Patient Comments: Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment

Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ex-Hiccuper, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

My remedy for hiccups is to stick my tongue out as far as possible and hold it there for a few seconds.

Comment from: butch, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Never had this fail as a remedy for hiccups. Simply exhale every ounce of air you can, pushing yourself to the utmost limit, and hold it out as long as you can.

Comment from: Sk, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

Keep chewing raisins (dry fruit), it is 90 percent working on hiccups.

Comment from: AzVaMike, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I slugged a glass of Sunny D orange strawberry flavored drink and it worked to keep my hiccups off for half hour. I am going to drink another and see what happens; it didn't work this time.

Comment from: jagonjo, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: April 18

The best hiccup cure is a full distraction and/or fright. Hiccups occur when the hypothalamus is in overdrive mode, which happens during stress coupled with heightened stimulus to the amygdala. Two things work, focus on the sensation of the hiccup, try to do it. Force it even. Then, hold your breath, and focus on trying to hiccup. Then wait, and when waiting, do something that you are good at and love doing, like a game or go talk to someone or pat something fluffy or curl up in bed with at least 4 blankets. If you are still having trouble after doing all these things, then do them again.

Comment from: td, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Back in the seventies when I was living in more of the seventies style, a bartender once told me how to get rid of the hiccups. Very simple and still works after all these years of no drinking or drugs; one very small sip of vinegar, that's all. Now when I get the hiccups it is because I am constipated. That is a different problem.

Comment from: LK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I get hiccups often so I was told to take a glass of water, and put a thin towel over it, and drink the water through the towel. It doesn't take much but it does work, and is the only thing that I have ever found that does work.

Comment from: tronk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had hiccups for several hours once while sick. This was many years ago. I threw up and they stopped immediately. Every time I've had hiccups since then, I've activated my gag reflex (sometimes vomiting, which isn't healthy, and sometimes not). The hiccups have stopped immediately every time. I'm not saying you should use this method, but it has allowed me to fall asleep and not be miserable probably a dozen times.

Comment from: Anon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

This cure has never failed me for hiccups. Use any liquid, as long as it is cold. Take a breath and hold it, than take a drink, but do not swallow it. Instead, let the liquid go back as far as you can in your throat. Try to get it to touch the uvula. I do not know quite the science behind it, but it shuts them down at once.

Comment from: nano2nd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I get rid of hiccups using what I call 'The old Italian method' (so called because it was taught to me by an old Italian). I place an index finger into each ear, close my eyes as tight as possible, take as deep a breath as possible, and hold it for as long as possible. Looks stupid, but it works every time!

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Take a swig of DayQuil for hiccups.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had the hiccups for 24 hours due I believe to a side effect of a drug I was given in the emergency room (ER) Saturday night. I spent the first 24 hours drinking water till my kidneys were well flushed and my hiccups would return. I went on this website and tried eating lemons; worked perfectly. No more holding my breath, drinking water, blah, blah, blah. Whatever this does to the vasovagal nerve, works for me! Good luck.

Comment from: Love my husband, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My husband told me to go put a pencil in my mouth like you are going to bite down on it, but only bite lightly to keep it in place, next drink a glass of water all at once or slowly if you like. Keep a towel around your neck as you may dribble some. It's amazing, the hiccups were gone in an instant. We are not sure why, it is something to do with keeping the mouth in alignment while drinking water to get rid of the air causing the hiccups. Seriously it works!

Comment from: alexia, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My mom always told me to lay on the couch and drink a glass of water with my head tilted backwards, as a remedy for hiccups.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

My remedy for hiccups is as follows: swallow seven times, take a deep breath, hold it for a count of ten and swallow again. If you hiccup in the middle you should start again, but this probably won't happen more than once, if at all. I don't know where I heard this, but it always seems to work. I figure that as the hiccup is a spasm of the diaphragm, the repeated swallowing counteracts it.

Comment from: bobby, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My mom use this remedy, just smell fresh onion if you have hiccups, then take some slices of fresh onion tie up in a small cloth and whenever you have hiccup smell it and it will go away like magic.

Comment from: Deep, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My father age 75, faced hiccups problem since last 5 to 6 days continuously. Hiccups at every 2 to 3 minutes and sometime multiple times in single minute. Tried other household remedies but didn't get good result. After he took Spinobak tablet, hiccups are really gone.

Comment from: TRUONG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Pickle juice works every time for hiccups.

Comment from: BoBo, Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Hiccups are routinely solved by holding a large amount of water in your mouth, holding your breath, plugging your ears, and swallowing the water slowly; never fails.

Comment from: JukeboxGraduate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I get the hiccups every day and this works 100% of the time. Fill a glass about 1/2 full with cold water and set it on a counter. Put your thumbs in your ears and pick up the glass with your pinky fingers. Drink as much as you can. It"s okay to stop and breathe so long as you keep your thumbs in your ears. When you can"t drink anymore, keep thumbs in ears until you burp. It may take a few times to perfect this method but once you get it down, it won"t fail you!

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

I am a retired pharmacist with 56 years of practical experience. For an infant, dip the dummy in glycerin and put in baby"s mouth. For an older person, a teaspoonful of undiluted glycerin; extremely sweet, but it worked every time.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had hiccups for over 50 years. My father has the same condition. When I was about 10 he taught me a technique to stop them. This technique works first time every time for me, but it takes some persistence to master. When you get hiccups stop whatever else you are doing and concentrate on predicting when the next one will occur. I know it seems that they are unpredictable, but with practice you will find subtle precursors indicating that a hiccup is about to occur. Now that you can predict the hiccup you need to force your throat to stay open when your diaphragm spasms. This will effectively turn the hiccup into a gasp. With continued practice the technique became second nature for me and I don't even notice I'm doing it. I almost never get full hiccups anymore. I do get people wondering why I am gasping at seemingly random times. Unless you get hiccups a lot and/or they last for a long time will probably not get sufficient practice to master this technique, also since hiccups are caused by a variety of things I don't know if this will work on your hiccups, but it works for my dad and me.

Comment from: Shyanha, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

A teaspoon of sugar under my child's tongue works. The child has to hold the sugar under the tongue until it dissolves.

Comment from: SHAMMY, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Eating 2 to 5 pieces of chilies stops the hiccups.

Comment from: IBang2StarWars, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I learned a vocal exercise that worked for me. I lay on my back with arms at the side and lift my legs in the air about six inches and sing Mary had a little lamb, in a normal singing voice. It helps me.

Comment from: Brad, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 16

Gagging myself with my toothbrush works some of the time to stop them. Also hard sneezing seems to stop them as well. I hope this helps someone.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter