Patient Comments: Hematoma - Experience

Please describe your experience with hematoma. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was hospitalized for 5 weeks following a hematoma. What began as a slight scratch ended up with two skin grafts. First one was lost when dressing was changed. Entire procedure began again. I bled for 5 days and had 2 full blood transfusions. I also had my arm wrung out (literally). It now looks like either a shark has had a go at me or I had a flesh eating disease. Thank goodness I have a strong constitution. Wish I could send you the photos. Now my arm is healing but very dark brown. My sporting life has ended.

Comment from: Okra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I take no blood thinners but experience spontaneous hemorrhages of the hands, wrists and eyes. All are preceded by a stinging sensation, swelling and bruising, except for the eyes. These are somewhat painful to the touch but the blood that leaked out disappears within 1 to 2 days. I also have small red dots all over my upper arms and chest that look like injection sites. Some hematomas are small as in leaking capillaries and some are large looking like veins. I have very thin skin and it tears easily and most of the time I do not feel the injury at all. This is baffling and I will mention it to my primary care physician. I have seen a retina specialist about the eye hemorrhages and they seem to resolve themselves with no treatment (so far).

Comment from: LORAINE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

On New Year's Eve I sat off my chair and landed on my paper shredder, the corner of it of course. On my left side at my rib cage is where the hematoma is. It hurts so badly. I also developed a cough, and had to sneeze twice when I had to cough. The doctor prescribed Acetamin and cough medicine with codeine to stop the cough and pain. It hurts, yes!

Comment from: Nascarleone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I fell down concrete steps, with my left shin taking the brunt of the impact. I was impressed after I stopped crying that I didn't seem to break anything and was able to hobble home. Long story short, it ended up with a large hematoma that got infected and burst. Problem was the doctor never said anything about a hematoma and was only concerned with the topical infection that appeared. After my leg continued to get worse, my scrape turned into a large wound that wouldn't heal. Nobody realized that the hematoma got infected and I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. And after surgical debridement I ended up with a 20 cm wound. I've been on a wound Vac for last three weeks with amazing results. Please have yourself checked out if you ever get hit, or hit something hard enough to give yourself a bruise. Much easier to have a doctor look at you like an idiot and send you home with an ice pack instead of missing a huge section of your leg!

Comment from: Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was bitten by a pit bull on the front of my thigh. It was not stitched so it would allow the blood to flush the germs out. I bled for three days. The bruising went from my knee to the upper area of my thigh. The lump that formed under the skin was approximately 4x4 inches. Once the punctures were healed, I used a body massager, hand massage, and the water jets in the hot tub to stimulate and break up the clot. It took just over a year for it to feel normal again.

Comment from: Kathleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Every time I carry a bag on my forearm, bump into a door jamb, or don't know what, I turn up with a dark blue bruise that takes weeks to go away and leaves a brown scar.

Comment from: Dale, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was in an auto accident with my leg hitting the door handle, I have a large hematoma as big as a softball and it is getting bigger each day. Nothing is helping. It is also stinging and burning. I have had it for 2 weeks.

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have a hematoma on my forehead from a fall.

Comment from: Billy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

After a fall from a ladder, both of my upper arms had hematomas on the inside. Left arm was worse with a 2 inch wide by apparently one inch or more deep hematoma that was very painful, with intermittent sharp bee-sting like shooting pains, heat and radiating discoloration up and down the arm. Being on anticoagulants, my doctor prescribed hydrocodone for pain. Hot Epsom salt baths for 1 hour soaks reduce swelling and discoloration around the hematoma, at least temporarily. Restful inactivity also proved beneficial. It had been one week since the fall, and there has been some improvement, but I go back to the doctor tomorrow to see if more aggressive treatment is required.

Comment from: AnnieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a bone graft taken from my left hip used to pack around a broken clavicle late January2014. A grapefruit sized hematoma developed. I have had it drained 3 times but it just keeps re-emerging within hours and is very painful. I may have a drain placed to go home with and see if that helps.

Comment from: Donna, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: February 06

I am a nurse and I haven't experienced any hematoma but I have met and see many patients who have hematoma. Last week, there was one emergency case that we did at the operation theater for the problem of hematoma. She had perineal repair after lacerations from giving birth. What I saw was a very big abscess with bruises and lots of bleeding. The woman was in pain. So what the doctor did was, he removed all the stitches and removed all the blood clots and re stitched again. After one hour the hematoma is getting small and the bleeding is controlled.

Comment from: patimb7, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My mother was bumped as the nurse was removing the wheelchair while helping my mother onto a treatment table in her pain management doctor's office. She was fine while she was horizontal. When they put her back into the wheelchair, her shin literally blew up. The doctor decided to aspirate it by injecting her with a syringe and drawing out the fluid. All that happened was that she began bleeding profusely (the hospital was next door). My mother suffered for seven months until she passed away. The general consensus was that she contracted osteomyelitis, most likely from trying to be aspirated for the hematoma.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had 3 hip surgeries on the same hip within 2 months. Within a week following the second surgery, blood was profusely emitting from the incision site. The third surgery discovered that there had been a hematoma that had ruptured. Femoral head was removed to replace cup liner, checked for infection then flushed with copious amounts of saline. I had seen an acupuncturist the day the incision started bleeding. I wonder if that could that have caused the hematoma to rupture.

Comment from: cjl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was bitten by a dog a week ago (9/9/13) in the right rear thigh and also in the left rear buttock. I have seven puncture wounds to the thigh and four to the left buttock. I was seen in the emergency room at my local hospital and was told I have a very large hematoma on the right rear thigh. It is very painful, and I have a large lump in the center of my thigh. I have bruising from the top of my rear thigh down to my knee and also on my inner right leg. I also have bruising on the left buttock, including the anal area and the genital area on the left side. This has been a very painful experience. I was told by the emergency room physicians and my primary-care physician that it will be four weeks before the bruising is gone. In the meantime, the hematoma is very painful and quite large in size. It is very difficult to sit as I need a pillow to alleviate the pain of sitting down. This was an unprovoked attack by a dog that is primarily used for hunting game, and according to info on the web, it is inappropriate to have as a pet. Hopefully, I will heal and feel better soon.

Comment from: PamelaDeDah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

At the age of four I put my arm in the old wringer washer. The area near my elbow has a huge scar. My mother said it happened after the bruise burst and bled. It"s an interesting scar, it"s raised and looks like a topical photo of a mountain range. The surrounding skin of this mountain range looks stretched and feathered on the edges. Ice was used during the healing.

Comment from: Smitty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 07

While swimming, my head struck the side of the pool. A month later, I started to act funny, finally was rushed to the emergency room and was diagnosed with a hematoma; a blood vessel ruptured and the blood was putting pressure against the brain. They drilled two holes in the right side of my head to relieve the blood pressure, everything has turned out okay.

Comment from: kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I fell down a flight of stairs last night. I injured my elbows and shoulder but the biggest injury is my right thigh with a hematoma the size of a watermelon. I go to my neurologist tomorrow so I figure I will just let her look at it. It does hurt!

Comment from: Hemtoma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a jaw surgery and have a hematoma on both the sides under my chin, one side being worse as they did a sagittal split osteotomy on me and a condylectomy on the right. I was told to massage it.

Comment from: cennydd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I showered and noticed a large subcutaneous hematoma on my left arm after using a shower pad. I know for certain that I didn't bump it the night before. I've also noticed small hematomas on my wrists after putting my hands in my pockets to retrieve my cars keys. I use a wheelchair and reach into those pockets for my keys. My doctor prescribed baby aspirin along with my medication for hypertension several years ago, and I have never had this happen until recently.

Comment from: middleage lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I recently had a 3.5-inch ovarian cyst removed and I developed an unusual pain to the right of my incision. I knew the pain was different than regular postsurgical pain. I initially felt the pain when I was in the recovery room. It was a hematoma. It took about a week to show bruising. A few nights ago, I had very bad cramping in my groin due to blood pooling from the hematoma.

Comment from: lilbit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I recently had a revision of a breast reduction surgery done in August 2011. As a result, I have a hematoma on my left breast that is quite large. I have had it drained twice so far and will have it drained again in a week. The left breast continues to leak. It has been almost 3 weeks since the revision. I hope it subsides soon.

Comment from: Cathy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a baby 7 months ago and am still not menstruating. I'm taking diet pills to lose weight. I have more hematomas in my legs and now I'm very worried.

Comment from: tmh90, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I take Plavix and aspirin after having three stents placed in my heart four years ago. I get hematomas from time to time, and bruise easily. Last night I fell during a strenuous activity and landed so that my left side under my arm struck a hard surface. There result is an orange sized hematoma.

Comment from: CHELL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Four days ago I was in a rollover accident and developed a hematoma on my left forearm. It is still growing and getting harder. It's all different colors and is painful to touch. I am planning on following up with my doctor if it doesn't show improvement within a week,

Comment from: Mary-Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was crushed at my workplace during an earthquake and had to be dug out. I suffered a crushed pelvis, broken ribs, and lots of other serious injuries. I had a hematoma on my back that was 16 cm by 4 cm deep, but no action was taken. Now, two years later, I have a sausage-like swelling across my back that is still painful.

Comment from: pauletteloudermilk, Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a car accident and now have a large hematoma on my left thigh. I am overweight with thick legs. I am also diabetic. It seems to be getting bigger and harder and I'm very concerned due to my health issues.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter