Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had hiatal hernia surgery on October 6. It's been two days out. It's hard for me to get out of bed because I feel like I am stretching the surgery area. My worst pain was migraine headaches which is now getting better. Doctor said it was the largest hiatal hernia he has seen. I would vomit at night regardless of what time I ate, before my surgery. I am now looking forward to a better lifestyle.

Comment from: Lorraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a hiatal hernia repair operation a year ago. I am overweight but there has been no change in my weight for more than 10 years. The hernia came after my mastectomy (breast cancer) 5 years ago. After a lot of chest pain and constant nausea and sore throat the hernia was discovered. I now suffer a lot of gas, burping, severe bloating and constant bad taste in my mouth. I am due for another follow-up scope. Because of the experience of cancer, this cannot be ruled out though blood tests are negative for cancer.

Comment from: kellyann, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 09

I've had GERD for over a year which has been progressing to sleepless nights and extreme pain. I've recently had a barium swallow done and in a few months will be wearing a monitor for 24 hours. Pills don't help at all and I'm hoping to ask, beg really, for surgery to be done. It doesn't matter what I eat, how often I eat, lie down or sit up. Lately I've been vomiting through my nose during sleep, tonight actually through my mouth, and this is more vomiting than I have done in my entire lifetime, so my hiatal hernia symptoms are progressing. Reading some comments, I'm really worried it won't help and seriously hoping and crossing my fingers it does help. I'll keep you posted. Next nasal esophageal 24 hour test isn't until October.

Comment from: Alfbano, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have had hiatal hernia repair surgery four weeks ago; before that I was a mess, had shortness of breath, acid reflux and extreme heart burn. I could not sleep, was always tired and had high blood pressure. Now with the repair, I am so much better except that I get a dull strong pain on my chest almost every day. I cannot eat a full meal (soft food) and always so much gas, something I didn't have before. Overall I am 80 percent better. Thanks to the doctors who decided to fix it because I could tell I was going down the drain with my health condition.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had my hiatal hernia surgery done back in October 2016. I was free of acid reflux and heart burn for about 3 months. This surgery did not take, and I am having the acid reflux and heart burn again. My doctor had to go back in and stretch my esophagus. I am now a candidate of acid reflux back. I have had many registered nurses tell me this surgery was not worth it and does not work.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.