Other symptoms can include
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes),
- weight loss,
- problems with blood clotting,
- spider-like blood vessels seen on the skin, and
- breast enlargement in men.
Other possible symptoms of chronic HCV disease are
- a rash on the palms,
- fluid in the abdominal cavity (ascites),
- bleeding problems,
- confusion, and
- even coma due to the buildup of toxic substances that impair brain function.
Causes of hepatitis C
Dhawan, Vinod K. "Hepatitis C." Medscape.com. Mar. 28, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/177792-overview>.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Main Article on Hepatitis C (HCV) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Hepatitis C (Hep C) Symptoms and Treatment
What is Hepatitis C (Hep C, HVC)? Learn about hepatitis c symptoms, how you get hepatitis c, contagiousness, and hepatitis C...
Hepatitis C Quiz: What is Hepatitis C?
How many Americans have hepatitis C? Take this quiz to learn the facts about this chronic disease....
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
What is hepatitis? Hepatitis A, B, and C spread in different ways, causing mild to serious effects on the liver. Learn about...
Hepatitis: How Do You Get Hepatitis A, B, and C?
Hepatitis C virus and hepatitis B can make an infected person very sick and they are risk factors for liver cancer, liver...
Skin & Health: How Your Skin Reveals Health Problems
Skin problems are often the first signs of serious underlying health problems. Diabetes, lupus and lung cancer are illnesses that...
Tattoo Pictures: The Scoop on Tattoo Safety, Removal, and More
Get the scoop on tattoo safety, tattoo risks, tattoo care, and what to expect from tattoo removal....
Hepatitis C (HCV) Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Hepatitis C (HCV) Symptoms and Signs
- boceprevir (Victrelis)
- haemophilus b/hepatitis b vaccine - injection, Comvax
- Harvoni (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir)
- hepatitis A and hepatitis B (recombinant) vaccine (Twinrix)
- hepatitis A vaccine (Havrix, Vaqta)
- hepatitis b vaccine injection (Engerix-B, Recombivax HB)
- peginterferon beta-1a (Plegridy)
- ribavirin, Rebetol, Copegus, Ribasphere, RibaPak, Moderiba
- simeprevir, Olysio
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter