Patient Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have when you had a hernia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Walkingforfun, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

The first time I was diagnosed with hernia was after I noticed my stomach bulging out on one side. It hurt a little, maybe 3 on a scale 1 to 10. Then 13 years later I was diagnosed with hernia again but after experiencing pain that was a 20 on a scale from 1 to 10. I was vomiting and using the bathroom at the same time. The pain wasn't from the back side. The pain felt like I had food poisoning. That is what I thought at first until I went to the emergency department.

Comment from: Toki, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am 6 foot, 145 lb. and athletic. The hernia showed as a bulge on one side of the groin. It could be pushed back in with some squishing and rumbling, and fell back in place when I lay down. It was painless at first, and moderately stinging 3 months later.

Comment from: Mindful1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had Roux-En-Y gastric bypass on 6th December, 2010. M gallbladder was removed on 1st October 2013. Hiatal hernia was repaired on 30th April 2014. My weight before gastric bypass was 248 pounds and currently 110 pounds; total weight lost was 138 pounds. Height is 5"3", a small frame. Currently I have fibromyalgia, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), narcolepsy, hypothyroidism, and anemia. Progesterone replacement therapy used to correct lack of progesterone. Symptoms of hiatal hernia are nausea, sudden extreme pain in area above right hip, front of abdomen, and lower back, difficulty breathing, inability to lie on my back or stand upright.

Comment from: hernia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am having pain every time I eat because I have small hernia.

Comment from: ingrid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was diagnosed with a hernia about 2 years ago which has given me no problem until now. I have a dull ache on the side of my stomach and don't know if it is the hernia. I have had a bad bout of hay fever which has caused bad bouts of coughing, wondering if I should get this seen to or leave as is.

Comment from: ba, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I had ileostomy for Crohn's and then a takedown (i.e., re-connection). I am on Remicade which lowers your immune system. I got an abdominal hernia. Remicade can cause hernias! Be careful and ask lots of questions. Always get another opinion!

Comment from: sterling259, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The only symptom of hernia that I had was a fullness feeling in my pelvic region.

Comment from: munir, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Because of hernia I feel pain in the left side near abdomen while I walk.

Comment from: karla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a bulge in the belly. I felt it, it makes a squishy vibrating sound when I pressed it gently. The doctor will diagnose it and send you to a specialist who will then send you for laparoscopic surgery.

Comment from: Eric, 25-34 (Patient) Published: March 19

My intestine was protruding into the canal, sometimes off; especially when I sleep or wake up from bed. I had surgery on the right side when I was young and then on the left.

View the What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain Slideshow Pictures