A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia include pain, nausea, vomiting, bowel obstruction, and fever. Hernias are diagnosed by a physical exam and imaging tests. Some hernias may be held in place with a supportive belt. Other hernias require surgical repair. The prognosis of people who undergo elective hernia repair tends to be good. Read more: Hernia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Testicular Pain (Men and Boys: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Hiatal Hernia (Symptoms, Diet, Surgery, Treatment)
Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a thin membrane of tissue connects the esophagus with the diaphragm becomes week, and a...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Hydrocele is a collection of clear fluid in a thin walled sack that also contains the testicle. Hydroceles are more common in...
Testicular cancer symptoms include a painless lump or swelling in a testicle, testicle or scrotum pain, a dull ache in the...
Direct vs. Indirect Hernia
Direct and indirect hernia are both inguinal hernias. Both types of hernias may cause a visible bulge in the groin area. Weakness...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
Pelvic pain is described as pain, usually in the lower pelvic area. Causes of acute and chronic pelvic pain in women include...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Hormonal Changes Might Lead to Hernias in Aging Men, Mouse Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Repairing Your Hernia
- Hernia Patients May Need Fewer Opioids After Surgery, Study Finds
- Emergency Surgery Riskier for Kids in Poorer Countries
- Refugees Aren't Getting Needed Surgeries
- Rural Hospitals Often Safer, Cheaper for Common Surgeries: Study
- CDC Issues Tough New Guidelines on Use of Prescription Painkillers
- Low-Cost Mosquito Mesh Good Alternative for Hernia Repair in Poor Countries: Study
- Local Anesthesia May Be Best for Infants During Surgery
- Infection Most Likely Cause of Hospital Readmission After Surgery
- Emergency Surgeries on Weekends Riskier for Kids: Study
- Doctors Regrow Large Areas of Muscle Lost in Injured Soldiers
- Hernia Repair Recovery Often Longer Than Expected
- Mesh for Hernia Repair Reduces Recurrence, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Triggers for Hiatal Hernia
- Procedure for Incontinence in Women May Lose Effectiveness With Time
- Knee and Hip Replacement Surgeries Linked to Heart Attacks
- Common Hip Disorder May Raise Risk for Sports Hernia
- Less Invasive Hernia Procedure Easier on Patients: Study
- Anesthesia Before Age 2 Linked to Learning Problems
- FDA: Repairing Pelvic Organ Prolapse With Surgical Mesh Risky
- Health Tip: What May Trigger a Hernia
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter