Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an X-linked recessive genetic pattern. Symptoms of hemophilia include bleeding into the:
- GI or urinary tract,
- or brain or skull.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Nosebleeds are common in dry climates during winter months, and in hot dry climates with low humidity. People taking blood...
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
A bruise, or contusion, is caused when blood vessels are damaged or broken as the result of a blow to the skin. The raised area...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Infectious Disease Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Another Gene Therapy Breakthrough Against Hemophilia
- Gene Therapy May Allow Hemophilia Patients to Go Without Meds
- New Hemophilia Treatment Stems Bleeding Episodes
- Fate of Lesser-Known Obamacare Benefits Not Known
- Researchers Develop Potential Oral Treatment for Hemophilia
- Gene Therapy Offers Hope to Some Hemophilia Patients
- 2 New Findings Offer Hope for Those With Severe Hemophilia
- Review Finds Mixed Success With Hemophilia Treatment
- Idelvion Approved for Hemophilia B
- Hemophilia: New Treatments for an Old Disease
- The Pill, Hormone Therapy Safe for Women Taking Blood Thinners: Study
- Kids' Hemophilia Drugs a Big Part of State Medicaid Spending
- New Treatment Approved for Rare Form of Hemophilia
- New Hemophilia Remedy Offers Potential for Fewer Injections
- Long-Acting Clotting Agent Approved for Form of Hemophilia
- Treatment Approved To Prevent Routine Bleeding in Hemophiliacs
- Woman's Tea Addiction Led to Loss of Teeth, Bone Problems
- Kids With Hemophilia Should Be Active, But Avoid Risky Sports: Study
- Gene Therapy a Boon for 6 Hemophilia Patients
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter