Patient Comments: Heat Stroke - Treatment

Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sgt. Stacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

In February/March 1990, at age 23, I suffered heat stroke while in Honduras working in construction. I became so ill after my work shift and supper, with extreme headache, nausea, and muscle cramps that the only way to keep from vomiting was to lay still in my cot, hoping I'd feel better if I just 'rested'. After 3 plus hours, a coworker stopped by my tent, and I began to vomit violently as soon as I sat up! He had to help me to the medical tent, where I was immediately put on 2 IVs, one in each arm, until I looked and felt like a puffer fish! I was required to be on light duty for the remaining 2 weeks of the trip and have had significant heat intolerance in the 25 years ever since, despite being raised in the desert.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter