The most common method used to treat advanced and permanent kidney failure is hemodialysis. Hemodialysis allows your blood to flow through a special filter that removes extra fluids and waste products. Most patients have treatments three times a week. Tests to measure treatment success are performed about once a month. Anemia, erythropoietin, renal osteodystrophy, itching, sleep disorders, and amyloidosis are all complications from dialysis. A proper diet can help improve dialysis and daily health. Read more: Hemodialysis (Treatment for Kidney Failure) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Picture of Kidneys
The kidneys are a pair of organs located in the back of the abdomen. See a picture of the Kidneys and learn more about the health...
Related Disease Conditions
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
Renal osteodystrophy is a bone disease. The kidneys fail to maintain required levels of phosphorous and calcium in the blood....
Hypertensive Kidney Disease
High blood pressure can damage the kidneys and is one of the leading causes of kidney failure (end-stage renal kidney disease)....
Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a diseases in which blood clots within the capillaries. Causes associated with HUS...
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by numerous cysts in the kidneys. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic...
Reye's syndrome (RS or Reye syndrome) is a sudden, sometimes fatal, disease of the brain with degeneration of the liver. Reye...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Depression in the Elderly
Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Nephrologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Kidney Failure Patients Face Higher Risk of Cancer Death
- CPR Not Always Given at Dialysis Clinics When Needed
- Fewer Late-Stage Kidney Deaths After Obamacare: Study
- Is the U.S. Throwing Away Too Many Donor Kidneys?
- Obese Patients Often Denied Kidney Transplants. Should They Be?
- Is Kidney Dialysis Always Needed When Septic Shock Strikes?
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Broken Hips in Dialysis Patients
- Health Tip: Maintain a Healthy Heart While on Dialysis
- One Reason Why Kidney Transplants Fail
- Hepatitis-Infected Kidneys a Safe Option for Transplant: Study
- Too Many Kidney Disease Patients in the Dark About Diet
- Fewer Dialysis Patients Facing Leg Amputations
- Hepatitis-Infected Kidneys May Be Safe New Option for Transplant
- Obamacare May Have Boosted Kidney Transplant Outcomes
- Kidney Docs Worry Over No Dialysis for Undocumented Immigrants
- Money Underpins Drop in Kidney Donations Among Men and the Poor
- Are Good Kidneys Going to Waste?
- Dialysis Patients Often End Up Back in the Hospital
- Selena Gomez Had a Kidney Transplant Earlier This Year
- Catheters Often to Blame for Blood Infections After Dialysis
- Depression Often Untreated in Dialysis Patients
- Coming Soon: A Wearable Artificial Kidney?
- Racial Disparity in Kidney Transplant Outcomes Narrows: Study
- Donor Kidneys More Likely to Be Discarded on Weekends: Study
- Kidney Patients Without Online Access Face Additional Burden
- U.S. Dialysis Patients Increasingly Live in Poor Areas
- Kidney Dialysis Increasing for Pregnant Women
- Many Dialysis Patients Ill-Prepared for Emergencies, Study Says
- Women Less Likely to Get Kidney Dialysis Than Men, Study Finds
- Aerobic Exercise May Boost Quality of Life for Dialysis Patients
- More Muscle May Help Kidney Dialysis Patients
- Black Medicaid Recipients Less Likely to Get Living-Donor Kidney: Study
- Iron Dosing Tricky for Dialysis Patients: Study
- CDC Guidelines Could Cut Bloodstream Infections From Dialysis
- 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC
- Daily Dialysis Has Risks, Benefits for Kidney Disease Patients
- Fish Oil Doesn't Cut Failure Rate of Hemodialysis Grafts
- More Kidney Dialysis Is Better, Research Finds
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter