Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: perfectblueskies, (Patient) Published: December 27

I just have been healed of Helicobacter pylori naturally. I couldn't handle antibiotics on such a sick stomach, doctors didn't provide alternatives, so I did a ton of research and was successful! So here is my regimen: DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract) tablets before meals, and 750 mg of Mastic gum in the morning and evening (a capsule and a half; and I hate swallowing pills so I just poured the powder into applesauce). The Mastic gum is what really made me bounce back and feel somewhat normal again. This is the real powerhouse that rids the body of bacteria. It didn't hurt my stomach either! Kefir (I bought mine from Walmart, tried to have it once a day. Do not mix with Mastic gum, as the dairy could conflict). I tried to consume a spoonful of coconut oil daily as well, to kill off bacteria. For food, I limited carbs and sugar to as little as possible. This starves the bacteria. I ate proteins and vegetables. Good luck to you!

Comment from: Rufus 1971, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was tested for Helicobacter pylori 4 months ago having had symptoms for a year. I was treated by my doctor with the same medications as you guys. I was in so much pain I decided to look into herbal remedies and came across manuka honey treatment for H. pylori. I have been using a teaspoon in hot water for the past week and have found great relief. I cannot believe it; no more omeprazole. I was taking 60 mg a day. Please read up on this and I hope you get the results I have.

Comment from: Pegontheroad, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

This is driving me crazy, I have been diagnosed and treated for Helicobacter pylori for 4 times in the last 10 months. The first three times I took the Prevpac treatment for 14 days. The fourth time, a physician's assistant (PA) in my primary care doctor's office prescribed 2 ciprofloxacin for 10 days. That didn't seem to work, and since I had an appointment with my gastroenterologist's PA, I talked to her about it. She gave me a 10 day supply of Pylera, which I finished 3 days ago. I don't think it did the job, as my stomach feels bloated again, which is always the signal for me that I still have H. pylori. I'm going to wait for another week to see my primary care doctor and ask for a referral to a different gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Natural health, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have Helicobacter pylori. I was very sick off and on for years. Because I am very healthy and haven"t used antibiotics in years I am taking them. But I am a natural health practitioner and will be also using probiotics, mastic gum and allied natural health tablets made from concentrated allicin found in garlic. DGL (natural licorice) and enzymes.

Comment from: Jodi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I started having colonoscopies about 7 years ago, due to a family history of bowel cancer. I've never graduated past the 2 year event! Then it was decided I should have routine endoscopies as well. In August of 2013 I was diagnosed with the rarest form of helicobacter pylori. No one knew what to do with me, so they treated me for helicobacter pylori. So I started with the HP-Pac. I went back for another endoscopy. Before my results, I started bleeding when trying to have a bowel movement and ended up in emergency. Two days later I had an emergency surgery. One, I have a prolapsed bowel, and now diagnosed positive with helicobacter pylori. So now I'm taking tetracycline, metronidazole, Teva-Rabeprazole and Pepto-Bismol! I never had any symptoms… sure do now! I'm so much more bloated since I've started my second treatment. My back hurts, I'm so very tired, and just plumb feeling so not attractive! I have an appointment in June for the breath test. Wow, it was great to read all of your stories. I'm not alone! Take care all!

Comment from: All Over Pain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have been diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori after what seems like years of getting tested and emergency room trips. At first, I thought I was having a heart attack because of the severe chest pain, pain in my back and in my ribs. I was eventually sent over to a specialist after several doctor visits and complaining of the same symptoms without her doing anything. The results came back fine for my heart except for a few skipped beats. Of course then I started thinking lung cancer or gastric cancer. Eventually after months and months of progressing symptoms and several trips to my doctor who kept sweeping my problems under the rug, she finally sent me to the gastroenterologist. Even they kept brushing off my symptoms saying it was just GERD and sent me off with omeprazole, which almost did nothing for the pain. I've since recently started to develop problems swallowing as well as persistent back and chest pain. I was finally tested for H. pylori and started two antibiotics with omeprazole. The side effects of these antibiotics have kicked me to the ground. The pain has increased, the nausea is horrible, dizziness and migraines have overcome me. It's now a week into treatment and I'm still having sharp back pain in the center of my back and slight problems swallowing, where food gets stuck right at the opening of my throat. I'm getting really bad anxiety and fear of having gastric cancer because of how long the H. pylori has gone untreated.

Comment from: jawad, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

Honey with pomegranate peel grinded is the best treatment for Helicobacter Pylori.

Comment from: roxyK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori back in November. I took two round of antibiotics to kill it. After the second time I have never felt the same. I still have upper stomach pain and acid in my esophagus. I am on probiotics and an antacid pill called Dexilant. Wondering if this will ever get better and what I need to do. Or if I am just left with gastritis! I am at my end. I have been to gastrointestinal doctors, naturopaths, integrated medicine, etc. I wonder if I am just left with this because of what my stomach went through.

Comment from: Marcita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am looking for manuka honey for Helicobacter pylori.

Comment from: socatlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had terrible pain in August 2008 and they did not know what was causing the pain in my stomach. Then from September to October I lost 25 pounds without trying to do so. Finally, went to see a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy, biopsies showed helicobacter pylori infection. Two weeks treatment of two strong antibiotics plus the Prilosec, they call it dose pack, cured it then. I stopped losing weight and stopped having pain. There is help out there, go to a gastroenterologist, they know about this particular bacteria and how to treat it. I recently was diagnosed again in November, same treatment, but now they have a breath test to make sure that it has been cleared up. If you don't get it treated you may suffer in pain, and eventually it could lead to the development of ulcers in your stomach. This bacteria causes ulcers, which was discovered by some doctor in Australia in the 1990's I think, not stress.

Comment from: mimisayhi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I got sick in late November 2013 and started losing weight (30 lbs so far without trying). I went to my family doctor who sent me home with "stomach virus, you'll be better in a few days." I was so sick over Christmas with the stomach problems and New Year's too. I went to an Urgency Center where they did blood test and said it was positive for helicobacter pylori. They put me on a regimen of antibiotics, started with amoxicillin and rabeprazole DR 20 mg for 5 days then started clarithromycin for 5 days with this other awful drug called tinidazole, which sent me to the emergency room. The symptoms and side effects I'm having are shakiness, stomach pain and nausea, weakness, terrible gas and belching, depression and anxiety to the maximum. Every trip to the emergency room and doctors they have taken numerous blood tests, done an EKG, CT scan, endoscopy… all normal except the one blood test for H pylori which was positive. I don't think the medical profession understands this condition at all; they need to hospitalize patients going through the treatments of numerous drugs that get you so sick on top of being sick already. I'm so frustrated, angry, depressed and anxious, and beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.

Comment from: SurprisedAtHPylori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was having numerous symptoms that started back in 1998. I was diagnosed with depression, hypertension, Bell's palsy, allergies, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anything that related to the individual symptom. I even had an embarrassing odor not from the vagina but the anus. I was treated for vaginitis. I had my gallbladder removed because it died. I had my ovaries removed because they were full of cysts. I was always bloated. My back hurt. My eyes itched. My face was splotchy. My primary physician decided to order an endoscopy as a part of my annual exam. Helicobacter pylori was found. I began a simple course of amoxcillin and omeprazole while she consulted the gastroenterologist. Now I am on metronidazole, doxycycline, omeprazole and bismuth for 14 days. Within 24 hours of beginning my treatment my symptoms began to reduce. My back does not hurt, my eyes have stopped itching, my face is clearing up and my bloating is subsiding, the curious odor has disappeared and life is wonderful. I look forward to hearing that the bad germs are gone from my body.

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had H. pylori in 2005 probably for 10 years undiagnosed. Got a positive in 2005 and immediately went on mastic gum. I got an all clear blood test after 3 months on the mastic. I took it with probiotics and enzymes. I have continued to improve my health through these years but have had to put certain foods aside that I can no longer tolerate. The detox with mastic was hard the first week due to the die off from the parasite. But taking a 20 minute bath got me back to sleep in the middle of the night, took the pain away and really helped me through it. I used raw thyme powder to help. A quarter teaspoon with meals instantly relieved pain from the infected ulcer in my gut. Keeping my body alkaline has helped. I watched my father die of this disease and my older brother harbors it. Antibiotics is a dangerous game of hide and seek.

Comment from: Blank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had severe pain in my stomach that started in 2008 at the end of August. I saw a doctor, who performed a CT scan, which was normal. Then my OB/GYN said everything was normal. Then I finally realized I had to see a gastroenterologist. I had an endoscopy, which revealed inflammation of my stomach lining. Biopsies came back positive for H. pylori. This was the end of October. There is nothing more frustrating than having a pain in your stomach and not knowing what was causing it! Oh, and also, I lost 25 pounds in a month without dieting. I felt worse at night; the pain would really hit me hard at night. I felt nausea in the morning so I didn't eat till lunch. I never actually had nausea, just felt like it. Two weeks of Prevpac, two strong antibiotics, and something like Prilosec cured me. Then I had a major yeast infection -- first one I ever had -- but I had to get rid of the H. pylori. The yeast after the antibiotics was a side effect I had to tolerate and treat as well. My gastroenterologist says I will always have it in my blood work; it will show positive even though I don't have the infection anymore. If I suspect an infection at any future date, I should get a stool sample. The loss of 25 pounds was nice, but it was a very painful way to get there. I also had a low-grade fever of 99 degrees give or take and felt very week at times. Sometimes food helped, sometimes it didn't. The symptoms were hard to describe other than pain. The doctor said if it would have gone untreated I would have developed an ulcer. H. pylori is the bacterium that causes ulcers.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have just been diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori myself. The first time it all started I had it in my mind it was some kind of parasite, but had no idea how I could have got them. After going to the emergency room (ER), urgent care, family doctor, and several other hospitals, I finally went to the right doctor and he found my problem. I am just thankful he found it so it can be treated now. I went to a dermatologist and they ruled out parasites. I started feeling extremely tired, had lesions that came on my arms, legs and caused itching so severe, and my facial skin tone changed to where it looked like something was under my skin on my face. I even have white spirals under my skin that I still yet need to ask my doctor when I go back to see him the 6th of Nov, if this is what is causing my skin to change. I was given 2 types antibiotics and Prevacid also, and I seem to be getting more energy back and feeling much better. This can truly make a person feel like they are dying. My stomach hurt so badly but I stayed constipated all the time. I felt like I wanted to vomit almost every single day for the last 2 years. Up until a week ago I went to a gastroenterologist who he did an endoscopy and colonoscopy and found the H. pylori. It showed my stomach photos and were pure yellow. I was devastated as to what this bacteria was, so here I am still trying to find out how dangerous it can be, and what do to cure it. I read it can cause ulcers and 10 percent that have this can turn into cancer. I still want to do a lot of research and this site has really helped me more than any other I have seen so far. Good luck to all you that have this and I hope we all can be cured from this bacteria.

Comment from: Theresa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My sister who is 67 years old was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori. Getting a diagnosis has not been easy. She suffered from symptoms for years and six months ago she decided to change her attending physicians. Her symptoms first were very deceiving. Symptoms which were taken for normal heartburn, upset stomach, and diarrhea. As time passed the symptoms became worse. She lost the ability to eat normally. I even suspected she might have had an eating disorder. I am relieved to finally have a diagnosis and hope she is on a road of recovery. She was prescribed 2 antibiotics along with omeprazole. A word of advice. If you suffer of above symptoms, please do yourself a favor and get tested for the pylori bacteria.

Comment from: Breezy28, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have recently been diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori bacteria, and it's awful. The pain under my ribs is sometimes unbearable and I can't eat anything or keep any medicine down without puking it all right back up. The doctors I've been to don't seem too concerned, and it's starting to really bother me; I'm in pain. I'm sick, and it feels like no doctor cares. I'm on the antibiotics and the acid reducer, but nothing. They scheduled me to have an endoscopy in December! It's June, I'm sick now... I can't stay like this until December. Just ridiculous. I need help, advice. Anything.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a breath test for H pylori. After using HP-Pac for one week, breath test was negative, no signs of H pylori but pain got worse after 2 weeks. I had endoscopy and they found out the bacteria got stronger than before. So never trust the breath test.

Comment from: Hurting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

If you are not opposed to marijuana, it will help take the pain away, it also helps to pass whatever is in the bowel immediately. It is the only thing I have found to get through the day. Medications have never helped. I have recurring H.Pylori. After my C-section, mass amounts of antibiotics, I was great for 10 months and then it set in again. I'm not trying to promote marijuana, but it does help take the pain away immediately. I am going to try that Gum herb you spoke of to see how that works, because the marijuana doesn't get rid of the H.Pylori.

Comment from: Mooncancer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I just started my treatment for Helicobacter pylori. I am on 3000 mg of antibiotic and two types of antacids. The pain is still there but what if the infection does not go away!

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had helicobacter pylori four years ago and didn"t finish the antibiotics as I was so ill. I now have it again but have to send for test away to confirm.

Comment from: Lilminks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I took Keflex for 30 days, which seemed to have resolved the problem, and then it came back again. I took another 30 days of Keflex and I have not had any problems for almost nine years now. However, I am currently dealing with functional dyspepsia; I have hypothyroidism, and chronic pain syndrome. Next, I will be tested for gastric emptying. I was being tested for colon polyps when diagnosed with the functional dyspepsia.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

My treatment was Clarithromycin 500mg, Omeprazole 20mg, Metronidazole Tabs 400mg, Antacid mixture 100ml, and Fortan-p.

Comment from: Tim, (Caregiver) Published: September 24

Dr. Frank Tovey has shown that diets do influence the pathogenicity of H pylori. While working as a general surgeon at Holsdworth Hospital in India he observed that persons eating a staple diet of village ground millet had few ulcers while those eating rice and wheat flour had many. Subsequent research has shown extracts from these grains protect against NSAID induced ulcers and even promoted healing. His work has largely been ignored but it shows great hope in reducing the reliance on antibiotics.

Comment from: sunnygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had this problem in 2009, after have a perforated ucler. Afterwards I took the strong medication for the H. Pylori. It got me all sick, and messed up my nervous system. Now my doctor is telling me I might have it again. I'm nervous about it. I just don't want to take all those drugs again.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My Helicobacter Pylori was treated with metronidazole 500 mg, clarithromycin 500 mg, pantoprazole 40 mg, metronidazole 500 mg, and amlodipine besylate 10 mg. I still have problems with my stomach at least once a month and the pain is unbearable. What else can be done to stop the recurrence so often?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

The antibiotics prescribed to me only worked temporary so I looked for a natural cure and came across an herb that totally eradicated the bacteria in days, after suffering from h pylori for almost a year. The herb is called mastic gum it is a resin from a tree and has been used for stomach problems for years. It works by getting through the stomach layer to the bacteria which is imbedded and hard eradicate by antibiotics. Then I followed up with probiotics. I have never had any more stomach problems since.

Comment from: bluemary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was treated for Helicobacter Pylori with strong antibiotics and broke out with hives so bad that I couldn't sleep. I am going to try some natural products and wondered if any one has done this and was it successful.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter