Patient Comments: Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Right after gallbladder surgery in the recovery room the nurse noticed a hematoma and they took me back for more surgery. Coming from first surgery I had caught and broke a stich and that's how it happened. I ended up in the hospital 5 days because of it.

Comment from: ParrotSue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I fell through a deck board and bruised my right leg all the way around. After 4 weeks bruise is gone but I developed a hematoma. Now after 7 weeks the hematoma is the size of a softball above and to the right of my knee. I had it drained by the orthopedist and he got 80 cc from it. I went back today because it is bigger again and the orthopedist doesn't want to open it up and drain for fear of infection. I can't wear pants and am constantly banging it. He did do a MRI to see extent of the injury and why it is filled up again. He told me it could be a year before it dissolves on its own. It is going to be a long summer with no shorts.

Comment from: BikeRider11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a motorcycle crash about a month ago now and at the time it left me with what's known as road rash. But 2 weeks into the healing process I found that my leg started to burn and itch really badly so I went to the doctors and they said I had a hematoma within my thigh muscle. To this day it is about the size of a small dinner plate and sticks out 3 and a half inches from where my normal skin level would be. Docs gave me antibiotics which are still in the process of healing it. They also said that I would have to have it for about 6 months! So 1 month 1 week down the line it still hurts badly and will still hurt for the next 5 months!

Comment from: beth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had an incision down the middle of my tummy in 2003. The doctors found non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and they had to resection some of my intestines. A year later I had hernia surgery at the incision site. Now, it is 2015 and the doctor found a hematoma (fluctuating hard lump) in the old incision. He removed it and put in a drain. My hemoglobin dropped and I was given 2 units of blood. I am now at home and the drain is in place and such a worry. I fear that I will never reach the minimum output in a 24 hour period. I am a 72 year old female.

Comment from: beaver, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had 2 walnut sized encapsulated hematomas removed from between the pectoral muscles in the chest wall. They were attached to the subclavian vein. No known injury to site, but came up overnight with pain. Surgeon actually thought they were lymph nodes.

Comment from: MaryAnn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have hematoma all over my arms and legs.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I take an elderly (73) lady from church to her doctor's appointments. She fell one time and developed a large bump on the outside of her elbow. It is not discolored and one doctor said she had a hematoma and to ice it and wrap it. She did for a couple of days but she isn't quite all there and forgets stuff. She went to a different doctor and he said it wasn't a hematoma but sent her to a specialist and he said it is a hematoma and it needs to be removed as soon as possible. We don't know who or what to believe!

Comment from: tink, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I fell and injured my abdomen, and now have hematoma that is impacting my bladder and giving me blood flowing with urine. I am hooked up to a catheter now.

Comment from: jhun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had an intramuscular and subungual hematoma.

Comment from: Dinah 1939, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am in agony, I just got out of the hospital after 8 days with atrial fibrillation. The day I left I had this pain like a hot poker in the appendix area, but the appendix is gone anyway. The next three days have been awful. They did a CT scan of the belly and said it is a hematoma and I will just have to live with it and pain pills, supposedly it will get better over weeks. I am on Coumadin and also am a type 1 diabetic so a total depressed hurting mess. It is so painful I rate it a 9.

Comment from: Abeyratne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a right inguinal hernia surgery on 1st July. The next day doctors noticed a hematoma around the wound. Gradually, swelling, especially in the penis and scrotum, developed. I am taking antibiotics, I have no pain but am uneasy.

Comment from: -CDA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

One month after I had intercourse for the first time at the age of 21, I had my annual appointment. My Pap test came back normal, so I thought everything was fine. The following year, my Pap came back abnormal l- hrHPV (high risk human papilloma virus) with mild dysplasia. I went in a few weeks after I got the call for a colposcopy. Those results indicated that I had moderate to severe dysplasia and the abnormal cells were making their way up my cervical canal, so my doctor ordered me to have a cold knife cone biopsy. The surgery went fine and I was only down for about a day. I felt a little crampy, but Motrin seemed to do the trick. I had clear margins which means all of the abnormal cells were gone. I had a repeat Pap 6 months later and everything was fine! Let's hope it continues. I urge everyone to get their Paps done every year. My dysplasia had progressed from 'nothing' to CIN 3 in a year. Different people respond to HPV differently, so don't just assume everything is okay if you've had a normal Pap. Once you get an abnormal, never miss appointments. You're in control of this thing. The process is annoying, but things can be done to keep this situation at bay. Statistics show that 1 in 3 people have HPV but the majority of them never develop health problems from it. You don't know how you respond to it, so make sure you and your partner use protection. You don't have to be with a lot of people to contract this. I am living proof. Good luck to everyone!

