Hemorrhoids are blood vessels located in the smooth muscles of the walls of the rectum and anus. When these vessels become abnormally enlarged, discomfort and bleeding may occur.
Signs and symptoms of swollen hemorrhoids include
- itching around the anus,
- irritation and pain around the anus,
- an itchy or painful lump or swelling near the anus,
- fecal leakage, or
- painful bowel movements.
In some cases, people may notice blood on toilet tissue after having a bowel movement.
Causes of hemorrhoids
An increase in the pressure in the small vessels causes the enlargement of hemorrhoids. A variety of factors, such as a low-fiber diet, pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, constipation, rectal surgery, and straining during bowel movements, may cause the increased pressure.
Other hemorrhoids symptoms and signs
- Blood on Toilet Paper After a Bowel Movement
- Fecal Leakage
- Irritation and Pain Around the Anus
- Itching Around the Anus
- Itchy or Painful Lump or Swelling Near the Anus
- Painful Bowel Movements
Main Article on Hemorrhoids Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
Does everyone have hemorrhoids? Test your knowledge of this and many other facts about Hemorrhoids.
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Types, Causes, and Treatments
Learn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes...
Picture of Hemorrhoid
A dilated (enlarged) vein in the walls of the anus and sometimes around the rectum, usually caused by untreated constipation but...
Examples of Medications for Hemorrhoids Symptoms and Signs
- docusate (Correctol, Colace, Dulcolax, Phillips Liquid-Gels, and many others)
- hydrocortisone rectal foam (Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC)
- hydrocortisone suppository - rectal, Anucort-HC, Anusol-HC, Cort-Do
- hydrocortisone, rectal suppository, enema, foam, Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC, Proctocort
- hydrocortisone/lidocaine - topical, Lida Mantle HC
- lidocaine - topical, Lidamantle, Xylocaine
- lidocaine rectal
- phenylephrine hemorrhoidal gel - topical, Preparation H
- witch hazel