Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not promptly and properly treated. Symptoms of heat stroke include high body temperature, absence of sweating, hot red or flushed dry skin, rapid pulse, difficulty breathing, strange behavior, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, disorientation, seizure, and coma. A victim of heat stroke must receive immediate treatment to avoid permanent organ damage. Read more: Heat Stroke Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Trauma and First Aid Quiz: Training and Supplies
What should be in your first-aid kit? Take this quiz to understand trauma and learn the truth about how to administer first aid....
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Sun Safety Quiz: Test Your Sun Safety IQ
What do you know about the Sun and the damage it can cause to our skin. Take the Sun Safety Quiz and learn how to protect...
Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz: What Causes Seizures?
Do you know the difference between seizures and epilepsy? What are the types of seizures? Take the Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz to...
Headaches Quiz: Learn About Headache Pain
If you're plagued with headaches, our Headaches Quiz may help you identify causes, triggers, symptoms, and treatments for...
Picture of Sunburn
Sunburn is an inflammation of the skin that develops in response to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or from...
Picture of Acute Sunburn
Sunburn is an acute, delayed, and transient inflammatory response of normal skin after exposure to UVR from sunlight or...
Picture of Sunburn (First-Degree Burns)
A sunburn is skin damage from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. See a picture of Sunburn (First-Degree Burns) and learn more about...
Picture of Sunburn (Second-Degree)
Your skin type affects how easily you become sunburned. See a picture of Sunburn (Second-Degree) and learn more about the health...
Sun-Damaged Skin: Pictures of Sun Spots, Wrinkles, Sunburns
See how sun damaged skin can cause wrinkles, moles, melanoma (skin cancer) and more. Explore sunburn relief and how actinic...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension): Symptoms, Signs, Causes
What is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
How to Get Rid of Nausea and Vomiting
What is nausea? Do you want to know how to get rid of nausea and how to stop vomiting? Learn home remedies for nausea,...
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Muscle Cramps (Charley Horse) and Muscle Spasm Remedies
What causes muscle spasms and cramps (charley horse)? What is the differences between muscle spasms and cramps? Learn about...
Healthy Living: Sunlight and Your Health
While too much time in the sun can be bad for your skin and may lead to serious health problems, small doses can be good for you...
Related Disease Conditions
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs)
Sun sensitivity (photosensitivity) is an inflammation of the skin induced by the combination of medications or substances and...
Heat-related illness include heat rash, cramps, exhaustion, stroke, and sunburn. Treatment of heat related illnesses depend on...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Heat Rash (Symptoms, Pictures, Treatment, Remedies)
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Sunscreens are crucial for sun protection. Sun damage to the skin from exposure to ultraviolet rays is a risk factor for skin...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Hurricanes are based on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, which places them in 5 categories. Weather (hurricane) predictions,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) Symptoms, Pain Relief, Healing Time
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Natural Home Remedies for Sunburn Treatment
There are many natural and home remedies that are used to relieve the symptoms of sunburn. Check out our top 30 tips to cool...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Summer Skin Hazards Pictures FAQs
- Headaches FAQs
- Epilepsy and Seizures FAQs
- Sun Safety FAQs
- Trauma and First Aid FAQs
- First Aid Fast Facts
- Summer Heat: 15 Ways to Keep Cool When It’s Hot
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- 11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- 5 Ways to Recognize a Heat-Related Illness
- Survivng A Heat Wave audio podcast
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Forecast Sees Abnormal Heat Worldwide Through 2022
- Climate Change Means More Deadly Heat Waves: Study
- It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise
- Health Tip: Treating Heat-Related Illness
- Heat Waves Can Dull Even Young Minds, Study Says
- A-C-T to Prevent Hot Car Tragedies
- As Temperatures Soar, Study Warns of Fatal Heat Stroke at Work
- Beat the Heat on Your Summer Vacation
- Hot Cars, Drowning: Keep Your Family Safe This Summer
- Look Before Locking: Protect Your Child From a Hot Car Tragedy
- Health Tip: Learn Warning Signs of Heat Stroke
- Health Tips for Summer Fun
- Climate Change Will Bring Hotter Summers to U.S.
- Do Heat Waves Shave Dollars Off a Baby's Future Earnings?
- Despite Warnings, Kids Are Still Dying in Hot Cars
- Heat Deaths in U.S. Cities Could Jump 10-fold If Climate Change Isn't Slowed
- Expect More Record-Breaking Heat in U.S., Scientists Warn
- Water: Can It Be Too Much of a Good Thing?
- First Days of Preseason Practice Pose Big Heat Risks for College Football Players
- Child Dies in Hot Car Almost Once a Week
- Heat Waves Hit Seniors Hardest
- Sickle Cell Trait Not Linked to Early Death in Study
- 'Heat Dome' Heats Up United States
- How to Spot the Warning Signs of Heat Stroke
- Heat Waves Pose Big Health Threats
- 3,300 Heat Deaths a Year Projected for NYC by 2080
- Guidelines Stop Heat Stroke Deaths in High School Athletes
- Doctors Issue Call to Combat Climate Change
- Searing Heat, High Humidity a Threat to Your Health
- Health Tip: Spot the Signs of Heat Stroke
- Hot Weather Safety Essential for Elderly
- U.S. Kids Not Drinking Enough Water Each Day
- Heat Stroke, Kidney Failure Help Drive Illnesses From Extreme Heat
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns
- Hot Cars Can Quickly Prove Deadly for Kids
- Extreme Weather Kills 2,000 in U.S. Each Year: CDC
- Heat Stroke a Greater Threat to Endurance Runners Than Heart Problems: Study
- If You Can't Stand the Heat . . .
- For Heat Stroke Victims, Cool First, Then Transport
- Protect Your Kids From the Heat
- For Safety's Sake, Don't Leave Kids in Cars
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Heat Illness
- Health Tip: Children Are Vulnerable in the Heat
- End of Heat Wave on the Horizon
- Canadian Cold Front to Bring Relief From Heat Wave by Weekend
- Experts Urge Caution As Heat, Humidity Blanket Much of U.S.
- Heed the Heat During Summer Workouts
- Blistering Heat Sears Western U.S.
- Hundreds Die From Extreme Heat Each Summer, CDC Warns
- Health Tip: Don't Leave Kids in the Car Alone
- Expert Tips for Summer Sports Safety
- Health Tip: Protect Your Child in Extreme Heat
- Health Tip: Heed the Warning Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- Health Tip: Keep Cool in Extreme Heat
- Electric Fans May Be Risky in Extreme Heat
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Maintain Heart Health During Summer
- Greater L.A. Heating Up, Climate Experts Predict
- As Heat Builds, Take Steps to Protect Yourself
- Health Highlights: April 9, 2012
- Summer Temperature Swings May Harm Elderly
- Heat-Related Deaths on Rise for High School Football Players
- Avoid Getting Scorched by 'Hot Yoga'
- Extreme Weather Affects Indoor Air Quality
- Do You Know When NOT to Call 911?
- High School Athletes Hit Hard by the Heat