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I experienced a sharp pain in my left thigh. It felt like a football injury I had in my school days and it was then called a charley horse. I went to the doctor and after conferring with another it was describe as an intramuscular hematoma. The pain was very bad and no treatment was offered then but since I was told to put ice on it. The doctor told me it would be about 4 weeks before recovery. It's been a week now and it is slowly getting better.

Comment from: happy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had blood taken from my arm which spurted out as the needle left. Immediately I felt a throbbing pain and within half hour a large bruise began to develop. For the next 2 weeks I was in agony - couldn"t bend my arm, I couldn"t sleep at night with the pain and felt sick with it. I went to doctors who confirmed it as a hematoma and said if I didn"t start to move my arm I would end up with restricted movement! There was no treatment for this. I sympathize with anyone who has one.

Comment from: Angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I tripped over and got my leg hung up in an electric fence, very low to the ground while trying to step over it. It cut my leg very deep and wide from the back of my right calf to the front of my shin bone, about a 5 and a half inch cut and 4 inches apart. It took 18 stitches on the outside and a running stitch on the inside and it was very swollen and deep. It's been 10 days and I'm on antibiotics and elevation, and some ice, able to walk well. I've not had much pain these last few days, but when I went to get the stitches taken out, the cut wanted to separate, and the hematoma was so painful to the touch, I could barely stand it. I have new prescription of antibiotics for 5 more days and then will have to go from there to see if stitches will be ready then. Till then it is just more of the same, stay off of it more, elevate it more and ice it more often, other than that it's been doing really well. It is bruised and some skin looks black, but it's starting to look better now, just hope these five days goes by quickly.

Comment from: MustangJudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

A little over 3 weeks ago, an adult cow (approximately 1100 lbs) shoved me with her head against a wooden fence. She hit my upper left thigh hard and I scrambled on top of the fence. For the next 30 minutes or so I was involved in herding the rest of the cattle, before I finally got inside and checked my leg. A dark purple area with a bright red center was on my upper thigh, measuring about 6" x 5". There was some moderate swelling of the upper half of my thigh, with a lot of pain. I lay on the couch and applied ice for about 45 minutes and took a nap. Over the next few days, I took it easy - no exercise routine, limited my walking, and generally minimized my activity. The hematoma remained warm to the touch, and the area swollen, with increased swelling later in the day and less in the morning. I didn't take anything for the pain or swelling, and over the next couple of weeks, the swelling has slowly decreased. About a week ago, I noticed a hardened area under the skin of about 1/3 of the hematoma. At the same time, I've noticed an increase in tenderness down the outer side of my left thigh and also from the front down to the knee - there was a lot of pain in these areas when I was first injured, but so far no obvious sign of injury. The hematoma has turned from all purple with central bright redness, to an expanding lighter area, from the center on out, with a purple peripheral boundary. The size has remained the same. I still feel and can see swelling, even though it has gone down quite a bit. I'm still not exercising, believing it's too early yet and will probably increase the swelling. This is taking much longer to heal than I ever would have predicted, and lets me know that ol' "Bessie" gave me one hell of a good bump! I tell my farmer boyfriend that I am now an official "farm girl"!

Comment from: Noni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a hematoma removal in February. I was involved in an accident in 2008 and bumped my head against the windscreen. I went into the hospital, the wound was cleaned and I left and went home. Months later I realized that there was a bump growing on my head. It wasn't painful at all until last year when it started swelling up and it was getting bigger and bigger. I went to my doctor and was transferred to the hospital. I had a CT brain done and I was then admitted and sent to the theater the next day to have the hematoma removal. In my case it seems like a misdiagnosis because when they operated it wasn't blood that came out but a fatty white muscle like substance which they suspected was a cyst.

Comment from: lilrev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I developed a bad cold and was coughing profusely and thought I had hurt the abdominal muscle, but in the meantime had fallen and felt unusual pain in abdomen slightly for almost two weeks. It became excruciating pain which landed me in hospital where white cell count was up, so I was placed on pain medications and antibiotics. I left hospital the next day. I am still in pain but not nearly as bad as two days ago. I was told to wait, take it easy and hematoma would likely resolve itself.

Comment from: Chip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I have a hematoma resting on my left chest area. It is not painful and unless I probe. RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) treatment has been suggested.

Comment from: marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fell from a chair when I was attempting to clean the valance on top of my vertical blinds. The valance came off and hit me and I was knocked off of the chair. I got a huge bruise (hematoma) in the center of lower left leg and bruising all the way down my leg. Next day it was worse so I went in to see a doctor to see what was wrong. I went back in to see my primary care physician yesterday, and he just said it takes a long time for a hematoma to heal. It is going on 16 days now and after using heat for 10 minutes 3 times a day, the swelling of the hematoma hasn't gone down much at all, but the bruising has gone down my leg, past the ankle and my left leg is very painful. I have done everything the doctor has told me to do and it looks and feels painful still.

Comment from: charie brown, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I ripped my left calf and it bled badly. It happened on July 12, 2013 and I've been to two doctors. One of the doctors says I'm too old for an operation and I also have diabetic type two. I also have been graced with being told I have bamboo spine. It hurts 24/7 standing, lying down, walking over 2 blocks, and sitting for a prolonged period. I hope that it won't get any worse, hope I don't have a bad health risk with this hematoma.

Comment from: Live & Love, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I recently found 2 lumps in one of my breasts. It has been 2 weeks since my biopsy and I have a lump a bit bigger than the size of a peach pit in my breast. The doctor told me today that it was significant hematoma and the sharp pains and burning I feel may all be in my head. After reading everyone's stories, I do feel better now, knowing that I am not crazy. However, she also told me it could take months to go away or there is a chance it may never go away. I cringe at the thought of having to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Comment from: minimoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I fell over a large box of books and my tummy ended up black and blue. A couple of weeks later I felt a large hard mass under my tummy skin. At times it was a bit tender but nothing else. My doctor said it was probably as a result of the fall and would just shrink and disappear. Yesterday I started with rectal bleeding (not loads) and there was no pain. I noticed that my lump had shrunk and so I guess that's where the blood came from. I will go back to the doctors if it worsens.

Comment from: Inquiring Mind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

About four weeks ago, I fell and the fall resulted in a recently diagnosed hematoma of the right inside shin. I continued my work and play activities until recently when the injury hurt too much. There's heat surrounding the area, swelling, and an infection. My physician has me on antibiotics for 10 days and extended them for another 10. Ice packs, elevation, and a slight reduction in activities have been suggested. This is proving to be more of an inconvenience to this active senior. I pray for patience.

Comment from: firearcher02, Published: June 02

After 2 days delivering my first child back in 2007 and was ready to go home. The nurse checked my temperature and blood pressure; I was not allowed to go home. Had a high fever and high blood pressure that was above normal. The nurses and doctor noticed outside my vaginal area on the side was swollen and realized I have hematoma. So was taken to surgery to cut open the swollen area and let it bleed out. Stayed in the hospital for a week and had to most painful experience whenever the doctors come to get the gauze replaced every 4 hours (the gauze was inside the vaginal). It has been 3 years now and the wound has healed but it is sensitive to the touch.

Comment from: dana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Intramuscular hematoma - Leg, below knee left of shin. Two weeks ago, applied ice for first few hours. Leg and ankle/foot swelling although kept leg elevated and limited mobility. To doctor 10 days later - hematoma diagnosed with antibiotic prescribed plus light wrap with Ace bandage. Return visit 4 days without major improvement obvious. Told to continue to observe, another course of antibiotics prescribed when complete first round if no improvement. Continue wrap, no aspirin, no major exercise although light important to avoid blood clot and loosen stiffness. Expect up to 6 - 8 weeks of healing.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have a large hematoma in my groin from a fall. It has become red and inflamed and the actual hematoma is very firm. At first I was told to apply ice, which I did. As it became worse, my doctor added antibiotics and said to apply heat, as cellulitis had developed. After three days of Keflex and heat, the redness has become smaller but the hematoma is more red, firm and sore. I am in a quandary. I'm a retired RN, and I don't like the looks of it.

Comment from: stancando, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Bottom of car door, blown by wind, struck me in calf. After 4 days the hematoma is still very painful to touch and motion of leg is painful.

Comment from: Ginny, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My husband bumped his chin and now he has a large swelling like a boil.

Comment from: jackson r., 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 21

I am the grandma of a one year old grandson son who was born with a hematoma. They sent him when he was a baby saying not to worry, it would go away as he got older. He get no medicine and it seems like going away to me.

Comment from: j72, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I have a hematoma in the arm from a fall; it covers the arm.

Comment from: katmccan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have a hematoma in the lower right abdomen.

Comment from: frsully, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was in a serious car accident on May 27. I have a huge hematoma on the top of my head. The trauma center was more interested in other injuries. They told me it would dissolve over time. I don't know if I should contact my family doctor or someone else.

Comment from: slep rock, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My foot slipped off of the running board on my Tahoe, left front lower leg just to the left of the shin bone was scraped. Area is the size of a baseball-softball; warm and bruised.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my lap band removed and a hematoma formed near the left side under my incision near my umbilicus.

Comment from: Adnan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had lumps (hematomas) from the blood thinning injection (Flexin 100) in arms and tummy. The most painful one is the one in my tummy. I have G6PD deficiency.

Comment from: Tinker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had two rounds of cortisone injections in my knees. Over some months, both knees became noticeably white, as if bleached. Then some months later, I had "spontaneous" hematomas appear on both knees. They fade and then more appear. One is now on my shin as well. There is no pain.

Comment from: curling gal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Fell on 3 curling stones 4 weeks ago, top leg hit one of the handles on a curling stone and a large hematoma developed. It has gone down in size but worried about a clot moving through the body. It is still quite large and sore.

Comment from: patrick goldston, 55-64 Male Published: May 07

I recently had a bone spur removed from my big toe approximately six months ago. Now I notice my toenail is turning purple and the pain is getting worse.

Comment from: hurts, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had a hematoma following a chemo port removal. It's still there a week later, with a large black and blue area.

Comment from: wynn els, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I had prostatectomy, and a large hematoma developed in my pelvic area, pushing against my bladder and rectum. I had CT scans to monitor it and was told it will take months for my body to absorb this. I was on Lovenox before surgery. I'd like to know if any others have experienced this or a similar situation.

Comment from: Conrad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I got a hematoma on my thigh about a year ago. I was pitched between two trucks. I still have a lump on my leg and it hurts from time to time. The doctor said about six weeks after it happened that it's fatty tissue now and doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm wondering if I should still have a lump on my leg, if it should still hurt, and if it is fatty tissue. Maybe I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: Jade, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have a hematoma on the inside of my left elbow following an operation to remove malignant cells from my upper arm. I had reconstructive surgery, in which they used a flap of tissue and skin from my thigh. It is right in the crease of my arm and is a hard red/purple color with yellow bruising around it. This has gone down in size, leaving just the red solid area. I can't straighten my arm at the moment, as it pulls tightly on the hard area that is the hematoma. I am having physical therapy. I have been told to massage the area and do exercises with my arm. They said will go away and I will have full mobility once again.

Comment from: bbrown, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

My hematoma is located on my front thigh. I recently had hip replacement surgery. The hematoma is deep, and close to the femur bone. My leg aches, but the hematoma does not hurt when I press on it.

Comment from: couldonlyhappentome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I fell over a box of magazines on in October of 2011 and instantly developed massive swelling of the right lateral calf. I went to doctor that day, who saw no fracture and was sent home. One week later, I ended up in the hospital with a severe case of cellulitis of the calf due to the massive swelling. I was in the hospital for five days. The swelling persisted. I had an MRI, which revealed a large hematoma. I had it surgically evacuated in November of 2011. Then, two weeks after surgery, the doctor had to open the incision to allow it to drain. Fluid had collected in the space left by the blood clot. It is still open, and healing very slowly – all due to tripping over a box of magazines.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had hernia surgery eight weeks ago. A hematoma formed and ruptured at the incision site. It has been draining for four weeks now. The site will not heal and I'm wondering if the mesh should be taken out because of the infection.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 09

I fell hard face-down on a gravel road. My brow bone and cheek bone were involved and turned black and blue very fast. It was classified as deep-tissue bruising. It has been going on for three months now and I still have swelling on my cheek bone and have shooting pain. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles. I'm not sure what kind of doctor could treat this.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I fell down the stairs and developed a very large hematoma just below my knee in addition to a lot of bruising of the leg. The treatment for my hematoma consisted of going to physical therapy two times a week for six weeks. They massaged the leg, applied cold/hot compresses and did ultrasound treatments.

Comment from: Scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a cyst removed/drained from my breast. About half an hour later, I felt a terrible pain and discovered a large hematoma had leaked into the lower half of the breast. I am now in more pain than when I had the cyst. The blood is very dark and skin is sensitive and sore. I used ice packs the first day, per the doctor's instructions, but it is still hurting and looks horrible. I'm afraid it will cause more problems if it doesn't go away soon.

Comment from: lucylee, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

My friend had a hernia operation, it turned out that the doctor nipped a blood vessel and it caused a hematoma. She has been in a lot of pain and still is in a lot of pain, and the blood is leaking out of the site. She has been taking warfarin for a long time now, and the doctor has put her on strong antibiotics. The doctor said it could take up to a year before the hematoma any better. My friend is in her seventies and can hardly walk with the pain. She is always crying, can nothing be done to help her.

Comment from: pilgrim30, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am a 79-year-old female. I was on Warfarin and was scheduled for shoulder surgery. I was put on self-injected Lovenox. That started a "bleed" on my belly, resulting in a hematoma. Five injections later, I had a "spontaneous bleed" that resulted in a hematoma on the front of my shoulder. It is two weeks later and both hematomas are with me as is most of the bruising. The bleed "bruised" my torso almost completely on the right side and some of the left. The right arm is almost totally covered with a "bruise." My doctor wants to evacuate the shoulder hematoma and still do surgery.

Comment from: Nzingha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I developed hematoma to the left of my ankle on my right foot. The doc punctured it with a needle and squeezed out most of the blood but since it has dried up I notice that there's still a hardened and raised area which suggests that some is still left there. This is no longer hurting but I don't feel comfortable walking around with this raised area on my foot. I am diabetic and hypertensive and have been taking an aspirin daily. He gave me anti-biotic and painkiller.

Comment from: steve b, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am experiencing a hematoma surrounding one of my testicles. At the moment it is the size of a flattened golf ball. There is not much pain associated with the growth but mostly a feeling of discomfort. I have taken antibiotics but they had no effect. It is a little worrying as I can feel it growing. The other testicle has now been pushed way to the front of the sac. I return to the hospital in 1 week to see a doctor after having a cat scan 2 weeks ago.

Comment from: sissy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am a 61 year old woman who had a face lift 4 weeks ago. I was healing nicely when I happened to pull an internal stitch while yawning days later a hematoma formed on my cheek. I am to ice and massage. I hope it goes down. I look like I have a jawbreaker in my cheek.

Comment from: Worried in WA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I went to have a breast biopsy, and during the procedure the doctor nicked a large blood vessel. It bled into my breast, causing a hematoma that is about the size of a tangerine. The doctor said it might take up to 6 months to heal, then sent me on my way. It is painful, itches, and that breast is noticeably larger because of the swelling. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to go to another doctor. I fell and got a hematoma on my right buttock about 4 years ago, and the pocket of blood never dissipated and is still painful. Insofar as my breast is concerned, I'm worried about infection, as well as future mammograms. I'm afraid I'll always have pain and be lopsided.

Comment from: pleasebethere, 55-64 Female Published: June 08

While having blood drawn in my arm, I experienced a painful stick. Immediately it became almost impossible to use my arm. No improvement over 5 days. Have iced it. Lots of bruising.

Comment from: worried hairdresser, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have a large hematoma due to a falling down a marble step on holiday, it has bruised all over my back and down my leg and down my bottom, the lump is quite large, I have found Arnaka cream and pills to help really well, the bruise is now 9 days on changing to brown and yellow, the lump is still there been passed around from doctor to doctor, and now need to go and see somebody higher to find out if it needs to be drained. I am still a bit worried to how it will be later in life.

Comment from: Want it over!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

April 27 of this year I had a lump removed from my breast (Infected milk duct) which I have never heard of from someone that has never breast feed or had a baby in 20 years! When I went in for my 2 week check up I had another lump which I thought was the same as what was removed, but it was a hematoma so now I go May 25th to have it removed. He said he would open the scar up and go that way. When the nurse called today she said he would just numb it. I really hope that's not all he's going to do. He had better knock me out!

Comment from: Sharone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I received a hematoma on my right cheekbone when I fell on my face in New York a little over a week ago. My right cheekbone is still quite swollen. I went to the hospital and had a CAT scan and nothing is broken.

Comment from: NHEALING, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a large lymphoma removed from my upper thigh and had bleeding after surgery was completed. I am now left with a lump (hematoma) essentially the same size as the removed lymphoma. This lump is 3 1/2" wide by 5" long and protrudes from my leg about 1 1/2".

Comment from: joe k., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I fell down and have a hematoma the size of a football on my thigh. The injury occurred eight weeks ago the dr. has cut it open to drain twice now but the incision closes and the pain and swelling continues. I'm on crutches most of the time because of the pain and swelling make it hard to get about.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband was operated on March 28, 2009 and has since been back to see the renowned surgeon more than once with a stomach Hematoma that has not gone away. Since this very simple hernia procedure my husband of 22 years has not been the same. He is completely different to me and our family, symptoms of Bi-Polar (which he never had). I even had him checked out at a Psychiatry facility and they sent him home the same day.

Comment from: molly, 45-54 Female Published: April 05

I fell going up my front steps and hit my shin just below my knee on my cement stairs. My leg is so black and blue and I have a very big lump just below the knee that hasn't gone away. It has been a week since I fell, and the second day I did have ex-rays done, they said nothing broken. My worry is this hematoma under the knee, should I be concern. My leg still has pain in different places and the bruising has gone down my whole leg, right to my foot.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter