Patient Comments: Herniated Disc - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a herniated disc? Submit Your Comment

Published: November 19

I am a 44 year old woman and I don't know what to do about my pain anymore. I had a spinal fusion in 2010 which included bone grafts and a metal plate and screws at c-4,5,6,7. Now I see ads on TV regarding bone grafts and serious side effects. I also have herniated disks in between T-4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12. I also have issues in the lumbar spine. I have degenerative disc disease and I go to a pain clinic. I currently take Norco as well as Fentanyl patches. I still have pain but I have to work and am the only one supporting three other people, my husband and two kids. I need some advice. I can only imagine my pain status as I get older.

Comment from: intheblue, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 24 year old female, I am young for a herniated disc, well, that is what the hospital has said from an x-ray. I am in the military and I am on the 4th week of the severe pain, loss of feeling, numbness, and pins and needles in my legs. I wonder if I should get an MRI. I don't feel like I am getting better. The pain is constant regardless of what I do. Me being in the military, perhaps the pain will keep returning (if I was to get better). I am so worried, I need help as I don't feel like I'm getting the answers here.

Comment from: quattro, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I too had a herniated disc in my neck and my doctor dismissed it as pulled muscles. I suffered for 8 months in agony with the pain never less than a score of 7 but often 9 or 10. In the end a friend bullied my doctor into referring me and I had my disc removed and my spine fused within two weeks. The relief was instant and after 3 months it was perfect. I have a slight loss in sideways neck mobility but I can't thank the surgeon enough. Unless you have experienced it you cannot appreciate the relentless pain. I sympathize and you should insist on a MRI scan ASAP, good luck.

Comment from: annabanananose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Hang in there! My disc was ruptured and the pain so great all I could do was scream! A trip to the ER, Emergency surgery and I woke up after the IV meds wore off in almost as much pain as I had before. As my surgeon advised me there is no 100% in any surgery, there's always a small failure rate, and I'm it. It is nerve damage, that does not show on X-rays, CTs, or MRIs!!! You have to be persistent and try other doctors, sounds like you should go to a pain management specialist!! (Some of those are quacks too, so be careful). But they can help you deal with nerve damage pain, that cannot be seen or diagnosed except by your word. And you'll probably have some pain, but you can live a better life! Keep trying doctors until you find someone you click with, you may still wake up w a 10 on the pain scale but you'll also wake up a lot of days w a 0 :). Don't give up!! Hope this helps.

Comment from: Kela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I got into a car accident two years ago. And I injured my lower back, however the pain is still there and it's getting very unbearable. I've used pain medication, topical cream, Ibuprofen 800mg, walking, heat, ice, etc. You name it I've tried it and now I'm at the point where I am always in tears and can't do anything much anymore. I really don't know what to explain to my doctor so that he can refer me to an orthopedic surgeon. And the kicker is my herniated disk is not that bad, on the MRI however I can't understand why so much pain.

Comment from: John, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I get up 3 to 5 times a night due to enlarged prostate. I used Urinozinc for 6 weeks and followed that with 6 weeks using Super Beta Prostate. I took one pill twice a day as prescribed. Neither medicine helped one iota. Since all these medicines have essentially the same ingredients, I can only assume they are all a scam.

Comment from: eng bantee khan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

About 2 years ago I was playing soccer and suddenly my ankle just dislocated during the match. The problem is it is always swelling and I feel pain in my ankle. I was taking medicine from that day but the medicine doesn't work at all. I saw many doctors around here but I don't know why it is not working. I am in a real trouble.

Comment from: #1Faith777, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I have two back issues, a pinched nerve, and peripheral neuropathy. I have tried several epidural steroid injections and none of them have helped. Procedures do not help. I believe that opiates are my only option. I've been studying this low quality of life for a few years, including all types of medications.

Comment from: estherrenee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I recently had a herniated disc that caused radiculopathy on my right side. I had no clue what was wrong and couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain. My right hip clear down into my foot hurt to the point where I was lying in bed. I was in so much pain they ordered an MRI and discovered the disc. I ended up having surgery four days later. I had to have a laminectomy and a discectomy and when I woke up I was amazed to find that the only pain I had was from the incision. After surgery I realized that this disc problem has been affecting me for close to six months causing me to fall and trip easily. The doctors are amazed that at my age that the problem was as severe as it was and we still have no clue how it happened. I am just so relieved that the pain is gone (even though I had to drop out of college to recover for the next two months).

Low Back Pain Relief
Comment from: Conrad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

It all started with sharp pain in right buttocks spreading down to outer leg muscles. In two week it was much worse and it was worse on standing and walking. Lying flat on the carpet was a great relief. It is yet to get significantly better to allow any activity that requires standing or walking! Physio helped only nominally and the analgesics only help nominally. Lying flat works. Rest is no good already 6 weeks of daytime TV and exercises. Awaiting surgery.

Comment from: dd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I was in a car accident 11 months ago and have a herniated disc in my lower back. After 6 months of chiropractic care I went to physical therapy to learn core strength exercises to work on at home. The core exercises helped, but I have to do them daily or at least 4 times a week to maintain the benefit. I've also started walked up to 2 miles a day when I can, which is a great help. Before the core strength tour at physical therapy and all the chiropractic care I couldn't even walk one mile.

Comment from: SuzanneJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am a 40 year old woman who has been diagnosed with Bursitis, then diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (given Methotrexate - which really threw my liver ALT Counts through the roof). My Rheumatologist finally sent me for an MRI last week (only after 4 years of excessive amounts of pain in both hips). The MRI showed that I have disc disease (or as she put it, herniation disc) between bones 4-5 in my lower back. She then proceeded to tell me that now I have to go back to my GP and get a referral to an Orthopaedic Surgeon, and she can no longer help me. What I don't understand is why this has taken 4 years to determine to send me for an MRI? I just want to be able to walk without pain, and enjoy life. When you're 36, 37, 38, 39, or 40 and have to walk with a cane, and not want to get groceries because the simple act of walking is excruciating, it's not fun, it's not fair, and I just want good quality health care. I don't like this being thrown from one doctor to another.

Comment from: Mrs Cowdery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Beacause of a herniated disc I have severe pain when trying to walk, could not put any pressure on my left leg. I was totally immobile until I took codine.

Comment from: silverfox, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

The symptoms of my herniated disc were painful when bending or sitting. Somehow, I have aggravated my back injury. It seems to be putting pressure on my sciatic nerve, causing extreme pain and numbness in my left leg that I have to lift with my hands to get into a car.

Comment from: HillcrestHall, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have a right paracentral C4/C5 & bilateral C5/C6 herniations with severe spinal canal stenosis. The pain started a year ago when I fell down the stairs holding my 2 year old. I wrenched my left arm/shoulder pretty badly. Initially the pain was muscular and mainly in the shoulder joint. Over the last 4 months the pain became unbearable in my neck, shoulder blade, shoulder and elbow and I had a hard time just sitting still and not moving the shoulder and stretching my neck. In the last week I am now experiencing severe tingling and pain in my left hand and fingers. I am scheduled for a Cervical Steroid injection in two weeks, but I'm not sure I can wait that long for some sort of relief.

Low Back Pain Relief