Patient Comments: Hematoma - Diagnosis

How was your hematoma diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: calves41, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My husband fell and bumped the back of his head on a door jamb. Even though he was treated and checked for a concussion, nothing showed up. Four weeks later he had a seizure and was confused and unable to talk. Tests showed he had a subdural hematoma and was hospitalized. He was given platelets to stop the bleeding and remained in the hospital for several days. We are in a wait and see period now and are scheduled for a repeat CT scan and follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon. Wish us luck.

Comment from: kansasgal17, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I was hit by softball while pitching. I thought initially I broke my thigh bone as I had instant trembling, swelling and dimpling. The day after it was so hot, lumpy and painful I was scared of a possible blood clot but the doctor said although it was the biggest hematoma he's ever seen, there's no risk for blood clot unless hit on the inside of the thigh. No x-rays were taken and no treatments suggested. He said it would go away on its own. This picture is on day 3. On day 8 the bruising started to run all the way down my calf. Two years later I still have a huge bulls-eye of spider veins where I was hit.

Comment from: Snowdrops, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

The hematoma on my hand looks just like the one pictured here. It was caused by a particularly vicious rose thorn when gardening. It swelled up rapidly to the size of a small pigeon's egg. Treated with ice this began to subside after 20 minutes. Four days later the entire back of the hand is purple but not painful.

Comment from: Marie, Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I diagnosed the hematoma myself. I am checking with doctor later.

Comment from: Gigi Binoy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

In June there was a swelling associated with bleeding inside the skin on left arm above elbow. It was reddish, painful. Now my middle finger cannot be folded easily.

Comment from: Blue_E46, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

Self diagnosis of a Hematoma below the right knee from a fall. Two days after the injury the lump is still there and about as hard (and larger) than the knee cap. No bruise or pain when walking; only a lump that is slightly painful to the touch. I've been using the RICE method and I eventually expect to see the blood flow down my shin and into my foot, perhaps causing a bruise there before it fully heals.

Comment from: REPETE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Had fractured tibia 2001 the break was mended with an outside fracture /now in 2013 April i fell and had hematoma develop on the site where one of the pins were drilled.it was the size of softball it is still quite large (hard ball size) how long should that take to heal?

Comment from: Dear, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was in a car accident and had head injuries. Until now, I never have been to a medical check-up. I don't know how long the hematoma will last, and was wondering if it is possible that it will be gone without any medication.

Take the Blood Disorders Quiz