of different medicines and I have found Minoxidil works best for me.

Comment from: Moti, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 70 years old with basic high blood pressure/hypertension for the last five years. When I smoked two to three packs a day and had a few drinks every day, I did not have high blood pressure! When my doctor discovered my high blood pressure, a prosthetic aortic valve was inserted. That was five years ago. I have not even touched a cigarette since, but I do have two large drinks every evening. I walk four kilometers every day and remain physically and mentally active. I have had to change medicines almost every three to six months. I also take a water pill every other day to prevent my feet from swelling.

Published: June 06

I am suffering from essential hypertension since 37 years I have taken various treatments & combinations of drugs to control it. I have to check regularly observe discipline in food habits exercise regularly. I have no cholesterol or diabetes. Presently I take Valent Aten 100 in morning & Catapres with Aspirin 75 in the night. I develop resistance to drugs & have to have them changed from time to time. I have to measure pressure regularly. It is the spot check which catches pressure & I have to visit the doctor to have the drugs changed.

Published: June 02

The best treatment that has been effective for my high blood pressure is simply walking every other day. I began to feel great and more alert!

Comment from: Boomer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Drinking a glass of beet juice (I actually drink red beet crystals in a glass of grapefruit juice) lowers my blood pressure to the same degree as taking two meds (Toprol and Hyzaar) prescribed by my doctor. It's more expensive, my insurance would pay for the meds and I have to pay for the red beet crystals; however, I feel better drinking the juice. It does not have the side effects of waking up in the morning with my heart pounding and I have better energy all day.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I suffer from HBP, I have had had it for 16 1/2 years, in my case it is hereditary. It was noticed when I was pregnant with my son. I am on Atenolol tablets 2 a day which I take in the morning (50mg), and I take 2 Amlodipine ( 5mg) at night.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I went to see my Doctor who told me to see her after 2 weeks as my pressure had gone up. When I went back to see her she told me to see her again after 2 weeks. Somehow I got busy but after 3 months I ended up in hospital with a stroke. Good enough I recovered and was put 2.5 mg aprinox and some cholesterol tablets. I have since stopped taking the cholesterol tablets, but I am still taking the hp tablets.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have been treated for high blood pressure for 9 years. It has been climbing higher for about four years, (175/100 or higher). Recently my doctor doubled my lisinopril from 10mg to 20mg and added a diuretic (.25htc). My blood pressure has dropped to 98/60. Sometimes it will go up to 117/90. I am extremely tired.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I am 59 and have just noticed higher blood pressure readings of 139/84 to 159/95 after spending my entire life below 120/80.I am taking intrathecal morphine by implanted pump for 10 years and 60mg of cymbalta for 2 months. I have complex regional pain syndrome since 1995. My pump has 120micrograms of morphine sulfate and a much lesser amount of bibufercaine. I was an active athlete until 3 years ago when pain became too unbearable upon lasting exercise. I take Nexium 40mg at night. What is your recommendation regarding starting hypertension drug therapy? Most of the adults in my family have hypertension at age 53 to 54.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with hypertension (170/110) at 43 years old. I have no other risk factors, low cholesterol and LDL-no diabetes. I was put on Micardis 40mg. I lost 35 pounds, became hypervigilant with salt (1500mg/day) and very rarely drink alcohol (red wine). My BP went down to 110/60. I have to watch, though when I am lazy about salt, or go out to dinner a little too much BP does go up. Oh well even if you do the right things you can't fight genetics! Take your medications and check your pressure regularly. Approach it intelligently and you can live a long life with hypertension.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

My blood pressure started about 6 years ago when I was given an inhaler for a breathing problem. My body swelled up all over including my mouth, causing me to be unable to eat for several days. Since then I have taken enalapril everyday and it seems to work for me.

Comment from: Veronica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I'm 49 and my Hypertension is all stress related, so under Doctor supervision I've been taking Naturopathic medication (after consultations with Naturopath) with regular exercise, I've found most days it stays within normal limits. Please Note: I had terrible reaction to Micardis hence the Naturopath.

Comment from: woraiur, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I had high blood pressure, and by taking garlic regularly and reducing my weight by 15 pounds, my blood pressure has dropped.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter