Most people do not have symptoms when they acquire the hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, and about one-fourth of those infected will have symptoms like
- loss of appetite, and
- muscle pain.
Other symptoms can include
- joint pains,
- poor appetite,
- vomiting, and
- abdominal pain.
Those who develop a chronic condition have persistent inflammation of the liver that leads to liver damage that may include scarring (cirrhosis), causing symptoms like
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes),
- weight loss,
- problems with blood clotting,
- spider-like blood vessels seen on the skin, and
- breast enlargement in men.
Other possible symptoms of chronic HCV disease are
- a rash on the palms,
- fluid in the abdominal cavity (ascites),
- bleeding problems,
- confusion, and
- even coma due to the buildup of toxic substances that impair brain function.
Causes of hepatitis C
Hepatitis C is caused by an infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV).
Other hepatitis c (hcv) symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Bleeding Problems
- Breast Enlargement in Men
- Dark Urine
- Joint Pains
- Loss of Appetite
- Muscle Pain
- Pale Stools
- Spider-Like Veins
- Weight Loss
- Yellowed Whites of the Eyes
Main Article on Hepatitis C (HCV) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Before You Tattoo: Types, Safety, and Removal
Get the scoop on tattoo safety, tattoo risks, tattoo care, and what to expect from tattoo removal.
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Healthy Aging: Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how older adults can overcome common health conditions affecting seniors over...
Hepatitis C (Hep C): Symptoms, Treatments, Antivirals
What is hepatitis C (Hep C, HVC)? Learn about hepatitis C symptoms, how you get Hep C, contagiousness, and treatment for...
Hepatitis C Quiz: What is Hepatitis C?
How many Americans have hepatitis C? Take this quiz to learn the facts about this chronic disease.
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Hepatitis C, B, and A are viruses that cause liver inflammation. Hepatitis B vaccines and hepatitis A vaccines are available....
Skin & Health: How Your Skin Reveals Health Problems
Skin problems are often the first signs of serious underlying health problems. Diabetes, lupus, hepatitis C and lung cancer are...
What Is Viral Hepatitis? How You Catch Hepatitis A, B, and C
Hepatitis C virus and hepatitis B can make an infected person very sick and they are risk factors for liver cancer, liver...
Examples of Medications for Hepatitis C (HCV) Symptoms and Signs
- haemophilus b/hepatitis b vaccine - injection, Comvax
- hepatitis A and hepatitis B (recombinant) vaccine (Twinrix)
- hepatitis A vaccine (Havrix, Vaqta)
- hepatitis B vaccine
- hepatitis b vaccine (Recombivax HB)
- Interferon: Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- ledipasvir and sofosbuvir
- Mavyret (glecaprevir and pibrentasvir)
- Pegasys (peginterferon alfa-2a)
- peginterferon beta-1a (Plegridy)
- Promacta (eltrombopag)
- ribavirin, Rebetol, Copegus, Ribasphere, RibaPak, Moderiba
- Side Effects of Daklinza (daclatasvir)
- Side Effects of Epclusa (sofosbuvir and velpatasvir)
- Side Effects of Harvoni (sofosbuvir and ledipasvir)
- Side Effects of Havrix, Vaqta (Hepatitis A vaccine)
- Side Effects of Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
- Side Effects of Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
- simeprevir, Olysio
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.