Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach, and also is the most common cause of ulcers worldwide. About 50% of people in the world carries or is infected with H. pylori. Common symptoms of H. pylori infection are occasional abdominal discomfort, bloating, belching or burping, and nausea and vomiting. H. pylori infection is difficult to erdicate, and treatment is with two or more antibiotics. Read more: H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
Fight cold and flu with foods that boost and improve your immune system. Reach for bright-colored antioxidant and vitamin-rich...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Gastritis Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Cure
Gastritis (acute and chronic) is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach Some people have no gastritis symptoms, but when...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Rectal Bleeding (Blood in Stool, Hematochezia)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Bad Breath
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) Infection
Medications & Supplements
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- pantoprazole (Protonix)
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, and others)
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Metronidazole vs. Vancomycin
Prevention & Wellness
- Many Paramedics Ignore Hand Hygiene Rules, Study Finds
- Space Travel Won't Turn Germs Into Superbugs
- Health Tip: What Triggers Peptic Ulcers?
- Bug Behind Stomach Cancer Also Linked to Colon Cancer
- Ulcer Bacteria Tied to Lower Multiple Sclerosis Risk in Women
- Could the 'Ulcer Bug' Guard Against Obesity?
- Infection Causes 1 in 6 Cancers Worldwide: Study
- Children Now Eligible for Screening Test for Bacterium
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter