Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Experience

Please share your experience with hepatitis C infection. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kris24eye , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was recently diagnosed with hepatitis C. I have had bouts of nausea and fatigue over the last 5 years. I have Medicaid insurance that won't pay for Harvoni because my liver isn't damaged enough. So I found a source in Australia and I've completed 3 weeks on generic Harvoni. Next week I'll get blood tested and I'm hopeful for good news.

Comment from: BOHICA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I was infected while in the US Army over 33 years ago when hepatitis C was not known, I was wounded and got blood. I knew nothing until in 1999 while working for the US Government in a cross border operation in Mexico, I got ill, was taken to a clinic in Arizona, blood tests and biopsy done, and learned for the first time I had hepatitis C stage IV. I tried Interferon, etc., for two years which did not work, got very ill, and am unable to obtain transplant. I retired and tried other treatments, including the new drugs by Gilead, which worked for a while then it returned. I recommend all people get tested as soon as possible.

Comment from: AnnD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed last June with hepatitis C. I thought they were mistaken as I had so symptoms. I had known that I had it in the past, but thought it was gone. Being sent to a liver specialist who then put me on Harvoni for 8 weeks was what worked for me. I was taking no prescription medication for anything for a long time, I then suffered severe side effects. Knowing I'd be healed from it, I began journaling my writings so that I could more fully share my story with those who might benefit from it. I had my 12 week post Harvoni blood test a few weeks ago and it shows, as expected, to be totally gone. When I started the medication, my VL (viral load) was over a million and now it is zero. So glad to have found a medication that really works and is nearly 100 percent effective for many people.

Comment from: HEPMAN, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I contracted the hepatitis C virus in boot camp 1969 from jet air gun inoculations. I didn't know I was sick until 44 years of age. I got it at 18 years of age. I refused the treatment Interviron because only 60 percent of cure. I waited till I was 55 for the treatment. I took the Interviron for 10 months then quit because of side effects. Then I got listed for a transplant and they found a donor for me at 57. If you are a transplant patient this will extend your life for 10 years. I am now finishing Harvoni ribavirin therapy 12 weeks and now have cleared the virus. I was at stage 4 cirrhosis so now I have gotten 2 chances at life. I am so thankful for all those who made this possible. I hope this virus stays away forever. Harvoni chews this virus up and spits it out. Good luck to all of you who have this dreaded monster on your back. I had it for more than 40 years. The sad thing about this virus is you don't know you are ill. Get blood work done yearly to check.

Comment from: Boho Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

My husband and I now live in Mexico and we do love it, except they are so far behind in all hepatitis C treatments. We found out in the USA when we lived there in 2005, that my husband had hepatitis C and we started investigating alternative medicines. Three years ago, my husband got really sick, due to not following his proper diet and alternative medicines. I took my him to the Health Center here in Mexico and they took one look at his eyes and said they will give him a shot of morphine to ease his pain, but there`s really nothing else they can do for him. And they said to bring him back every evening for another shot to make the end more comfortable for him. And I took hubby home. I surfed the net for 3 days and found juicing and other natural things and we got right to it. He`s doing so well now, that 2 years ago he got tested and his liver enzymes were all normal. Good thing too, because we just found out today that I also now have hepatitis C. We lived together 1 year before he got sick and was tested for it. Just long enough for me to be sorry we shared a razor.

Comment from: Wiley , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I live with mild liver pain. I had a false positive blood test or whatever, some years ago from a lab. I don't know what I should do now to be conclusive about whether I have hepatitis C infection.

Comment from: mm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I was treated for hepatitis C in 1990. Follow up blood test showed successful elimination of the virus. My present health care provider tells me I don't have hepatitis C but an antibody or footprint in my blood. I am worried about the chances of me contaminating anyone.

Comment from: Calvin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

After inoculations in Army I was hospitalized with what they called in 1972 ARDS. I came very close to dying as my last memory was ice baths to drop my temperature. Then came the hepatitis C diagnosis in 1996. Looking back I was absolutely infected with an air gun and had sepsis from the cross contamination. My lungs are damaged from this experience and I am not a drug set, alcoholic, or any other high risk which the VA (Veterans Affairs) attempts to label you as they don't want to take responsibility! I put up with this setback for forty five years but now I am claiming the disability they gave me and want to bill me to care for what they gave me!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter