Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Causes

What caused your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: zzsmomma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Sitting too long on the toilet with diarrhea caused my latest hemorrhoid. I thought you could only get them from straining (constipation/child birth) but you can also get them from idling on the toilet. Your anus can get tiny tears from your cheeks pulling apart. Also I read that sitting on the toilet, cheeks spread, can reduce the blood flow to you anus. So if you have diarrhea get up after every wave to aide your blood flow. If you're constipated drink 1 liter of water (maybe a little more for males) in 10 to 15 minutes. It produces a bowel movement for me within an hour, unless I've been taking narcotic painkillers, in which case I'd invest in a stool softener if your doctor says it's okay. I am not attempting to give medical advice, that's what your primary care doctor is for. I am just sharing what has worked for me. Drinking 1 liter of water in 15 minutes almost always does the trick for me. Put a time limit on each attempt to pass stools when constipated, approximately 5 minutes on the toilet, then stand/walk around (to help blood flow again). Don't overexert yourself in an attempt to force anything out. Finally leave your phone, book or magazines in another room so you aren't tempted to stay on the toilet any longer than necessary. Though I've been guilty of prolonging my quiet bathroom time by reading on the toilet, it stops today!

Comment from: pratik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I felt a swelling on the left side of anus. Then it increased in size within 3 to 4 days and developed pain. The doctor examined it and declared external hemorrhoids. He gave me some anesthetic cream and asked me to add fiber in the diet. Then after 10 days the swelling was over so is the pain, but still after 10 months I have a small lump over the same place and my toilet paper has small blood mark after bowel moments. I don"t have constipation. I exercise a lot. I eat vegetables and fruit. I don"t know why my problem is still not over. I am ashamed of telling others.

Comment from: DirtyOne, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had hemorrhoids for years and never had any problems that lasted over a day until half way thought my prostate radiation, which gave me proctitis further inflaming them. It was a year last week when this started, everyone involved in the radiation treatments said for 10 months radiation had nothing to do with it.

Comment from: shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I've had symptoms of hemorrhoids for a few years. Whenever I went to the toilet, I'd get sharp pains in my bottom. In time, the pain eased and I had awareness of something there. Recently, I could feel a hard, jelly-like lump, but never noticed any bleeding. Also, I experienced aches in my vaginal area and a constant lower backache, which also goes up my spine and across my back. I'm about to go to the hospital for a colonoscopy. I'm so stressed that I can't sleep and have been having lot of night sweats and pain all over, like tingling in my arms and legs. I'm aware that stress has left me with a boatload of symptoms.

Comment from: asdfgh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

Since 6 days I am feeling pain in my lower anus. I think a small vein or something has been cut inside the anus resulting in which I am feeling continuous pain throughout the day. Whenever I sleep I don't feel any pain. And when I sit on a chair I feel pain at my anus. I do not whether it is the symptom of hemorrhoid.

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.