Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Treatment and Medications

What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for hepatitis C? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I got hepatitis C from a blood transfusion in 1968. There was no way I could afford Harvoni at USD 75,000. I got medicine from Beacon Pharmaceuticals in Bangladesh, of all places, at USD 840.00, plus 13.00 to send it through Western Union. I was leery about that, but did it. I have been totally cured for a year now.

Comment from: MOMMA T, Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C genotype 1A with stage 4 liver cirrhosis. My viral load was 500,000 plus, which is not good either. I was told I had hepatitis C. Let me tell you, it devastated me to say the least. What I did find out is that there is treatment out there with a 96 to 100 percent cure rate. I am not talking about a temporary fix to this disease, but a permanent cure. It is very expensive but with my gastroenterologist, primary doctor and pharmacy all pulling for me, I was able to get the medicines and funding for what insurance didn't cover, and I was out a total of USD 5.00 for each medicine I take. This is a huge savings of approximately USD 33,000 per month. So, there is a medicine out there, yes. It is called Harvoni. It does work, and I have very little side-effects so far. I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now and looking forward to my first 4 week bloodwork to see how much it has dropped on my viral load. Don't give up, to any and all of you fighting this horrible disease.

Comment from: brooke, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I contacted hepatitis C in my early 20s through blood transfusions. At first I was really sick, but didn't know anything about hepatitis C. My stomach was in pain and I couldn't get around. I had a son. The symptoms disappeared then, followed by about 40 years of relative good health. I had fairly good eating habits except for chocolate and sugar (addictions) and caffeine (I didn't start drinking coffee until my 50s). Then I went to China for three years to work and when I returned and got a checkup, which I had not done in many years, my levels were almost 6 million. I took off on the Pacific Crest Trail across Oregon, for the second year with my good friend, and I think that really helped mentally, but the food wasn't the best. However, I have extremely bad acid reflux and choking on my food, rashes on my legs, and puffy places on my ankles. I am exhausted and weak and that depresses me since I am a really active person. My son has bought me the Dr. Schulze detox program and I have been doing this for 2 weeks. I believe that it will kick it. I am 62, I have 7 kids and 11 grandkids. Hang in there you all, there is no power greater than faith and love, so let us stick together. I will soon find out if I can take the new drug that everyone says is so great. I will do whatever I can to regain my physical freedom.

Comment from: Hep C and Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In 1979 I had a blood transfusion. I was diagnosed 15 years later with hepatitis C. It was dormant for many years. My levels rose to over 2 million in 2005. I was treated with ribavirin/Pegasys and it was eradicated. My main symptoms were fatigue and anemia. After 4 to 6 injections, I passed out in public one day and when the hospital tested my levels they had gone from over 2 million to 4! I was too anemic to continue the injections and my doctor discontinued the treatment. Now it is December 2014 and my count is 1 million and rising. I can feel it attacking my body and my gastroenterologist is considering new treatment. Hepatitis C is a scary disease and I hope they find a cure soon. I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to explore my options. I have the fatigue, and I didn't lose any hair but I only had 4 to 6 treatments before I had to stop.

Comment from: louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had hepatitis C since the 70s. I didn't find out until about 10 years ago. I finally went on treatment even though my viral count is about 25000, which is low. I started treatment taking ribavirin and peginterferon. I was doing okay, but had to stop after 5 weeks because my white blood cell count dipped dangerously low. I'm just waiting for treatment other than the two drugs I tried. I wish I could have finished treatment. My liver enzymes are slightly elevated. I try to stay healthy with diet and exercise.

Comment from: mrs sindi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B in 2014. It was too severe and I took so many medications but it was not helping me. I was introduced by a friend to this herbal medicine which helped me eradicate my sickness, it really worked for me.

Comment from: JS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had the 48 week interferon/ribavirin treatment for hepatitis C, with Eprex injections once a week to help with low red blood cells production. Side effects during treatment were awful. I was very sick the whole time, hair thinning, flu-like, no energy, difficulty breathing, little appetite. However, the treatment was successful. That was in 2010. It is now 2014, and I am still experiencing some long term effects from the treatment, such as cognitive impairment (brain fog), ongoing fatigue, muscle and joint aches, and my thyroid was negatively affected by the treatment, so I am taking thyroid medications for hypothyroidism. I am still glad that I did the treatment, there was no real option, as my liver was at Stage 4, but I am not the same that I was before treatment, even though I was sick at that time. I want to know if others out there are experiencing anything similar.

blood test hepatitis C std lab
Comment from: larryparker318, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have had hepatitis C for close to 25 years and now the doctors say that I must start fighting back or it will kill me in the next few years. I tried interferon when I first found out I had it but it made me terribly ill and I stopped taking it hoping they would find a cure. I say that if at all possible, take the medicine as early as you can to avoid this low quality of life that I have lived. I suddenly realized, hey wait a minute, I'm too young to die.

Comment from: why not me?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was prescribed Ribavirin and Interferon. I took the shot once a week and the Ribavirin every day. At first it seemed to be working but unfortunately my immune system began fighting off and rejecting this treatment, as a result I had to discontinue.

Comment from: greennaorem, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm living with hepatitis C from last year. And I had taken a course of injections for six months. After five months, now I feel symptoms like allergy, constipation.

Comment from: Dorolar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have Hep c for over 15 years now, when I was first diganased I was put on interferon for a year, it was hell but I did it, I was extremely healthy up until recent months due to medication , I should have been more honest with each doctor that wanted to give me a pill for this or that, feeling very frustrated & scared as I am going in for an ultra sound next week !

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had Hep C for 12 years and am only just about to go on conventional treatment as I have managed to stay fairly healthy through cutting out alcohol and other dietary changes (no salami etc.) and taking Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum) supplements. Adequate water intake is very important to assist with flushing of the liver with this treatment. Ginger beer can also help with nausea. Be strong and I hope this helps.

blood test hepatitis C std lab