- high body temperature,
- absence of sweating,
- hot red or flushed dry skin,
- rapid pulse,
- difficulty breathing,
- strange behavior,
- seizure, and
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heat Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments
Do you know what heat rash looks like? Heat rash (also called prickly heat) develops when the skin sweat ducts become blocked....
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension): Symptoms, Signs, Causes
What is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low...
Trauma and First Aid Quiz: Training and Supplies
What should be in your first-aid kit? Take this quiz to understand trauma and learn the truth about how to administer first aid....
Related Disease Conditions
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Dizziness is a symptom that is often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk...
Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs)
Sun sensitivity (photosensitivity) is an inflammation of the skin induced by the combination of medications or substances and...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Hyperthermia is the overheating of the body. Heat-related illnesses, all hyperthermia conditions, include: heat stroke,...
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning)
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Hurricanes are based on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, which places them in 5 categories. Weather (hurricane) predictions,...
Heat Stroke - Experience and Preventive
Describe your experience with heat stroke, and could it have been prevented?Post View 44 Comments
Heat Stroke - Risk
If you or a relative had a heat stroke, were either of you at risk? If you are at risk, in what ways will you try to prevent an occurrence?Post View 2 Comments
Heat Stroke - Treatment
Describe the medical treatment you received when you suffered a heat stroke.Post View 1 Comment
Heat Stroke - Symptoms
If you, a relative, or friend had a heat stroke, what were the symptoms?Post View 4 Comments
Heat Stroke - Experience
Please share your experience with heat stroke.Post View 1 Comment
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Trauma and First Aid FAQs
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- 5 Ways to Recognize a Heat-Related Illness
- 25 Natural and Home Remedies for Sunburn Treatment
- Summer Heat: 15 Ways to Keep Cool When It’s Hot
- 11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- First Aid Fast Facts
- Survivng A Heat Wave audio podcast
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Despite Warnings, Kids Are Still Dying in Hot Cars
- Heat Deaths in U.S. Cities Could Jump 10-fold If Climate Change Isn't Slowed
- Expect More Record-Breaking Heat in U.S., Scientists Warn
- Water: Can It Be Too Much of a Good Thing?
- First Days of Preseason Practice Pose Big Heat Risks for College Football Players
- Child Dies in Hot Car Almost Once a Week
- Heat Waves Hit Seniors Hardest
- Sickle Cell Trait Not Linked to Early Death in Study
- 'Heat Dome' Heats Up United States
- How to Spot the Warning Signs of Heat Stroke
- Heat Waves Pose Big Health Threats
- 3,300 Heat Deaths a Year Projected for NYC by 2080
- Guidelines Stop Heat Stroke Deaths in High School Athletes
- Doctors Issue Call to Combat Climate Change
- Searing Heat, High Humidity a Threat to Your Health
- Health Tip: Spot the Signs of Heat Stroke
- Hot Weather Safety Essential for Elderly
- U.S. Kids Not Drinking Enough Water Each Day
- Heat Stroke, Kidney Failure Help Drive Illnesses From Extreme Heat
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns
- Hot Cars Can Quickly Prove Deadly for Kids
- Extreme Weather Kills 2,000 in U.S. Each Year: CDC
- Heat Stroke a Greater Threat to Endurance Runners Than Heart Problems: Study
- If You Can't Stand the Heat . . .
- For Heat Stroke Victims, Cool First, Then Transport
- Protect Your Kids From the Heat
- For Safety's Sake, Don't Leave Kids in Cars
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Heat Illness
- Health Tip: Children Are Vulnerable in the Heat
- End of Heat Wave on the Horizon
- Canadian Cold Front to Bring Relief From Heat Wave by Weekend
- Experts Urge Caution As Heat, Humidity Blanket Much of U.S.
- Heed the Heat During Summer Workouts
- Blistering Heat Sears Western U.S.
- Hundreds Die From Extreme Heat Each Summer, CDC Warns
- Health Tip: Don't Leave Kids in the Car Alone
- Expert Tips for Summer Sports Safety
- Health Tip: Protect Your Child in Extreme Heat
- Health Tip: Heed the Warning Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- Health Tip: Keep Cool in Extreme Heat
- Electric Fans May Be Risky in Extreme Heat
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Maintain Heart Health During Summer
- Greater L.A. Heating Up, Climate Experts Predict
- As Heat Builds, Take Steps to Protect Yourself
- Health Highlights: April 9, 2012
- Summer Temperature Swings May Harm Elderly
- Heat-Related Deaths on Rise for High School Football Players
- Avoid Getting Scorched by 'Hot Yoga'
- Extreme Weather Affects Indoor Air Quality
- Do You Know When NOT to Call 911?
- High School Athletes Hit Hard by the Heat
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter