Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Comment from: Julisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had open hiatal hernia surgery on 8/14/17. Since the surgery I've felt bloated and gassy. I haven't had a normal bowel movement either. On 8/23/17, I started having horrible cramps, excessive gas, and then explosive diarrhea. I have contacted my doctor and waiting to hear back. This is horrible. I may prefer the Nexium and reflux!

Comment from: Scotish1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

After suffering from acid reflux for many years, my proton pump inhibitor medication was no longer working. I had robotic laparoscopic paraesophageal Nissen fundoplication by a general surgeon. I spent 3 nights in the hospital and the 1st week was pretty rough. I had pain in my shoulder and more severe in my lower back. It has been 3 months now and I am fully recovered. I haven't taken any medication since the surgery. My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery years ago.

Comment from: LadieDyan77, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had hiatal surgery with Nissen wrap in April 2016. I have had chronic diarrhea for 6 months and sometimes it explodes and I have no idea or warning. The gastroenterologist did colonoscopy and ruled everything out, all negative. I hate living this way. He now says I have dumping syndrome; no drinking fluids half hour before or after meal, and no drinking during meal! Seriously! I eat something and boom, I have to run to the bathroom. It is ridiculous. I hate living this way! No relief in my future.

Comment from: DukeHospitalFan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My voice was very hoarse due to acid reflux and vomiting at night; however, I did not have heartburn. Medicines, diet, elevated bed, etc., did not help. I got out of breath even when walking on flat ground. I had surgery 2 and a 1/2 years ago to repair my hiatal hernia. Surgeon said a large portion of my stomach was in my chest. Best thing I ever did! Patients need to strictly follow surgeon's instructions afterwards; liquid diet for a week then soft food for 2 weeks, no lifting for a number of weeks, and stop all heavy lifting in the future. Now at 60 plus years, I can exercise again, easily walk 3 plus miles, run up 15 steps, take 0 meds, eat what I want (smaller portions though), and live an active lifestyle. Thanks to the doctor!

Comment from: Dorothy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Since having robotic hiatal hernia surgery, I have a lot of gas, constipation and bloating. I pass a lot of gas, which I very seldom did before and have a lot of pressure in my chest. It seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Comment from: gramo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I also had dumping syndrome after my hiatal hernia surgery. Probiotics helped me.

Comment from: hallmaggs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

In 2003 I had been suffering for several years with excessive heartburn. I had acid coming out of my nose at night waking me up, it was so painful. The doctor determined the cause was a hiatal hernia and repaired it. I haven't had one second of heartburn in over 14 years! I am forever grateful.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.