Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: teachinglife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I tried witch hazel, Preparation H, nystatin, and coconut oil, and nothing worked like zinc oxide 40 percent which I found in a generic baby rash cream. I have been struggling for a year and a half with external hemorrhoids, and after one week with only two applications (just externally), I feel normal again. I hope I have finally found something to help me go back to a regular life.

Comment from: yoyo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Believe it or not, aloe vera is excellent in more than one way. Applying the plant gel helps, but freezing the hemorrhoid first doubles the relief. The doctor told me to take aloe vera gel capsules to stop bladder spasms when I had a urinary tract infection (worked better than Azo). But, I realized the gel caps also helped ease most of my pain during bowel movements. Apparently, aloe is a strong laxative and may be eaten, in small amounts! Taken in pill form, it helped soften stools and kept me regular. Drinking lots of water helps, too.

Comment from: Rekas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I cured my hemorrhoid (internal) using salt water stream. Do this twice a day at least 20 minutes each. I did day and night. And I took paracetamol and ibuprofen 3 times a day. Try it!

Comment from: Gade, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

After years of hemorrhoid pain and problems I tried using coconut oil about 2 months ago. Now I have no pain, no itching, no blood, and hemorrhoids are basically gone. I use 100 percent pure and natural oil once or twice a day. Relief was immediate once I started using coconut oil. Try it!

Comment from: G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

After suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids for years and trying cortisone creams and other prescriptions, I noticed on a recent trip to Costa Rica that my symptoms disappeared over the week that I was there and returned when I got home. Knowing that hot humid weather actually contributes to making my condition worse, I figured that simply swimming in the ocean ever day was the only thing that made sense as to why the condition abated during the vacation. I recently went to the dollar store and bought a cheap spray bottle and filled it with water then added salt to the water until it no longer dissolved (a fully saturated salt solution). When I take a shower, the last thing I do is spray myself with the salt solution, directly on the area of concern, but I don't rinse it off, leaving the area with a salt solution that eventually evaporates, leaving a salt residue that seems to cure me all day long. Nothing has worked this well and I no longer suffer from hemorrhoids, bleeding, stinging, etc. I can now walk a round of 18 holes on the golf course without that building friction that makes the last 5 holes a real pain in the backside. And what can be cheaper than salt and water, with no need for smearing messy creams on areas that are not considered to be a joy to touch. Once the spray hits the area, I can feel immediate relief if I've skipped a few days without treatment.

Comment from: Hemorrhoid treated, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had hemorrhoid, I went to the doctors, and they advised for surgery. Later one of our relatives informed me that it can be cured without surgery. I consulted that clinic. They give me pain killer injection and they put some medicine and tied the hemorrhoids. In a day or two when I went to the toilet hemorrhoids fell off, and later day by day pain reduced and it healed. It has been 2 years now and till now no issues with me. I suffered a lot so thought let me share. Applying coconut oil helps you.

Comment from: moon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

This is only for the brave! I had a huge external hemorrhoid (with its own heartbeat). Clean by taking a warm Epsom salt bath. Pat dry. Make a paste with cayenne pepper and coconut oil (you can add turmeric too) and apply directly to hemorrhoid. Put on old underwear (it stains clothes) and lie on the side with your favorite movie. This burns! But it still does not hurt as bad as the hemorrhoid. The burning goes away in about 5 minutes. My hemorrhoid shrunk within 10 minutes. The next day, clean and apply only coconut oil; things will be super dry/raw in that area.

Comment from: Clubdncr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Honestly the only thing that worked a lot for my hemorrhoids is Hemclear. Expensive at 50 plus but worth it! You have to take it 3 times a day for 40 or so pills but after 2 or 3 weeks they are 80 to 90 percent gone. I have been using it on and off for years.

Comment from: Alison373, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

First of all, I did not win the battle against my hemorrhoids and had them removed with THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) in spring and fortunately don't have problems anymore now, but I suffered for many years and found that the following home remedies worked for me when it got really bad: twice a day a Sitz bath (to clean properly), afterwards a cold cloth with tea tree oil (for disinfection) and then Preparation H. After a couple of days it always got better. Plus of course, a fiber rich diet and plenty of water. I talked to other sufferers and I think everybody has to find his or her own home remedy. I personally don't believe there is one treatment that helps everyone.

Hemorrhoids Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

Desitin diaper rash ointment (40% zinc oxide) was the first thing I ever tried that worked. I made my own Desitin suppositories. Hemorrhoids have not been a problem since. Nothing else worked. After reading about applying it as a cream, I took it a step further. Try this. Take a piece of Saran wrap or aluminum foil, squirt a line of Desitin 40% on it a few inches long. Freeze it. When frozen, cut into 3/4 inch strips and you have homemade suppository. I applied once a day before bedtime. I had great results after one application. I did it for a week for the heck of it. The cold sensation lasts only 1 or 2 seconds.

Comment from: chopinlover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I love using zinc oxide/cod liver oil diaper rash cream on my hemorrhoids. Nothing else works as fast. Preparation H doesn't work nearly as fast or as well. I also make sure to soak in a hot tub, eat lots of fiber, and use alcohol free wipes. Sometimes I will use a plain warm water enema, very carefully to make sure everything is flushed clean. Then insert liberal amount of the diaper cream into the anus, twice a day. Two years ago I did have a very severe external thrombosed hemorrhoid and I did run and get it lanced, drained and would do it again in a heartbeat. Since then I have a much smaller one that is not nearly as bad {not in same spot, the bad one never came back on that side} and I seem able to control it with the zinc cream, so far.

Comment from: sherryt, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I just read about Desitin and my hubby being just went to the store for me tonight to pick some up. I had also read that being on antibiotics can help cause hemorrhoids, due to what it does to your digestive system. I have been using preparation H for over a week with little to no change. Keeping my fingers crossed that Desitin will work.

Comment from: saved!, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

Zinc for hemorrhoids saved my life. Thank you for posting!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My body does not like antibiotics. For a very minor infection which was almost healed my doctor gave me a prescription 40 tablets to be taken with water one every 6 hours. I followed his direction exactly. It gave me hemorrhoids that itch and burn and light bleeding that have lasted over two months. I also had fever blisters for two weeks. I watch my diet pretty closely and have never been affected like this before! I am rarely ever sick. I may change doctors.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have gotten hemorrhoids for about the last 6 years or so and absolutely nothing helps. I am so sick of all these phony advertisements for creams, natural remedies they want you to pay a fortune for. Well, I finally found this site and I got to tell you whoever wrote about the zinc-oxide is my one true HERO. I went out and got some DESITIN Diaper Rash ointment which has 40% zinc oxide and I applied it once at bedtime and guess what NO hemorrhoids this morning. It absolutely shrunk the piles and I can sit again. Anyone who reads this has to get DESITIN Diaper Rash Ointment.

Comment from: puteri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am suffering of severe pain during defecation, bleeding and hard stool post naturally. I was given Anusol suppositories, lignocaine gel and defalan tablets. On top of that, I took high fiber diet. The bleeding ceased, however the pain persisted. It has been 2 weeks now. I find inserting Anusol into the anus too painful.

Comment from: scaredenough, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been using coconut oil for hemorrhoids, it does help soothe but it doesn't make them go away.

Comment from: worriedspouse, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My husband is 24 years old and has worked in the textile industry. Heavy lifting was required for the job and as a result, he suffers from hemorrhoids and has for the past three years. We have been to specialists, GI doctors and emergency rooms all over for his pain and severe anemia. Bleeding is quite severe and recently the hemorrhoid has protruded outside the anus. Please tell me where to purchase hemezz. I have looked all over and cannot find it. After Preparation H., ProctoFoam, suppositories, injections, iron pills, noni juice (you name it, he's tried it) and no luck, any advice (especially regarding hemezz) would be greatly appreciated!

Hemorrhoids Slideshow Pictures