Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Karmel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have rheumatoid arthritis and been on methotrexate cancer drug for many years. The hemoglobin count was always low. I stopped methotrexate because of all its side effects. I started taking SAM-e methionine 400 mg and within 6 weeks my hemoglobin returned to normal and quite a few points into the normal range. SAM-e also corrected my hypothyroid, helped my joints several of which the rheumatoid arthritis is no longer attacking. CRP is now 8 below the range for rheumatoid and ESR 1. Rheumatoid factor is down from 1698 to 800, hopefully will fall further the longer I am on SAM-e methionine. SAM-e does not suppress the immune system, thank goodness. It modulates instead.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My hemoglobin levels have always been very low with very high bilirubin levels. I was diagnosed with Gilbert's disease, which causes high bilirubin levels. My skin turns yellow when I am sick with a virus, and the whites of my eyes have always been yellow. After two miscarriages, my OBGYN sent me to a hemotologist just to see if there was anything going on. After going through several blood tests and a painful bone marrow aspiration, it was determined that I in fact have hereditary spherocytosis. It all began to click with all of my symptoms ... yellow skin and eyes, gallbladder removal at early age, enlarged spleen, anemia, hemoglobins always hang around 8 or 9 (especially during pregnancies -- hemoglobin at one point was a 5 but mostly stayed around 7 or 8). I then began to look at my dad who exhibits all of those same traits! Now my daughter has it (17 months old), and is treated by a pediatric hemotologist. Just thought this info might help someone seeking answers to their own symptoms!

Comment from: JCB7057, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I just turned 50, and I was very tired and had no energy. I went into the doctor and they did the blood test and found that my hemoglobin was 7.0. After many tests, they found that my spleen was enlarged and spots near my colon. After a bone marrow test, they found I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma -- cancer. I have since been through my chemo treatments and have been cancer-free. My hemoglobin is on the rise.

Comment from: Rhonda, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

My husband had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but was declared in remission Dec. 2011. Since then he has remained in Neutropenia and has been hospitalized 3 times for low blood counts. The last being 17 days with 10 of that being in ICU with double pneumonia, and kidney failure. I can't even begin to count the number of blood transfusion he has received from hemoglobin, to platelets, etc. He was home for 9 days and back in the hospital with chest pain. No heart problems, but low hemoglobin that could have caused the chest pain. He also continues to have an enlarged spleen. This is a problem because it appears the spleen is not working properly and therefore continues to destroy the red cells and platelets. It could still have the lymphoma in the spleen, but he has been too ill to remove the spleen or even do any invasive testing to see. Probably will have another bone marrow biopsy to see where that is at. Last one he had in Dec. was good. It's a very hard road to travel and one that he will probably fight for the rest of his life.

Comment from: ashysmom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 25

I am the mother of a wonderful 5 year old girl. From the time she was only three days old we found out that she had hereditary spherocytosis. She had one blood transfusion when she was about a month old. Then, out of nowhere, this July we took her to the hospital because she was very tired and yellow. Her hemoglobin was at 4. The doctor said that she could have heart failure. The doctors have always told us that she is okay if she stays above 11. Well she is very yellow and tired again, so I took her to the doctor again today, which by the way, if you live in a small town like ours make sure your children only get sick Monday through Friday because the doctors, nurses and hospital staff get really inconvenienced when you show up on a Saturday, anyways, her levels are at 10.4, and they sent us home. They told us to "keep an eye on her." Luckily my sister in law is a nurse. She is a great help. Please! Just watch your children for these rare signs. This is a tricky little blood disorder!

Comment from: l clark, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

My mother was given injection of BD Luer-Lok 3 ml 25 g x 5/8. I don't have any information on the medical injection but it boosted energy. I was curious about the medicine and side effects. She has anemia, 9.5 hemoglobin. She has severe kidney disease (2.3) they work at ½ capacity. She has no energy, sleeps a lot.

Comment from: irfan, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My wife is pregnant (9th month), and she also has hepatitis B. Since last month she is not feeling well and her hemoglobin level is 9.2. She is too weak.

Comment from: colpete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I received two infant kidneys on 10/12/07 that lasted 2 1/2 years and failed due to focal glomerulosclerosis. I have been on the wait list for another transplant for 4 1/2 years (I am AB+). I have been on dialysis over 4 years and I do not take EPO (erythropoietin) because my hemoglobin count has been high (15-18). My transplant doctor had me take a CT scan and found nothing except inactive cyst in my transplanted kidneys, he now wants me to see a hematologist which I can't for 3 weeks. I will be put on hold from the transplant list. He said he does not know what the problem is but wants me to see the hematologist.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male Published: March 20

Dad passed out a couple weeks ago and was taken to the hospital. Since he has an existing heart condition, the doctors initially thought it was his heart. They tested his blood and informed us his hemoglobin count was down. They scoped his stomach and noticed erosion. He's on blood thinners daily and they gave him heparin when they thought it was his heart, so the erosion was considered a likely cause for blood loss. Why didn't they say his blood volume was low if he was bleeding and his hemoglobin count was down? I keep thinking it's because his white blood cell count is high due to infection or cancer.

Comment from: PrYnceZzMommA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 24 year old female, and I just delivered twins via c-section. At my 1 week postpartum appointment to have my staples taken out, they checked my hemoglobin because the nurse said that it had been low during my pregnancy. When they check it, it was a 7. The nurse said I looked very fatigued, said my skin was pretty pale. I was curious as to why I keep falling asleep all the time. It is so difficult to stay awake. I've always had a lower number, around a 10, but now it's lower. I am starting on iron pills to see if that will help, along with iron-rich foods. Hopefully, that helps. I need my energy back to take care of my 4 kids, all 4 and under.

Comment from: family manager, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It should be mentioned that an elevated hemoglobin can be indicative of hemochromatosis, which is iron overload. This is a genetic disorder that causes your body to hold on to iron and store it in the major organs. It can be fatal if not treated early. If one has an elevated hgb, other blood work (TIBC, saturation and serum ferritn) should be checked. There is no cure for hemochromatosis but if detected early one can live a long,healthy live by giving blood and adhering to a low iron diet. I personally had a high hgb with no other signs - iron level high normal, sat within normal limits - only when I pressed further genetic testing (because of family history) did I find out that I have hemochromatosis. Now I give blood and watch my diet and keep my levels on the low side of normal

Comment from: sophia, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother age 84 recently had a tumor removed from the cervical area of her spine. She recovered, but she did not recover yet from the wounds the rehab nursing home caused by not turning her over. Their response was she should have turned herself over. She could not due to stitches in her neck. They did not want to hear it. She also has Thalassemia minor and her hemoglobin keeps dropping. She had a transfusion and changed rehab places. Now the wound specialist tells us if her hemoglobin drops below 8.5 her wounds will not heal. The good thing is there is improvement with her wounds.

Comment from: JanetM757, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm a 61 year old female who recently requested blood tests normally given to diagnose possible causes for sudden, profuse hair loss. In doing so, I saw my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all low. With low total protein and globulin, but high carbon dioxide. If hemoglobin is low I guess that explains the low total protein, but high carbon dioxide since it is the carrier, one way or the other for both. I was surprised my doctor told me I don't need any further concern over my blood work and not to worry. I assume I'm anemic, I am cold all the time (in South Florida, love my ice in water, sleep 12 hours, wake up and want to sleep more (good thing I'm retired). I had surgery 6 months ago for a twisted colon, and from that I got a hernia. I wonder if somehow that caused anemia, and wish I knew what is causing this anemia if I knew, I could hopefully stop my hair falling out. Not only is it falling out, but it's terribly dry with breakage, and has turned frizzy like cotton candy. Anemia just has to be the reason for my "poisoned" hair and my doctor seems disinterested in my blood test results.

Comment from: karene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My hemoglobin level is at 9.0, and my doctor prescribe a small amount of iron to increase the level.

Comment from: boopgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My hemoglobin was checked because I have been experiencing fatigue. I am a 31-year-old woman, so my normal result should have been between 12-16 and mine was 8. Hopefully now with this treatment of iron, I will start to feel better again.

Comment from: Lost, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am a 31 yr old female and I am struggling with low Hemoglobin levels. I have a blood transfusion under my belt and now a chance of being placed on the drug, Procrit. This is very scary! Not knowing why I am not producing red blood cells is really keeping me down.

Comment from: anemicval, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have low hemoglobin because of adenomyosis and severe menstrual bleeding. I was admitted to the hospital last month because my level was at 6.7. I was able to get it back up to 9. In trying to control the hormones that are causing the condition, I think it's low again. I am having heart-pounding issues just walking across the room. I feel as if I could pass out at any given moment. I have a difficult time breathing. I am tired, and I can't function at work either.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My hemoglobin is very low right now it is at only 6 percent. I have bruising, and painful joints. My liver and kidneys are swelling up, and at times by 3 pm. I'm hurting so bad I wish for death to just come to me. I take depression pills but I don't think they work I have a very burning pain, pain blockers are not helping anymore. Does this sound to you like I have cancer of any kind? If so which kind?

Comment from: aya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 15 weeks pregnant. I started to feel dizzy, not concentrated, palpitations and short breath. I feel like running in a marathon if just walked a short distance. I am taking my vitamins and iron daily since I knew that I am pregnant but still feel these symptoms and feel they are getting worse. My HB in week 7 was 10 and now it is 8. I need to know why the level is low with taking iron and prenatal vitamins every day.

Comment from: llhunter71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have alpha thalasemia (2 alleles missing) trait and iron deficiency anemia. Having my hemoglobin along with my ferritin levels checked on a regular basis helps keep my disorder in check. I have had 2 blood transfusions and 4 iron infusions when my levels dropped dangerously low (I have been as low as 5.7). Without the tests being done, I could have died with even the slightest trauma. Right now my level is 12.7 thanks to a new infusion treatment done in my hematologist's office. I am monitored every 2 months now. While my thalasemia is always going to be a minor annoyance, iron deficiency can be deadly if left unmonitored and untreated!

Comment from: Avi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I am also just diagnosed with lower level of hemoglobin. I had a history of bleeding ulcer. I was told by my Dr. to take Aspirin .81mg every day. I think my Ulcer start bleeding again because of Aspirin. I will not eat any spicy food. Now I will start doing Yoga. Breathing exercise will help to bring normal hemoglobin.

Comment from: Amico, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My mom is a 74 year old women, who is gone to the doctor regarding a fever, no energy, have a hard time breathing and moving. The doctor has told her the test came back as low hemoglobin. When she asked him for something for the pain he gave her Tylenol 3.

Comment from: looselinks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

During my preo-op for extensive spine surgery, my CBC indicated low hemoglobin (9.0). I was shocked because mine usually runs around 16. For years, I gave blood to keep the hemoglobin lower. Needless to say, the surgery was cancelled, and I was fitted with a PICC line. I am scheduled for four iron infusions. I'd had 3 and the last one is next week. So far my hemoglobin has moved from 9 to 10.7, and I am hopeful that it will return to normal when I finish the infusions. My biggest concern is that a cause has not yet been determined although the GI doctor thinks it is caused by Cameron Lesions. Nothing showed on the upper GI, but I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 10 days. I don't know if there is any cure other than repeating the iron infusions whenever the hemo drops again. This does not bode well for my delayed spine surgery.

Comment from: Therese, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My father has continually a low hemoglobin count he has had hemoglobin transfusions in the past recently due to being required to have his gall bladder removed. In the past 15 years he has had his colon removed due to ulcerative colitis and a triple heart bypass, but seems to be doing poorly quite a lot. The doctor suggests his spleen could be attacking his organs and may need this removed. Can you help we need to know why his hemoglobin is very low all the time and why this could be caused by his spleen.

Published: April 09

I am a 48 year old woman recently diagnosed with AFib. When having breathing problems recently, the ER Doctor talked about an unusually high hemoglobin count. In fact, my level was 16 or 18 according to the doctor (not sure which, I was struggling to breath). He said that it was probably due to untreated asthma is this the likely cause, how it is treated, and how serious is it?

Comment from: Yvette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My doctor says, my hemoglobin is 8.2 and I really don't understand that. He says to stay off bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta. What do I eat?

Comment from: Jojo, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My sister is very anemia right now, having need to go for blood transfusion every other month. She went through various tests such as gastroscopy, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy but all suggested her entire digestive tract is normal. She discovered her anemia through faecal occult blood test, what could be her problem? What further test would you suggest?

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Thank you for the information. I donate blood regularly and the last 2 times my hemoglobin was low but they were able to take the donation. This last time it was down to 10.5 so I needed to know how to fix it. I eat a fairly healthy diet of meat, usually chicken, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. I also take a Shaklee Vitamin for those over 50+ so needed some more info. I have ordered the Iron + Vitamin C from Shaklee and hope it improves. My hemoglobin has always been high and I have no known bleeding problem.

Published: August 28

I am 59 years old. I have problems with low hemoglobin. I get blood tested every three to four weeks. Usually, I have to have a shot of Procrit. I had an autologus stem cell transplant in 2003 for amyloidosis. I'm doing OK so far. My kidneys were compromised. I notice when my hemoglobin is low, I have trouble with breathing and some fatigue.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter