Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ken Stashko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had hemorrhoids for many years. Multiple doctors had no answers, just told me to wet the toilet paper at the end of wiping to clean anal area properly. Then I had the observation that the piles got worse when I ate dairy. I cut out the dairy completely, and the result is amazing, in just a few days, the piles have subsided and almost completely gone away. I know everyone is different, but this worked really well and is quite simple. Just have to always check ingredients, and check with waiters at restaurants.

Comment from: Seeger, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 22

I treated my hemorrhoids with cod liver oil and olive oil. Makes sense since Preparation H is made with shark oil. Still took several weeks but I am symptom free now. I wear panty liners as the oil will discolor your underwear. I continue to use wipes to clean.

Comment from: Ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have suffered on and off with hemorrhoids, which I developed during pregnancy/childbirth. Very painful, but always manageable. However, last fall I had a thrombosis. Long story, but because things weren't taken care of properly in the first place, I ended up having an emergency surgery and a 3 week recovery. Anyway, what I want to say is that cortisone suppositories work for me (if they had been prescribed right away, I doubt I would have had that surgery). Since surgery, things have never been the same. I have to be very careful now, that I don't lift anything heavy enough to cause pressure in my abdomen, or I know I'll pay for it. Now my doctor writes me a refill prescription for the suppositories, so I know I'll have them when I need them.

Comment from: cy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had surgery for a hiatal hernia because it was causing my stomach to partially twist, which happens in only 5 percent of hiatal hernia cases. Its official name is a partial stomach volvulus which is extremely dangerous if it twists and gets stuck. I was very lucky that mine did not, but given enough time it would have. I had to wait 10 months for my surgery which was extremely stressful. After waking up from surgery I was in more pain then I have ever been in, but in time that went away and I am extremely happy I got it done.

Comment from: sinfulangel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had three internal hemorrhoids and just had the last banding done on the third one and I tell you it's worth it but it is painful and it goes on for a good couple of months because you can only have it done once every two weeks so far so good.

Comment from: Aamir K., 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 11

Homeopathy has the solution for hemorrhoids. Collinsonia 30 and nux vomica 30 are the medicine for piles (hemorrhoids).

Comment from: sankha, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

Eat salted guava and sweet-melon (optional) for dinner. It cured hemorrhoids for me in 2 days.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have hemorrhoids since my third child (10 years) sometimes they bother me and other times they don't cause any pain or itching. The other day however I discovered a small pimple or skin tag on the outside opening of my rectum. It bothers me when I have a bowel movement and wipe sometimes it bothers me when I am wearing thong underwear as well. Is something I should be concerned about?

Comment from: alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Desitin works very well and is cheap. Prep H helps some too. Clean area with witch hazel and clean out any mucus build up as quick as you can otherwise I find it aggravates the area pretty quickly. I find that by doing these steps I can get them taken care of (Or at least much better) in a week or less.

Comment from: neilia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have occasional have constipation. I noticed what seems to be a skin tag outside my anus. This is not causing much trouble, but it seems to have remained for some time now. I had gone to a gynecologist for other reasons when I also mentioned this. He presumed they are hemorrhoids and prescribed a few adult suppositories. They look very dreadful – like dark-colored rockets. I'm wondering if my hemorrhoids are really external hemorrhoids and if the “rectal rocket” suppositories have to be fully inserted for an external cure.

Comment from: Mendy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 69 years old and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia many years ago. The only medication that has worked for me is Nexium, 40 mg. Recently, I have been taking the Nexium two times a day and also some antacid over-the-counter pills. On New Year's Day, I went to the emergency room because I thought that I was having a heart attack. I had eaten a very small amount of scrambled eggs and felt so bloated that I thought I would burst. I began getting a great deal of pressure in my upper abdomen, back, neck, and upper arms. I couldn't stand up straight. I took two antacid pills and continued to feel worse. I finally went to the ER and thankfully my EKG and cardiac enzymes were fine. On X-ray, the doctor saw what he thought was my esophagus being pushed to one side of my chest. Then he did an MRI and said that it was a GI problem, gave me a GI cocktail, and I immediately felt better. I can't get an appointment with a GI doctor until April.

Comment from: Miserable, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Since I was about 20, I've had a strange feeling in my lower chest, mostly on the left side. For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with my heart, but there was really never any direct evidence, and it began to be more of a pressure and a constant discomfort under my ribs. No doctor could tell me anything other than "you're fine," and so the mystery continued. Only now at age 29 have I finally gotten an endoscopy. I apparently have a "small" hiatal hernia and "mild" gastritis. All I want is to feel a normal feeling in my body and not bloated, gassy, and on the verge of a heart attack all the time. It just seems as of it's something easy enough to fix but my doctor says there are no good surgeons in Las Vegas who can do the operation. My journey starts here, and hopefully this helps somebody else figure it out.

Comment from: Need help please, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and gastritis about a week ago but have had this problem for two years, since I was about 17. I take omeprazole, Paxil (anxiety medication; it helps when you stress out and your heart begins to beat quickly) and Antivert for pain relief. My lower chest, both kidneys, and eyes hurt horribly. I constantly feel nauseous and have an acid taste in my throat. I've never puked, though. My stomach constantly makes noise as well.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female Published: January 14

I am 15 years old, and I have a hiatal hernia. A few months ago, I had a foreign object lodged in my esophagus and needed an endoscopy. After the procedure, my doctor told me that I had the hernia, and I might have gotten it from the scope accidently poking a hole through my diaphragm, but it might have been there already. Lately, I have been extremely nauseous and whenever I lie down, I feel acid come up from my esophagus, resulting in extreme nausea and burning. I can barely eat anymore because of the acid indigestion. I plan on going to the doctor soon to see if there's a medication to help.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 25. I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia after an endoscopy five months ago. Sometimes, I feel this sharp pain on my abdomen. I do not vomit, I don't have nausea or heartburn, but I often feel this pain in my central abdomen below my ribs.

Comment from: Herniasucks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 27, and I was told that I have hiatal hernia. I was prescribed Protonix; however, I started getting an allergic reaction to it. I started getting itchiness and rashes after taking Protonix for about a month. I guess I have to go back to the drawing board.

Comment from: TwoTwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

For the past 12 weeks when I walk I experience unbearable pain in my chest and back, this also causes a tight feeling in my neck, nose and the back of my neck and I have to stop walking every 20 meters or so. My doctor tells me this is acid reflux and gave me pump inhibitors. They have been of no use at all and the symptoms are just as bad as ever they were. Additionally if I bend or lift I get pain in my upper abdomen, tightness in my neck and head. These symptoms are so debilitating I feel I need a better diagnosis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have had some symptoms for years, but recently they got much worse - difficulty breathing properly, especially while lying down, and acid reflux. My chiropractor was able to get the knot in my stomach back down through the hernia, but it doesn't take much for it to come back up. I thought *I* was having trouble, but most here seem worse off. I use an herbal remedy called "Acid Soothe" and will be trying to lose weight and have regular chiropractic adjustments. Alprazolam helps to relax my diaphragm and help me breathe normally.

Comment from: Mam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My sister has acid reflux so bad she had to have surgery about two months ago. She now has a hiatal hernia she has be on every medicine you can name nothing helps, the pain in her chest just between both breast and in her back is horrendous, she is taking morphine, codeine and anything else her doctor prescribes. She goes for another upper GI test tomorrow.

Comment from: justweezy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have Hiatal Hernia, after most meals, I am nauseous and eventually go into a coughing spell. This leads to vomiting. Lately my vomit has been white foam and then what I eat. I eat Tums/or take Mylanta to try and prevent the irritation causing my coughing spell. I have also gained 35 lbs because I always feel hungry. Should I have cause for worry?

Comment from: marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am currently using a health food drug called Slippery Elm and it was like a miracle. I took my first dose and my pain subsided within 2 hours. My pain was so severe that it traveled up my chest and into both of my arms.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter