Hemorrhoids (piles) are swollen veins in the rectum and anus. Causes include pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, low-fiber diet, and prolonged sitting on the toilet. Treatment varies depending upon the severity of the hemorrhoids. Some treatment options include over-the-counter creams and suppositories, stool softeners, warm sitz baths, and hemorrhoidectomies. Read more: Hemorrhoids (Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Causes and Treatments
Learn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes...
Stages of Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trimester Images
See pictures on the various stages of pregnancy. See and learn what changes a woman's body goes through and view fetal images of...
Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
Does everyone have hemorrhoids? Test your knowledge of this and many other facts about Hemorrhoids....
Picture of Anus
The opening of the rectum to the outside of the body. See a picture of Anus and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Hemorrhoid
A dilated (enlarged) vein in the walls of the anus and sometimes around the rectum, usually caused by untreated constipation but...
Related Disease Conditions
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
A skin tag is a small benign growth of skin that projects from the surrounding skin. Skin tags can vary in appearance (smooth,...
An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the skin lining of the anus. Pain and/or rectal bleeding during bowel movements are...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
12 Best Foods to Eat for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Laxatives types for treatment of constipation include over-the-counter (OTC) preparations, for example: Bulk-forming...
Gangrene may result when blood flow to a tissue is lost or not adequate to keep the tissue alive. There are two types of...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- passion flower (Passiflora incarnata, Apricot Vine, Passion Vine, Water Lemon, and many others)
- hydrocortisone suppository - rectal, Anucort-HC, Anusol-HC, Cort-Do
- antibiotic-anesthetic-steroid-rectal ointment
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- pramoxine/hydrocortisone aerosol foam - rectal, Proctofoam-HC
- phenylephrine hemorrhoidal gel - topical, Preparation H
- witch hazel (hamamelis virginiana) - topical
- lidocaine - topical, Lidamantle, Xylocaine
- hemorrhoidal suppository - rectal, Calmol-4, Tucks
- hydrocortisone, rectal suppository, enema, foam, Cortifoam, Anusol-HC, Anucort-HC, Proctocort
- Cortenema (hydrocortisone enema)
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- antibiotic/anesthetic/steroid-rectal suppositories
- pramoxine/hydrocortisone cream, ointment - rectal, Analpram
- hydrocortisone/lidocaine - topical, Lida Mantle HC
- pramoxine and hydrocortisone (Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC)
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter