- shortness of breath,
- pale skin,
- dizziness or lightheadedness,
- heart palpitations, and
- an increased heart rate.
Other associated signs and symptoms can include
- enlargement of the spleen (splenomegaly),
- gallbladder problems and gallstones,
- pale stools,
- itchy skin, and
- yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice).
Cause of hereditary spherocytosis
Inherited genetic mutations typically cause the condition. The abnormal red blood cells are fragile and possess a short life span as compared to normal red blood cells.
Other hereditary spherocytosis symptoms and signs
- Dizziness or Lightheadedness
- Enlargement of the Spleen (Splenomegaly)
- Gallbladder Problems and Gallstones
- Heart Palpitations
- Increased Heart Rate
- Itchy Skin
- Pale Skin
- Pale Stools
- Shortness of Breath
- Yellowing of the Skin and Whites of the Eyes (Jaundice)
Main Article on Hereditary Spherocytosis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Blood and Bleeding Disorders Quiz
Exactly what is sickle cell anemia? Learn about sickle cell and other diseases by testing your IQ with the Blood and Bleeding...
Blood Basics Test Quiz
What do you know about blood? It runs all through your body, so educate yourself! Take this blood basics quiz to learn about...