Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Frank, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

In 2015 I was admitted to the hospital with a yellow eye and skin, abdominal pain and fever, and was diagnosed with hepatitis B. I was discharged on Liv.52 tablet for 6 months. After that I had 2 tests and was reported negative as my body had fought off most of the disease, which doesn't mean it is completely removed, but just suppressed. But mild pains still persist on the right side of my abdomen. This disease is quite silent, so I advise that everyone should have a test occasionally or vaccinate every 2 to 3 years. I think more awareness should be done concerning it, since most of the public do not know how infectious the disease can be.

Comment from: StupidBoy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Nearly 30 years ago, when I was in my late teens I found out I had hepatitis B. If this wasn't bad enough, I then discovered I was a chronic carrier some months later. Previous to this, by a few months, I tested positive for HIV. My world fell apart, but I soon realized I had no one else to blame but myself, as I had numerous sexual partners. I have remained remarkably well this past 30 years, although I was told my liver was in distress, 10 years after I was first diagnosed, and had resisted any treatment until then. I was given Truvada and a couple of other medicines that worked together, akin as a double pronged attack on the viruses, which have swapped and changed over the years because of minor side effects, but a further 10 years on everything is in check health wise and side effects of my illnesses. Only in the last 5 years or so I have suffered fatigue and muscular problems, but yet regular checkups say both the potentially deadly viruses are suppressed and controlled, with only minor blips here and there. I can't grumble at this! I am still generally healthy and alive somehow! I write this so someone may be given a positive vibe from this, and realize hepatitis B is not a death sentence, even when the odds are stacked against you. You can still live a normal, healthy life, even if you have HIV and chronic hepatitis. I know, I have had 30 years' experience to prove it. I wish you well.

Comment from: Vikas, Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I am carrying hepatitis B virus since long time. I used to donate blood years back. I never had this kind of disease but I am a passive carrier of this virus. Doctors said no medication will help.

Comment from: LiveLaughLove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about 7 years ago but ignored it since I had no symptoms and was in denial. This past month I went to the emergency room for my ulcer to find out that my blood levels were elevated and was admitted to the hospital. My levels elevated every day for 6 days until they transferred me to a specialty hospital where after many blood tests and a biopsy they diagnosed me with chronic hepatitis B. I was prescribed Viread. I am weak and suffer from abdominal pain. But lately I'm having the worst cramps in my lower abdominal area to the point where I can't sometimes walk. I have no insurance yet and have to go to a clinic which is not always available and I can't even get a doctor on the phone. I'm tired of being in the hospital and all I want to know is if lower abdominal pain is normal with chronic hepatitis B. I'm so tired and depressed since all of my psychiatric medications were taken from me since they are not safe for my liver.

Comment from: Bambang, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I'm a HBV (hepatitis B virus) carrier by birth, I even took Sebivo for 3 years when the stage became acute. I stopped taking the medicine because of the rust of my skin. Now the virus is back again at the highest state. So far now I just safeguard my liver by taking honey, curcumin, and HP Pro. By having enough rest, doing light exercise and avoid alcohol to boost body immunity; just like my parents, now they are free from virus by having antibody.

Comment from: Peps Harky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I am man aged 29, Angolan by nationality. I have had warts on my genital organs for the past 2 years (2015-2017). I tested Hepatitis b positive (BHC 9.1) in August 2017. Through research, I have not found any symptoms like mine on the internet.

Comment from: benis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I got tested of hepatitis B in 2015 and it shows positive but I wonder why my partner is not having the virus.

Comment from: joyce12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a hepatitis B carrier, but before I knew that I am a carrier when I undergone a blood test for work, I didn't feel any tiredness that time. I was devastated and hopeless, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: MicnKC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with HepB 2 weeks ago and was devastated by the news. I have been ill and sore for over 10 years, with no one being able to figure out what was wrong with me. It was always written off as a virus or infection. Then 2 years ago the severe muscle cramps started. I had them from scalp to toes, and it was when they ran the full spectrum of tests to figure the cramps out, that they discovered the HepB along with severe Vitamin D deficiency, which I now link to the HepB. I am so tired and nauseous and in constant pain. I am just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!! :P

Comment from: kojo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I got tested of hepatitis B just yesterday (13/4/2015) and the results shows that I am positive. But there are no signs and symptoms in my body. I don't know how I contacted this deadly disease. Because of money problems I have to use my father's toothbrush, because there is no money to buy one. I ask of the medications and it is too expensive for me to afford. The doctor explained to me that there are acute and chronic hepatitis. I will be at the hospital to test whether I am acute or chronic. I know I will get rid of this virus.

Comment from: Malin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I'm a hepatitis B carrier, and I found it out 3 years ago when I need some medical test for applying for a job. It scares me a lot, and I have been so hopeless since I heard it, I feel like I'm an outcast and different from others. I cry all night, I can't think properly, I'm so down. Even my doctor advised that I cannot transmit the virus using same utensils, saliva, etc., except if I have sexual intercourse. I'm still sick, no one in my family has this disease. And I don't know where I got it. I have taken blood tests many times and my liver is okay, and I never feel pain in my body, but I can't sleep well every night since I have known my situation.

Comment from: Martha L., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 14

My husband was on intensive care in 2002 due to cholesterol medications affecting his liver. He turned a gold color and a resident said it caused hepatitis B. He had been through a series of hepatitis B vaccinations before he could accept a job at work years before this and we need to know if this would be considered having hepatitis B since he wants to be a body donor when he passes.

Comment from: thess, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

In 1999 when I knew that I'm hepatitis B carrier, I didn't visit the doctor. Since then I'm suffering from joint pain and back pain and also my urine is so dark and yellow. I don't know what to do, I have 5 kids, and I am worried they have it too.

Comment from: virgo girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

This last 2 weeks I'm diagnosed with hepatitis B virus in my test but the doctor has not given me medicine to take or advised if is chronic.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I have known for about 1 year that I have hepatitis B because of a blood test. I had a liver biopsy, normal. I had the vaccination at least 7 years ago but I must have had it already, but no effects. Maybe I'm lucky but I want to let others know. I had my partner get vaccinated and will have tested every 6 months from now on. Eat right and lift weights. Life is for the living. Enjoy it.

Comment from: bassam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

Two years ago I found out I am infected with hepatitis B virus and I was maintained on entecavir (Tecavir). Then after 3 months PCR was undetectable but HBsAg was still positive and also anti-HBs still zero. I am still taking my medication and my wife was vaccinated against the virus.

Comment from: suzaku, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

i have a question to ask regarding hepatitis B. I found out that I was a hep B carrier when I undergone a test during my pregnancy with my 3rd child. the test was done last September 2006. but I was not treated.. I did not undergone any vaccine shot because I was pregnant that time.. i went another check up with my fourth child...my second test was last November or December 2007. my ob got surprise because I was positive in the antigen test in my hep B but I was negative in the antibodies test. according to her, how could that happen that in the antigen, I was positive but negative in the antibodies. she told me that the hep virus is now in my blood surface but I have no antibodies that would fight for the bacteria.. Until now, I have no vaccine shot yet. but my 2 young kids got their shots after I gave birth to them. vaccines complete for them...Finally my OB told me that i need to gone another test after six months from giving birth to see if there was a changes in my case...if the case was still the same that i am still negative in the antibodies test, then she will refer me to the Internal Medicine doctor..

Comment from: HIMEL, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I live in Bangladesh. my age is 32. 12-15 years ago i have infected by HBV. that time was treated by many doctors and all they advised there no treatment to cure from it my body permanently but luckily it s/b removed at the before of age 30 years as percent 80% effected people. just need to take care on taking food & life style s/b very fare. there no medicine & treatment. in the time being before 6 month ago my marriage has declared to arranged. that time i found the HBV is still effective in my body basis on several test report as doctor prescribe and there no problem in my body due to HBV effect. i'm treated as HBV carrier. however i told to my partner (whom i will be marry). after a day later she's deny me to arrange marry due to HBV. but doctor prescribe it will be okay if my partner will take vaccine. before that need to take proper protection with condom. for kind information i always passing my life with a proper shape. i never smoke, take drink-drugs or sex with others. but don't know how i attacked with HBV. Now i telling my current life...like dead man...no hope, no life. a big panic covered me every second. no women will marry me after hearing my HVB situation, which already happened. even i struggling in my family & society also due to this factor.

Comment from: Kwesi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis B viral infection which I've realized was passed on to me at birth. I'm 49 years old and undergoing series of tests to determine the appropriate treatment.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I acquired Hepatitis B in my 20's and was very sick for approximately a month. My symptoms were joint pain, loss of weight, and severe weakness. I was in bed for weeks. I was not administered any medication to treat. Just bed rest. I am currently 55 years old and a doctor recently told me there is a link between hepatitis b and liver cancer in later life. This kind of freaked me out. I drink rarely, but bruise easily and was tested again in my 20's to see if still had the disease, and they said I no longer had hep B because I carry the antigen. Other that that I believe I am fairly healthy.

Comment from: Scotia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1982 (I had "flu like" symptoms for about six weeks) and was told I was a carrier in 1984. My lft's were slightly abnormal for a couple of years, then normal ever since. I had ultrasounds every year since 1990. This year my blood work revealed all three tests for Hep B were negative and a test for virus DNA came back as "unreported." The doc says no more ultrasounds.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

The results of routine medical check-up including blood tests (2007 & 2009) revealed that I had hepatitis B. I felt my life had come to an end because friends have avoided me. They said, including the doctors, that the virus is transferable through usage of same cups & utensils. I told the doctor that I deserve my privacy when it comes to my medical condition but he said he did not have control over this. It was the lab that spread my blood work results. I felt so alone, an outcast and useless in this world. I believe I might have contracted the disease through my stepsister. I was in my college year when I was asked by my father to accompany her in the hospital for 5-days (and that was 30 years ago). She had hepatitis but I was not aware then what degree of hepatitis that she got. Her eyes were yellowish, feverish and had been vomiting. And lately (Year 2005), due to her medical condition (she's schizophrenic) the Social Services took her son and placed him under my care. And it was 2007 that they found out that I have hepatitis B. Having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Ann Marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I got Hepatitis B back in 2004. I was feeling tired all the time (really tired), and then it started to feel as though I got hit by a truck. I didn't think much of it and thought it may be the flu. So one day, I was talking to my friend and she said that I looked yellow! Well, long story short, I went in and had Hepatitis B. I had got it three weeks before, and it was in very, very high levels. I was in the hospital for over a week and then I went home. I was sick for about two months. I had a liver biopsy, and it damaged my liver, but I am good now. So here I am, five years later. I'm doing well, and you can't even tell by looking at me that anything was ever wrong with me.

Comment from: Dave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I contracted Hep B when I was 23 and I had mild symptoms for at least 9 months. During that time I was very tired, wounds took me long to repair. I also had white tongue and a metallic taste in my mouth. I felt also very short itching on my chest after training and noticed having yellowish skin and eyes just for a month. I lost 8 kilos. I infected my brother when I was still in the first stage. He probably used the same toothbrush. He doesn't know that he contracted it from me. He was very sick and doctors didn't find anything on him, probably they forgot to test him on Hepatitis B. I don't know how I contracted it. I had always had safe sex with a condom. Then after a year I fully recovered and I thought that when I have immunity against virus, that I don't carry it. Now I'm 27 and just a month ago I infected my new girlfriend by sex. So I guess it means that I'm chronic carrier, even if I'm completely healthy now, because it is after 3 years I had it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

I'm a nurse and just found out that I am hepatitis B-positive after giving blood for the first time. About 20 years ago, I became incredibly ill with severe headache, fatigue, weakness, and joint pain. I had a fever of 103 degrees for more than a week and would soak the sheets with sweat. I went to a doctor who told me I had a virus and there was nothing that could be done. I did not have any blood tests done at that time. I had another flare up of these symptoms four months later and again one year after that. I continue to battle fatigue and joint pain. I did receive the hepatitis B vaccination series about 18 years ago but obviously, it was too late.

Comment from: Sassy Girl, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I had hepatitis B twice: Once when I was 10 years old, and it lasted about a month; and at 18, when it lasted about three months. I had no idea that I carried the virus until I was almost 33 years old. I can't imagine why I would not be told this after having been so sick with it, but I haven't had any real effects from it that I know of. I think I must be a healthy hepatitis B carrier because I don't know of any symptoms. I notice three things that are annoying and I now wonder if it has anything to do with the hepatitis B virus. For one, I am nauseous a lot, I don't heal well with bruises, and I am tired a lot. For the most part though, I feel really well.

Comment from: Ebere, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I tested hepatitis B virus positive. I have two kids and they tested negative and my husband tested negative too. But I keep on testing positive always.

Comment from: kemi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed of having hepatitis B for over 8 months now, with serum testing. I have been taking lamivudine and I have done the test again, but it is still the same positive. I am just tired and sick of all this and it is asymptomatic.

Comment from: nitesh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Seven years ago I was found HBsAg positive and by taking herbal medicine, now I am negative in kit test but my abdominal pain still persists. And I want to take hepatitis B vaccine.

Comment from: ananya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 24 years old girl having hepatitis B. I am not under any medication as my viral loads are within limits.

Comment from: Maame, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My parents died of hepatitis B. I have 4 siblings but it seems I and my little sister were the ones born with the disease. I always feel weak, I feel pains in my abdomen, the color of my eye is so yellowish and I always feel some sharp burning pain in my muscles and joints.

Comment from: luci, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B six years ago when I became pregnant with my first child. My husband got tested for the virus as well but the results turned out negative. I have no idea how or where I contracted that virus. I had no signs or symptoms before the test. Recently I've been getting some burning sensations in both feet and insomnia. I have not had any medications.

Comment from: wvguy27, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a month ago. I am feeling fatigued a lot of my time.

Comment from: gerdar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I tried to donate blood for the first time in my life about 26 years ago, and the local county health department telephoned me that afternoon and said I needed to go to see a doctor immediately because I had hepatitis B. I had absolutely no symptoms. I had several blood tests over the course of a year or so, and my doctor said I was a chronic carrier. My sister had Down's syndrome, and my doctor said I probably got it from her as she lived in an institution for a period of time. My other family members were tested, as was my husband. Turns out, my father is also a carrier. I am not really worried about it but continue to have liver profile blood tests each year.

Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with hepatits B in December of 2004. I'm not sure when I got it, but I was having some problems with digestion and a feeling of being bloated and gaseous. My blood test revealed that my liver levels were off the charts. My doctor said that I was in pretty bad shape. In February of 2005, I began taking Epivir HBV. My blood test results slowly came back into range and in approximately six to nine months, the virus was in the undetectable range. I was doing great until October of 2007 and I lost my medical insurance and could no longer afford my medication. I went 3 months without the Epivir HBV. When I was able to get blood work done, it showed that my liver levels had increased significantly , but not to the levels of my original diagnosis. I've been back on Epivir now for 4 months. After 2 months, my blood test showed that my liver levels where headed back to the normal range. I will have more blood work done in a week or so. I have not experienced any major side effects from Epivir. I will have an occasional head ache and a tired feeling, but that may or may not be associated with the medication. I also seem to have occasional pain the the liver area. Being that I had been off medication for 3 months without his consent, my doctor ordered a CT Scan as a precaution. There was no signs of abnormal growths or cancer. Thankfully, I have a really caring doctor that tries to stay on top of things. I am hopeful that my body will be ale to fight off the infection on it's own and I will no longer need medication.

Published: June 12

I have had Hep B for some time now. Exactly when I contracted this virus is unknown of course as is the way of inception. I have experienced the Virus as coming and going to me. I will feel fine for a while and then bam I will wake up one morning and feel like I got a beating by ten people. I have been to many specialists and they cannot get a handle on it so they can try and treat it because the viral load is different all the time, and never going high enough to treat. Therefore I am in a catch 22 situation.

Comment from: candy lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

The results of routine medical check-up including blood test revealed that I had hepatitis B. Due to ignorance I was devastated. I felt my life had come to an end, but having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Pink, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a boyfriend who has hepatitis B, and he says that, it is hereditary. I just want to ask if that condition can be cured and is there still a treatment for his condition.

Comment from: Debhkar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was vaccinated for Hepatitis B about 10 years ago, yet when recently tested for Hepatitis A, B and C. I showed no antibodies for Hepatitis B.

Comment from: Braak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed complete liver failure several years ago. The doctors told me my liver was damaged due to Vicodin and prednisone usage. After almost having to have a liver transplant. I have lived in chronic pain since. I am now on Methadone 90 mg. per day. Somedays that does not even help with the pain. I also take Creon capsules to help with digestion of food. I always have discomfort when I eat or take vitamins in my liver. I am now having pain when I swallow, through my chest area and leg muscle weakness. I wonder if this could be a part of the disease. I have been previously diagnosed with Hepatitis B and beginning Cirrhosis.

Comment from: mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I just found out this week that I have Hepatitis B. I am a nurse and have been for many years. I have lost up to 30 pounds since the end of last year. My appetite was terrible. I had nausea and vomiting, which is something I very rarely have. I also ran a fever. I had a kidney stone about four years ago and I have had pain in the upper right portion of my back since that time, no one was able to give me a diagnosis. I feel tired most of the time, but my appetite is returning. I am now being checked for Hep C. The diagnosis was devastating. I wonder when I contracted the disease and who I may have infected. I do not have joint pains but I have flu-like symptoms all of the time, I am always cold. I will be going to see a specialist soon to find out my status.

Comment from: Mii, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B two years ago, during a routine check when I got pregnant. I don't experience much of the symptoms mentioned except for occasional body aches, my daughter was immunized about 15 hours after birth. I don't know when I contacted the virus. My other two children have not been immunized, after reading this article I intend to verify and immunize them. Here in Nigeria the doctor did not prescribe any medication for me because microscopic test of HB Ag read -ve.

Comment from: Lion, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed Hepatitis B. I have no symptoms. My digestion is slow, but that s it. No tiredness, vomiting, or joint pains, nothing. I will have further tests tomorrow as part of my routine annual med exam. I would have loved to go on medication. The problem is, in Ghana West Africa, we have no such drugs. I try to live my life as best as I can. Hopefully someday, we can have access to drugs.

Comment from: Sammy, 35-44 Male Published: March 16

I was told two weeks ago that I have Hepatitis B. The nurse told me that I have had it for many years. I could not imagine how I got the disease and therefore I am puzzled. What makes it even more puzzling is because I have not felt any of the symptoms since the time the nurse told me I have contracted the virus. I need help to understand this scenario. I have a druggist friend that told me that there is no such thing as a carrier. He said, "You either have the disease or not." That makes me even more confused.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B in 1992. I don't know how I got it and/or when. It has been dormant in my body, so I have been considered a carrier of the virus. I have never had any side effects from it. I found out that I had it through regular, routine blood work.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter