Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion, hemodialysis, and needle sticks, especially with intravenous drug abuse. Symptoms of chronic hepatitis include fatigue, fever, muscle aches, loss of appetite, and fever. Chronic hepatitis C may be cured in most individuals with drugs that target specific genomes of hepatitis C. Read more: Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Hepatitis in Pictures: What Puts You at Risk?
See how Hepatitis types A, B and C are trasmitted through issues such as poor hygiene, contamination, sexual contact and more....
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
What is hepatitis? Hepatitis A, B, and C spread in different ways, causing mild to serious effects on the liver. Learn about...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Hepatitis C (Hep C) Symptoms and Treatment
What is Hepatitis C (Hep C, HVC)? Learn about hepatitis c symptoms, how you get hepatitis c, contagiousness, and hepatitis C...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Hepatitis C Quiz: What is Hepatitis C?
How many Americans have hepatitis C? Take this quiz to learn the facts about this chronic disease....
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
Tattoo Pictures: The Scoop on Tattoo Safety, Removal, and More
Get the scoop on tattoo safety, tattoo risks, tattoo care, and what to expect from tattoo removal....
Related Disease Conditions
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms, Signs, Causes,Treatment
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly, is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A)
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A) is one type of liver disease caused by a virus. Since...
Raynaud's phenomenon is characterized by a pale-blue-red sequence of color changes of the digits, most commonly after exposure to...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Lichen planus is a common skin disease that features small, itchy pink or purple spots on the arms or legs. the abnormal areas on...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) refers to a decreased number of platelets in the blood. Symptoms of thrombocytopenia...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) is a rare type of cancer that arises from cells that line the drainage system from the...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Tylenol Liver Damage
Tylenol liver damage (acetaminophen) can occur from accidentally ingesting too much acetaminophen, or intentionally. Signs and...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Is Hepatitis A Contagious?
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A is one type of hepatitis. Hepatitis is transmitted through person to...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Varices are dilated blood vessels usually in the esophagus or stomach. Symptoms of bleeding varices include vomiting blood, black...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Essential Mixed Cryoglobulinemia
Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia is a condition caused by abnormal blood proteins called cryoglobulins. Symptoms include joint...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Stomach Cramps
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Dark Urine
- Hepatitis C (HCV)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Decreased Appetite
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- ribavirin solution - oral, Rebetol
- peginterferon alfa-2a - injection, Pegasys
- ribavirin tablet - oral, Copegus, Ribapak
- ribavirin capsule - oral, Rebetol
- peginterferon alfa 2b - injection, Pegintron
- ribavirin, Rebetol, Copegus, Ribasphere, RibaPak, Moderiba
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- hepatitis A and hepatitis B (recombinant) vaccine (Twinrix)
- filgrastim, Neupogen
- Protease Inhibitors (PI Drug Class)
- Epclusa (sofosbuvir and velpatasvir)
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- Viekira Pak (ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, and dasabuvir)
- Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
- daclatasvir (Daklinza)
- Harvoni (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir)
- simeprevir, Olysio
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- boceprevir (Victrelis)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
Prevention & Wellness
- Hit Hard by Opioid Crisis, Appalachian States Expand Clean-Needle Programs
- Opioid Crisis Means More Newborns With Hepatitis C, But Few Get Tested
- Too Few Baby Boomers Get Hepatitis C Screening
- Surgeons Safely Transplant Kidneys From Donors With Hep C
- Lack of Awareness May Spur Spread of Hep C
- Tiny Opioid Victims: Addicted Moms-to-Be Transmit Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Screening May Boost Opioid Treatment Success
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Mavyret Approved for Hepatitis C
- Heart Infections Spike as Injection-Drug Abuse Climbs: CDC
- U.S. Liver Cancer Deaths Have Doubled Since 1980s: Study
- New Combo Pill Offers Hope to Hepatitis C Patients Who Fail Other Treatment
- New Hepatitis C Infections Hit 15-Year High: CDC
- New Hepatitis C Treatments More Effective, Tolerable: FDA
- High Rates of Hepatitis C in Pregnancy Mirror Opioid Epidemic: CDC
- A 2nd Life for Risky Kidney Transplants?
- Better Efforts Could Help Rid the U.S. of Hepatitis B, C: Report
- New Hepatitis C Drugs Might Eliminate the Disease
- Baby Boomers Get an 'F' for Hep C Testing
- Prison Time Can Be Deadly … to Health
- U.S. Vaccine Guidelines for Flu, HPV Updated
- Diabetes Risk May Be Higher for HIV-Positive Adults
- Newer Hepatitis C Drugs May Pose Health Risks: Study
- Use of Needle Exchange Programs Up Dramatically in 10 Years: CDC
- Serious Infections Tied to Suicide Risk
- Sharing Drug 'Snorting Straws' Spreads Hepatitis C
- Epclusa Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Patients More Likely to Drink, Study Finds
- Hepatitis C Now Leading Infectious Disease Killer in U.S.
- Generic Hepatitis C Drugs as Effective as Pricey Brand Names: Study
- Head and Neck Cancers May Be Linked to Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C-Infected Liver Transplants May Work Well for Those With the Virus
- Hepatitis C Therapy May Reduce Need for Liver Transplants
- Ridding U.S. of Hepatitis B, C as 'Public Health Problem' Possible: Experts
- Zepatier Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Reported at 19 Dialysis Clinics: CDC
- Hepatitis C May Be Tied to Greater Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- Screening Inmates for Hepatitis C Benefits General Community: Study
- Faster, Cheaper Hep C Cures on the Horizon?
- In Rare Cases, Hepatitis C Drug Tied to Slowed Heart Rate: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- Liver Damage From Hepatitis C More Widespread Than Thought
- More Hepatitis C Cases Being Seen in Urban ERs
- Technivie Approved for Hepatitis C
- Most U.S. Hepatitis C Infections May Be Missed: Study
- Experimental Drug Combo Shows Promise Against Hepatitis C
- Heroin Use Surges Among Whites Who Abuse Prescription Painkillers
- Drug-Related HIV Outbreak Spurs Nationwide Alert
- New Specialty Medicines Drive Up Drug Spending
- Cheap Allergy Drug May Hold Potential as Hepatitis C Treatment
- HIV-Infected People Often Do Well After Kidney Transplant
- Breast Milk Bought Online Might Contain Cow's Milk, Study Finds
- FDA Warns of Cardiac Effect When Heart Drug Mixed With Hepatitis C Meds
- HIV Patients May Fare as Well as Others With Kidney Transplants
- Hepatitis C Drugs Will 'Strain Budgets' at Current Prices: Study
- Hepatitis C Infections in Hospitals Show Need for Tight Infection Control Practices
- Many With Hepatitis C Missing Out on Treatment, Study Finds
- Ebola, Obamacare Top U.S. Health News for 2014
- Hepatitis C Infection Isn't Related to HIV Brain Woes: Study
- Antiviral Combination Approved for Hepatitis C
- Health Highlights: Dec. 22, 2014
- Drug Regimen Cures Hepatitis C in Most Liver Transplant Patients in Study
- Vaccine for Hepatitis C Inches Closer to Reality
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- Hepatitis C Combo Pill May Cure Those Who Can Afford It
- Hepatitis C Could Become Rare Disease in 20 Years: Study
- HIV Meds May Also Help Control Hepatitis C, Study Finds
- New HIV Guidelines Released by WHO
- Hepatitis C Infection May Have 'Silver Lining' for Transplant Patients
- Alcohol Fuels Liver Disease in Those With HIV and Hepatitis C
- FAQ: The High Cost of Hepatitis C Drugs
- Cure Rate for Experimental Hepatitis C Drug Tops 95 Percent
- Hepatitis C Patients With HIV May Face Higher Risk of Liver Disease
- Nearly 3 Million Americans Living With Hepatitis C
- Most With Hepatitis C May Soon Find Hope in New Treatments
- Sovaldi Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- New Oral Hepatitis C Drugs: FAQ
- New Hepatitis C Drug Approved by FDA
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Hepatitis C Infection
- Study Finds Too Few With Hepatitis C Start or Stick With Treatment
- Some 'High-Risk' Kidneys May Be Safe for Organ Transplant: Study
- New Drug Combo Helps Hard-to-Treat Hepatitis C
- Baby Boomers Need Hepatitis C Test, CDC Study Confirms
- More Drugs Show Promise in Fighting Hepatitis C
- Country Singer Randy Travis Suffers a Stroke
- Screen All Baby Boomers for Hepatitis C, Expert Panel Says
- New Test IDs Genotype of Hepatitis C
- Half of People With Hepatitis C Don't Complete Needed Tests: CDC
- Experimental Drug for Hepatitis C Promising, Studies Show
- Experimental Drug May Work Against Hepatitis C
- Drug Users Are 'Super-Spreaders' of Hepatitis C, Study Finds
- New Pills Show Promise for Hepatitis C
- Patient Survival Rises When Drugs Suppress Hepatitis C in Blood: Study
- Hepatitis: The Hidden Hazard
- One Man's Harrowing Battle With Hepatitis C
- 'Boomers' With Hepatitis C Boosting Demand for Liver Transplants
- FDA Warns of Fatal Rash From Hep C Drug Incivek
- Aspirin May Reduce Risk of Liver Cancer, Death From Liver Disease
- U.S. Task Force: Baby Boomers Should Be Tested for Hepatitis C
- Black Women With Both HIV, Hep C Less Likely to Die From Liver Disease
- Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C May Thwart Liver Cancer
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Screened for Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Treatment May Hamper Kids' Growth
- Vitamin B12 May Boost Hep C Treatment
- Milk Thistle Doesn't Help Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Virus Levels Higher in Certain Injection Drug Users
- Many Homeless May Harbor Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Causing Liver Damage in Greater Numbers: Study
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Tested for Hepatitis C
- Infection Causes 1 in 6 Cancers Worldwide: Study
- Health Highlights: April 27, 2012
- Hepatitis C Now Kills More Americans Than HIV
- Stem Cells May Further Hepatitis C Research
- New Drug Combo for Hepatitis C Shows Promise
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors
- Novel Hepatitis C Vaccine Shows Some Early Promise
- Drug Users With HIV at Much Higher Overdose Risk
- Experts Urge Limits on Medical Research on Chimpanzees
- Shark-Derived Drug May Treat Viruses
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- Researchers Find Cousin of Hepatitis C Virus in Dogs
- Experts Propose Age-Based Hepatitis C Testing
- Signs of Rise in Hepatitis C Cases Among Young
- FDA Panel Backs 2 Hepatitis C Drugs
- FDA Panel Urges Approval of Hepatitis C Drug
- Hepatitis C Infection Rates Are Stable
- AIDS Patients Cite Stigma, Depression
- Experimental Drug May Treat Hepatitis C
- New Drug Cures Hard-to-Treat Hepatitis C
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter