Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Irene L., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I've taken everything. So far the best medicines for migraine headaches are beta blockers or Relpax. Also acupuncture or acupressure have helped. Drinking hot chamomile tea can help.

Comment from: D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I was just diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I had no idea I had it. I went to the doctor for bad heart burn, because I have been on heart burn medications for about three years and thought something was up. I was then told about the hernia; with hind sight I have had some symptoms for a while and just didn"t know. The shortness in breath is the worst. I recently moved to a high altitude area and thought it was just old age; I was wrong.

Comment from: SMatthews, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My first episode made me think I might be having a heart attack - the tightness in my chest, the pain, the shortness of breath - it was awful. That was 30 years ago and I've had plenty of episodes since then but I figured out a way to stop the attacks dead in their tracks. Drink something (anything) very, very fast until you're able to have a hearty burp. Once you burp, the pain, the pressure, the shortness of breath all disappear.

Comment from: ppkk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a 52 year old female and was told when I was around 30 that I have slight hiatal Hernia and I have many of the symptoms. I have burping, acid reflux, pieces of food regurgitating hours after having eaten the meal, pain in upper left side of abdomen, sometimes dull pain in the right side of abdomen. Have had all possible tests, tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix - the works. I am feeling so much better ever since I saw this integrative doctor 2 years ago! I take digestive enzymes before eating lunch, Phillips probiotics after lunch. I do this for 4 to 6 months, then go off the regimen for 6 months and then start again. He also prescribed L-Glutamate 2000mg/ twice a day (from health food store) that I took for 6 months. I watch what I eat and this has worked miracles for me.

Comment from: Melissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms of my hiatal hernia were a bulge sticking out, occasional severe pain when bending or twisting at the waist, and heartburn.

Comment from: theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have been having pain swelling and a little bleeding. I have tried everything nothing seems to work. I just want some relief from the hemorrhoids.

Comment from: twitzdary, 35-44 Female Published: November 05

I recently developed a hemorrhoid after a very forceful bowel movement. (Learned that one the hard way) and the first few days were extremely painful, felt like a stabbing pain in my anus any time I sat down/stood up. Four days have passed; the pain is still present, though not as bad. But now when I have a bowel movement, there's blood on the stool. Going to the doctor today to get it checked out.

Comment from: Deena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am so thankful for this website and the helpful tips. I have been suffering from hemorrhoids for a few years now. Mine have not shrunk at all and in fact have gotten worse. The biggest issue is the itching and burning- a little bleeding too. Prep H did nothing and after going to a handful of doctors who weren't helpful, I decided to do more research and see what my options were for treatments. I found lidocaine to help but only if I douse the area. The suppositories also help at night - I can at least get a few hours of sleep. I will now try desitin and hemeez. I am so frustrated with my doctors because they take it so lightly. They even make me feel ashamed (one said I had herpes even though I'm not sexually active for religious reasons). I am a healthy 28 year old female and I just want some relief and a doctor who has more treatments than prep H. Hopefully MDs will research this topic more to help out their patients.

Comment from: cory, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I felt a swelling on the left side of anus. Then it increased in size within 3-4 days and developed pain. Doctor examined and declared external hemorrhoids. He gave me some anesthetic cream and asked me to add fiber in the diet. Then after 10 days the swelling was over so is the pain, but still after 10 months I have a small lump over the same place and my toilet paper do have small blood mark after bowel moments. I don't have constipation. I exercise a lot. I eat vegetables and fruit. I don't know why my problem is still not over. I am ashamed of telling others.

Comment from: macca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

Hi from down under i.e. age 68 - have had problems with gastric reflux which medicos treated with Losec and seemed to work. then became iron deficient and, after many appointments, much money, many blood tests scans etc. diagnosed as having "a large percentage of my stomach in my thoracic/chest cavity. I feel breathless and heart does funny things but doesn't seem to be worrying doctors. I got a copy of the report from physician which said. I could manage with symptom therapy i.e. iron I guess. Unless and this freaked me out a surgeon could be found who would be prepared to "tackle" this hernia. What the heck does that mean. I have contacted godlike physician and of course have to go through St. Peter (oooops - his personal assitant) still waiting for some info - anyone else out there who has a similar condition. I need to move on this contrary to the song time is not on my side and I have plans for the so-called golden years which right now seem all too short.

Comment from: Jillian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am 30 years old was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia back in May 2011. I was having a lot of reflux and pain right after I ate under the ribs, burping every time. I had my gall bladder removed in May and the doctors decided not to fix it. Since my surgery, I've had more intense pain and not improving since change in diet or medication (been on domperidone, sucrafalate, prevacid and dexilant). I am awaiting the surgery to repair the hernia and hoping to start feeling better. I have been gaining and losing a lot of weight lately and it is frustrating!

Comment from: missnoee, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

I felt sick to my stomach for years, almost like hunger pains, but after eating it got worse. Whenever I bent over or carried something fairly heavy, I felt sick. Found out I had an umbilical hernia and had it repaired and felt better but the symptoms came back only further up like half way between my navel and ribcage. Bending or carrying anything gives me sick to stomach feeling and soreness in slightly swollen area just under left ribcage. I think it's a hiatal hernia. I take meds for reflux, and lately that doesn't help when I go to bed at night. I am 67.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am 66 years old and have been suffering from extreme belching sometimes 24 hours a day since August of 2010. I have no heartburn, chest pain or acid reflux. I went to a gastro doctor from October of 2010 to present after upper & lower GI, CAT scan of stomach, colonoscopy and endoscopy I was told it was diverticulitis and after two rounds of heavy antibiotics it was better but never went away. I could hardly leave my house go to church movies etc. due to the belching. About September of 2011 it was getting so severe I went to emergency as I could not sleep. I had taken many medicines such as Prilosec with no help. The hospital gave me a shot of Reglan, a magic mouthwash that you swallow. November 2011 a cardiologist found a large hiatal hernia after a cat scan of my heart and lungs. I am going to a new gastro doctor in January as I question after 1 year of tests and treatments I was not diagnosed with the hernia it took a cardiologist to do so. I just had my thyroid taken out last week and the surgery was a snap but in the recovery room I belched from noon to 2:00 AM until a doctor prescribed something. My thyroid surgeon said I will probably need hernia surgery. All I want is to stop belching. I am under control today but know it will not last.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am 24, and have had severe acid reflux for 6 years and have been unable to get it under control. This past week, I've been vomiting and no matter how many otc meds I take, I cannot get the heartburn to go away. What's more, there is a pressure just behind my sternum and at the base of my throat, which is what I think is causing the vomiting, because it's triggering my gag reflex. I think it is a hiatal hernia, but I need a referral before I can get an upper GI, and my doc refuses to give me one. Here's to a long battle of suffering.

Comment from: druidtrekker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. The MRI I had confirmed it. I don't have the typical symptoms (ex. heartburn) but I get pains in my chest like I am having a heart attack or something and I also from time to time have trouble eating and have to have a glass of water or something near me to drink when the food gets stuck. Usually it is only the first time I try to eat something after the first bite of food and the drink following it I am fine. Presently waiting for Surgeon appointment. This will be my 2nd time having to do this. The first time we tried stretching the esophagus to avoid surgery but that really did not work. I stretch it several times. This time going straight for the surgery.

Comment from: ArmyGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 30 year old woman. I have been having what was thought of as unrelated health issues for over a year now. Chest pains and shortness of breath lead to a cardio stress test which was clear. Lower abdominal pain which lead to a laparoscopy looking for endometriosis which was clear. It also leads to a full urologist screening and scope which were all clear. Was told to go Gluten free by my PCM and it helped a little with the nausea, heart burn, and abdominal pain. Finally went to a GI and after an endoscope and colonoscopy I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, acid reflux, internal hemorrhoids and a twisted sigmoid and descending colon. Nexium is working a lot with the acid reflux and nausea and a bit with the chest pains and such. Have to go back to the GI doc for the treatment plan for the rest. All I want is to feel better and get back into shape again. Here is to hoping!

Comment from: Nova Scotia, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about 8 years ago. I take two 150 mg tabs of Zantac per day which has worked for years. About once a month a get the chest pain attack usually in the night. I wake up with the feeling a balloon is blowing up in my right lung. The pain travels up my back under the shoulder blade, continues up and across my jaw, as well as, down my right upper arm. I find drinking a glass of cold water helps, but the pain can last up to thirty minutes. Eventually, it goes away, but is absolute hell while the attack happens.

Comment from: Mum44, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was first diagnosed with hiatal hernia about 10 years ago. The doctors think I got the hernia because I had a lot of weight gain during my pregnancies due to gestational diabetes and, because I am small, this caused too much pressure on my insides. My first symptoms were pain around my heart, and I thought I was having heart problems. After many tests, I finally went for an endoscopy and the hernia was diagnosed. I approached a couple of doctors about surgical repair, but was turned away as they deemed the surgery 'too dangerous'. I have found sleeping as upright as possible helps - at the moment I sleep in a reclining chair and am saving up to buy an adjustable bed. I have also found that light pressure around my ribcage helps, and use a rib belt, especially if I have to do any lifting. I get a lot of reflux, and found that eating smaller meals helps - eating seems to defuse the acid attacks.

Comment from: Keith, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

I have suffered from Acid Reflux for the last 7-8 years. I have twice now suffered such severe chest pains, pressure, arm pains, dizzy spells and shortness of breath that I thought I was having a heart attack. Both times I got an EKG just in case and my heart was fine. I am now going to a gastro doc to get checked for a hiatal hernia. I was taking Omeprazole but was just switched to Dexilant after the most recent attack. I'm kind of hoping it is a hiatal hernia cause then I can do something about it, I'm only 37 and don't want to live the rest of my life like this. Could be worse though I guess.

Comment from: JoAnn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I've had Acid Reflux and GERD in the past. I have taken prescription medicine and it has helped. I am, however, very cautious about taking Antacids anymore. The reason a person can have Acid Reflux in the first place is because there is NOT ENOUGH acid to break down the food that was eaten. So when you take an antacid, you could actually be making your symptoms worse. I refuse to take an antacid anymore and just choose to modify my diet if I need to.

Comment from: Concerned, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Hi, my son of 12 was just diagnosed with hiatus hernia. His symptoms started actually way back in his younger years. He would usually gag on food, telling us that he is choking from dinner. We thought that it was perhaps from eating meat, but even spaghetti sometimes brought on his gagging and stuck food in his esophagus. We tried to tell him he is not gagging just swallow it, but what happens every time is that he would go to the bathroom and try to force it back up. We tried to make him drink water, but that didn't help, he just regurgitated the water right back up. After many years of this, it was way too much for a normalcy. After one episode in where I saw him regurgitate about a cup full of water, which we made him drink to swallow his food, I got worried and took him to a ENT specialist, we got a dye x-ray of his throat, and the result was a probable hiatus hernia, we are going to see GI doc next week. I hope he will be okay.

Comment from: trudy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

When I get a Hiatal Hernia attack, it feels like I just got punched in the stomach. The pain usually starts mid-day. Throughout the afternoon into the evening it gets worse. I also have horrible back pain along with the stomach pain. The pain in the back seems to go up and down the back of my ribs. Last night I also felt a bulge on my right side just under my ribs. Last night the pain was horrible!

Comment from: HeidiK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Well, I feel too young for this forum but. I am 28 years old and just found out I have a Hiatal Hernia. Maybe being a slight hypochondriac has worked out for me, because I didn't leave the strange symptoms long before going to the doctor. First doctor was clueless and paid no attention to my breathing problems, which disturbed me, and was certain the stomach pains and reflux then the breathing problem were not related. Second Doctor was bang on the money straight away. My worst symptom is the breathing trouble, feeling like a just can't get a deep breath, then the bloating, reflux and embarrassing burping 24 hours a day. Only found this out today, so start the medication, see how that goes and go from there for now. So glad I went to this other doctor. He leaves no stone unturned.

Comment from: shadow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I am a 67 year old white male and for the past year I have been having trouble swallowing bulky foods such as bread and I would get a bloated feeling and could tell my stomach was blocked. The only solution was to vomit up the food that had accumulated in my esophagus and then I could resume eating as long as I took small bites and chewed them well. I had an upper GI endoscopic exam that revealed I had a large hiatal hernia. I am now waiting for a follow-up appointment with my gastro doctor to find out his opinion for the best course of treatment. I feel better knowing the cause of my problem, but wish it would be treatable with medication instead of surgery.

Comment from: td42, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 05

New to the hemorrhoids and not sure what to do. 42 healthy male who runs 3 times a week. Have no problems going to the bathroom. It's as easy as one two three. However three weeks ago out of nowhere I got a hemorrhoid. It is swollen but does not bleed, no constipation, no diarrhea. Now I go twice a day instead of once but just as easy as before. My concern is it has not shrunk and always feels like a pole in my butt but not painful. I stopped exercising. Prep H does nothing.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am currently 28 years old, and was diagnosed officially diagnosed when I was 19. I have regurgitated my food my entire life; I remember being very surprised to find out that everyone didn't do it. Considering that my father has also had a lifelong hiatal hernia (despite corrective surgery), I'm fairly confident that I was born w/ mine. Even though I take medication, I have severe GERD symptoms, as well as incredible difficulty swallowing. If I swallow while bent over, stomach acid will flow right into my mouth. Not only painful, but also seriously disgusting. But I've always been this way and have learned to adapt, so I've never really given surgery any thought. However, the possible long-term damage it might be doing to my esophagus is making me seriously re-evaluate the situation.

Comment from: itsjustme123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I've had a hiatal hernia since birth.. I'm 16 and I still haven't had surgery on it. It gives me no problems but since I'm an athlete I have a high chance of something rupturing and killing me, so the doctors are requiring me to have surgery.. I'm scared!

Comment from: pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I get a really bad attack after I swallow food – sometimes the food does not go down. I just keep getting sick. I can't even swallow water or take a pill. I need to be near a bathroom, as I keep getting sick. It can last from an hour to eight hours – whenever the food goes down. There is nothing to take during this attack, as it will not stay down.

Comment from: Angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am a 32-year-old female and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia when I was 15. I have been having severe pain between my shoulder blades, pain in my jaw, face, right arm, left rib cage, and back, along with terrible heartburn. I take Prilosec, which helps on occasion. I went to the ER when I thought I was having a heart attack. My EKG came back OK, and was sent me home with “anxiety.”

Comment from: BurpyBaby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I have had tenderness under my sternum for years. I kept telling all my doctors. One year ago, I had an upper GI, but the doctor couldn't get me to reflux. The pain was so bad in my upper central abdomen and back that I couldn't lie or sit down. I went to my GI doctor. Now, I have a small hiatal hernia, mild gastritis, had mild pancreatitis. The pain and burping have increased. I never burped until this year. He changed my PPI to Dexilant and it helped, but sometimes I have to take the GI cocktail to get the pain to stop. It is sharp, stabbing, sickening and about an 8 on the pain scale.

Comment from: Cramper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 70 years old and have had a hiatal hernia and GERD for more than 40 years. It is getting worse all the time. I have been to the ER several times thinking I was having a heart attack. This is a miserable condition that I would not wish on anyone. I have frequent bouts of nausea, vomiting, severe cramping, gas, and mostly severe chest pain. My cardiologist diagnosed my hernia. And my heart is fine. I don't know much about the surgery, as at my age it might be too difficult to recuperate from. I have noticed that my pain can be on one side or both sides of my chest. Sometimes when I turn to my right side in bed it helps somewhat. I also take Nexium twice daily. Carafate, digestive enzymes, and sometimes Bentyl for the cramping. I wish there could be a magic solution.

Comment from: Bettie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I frequently have feelings of nausea after eating. I have just had a CT scan where a small hiatal hernia was found. I do not have any burning sensations. Frequently, after eating, I find myself wishing I could throw up. My most recent symptom is that I have a huge amount of gas in my stomach and intestine and sometimes have undigested food pass into the intestinal tract. Eating 6 to 12 ounces a day of nonfat and all natural Greek yogurt seems to have helped this to some extent.

Comment from: goingcrazy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I am at my wits end. I am absolutely miserable. I had my gallbladder removed seven months ago, in which the doctors told me that my pain that I am experiencing will go away, but it has not. Seven months later, I have been diagnosed with a "small" hiatal hernia. Because of my gallbladder removal, I have done the low fat diets, antacids, etc. I am in pain constantly regardless of what I eat, how much, how little, and even hurt when I don't eat. Something has to be done. Serious pain going on here

Comment from: johno, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 17

I had major surgery in 2011 for Hartman's reversal and as the months have gone by the pain in my chest gets worse i have always had a gastric stomach, and always took nizatidine tabs, but in hospital they changed them to esomeprazole, but I have an ileostomy and these tabs are making it loose. I thought maybe it is not a gastric stomach may be it is a hiatus hernia.

Comment from: oldticker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation several years ago and recently read a report showing a connection between hiatal hernias and atrial fibrillation symptoms.

Comment from: majorgator2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I feel a tingling sensation on the left side of my stomach that sometimes turns into a spasm. One morning I had a severe stomach ache and twice I have had what I thought was the stomach virus but maybe was due to the hernia because once I vomited several times I was fine. I just feel bloated any time I eat and my stomach burns.

Comment from: Avi, (Patient) Published: September 21

Not sure how long I have been having this hiatal hernia, but this was diagnosed only eight months ago when I had severe abdominal pain, mostly below my ribs on the left. I had to go to the emergency room in the hospital where I was treated with an injection. I started feeling better after a few hours. Recently, I had similar pain, and again, I got treated with an injection. Sometimes the pain is so severe, I feel as if I am having heart problems, but I know that's not the case because my ECG came back normal.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and the pain is so unbearable! I have tight cramping right under my sternum that goes around to the lower pelvic area and lower back. I am being bounced from my family doctor to a gastro specialist and then back to my family doctor, then to my pain doctor and now to a gynecologist! I'm just looking for some kind of pain relief!

Comment from: connect, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 08

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. When lying on my back I have a huge lump that appears just where the esophagus would meet the stomach. Lately every time I swallow I get a sharp pain in that same area.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Ive been on Nexium for about 9 years. After the removal of my gallbladder. I now have been diagnosed with hiatal hernia...bloating is unbearabl, I can't even wear a bra...I've now been put on a different drug and am hoping to have the symptoms alleviated.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 10

I have tried taking two Alka Seltzer when in the midst of a painful attack and in about 30 minutes the pain subsides. I have tried this on three occasions and it has worked each time.

Comment from: Charlavan, (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a senior and have had a hiatal hernia all my life as far as I know. Both sisters and mother had it also. Mine is tolerable most of the time but lately it feels like a huge pressure from my back to front. Only once was I rushed to the hospital because of the pain.

Comment from: bbm, 45-54 Female Published: June 09

I have hiatal hernia and some days it is very painful, makes me feel nine months pregnant. The pain drains me. Despite medications and being cautious with my diet, I have had no luck.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

Hemorrhoids occur to me about 1-2 times per year. Painful sensation while defecating and some pain while flexing the muscles of the anus. I have observed the occasional blood on toilet paper. I have no pain or problems outside these occurrences.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Yesterday I went to my chiropractor for a "hiatal hernia adjustment" to push my stomach back down through the diaphragm hiatus. I was diagnosed with acid reflux by ENT and want to avoid taking the prescribed Nexium. I am eliminating dairy and gluten, as well as other processed foods while adding barley greens to make my gut more alkaline. Also eliminated my beloved coffee just in case that is contributing to the acid environment and swelling of the esophagus and spasms, possibly contributing to the pulling up of my stomach through the hiatal opening in my diaphragm.

Comment from: Chia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have been suffering from severe nausea, vomiting and reflux for more than 15 years. Over the last 8 years, I started having a dull ache in my abdomen area. Since I also have a thyroid problem, my doctors attributed a lot of my aches and pains to that. However, no one ever suggested endoscopy. But over the last 3 months, I wasn't able to sleep at all with the food travelling right back into my mouth as soon as my head hit the pillow. I also had shortness of breath and recurrent pain in the chest. My stomach area has also been tender of late, with distinct swelling on the abdomen and also my face. I got my endoscopy done on my own and was advised that I have a very large hiatal hernia. Others whom I've talked to state that a stabbing pain in the navel area is typical of hernia. Though I have been put on medication to see how I respond to the same, my doctor is quite certain that I would require surgery. It feels awful to know that I've been suffering for half my life because of something that was right there and never diagnosed even with all the symptoms on display.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Aciphex is the best acid reducer I have ever tried. Been on reflux medicine for years and it is the only one to help. Recently my insurance stopped covering it. Now I am back to having terrible symptoms with chest and back pain with shortness of breath.

Comment from: Michelle E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 48 year old female, who was diagnosed w/a small hiatal hernia. It has been terrible! The doctor (GI) says they do not operate on hernia. That it can be treated w/antacids. I am a heart patient, so I cannot take anything, except Pepcid Ac. My symptoms are, tightness in chest, nausea, lower left rib side. I feel like I'm having another heart attack. Anxiety is way up too! I found a surgeon, so I'm making an appointment, can't do this anymore.

Comment from: Raja, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I (42M) had an operation at age 30 for gastric ulcer. I am suffering with acid reflex from more than 10 years. Recently I feel left lower side chest pain often for about 6 months and I was diagnosed with endoscope are Hiatus Hernia, GERD LA-B and Chronic DU and also found gallstones with ultra sound abdomen test. My Doctor prescribed Pantorish D and Ganaton. I am using these for 15 days. I have to sleep on back side or by side; pressure should not apply on stomach.

Comment from: Steve, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

My father had a hiatal hernia that he refused to take care of. He often would take a bite of food and then leave the table to what he said was "burp" and then he'd be better. Over the past couple of years I've had that same sensation. Mostly with bread but not always. I get a stsuck in the esophagus feeling and need to get a bood burp out. 2 times with each burp came a large amount of fluid. It's somewhat embarassing as I MUST leave the table and find a bathroom to get rid of the fluids. I take acid medecine in the am and before having acidic foods but there' no guarantee of good results. Had an endoscopy 2-1/2 years ago.

Comment from: mamal3282, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had the surgery to repair my hernia and also was made a new valve for my reflux, but I still do not feel well. I still have the pains in my chest and also have been experiencing a lot of dizziness and very bad hot flashes. I would like to know if that is the causes from it because it is making it very hard for me to work.

Comment from: fibroqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doc said I had cysts on my ovaries. Now 2 years ago I weighed 118lb.then I start gaining weight real fast. Even I walk exercise and don't eat much. Some days I skip a meal. A month ago I seen my doctor and I weigh 245 lb. then I came back a month later and I gained another 9lb. I don't know why I gain like that. My doc said it could be the cysts but they would make me eat a lot since I told him my intake a day may be 800-1000 calories.

Comment from: Lexers, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My symptoms include heartburn that radiates through my chest into my back and shoulders, and is very sharp feeling. Also, I would frequently get very sharp stomach pain right in the middle of my stomach, which would usually evolve into the heartburn described above. My stomach would get very bloated and distended (so much so that I looked pregnant) and I could not stand up straight because of the sharp pain. I've found that regular antacids such as Tums don't seem to work for me anymore, but they did at first. I also have found through trial and error (and research on sites like these) that I need to avoid or reduce the following: dairy, eggs, spicy and greasy food, chocolate, caffeine, certain acidic fruits/veggies, and possibly gluten (still in the trial phase). Hiatal hernias apparently can cause GERD, which I might also have. My advice: If you experience any symptoms like these that are debilitating and do not seem normal and seem to increase in frequency over time, DON'T let anyone tell you it's all in your head! That's what they tried to imply with me, and I started believing it for a while. You know your body better than anyone; listen to it and be strong and voice your concerns!! My advice: If you experience any symptoms like these that are debilitating and do not seem normal and seem to increase in frequency over time, DON'T let anyone tell you it's all in your head! That's what they tried to imply with me, and I started believing it for a while. You know your body better than anyone; listen to it and be strong and voice your concerns!!

Comment from: Rodi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Last week I was diagnosed with a large hiatus hernia (553.3) and two polyps were removed from my stomach (pathology pending). My symptom is regurgitation with aspiration in my lungs. (I believe called gastro-pulmonary aspiration). It is very scary and when it happens I suffocate and cannot catch my breath. It happened to me over the years but always when I was asleep. About a month ago it happened when I was in an awake state and vertical position. Has anyone else experienced this symptom and do you have any suggestions? I am taking Prilosec and also eating an alkaline diet, small meals, not eating in the evening, etc.

Published: April 19

First thanks to all about their story. I'm 58 and have a hiatal hernia. Talk about pain! Mine starts going across my back then stops in the center of my back and radiates to the front. Feels just like a heart attack, and I should know had one at 54. I have lost 30lbs since Dec.2010 which is good, but not this way. The nasau is terrible as well as the pain. Thanks to the reading the symptoms I will be calling my GI dr TODAY! Thanks to all.

Comment from: Kathleen Werner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

All of you have just talked about me!!! 10 years ago I was an avid jogger, but then I started to get chest pains. After many years of doctors I have discovered I have a hiatal hernia but it is very upsetting as doctors I have visited do not know exactly know what to do. I have learned so much from this website---thanks.

Comment from: looking for relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I'm 56 year old female. I too live with a lot of stomach pain and heartburn. I also woke up from a deep sleep choking and thought I was going to die, sometimes my stomach would bloat and feel very gassy, which made me very anxious. I thought it was my gall bladder had it checked but I have severe heartburn which caused my voice to be hoarse. Taking Prilosec 20 mg about two weeks ago and finding some relief, still have the hoarseness but seems to be getting better.

Comment from: laz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 50 years old and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia two months ago. I have suffered with pain under my right rib moving around to the center of my back, this progressively got worse until I went to the doctor. I suffer with terrible pain daily and also sever acid reflux that chokes me at night I have already had two very close calls that I lost my breath and thought I would choke to death. I am currently on Omez 20mg which brings a little relief.

Comment from: psyQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was a 54 year old female who was experiencing a very sharp and burning pain just below the sternum, particularly after swallowing a bite of a roast beef sandwich. (Odd that it always seemed to happen whenever I had a roast beef sandwich and rarely with other foods.) Then I started feeling bloated whenever I ate pretty much any bread product. Endoscopy showed reflux but no hiatal hernia and I also underwent two other GI tests with no findings. The following year I was still having issues and underwent a HIDA scan because they suspected gall bladder. Gall bladder was fine but the HIDA scan revealed the hiatal hernia.

Comment from: steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 43 year old man who was just diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I am a disabled vet that does not want a surgery. While I lay there with that 'chalk' going thru me the Dr said "You have a massive hernia" and that over a third of my small intestine was above my diaphragm.

Comment from: Jsailr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 68 and have been diagnosed with hiatal hernia. One of the symptoms is a tightening of my throat, a sense of a lump in my throat, and my voice is pitched high, reedy and with little force.

Comment from: bj, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I'm 68 and have been throwing up at night at least 3 times a week. Had endoscopy and it showed hiatal hernia. Do not want to have surgery. Doing it all except chocolate, it is the holidays. Haven't had chocolate today, had toast and yogurt and still nauseous. I don't want to lie down as I probably will throw up.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am 61 years old and more than 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. My problem is that I also have had systemic lupus for more than 15 years, which has caused pleurisy and pericarditis on a couple of occasions. This makes me confused on what the stabbing pain really is. I feel, when I turn on my right side, a bulge that gives me pain. But it also feels like it moves towards the right side of my upper chest, and little by little the pain goes away, until I change sides again. Any idea what this might be? My doctor doesn't get it.

Comment from: jojo61, 65-74 Female Published: March 12

I just found out I have a hiatal hernia , and I agree that the pain is ungodly and throwing up is even worse. The thing that gets me is I can't even tie my sneakers. I had to get shoes that have no backs so I can slide my feet in. It sounds like stress can add to a lot of this . If you stay calm and use Xanax or something which calms the stomach down, the pain seems to calm down. This is what works for me.

Comment from: bowler_300_6x@yahoo., 45-54 Male Published: February 22

The best way to help out with acid reflux, is to take a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar! A digestive enzyme from a health food store will help also. It's expensive, but what's important, suffering from this, or spending a few dollars and feeling better?

Comment from: Atina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

The symptoms of my hiatal hernia were severe pain in the chest from vomiting, and being unable to eat because of the pain. I am also unable to sit for long, or bend over without pain. I am 30 lbs overweight (lost 20 lbs) and I am working on getting it off.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter