Patient Comments: Herpes of the Eye - Symptoms at Time of Diagnosis

What symptoms and signs were you experiencing when your herpes simplex keratitis was diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sterling42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I felt for a week or two occasional cold spots in my eyeball. Then I started feeling tingling and itching on face and head. Then I woke up and thought I had pink eye a few days later and felt extremely flu-like. Now 5 days in and the white of eye is still pink with some pustules. I feel very flu-like and fatigued. I cannot function. Feel like death and feel like someone is putting out cigarette butts on my eyes. I am miserable and vomiting from the pain and cannot eat but one small meal a day. I managed to get .5 lorazepam since the doctor claimed the antiviral would work for the herpes simplex keratitis, which has not worked. The .5 of lorazepam is helping me eat one bowl of soup a day and sleep for a few hours. I feel so flu-like. I am miserable. No one will help with the pain. Ice packs, nothing is helping. I want the flu-like feeling and nervousness to go away. B6 zinc and lysine along with coconut oil seem to be the only thing besides lorazepam that are helping.

Comment from: edbaar56, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

When I was diagnosed with herpes simplex keratitis, I was experiencing a kind of numb tingle across my forehead in the area of the eyebrows and across the bridge of my nose. Rubbing did not relieve the sensation.

Comment from: sahdy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I do have facial herpes and have felt so sick, my eyes hurt so bad, they are red and swollen; just miserable. I also have sores on the tip of my nose and inside.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures