Patient Comments: Helicobacter Pylori - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: newbeginnings2017, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori after having endoscopy for weight loss surgery, I never had any symptoms. I went into different forums and must admit I was nervous about this 10 day medication. I took the medication in 5/2017. My first day I felt a little funny, the only side effects that I had were slight headaches, and that nasty taste of metal in my mouth. A lot of the reviews said not to eat yogurt, I ate lots of yogurt for the probiotics, and I also purchased for myself some probiotics in pill form and took 2 times a day. I was also very conscious about always washing my hands. I just took the breath test last week and I am negative. One other important thing I did was, after the treatment I threw away my toothbrush and got a new one. Just think if we are eradicating all the bad bacteria we need to replace it with good bacteria. Good luck everyone, I hear lots of horror stories and a few people have had to treat at least 3 times.

Comment from: nomorehp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was having problems with nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain for months. I was losing a great deal of weight. I went to the doctor, and because of a family history of colon cancer, he ordered a colonoscopy. Right before that procedure, I ended up in the emergency room. I felt I should cancel the colonoscopy, so I called the office. The office suggested I see the physician's assistant to get advice on how to best prepare for my colonoscopy since I was so sick. During that visit, she decided I also needed an endoscopy. I'm so glad she ordered that test! What turned out to be wrong was 2 peptic ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori. I just had a follow-up endoscopy. The ulcers are gone, but the H. pylori is still there. I hope a new round of antibiotics will get rid of this. It's been making me really sick for a long time. I would love to be well again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had been going to different doctors for two and a half years when 4 weeks ago on Sunday I got really sick. I've had bad indigestion for two years and gained some weight but I started having back pain on right side under my rib. First the doctor sent me for ultrasound for gallbladder and then I found myself one Saturday in hospital. All day it hurt in the right side under rib so bad I barely could stand it. They sent me home and wanted to give me pain killers. I refused them as them as it is just masking the root of the problem. I thought my total symptoms were first indigestion. It was so bad even at night being awakened from it, then back pain under the rib; if you move wrong it was so bad. Then my energy level would just drop so sudden like I had worked nonstop for a week. Horrible feelings came in my stomach just this last two weeks. I am waiting to hear from my gastroenterologist to get back results from endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was called yesterday and told this is Helicobacter pylori. The medicines I'll be taking for H. pylori are amoxicillin Flagyl, and omeprazole.

Comment from: RG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The diagnosis of my helicobacter pylori was established when I had endoscopy to address reflux symptoms.

Comment from: Bri M., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

In 2011 I had a severe stomach flu that I felt like I could never shake. I consulted my doctor who told me to take antacids before meals to help with the stomach pains. My symptoms were everything from extremely suppressed appetite to vomiting if I ate simple things like ice cream. I went back to the doctor about 7 months later and 50 pounds lighter, I am not exaggerating with the weight loss. They finally took a blood test and found that I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. My doctor told me that it cannot be contracted through food but after I had that stomach flu I was just never the same. I went through the 10 days of antibiotics, which made my mouth taste like metal. My mom would also say that in the morning my room smelled like metal during that period. The last 2 days of the medicine was the hardest, I was very nauseous. Once I was done with the antibiotics I took the breath test which came back that I had fought it off even though I hear it will always be in my system. Four years later I am better but still not the same.

Comment from: free2yehaa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

After multiple trips to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack for shortness of breath, tremors and fatigue, I tried Jarrow mastic gum. It kills Helicobacter pylori. It's some type of bark that grows on trees in Greece and can be ordered online through All Star Health. I am thankful I found this stuff. Prescribed antibiotics make H. pylori worse.

Comment from: QTINMEMPHIS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I finally went to a gastroenterologist and was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori bacteria.

Comment from: MD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori in March this year after an acute infection. I took the antibiotics and did another breath test a couple of months later which said the H. pylori was gone. Six months later I am still burping after everything I eat and drink, but the burning pain I was experiencing has gone. My doctor said that I should be better by now. I am booked in for an endoscopy in a few weeks. Feeling frustrated!

Comment from: FAWAD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I did my blood CP test recently, and found out that I was positive for Helicobacter pylori. My doctor said H. pylori is positive because there's some problem in my stomach and there was bloating and swelling, which can be healed if medication is taken regularly. For the past 11 months my whole body keeps swelling and bloating and if I rub that part of my skin where it bloats/swells, it starts to increase more and more and after 1 or 2 days that part is healed and some other part of skin starts to swell and that's happening to me for the last 11 months. I went to a lot of doctors and some doctors said to avoid eating fish, chicken, meat, and egg, and avoid dust and wear mask on my face.

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was diagnosed last week with helicobacter pylori; I've been having issues since March 2014. I had a colonoscopy which was good. I had an ultra sound of my stomach and a HIDA scan of gall bladder in which the number was 21. I'm not sure what the number meant but they want it between 40 and 60. I had gall bladder taken out in May 2014 and was still having bloating, so I had an EGD done. I have a hiatal hernia and they took a biopsy to find the cause of inflammation and I was diagnosed with H. pylori. So I'm taking metronidazole 500 mg, clarithromycin 500 mg and Protonix 40 mg, and am scheduled for another EGD in August 1st. I get this pain under the left breast like gas that lasts for about 4 seconds and goes away; not sure what that is from, but we will see if it's gone by August.

Comment from: GenieB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have two siblings that were diagnosed with stomach cancer in their 50s. One sibling died in August 2013. I had been having a few issues with bloating, stomach pain and real bad indigestion that was getting progressively worse over the last year. I talked to my primary physician assistant in my physician's office about my two siblings and she suggested to me as did my gynecologist, to be tested. My physician assistant referred me to a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy. The results were that I had an inflamed stomach lining and helicobacter pylori. I was on the triple therapy (amoxicillin, Flagyl and omeprazole) for 2 weeks. The H. pylori was eradicated after a subsequent urea breath test was administered.

Comment from: Charlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was rushed to hospital with extremely low blood count and little iron in my system. I was given 2 units of blood and one of iron. I had colonoscopy of upper gastro intestinal tract with camera capsule. They all showed some places that were probably slow bleeders. Then they found the Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had gotten so week so slowly that it seemed to have crept up on me. I took the round of antibiotics.

Comment from: sbernardo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I went through several weeks of horrible, deep chest pains and not being able to keep any food down. I did several blood tests, and upper GI (gastro-intestinal) x-ray scan, and an ultrasound. I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. I am now on treatment. I have Prilosec, 2000mg daily of amoxcillin, and 500mg daily of clarithromycin. I am having awful side effects from the clarithromycin ranging from severe headaches, to nightmares, to diarrhea. I hope against hope that this will all be worth it and that the bacteria will be gone when I test for it after my treatment is over. This is very hard to live with on a day to day basis and has been affecting my daily life greatly.

Comment from: luciano, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was at the doctors to today to get results of a biopsy. Well, I have Helicobacter pylori. I was misdiagnosed for almost 5 years now. I am wondering if anyone was told to stay away from anything containing gluten. My doctor says I should stay away from all gluten, fast food, and restaurants. I have never eaten gluten free though it is better for you. Most days I get about 3 hours sleep and can barely get up because of the burning and pain. Doctor gave me pain medicines but I hate taking them because of side effects. I hope we all get better soon.

Comment from: bdgiroir, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My mom has been suffering for months. She was burping a lot, having burning in lower chest so much she felt like her body was on fire. We took her to the hospital twice, second time she was admitted. While in the hospital she was found with slug and stones in her gall bladder. The day before surgery she was told she also had helicobacter pylori. After being released from the hospital she was given 3 antibiotics and Protonix for 10 days. After a month later she still has the same symptoms and was given the breath test. She still has the bacteria and will start on 2 more antibiotics and Protonix for 14 days. This has been the worst 5 month of our lives. I hope this second round clears this bacteria up and all who are battling this will also be healed. I had this, my husband had this and I'm going to be retested to make sure it's not back.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My blood test indicated borderline anemia. My doctor ordered an upper gastrointestinal scan and helicobacter pylori was detected.

Comment from: sick_graduate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My way of finding out I had H. Pylori is kind of strange. First of all, my boyfriend had stomach problems while we were in college, and I took him to the ER twice, but no tests were ever done on him. He just dealt with the excessive bloating and discomfort. About a year later, I had feelings of discomfort in my stomachs that were unusual, but I too ignored them. Then, I started having really bad back problems, which I have been fighting for a few years; I was going from doctor to doctor to fix my back. I decided to go to a new chiropractor this summer, and while he was popping my back, he noticed a tight spot on the middle left side of my back. He said something was going on with my digestive system, so he gave me a stool test to check for all kinds of parasites. Well, my test came back positive for H. Pylori (it's abundant too, so I have it really bad). I start the treatment in 2 days; if eradicating this infection gets rid of my stomach and back problems I will be the most excited person in the world. My boyfriend gets tested this weekend, and I'm pretty sure he has it too, so hopefully we will both be cured soon. Here's some advice though for any college student: beware of moldy kegs and tainted water (this is for the city of Macomb, Il where they had boil orders every week (not even exaggerating).

Comment from: hus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

The first time I had a severe stomach pain was three years ago on holidays. It started with uncomfortable stomach, gradually increasing overnight to squeezing, gnawing and unbearable pain in the stomach as if I had solid rocks in there. It followed with severe and frequent vomiting. I was unable to take any thing as it would come out. I could not sleep the whole night and the next day a local doctor gave me some pain killers which relieved me at that time. Then there was a quiet period of little over a year when this whole situation repeated itself in the same fashion when we were away on holidays again. Third time it came back within six months and as usual lasted only for one night. Then it came back one night, six months ago, with more severity and pain. Had to go to emergency, but no one would know what was it. I was prescribed for gastroscopy which came out with positive results of Helicobacter Pylori. Eradication therapy started and the result was still positive. Given another eradication treatment and had my urea breath test. In the meantime that dreadful pain came back again not with that severity, but it is quite evident, H. Pylori is still there. Do not know as I failed eradication treatment twice, what will be my fate?

Comment from: Nede, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was hospitalized two consecutive Sundays. I've gone through some lab tests, but all the results are negative. Everyone says that is only hypertension, even my doctors. I decided to go to the hospital again to undergo an ultrasound, but the doctor said it is better to get a blood sample for H-Pylori. After an hour, I got the result and it was positive. So the doctor gave me three kinds of antibiotics: amoxicillin, clarithromycin and omeprazole. I'm still taking my medicine. I hope and pray that after a month my H-Pylori will be negative.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

One day I woke up earlier than normal with a gnawing pain in my stomach. I started to vomit that morning and then didn't stop until that night. The next day I was fine I ate and then I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning that gnawing pain was back. I was vomiting the whole day I couldn't hold down water or food, so I went to the emergency room and after many tests they admitted me into the hospital, but still did not know what was wrong. I was on I.V.s for seven days I vomited non stop almost through out those seven days and then got sent to a specialist and they finally found out that it was h-pylori. But my father also has it and he found out because he was having horrible chest pain's he said that it felt like a heart attack our doctor's told us it was hereditary but I have also been told that it's not. A cousin of mine has it too however. If you are having the chest pains there is a medicine that may help you it's called a G.I. cocktail, or gastrointestinal cocktail it's liquid and my father says it helps dramatically with the chest pains.

Published: July 30

I suffer for 3 long months with stomach pain. Went to my doctor several times, but my symptoms kept getting worse until finally I asked him to have an endoscopy done on me. I lost tons of weights because I couldn't keep any food in my stomach. With the biopsy they found out that I had the bacteria. I was on antibiotics for 14 days taking about 3 thousand milligrams a day. It was terrible. I guess my infection was way too big. I still suffer some stomach pain, but I'm not sure if it is related to the bacteria. I think the bacteria still there

Published: July 30

I just took a blood test for this. I never heard of it until yesterday. I was originally on medicine for indigestion. Last week this indigestion got bad to the point nothing helped anymore. So my doctor did a blood test yesterday. I've been excessively burping, feeling like I have indigestion, severe headaches, sometimes some pain or discomfort in my chest, and pain in my stomach usually after eating. After I eat I burp a few times then vomit a tiny bit. I don't know if I have it yet, but I just read that it's contagious. So my husband and kids probably have it as well. Does anyone know if it is contagious or how it's passed?

Comment from: grateful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have been struggling with my weight for years now and just a week ago I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori. I was given antibiotics for 14 days and I just started them today.

Comment from: Jones, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 19

My son was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori, so his doctor suggested our entire family be tested. I also tested positive for H. pylori and also am taking the 3 antibiotics.

Comment from: Jellybean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have just been diagnosed today and the last year and a half whenever I drink alcohol the next day I am violently ill. I am vomiting uncontrollably with hot flushes and headaches.

Comment from: jamie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori from my yearly blood work, I had no symptoms. I am currently on medication.

Comment from: helen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

For few mornings, I was waking up with stomachache, which lasted for few minutes. The pain felt like stomach spasms/contractions. During the day, I also felt pain and only reduced with drinking herbal tea or eating something light. I visited my doctor, and she gave me the breath test, which was positive for h. pylori.

Comment from: julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Ive had pain for a long time it been almost a year.. Ive gone to the e.r. 12 times already becouse of the paine and my cheast hurting and beating really fast had test done and no one could tell me what was wronge and there was a couple of time the said nothing like it in my head no no I know that there was something wronge with me I went to my the reg. dr.I told her that there something needs to be done im over 30 but still younger and there is no need for me to be feeling like this and she said that he was going to do some blood work and ultra sound.. well just found out today that ultra sound came out good but my blood work didnt came out pos. for h pylori have dr. app. tomorrow to get the meds that i need to be on im a little scared but i hope that they can cure his so I can feel good again..

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

H.Pylori was found by blood test after I presented with ulcer type symptoms. It was confirmed by endoscopic biopsy and I started on eradication therapy.

Comment from: cwgrlk8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had severe pain in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen for more than seven months, which warranted multiple doctor visits and several visits to the emergency room. Finally, I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopic examination. There was wide evidence of a severe H. Pyloric infection. It appeared as white patches.

Comment from: RosaD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was suffering off and on for several years with stomach pains. Then it got worse, and I couldn't eat anything at all, and even drinking fluids was getting to be a problem. Every time I went to a doctor or emergency room, they would say I have a gall bladder problem, give me some pills and send me on my way. Tired of all that and not getting better, I went to a clinic run by a nurse practitioner. I described all my symptoms to her and she said she thought she knew what it was. She drew a blood sample from me and told me when to come back. Imagine my surprise when she said it was H. Pylori. I have never even heard of that before. But I was happy that finally someone knew what was wrong with me. She prescribed the treatment for me and I can tell you that within three days of starting treatment, I felt 100% better. I finished the full course of medicine and have never been bothered by it again. My adult son is in the hospital with stomach pains, and I told him to get checked for the bacteria because he exhibits all the same symptoms that I had.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was suffering for six months with stomach pain and aches. I had diarrhea just about everyday maybe more. I had heart burn, especially when I would lie down. My stomach always seemed swollen and inflamed. I also had these random hiccups, usually one every hour. I got a blood test and my doctor said it was borderline high for h pylori. She ordered another blood test and I guess it was high so she decided to treat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had really bad stomach pains. I was admitted to the hospital with suspected appendicitis. Numerous tests were done including lung scans and a heart ECG as I was having trouble breathing and chest pains. When I was allowed back home, I went back to see my general doctor who suggested a blood test to look for the H-Pylori bug. It was detected, and I was given a course of antibiotics: amoxicillin, and clarithromycin. After taking these for a week, I had another blood test done. This showed that the H-Pylori bug was still there. My doctor said that as antibiotics had not gotten rid of it, there was nothing more that could be done. It would remain there and could flare up at any time.

Published: July 16

For months & months, I had chronic constipation associated with severe pain, headaches, trouble swallowing, stomach pain or ache. I did not have heartburn, indigestion, or ulcers. Symptoms then progressed to experiencing feeling full after a few bites of food, excessive burping, nausea and actually getting sick almost daily for about 3 - 4 hours late evening, in the middle of the night, and sometimes during the day. Odd, I also could feel or taste a "musty, stale like ice cube/water feeling in my throat. It did not matter what I ate or drank. I finally asked my doctor for a colonoscopy and after the interview she thought I needed the endoscopy too. That found it.

Published: July 09

I went for an allergic test and I was told I had pylori bacteria. I suffer from constant heartburns and severe chronic back pain. Are these symptoms related to the bacteria?

Published: June 24

It was diagnosed by blood test. I felt a lot of pain in my chest and through my back. I felt it more at night than during the day, however when I had the pain it night I would still feel the pain in my back and chest during the day, but for sure not like I would at night. I took Tums and Tylenol for discomfort which seemed to help some. I am now stilling my treatment of 3 antibiotics.

Published: June 18

Through EIA IgG antibody testing.

Comment from: Ivan Bellard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a pain in my stomach for several months but it was not frequently. Then I decided to see a doctor and he performed an endoscopy on me and found that I had H. Pylori by a biopsy. I'm still on medication of three kind of antibiotic such as amoxicillin, omeprazole and clarithromycin. I'm on my way to finish it and hope it will be eradicated.

Comment from: mamaturtled2005, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an endoscopic and colonoscopy procedure. Found out I have Helicobacter Pylori. Have to wait 3 weeks to see a doctor. I find this a little disturbing. I also picked up my reports and pictures of procedures, due to the fact he will not have them there when I see him.

Published: October 15

Has there been any research done to determine if H Pylori is hereditary? My boy's father has had several bouts with H Pylori, the most recent having half of his stomach removed, and I would like to know if I should be taking extra special precautions with his two teenage sons.

Comment from: stiti sofiane, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My cousin's been hospitalized for stomachic problems: he couldn't keep food or water because he vomited everything he swallowed. He has done some tests (scanner, fiberscopy and biopsy) that reveal the presence of H. bacter in the inner lining of his stomach with atrophic chronic gastritis and bowl metaplasia. Now he's waiting for the doctor to fix the date of the operation (stomach excision).

Comment from: amanda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm just out of the hospital too I was in for 5 nights and suffered for the past two years with really bad hiccups, burping being sick at least once a week and an odd sore stomach until ten days ago when I could not stop being sick and the pain was unbearable I thought someone was stabbing me, I got a lot of tests done and it showed nothing. I got the camera down my throat and again nothing it was not until the 4th blood test till they realized that I had h. pylori. I'm now on triple therapy and feel great for the first time in ages!

Published: July 11

I have to take blood tests every three months for liver disease, and my doctor found out I have helicobacter pylori. I had never heard of it until he told me about it. Now this doctor and my liver specialist will have to decide what kind of treatment they will put me on.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter