Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were your the symptoms of heat exhaustion? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Yoyo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I first had a swollen ankle. The feeling was like I sprained it. I thought on my activities and the only thing I could think of was, I cleaned the house and I sometimes use my foot to clean the floor. It was painful for about 3 weeks and I was not able to walk normal, but with a limp. I noticed that when I was massaging the foot, the ankle is not where the pain is but on the shin. Now, I'm recently getting a shooting pain on the right side of my leg. It happens quickly and goes away quickly also but it occurs maybe 5 times a day.

Comment from: Al, Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was working on my sailboat in the hot sun and it was in the 90s. All of a sudden my voluntary muscles got very weak and I realized it was heat exhaustion and I was going to collapse on deck all alone. I immediately jumped right over the side to cool off and got my strength back but it was a close call.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was diagnosed with stage 1 emphysema in 2010. Not sure how long I had it before being diagnosed. I am now in stage 2, and losing my breath quite easily even when doing housework, and I have to walk my dogs slowly. I sometimes have chest pains and tightening like I'm wearing my bra too tight, when I don't even have one on. I was doing fine while exercising and riding my bike, but have stopped doing both. I keep saying I'm going to start again, but sometimes wonder what the use is. I don't understand why they haven't done more studies on emphysema, plenty of people die from it. I guess I'm afraid of the death, as I've heard it isn't pretty. But I try not to think about it. I did this to myself by smoking for nearly 40 years, but I did quit the very day I was diagnosed, with the help of e-cigarettes. Don't start smoking, young people and if you have, stop!

Comment from: Courtney, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

With infectious mononucleosis I had swollen lymph nodes, swollen tonsils, a swollen liver, muscle aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pain, a fever, and headaches. Lots of fun.

Comment from: Breathless, 25-34 Female Published: January 05

For years I was treated for asthma. Every time the pulmonologist tested and said no asthma. Two years ago my general physician decided to do a blood test and found an abnormally high red cell count. I have been having phlebotomy every 6 months and it helps with the polycythemia. Tiredness, shortness of breath, joint pain, and blurry vision all but disappeared. Now I am experiencing sharp pains in legs and symptoms are returning. Count from recent test at 17.9. I wonder if there is no cure for this.

Comment from: Principal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I have reacted to warfarin since the first day I have taken it; extreme tiredness, very short of breath, low blood, walking is difficult, etc. All tests have concentrated on blood loss somewhere in the body. All negative findings.

Comment from: carrollmac345, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I get palpitations after drinking water and eating a cracker, plus I have low blood sugar. I have never smoked in my life, I do not drink and don't take drugs. My neighbors smoke and I have COPD with exacerbation and hypoxemia.

Comment from: Pat in Michigan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

The shingles started out with a sunburn-like feeling on the right side of my neck, and by that evening I had two blisters on the back of my neck. By the next morning I had a 2 inch patch, and by that evening two more patches. By the next morning another patch with a few blisters here and there. I'm now in the 4th day and getting some stabbing pains up the back of my skull.

Comment from: summertwin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My pain is primarily in my mid to lower back, right side mostly. It feels like a pulled muscle when I twist or move wrong. I am super fatigued, nauseous but no vomiting, slight fever, chills, and random sharp pains in my back, but I caught this kidney infection early. I had one that hospitalized me, I waited too long before getting treated. That was about 23 years ago. I was so sick, never again will I wait! You only get one set of kidneys, so got to save them!

Comment from: Ans, 55-64 Male Published: July 21

I am 18 years old. A month and a half before I was getting ready to graduate my mama was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. She's an alcoholic and her daily drinking was the cause of it. Her skin was yellow, the whites of her eyes were olive green, and she looked 9 months pregnant. She was given the expectation to live a month. She has 3 kids, me, a 12 year old, and a 6 year old. In a fight to live she stayed 5 days in the hospital in detox. She then went to rehabilitation for a month and a half. She got out 3 days before me graduation. She's now out and has been sober for a little over 3 months. When she reaches 6 months of sobriety she'll then be on a liver transplant list. Her skin, eye color, and belly has returned to normal. I'm lucky to have her. She's a living miracle at this point. The doctors are amazed at her health. We continue to hope for not only her health but her strength and sobriety because one more sip will kill her. This disease is curable. The patient must be willing to fight for their life!

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

On the first day of a 100 mile backpacking trip in Maine on the Appalachian Trail I had a severe case of heat exhaustion resulting in muscle cramping from head to toe. Had it not been for my friend's electrolyte tablets I may have been in real bad shape. Since that day in late August I haven't been right; chronic nausea, pinched nerve resulting in leg numbness and back pain, and high blood pressure. Several missed days of work also. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar chronic effects after heat exhaustion.

Comment from: Li, 55-64 Female Published: December 02

My point of view is depression is caused by information overload and by light stimulation to the brain through your eyes by looking into the screen. Also due to lack of physical activities. The treatment is to have a break from the electronic equipment and go out for a walk. Also singing is good strategy to reduce the pressure.

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Two years ago I was at an air show. It was a hot day in August and both the main attraction and the sun were out in full force. I was standing looking through my camera with it focused toward the sky. I realized that I was starting to feel dizzy and had to take a seat. My fiancé asked me if I was sweating, and I realized for the first time that I wasn't - even though it was hot and humid out, with the sun beating down on us. I was also trying to avoid drinking water so that I wouldn't have to use the bathroom on the ride home; turns out that was a bad idea! I'd rather stop at a bathroom at the way home than risk making myself sick from not enough water on a hot day.

Comment from: red, 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am 65. My wife and I walked the Sweetwater to Wasson Peak route yesterday, 1/1/12. It was an 80 degree cloudless winter day in Tucson. It is a 9.2 mile hike over extremely rugged rocky terrain. Every step has to be measured or else one could fall on rocks or cactus. It was about a 2000 foot rise. I brought along a camelback filled with water but unfortunately I didn't drink enough for the 5 hour and 20 minute hike. Today I am quite sick, my head is swimming and I am weak. I think it is heat exhaustion. The rule is that one must drink. I probably only consumed about 16 ounces of water while I should have consumed about 4x that much.

Comment from: Shari, 45-54 Female Published: June 07

I experienced heat exhaustion while at an air show. I drank three or four bottles of water but didn't need to use the bathroom. Although we were just sitting and watching the action, I had a headache and felt fatigued and lightheaded. When we got back to our hotel room, I cranked the air conditioning up as high as it could go, applied a cold washcloth to my head and slept for about half an hour. I felt much better but was still tired for the rest of the evening.

Comment from: Painter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was painting a friend's home during a hot day. I was drinking water, but apparently not enough. My symptoms started as: dizziness and being overheated, fatigue, chills. Then muscular pain and headaches. Take this as a lesson learned...never do activities for a long time in the heat without taking breaks and hydrating. Not worth it. I never want to have heat exhaustion again.

Comment from: Sumilex, 35-44 Female Published: July 17

I work in a pizza shop, which by nature is a warm environment with ovens going constantly. Recently our area has experienced a heat wave. With the additional heat outside, and the sun shining in the front of the store, the temperature inside ranged from 91F to 98F. I worked a 14 hour shift in these conditions. It was busy so I was moving the whole time. I did consume a full gallon of water, which is a little more than usual. Unfortunately it was not enough. I was so very exhausted by the end of the night that I could barely stand. I had sweated quite a lot over the dinner rush. I usually work a long shift like that once a week so I was used to that. When I got home, I tried to cool off with a shower. It was not enough. I vomited several times over the next several hours. I couldn't tell if I was hot or cold, as now I was sitting in air conditioning. I have no other explanation for my symptoms other than the extended time in the heat. The following day I was still very weak and sensitive to being in the heat.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was playing golf yesterday, and after nine holes felt really tired. It was hot all day and I could barely stand up. I could barely hold my head up on my shoulders. My hands were cramping and drawing up as well as my toes. I also had back cramps and felt like I was going to pass out. Even though it was a pretty sunny day, the clouds looked dark like it was overcast. It took a long time to cool down. I still feel ill and and am cramping after the next day. I'm not sure what happened to me. I have had this happen to me two or three times before – and all I'm really doing is riding in a cart and hardly exerting myself.

Comment from: LanaLou, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I took an aerobics class at my gym, and I did stop frequently to march in place and tried not to overdo it. About an hour later, I had a blinding headache and I projectile vomited multiple times. After the initial vomiting, I slowly sipped water. Normally, I do not eat carbohydrates because I have insulin issues, but the best solution that someone told me for replenishing electrolytes in an emergency is water and salty French fries. It worked like a charm. I didn't mind eating the fries, either! There are lots of fast food places open 24 hours if this happens at night, like it did to me.

Comment from: OHP, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

I work in an occupational setting where people work with kilns five days a week, nine hours each day, in temperatures up to 42° C (about 107° F). Besides exhaustion, I would like to know if this heat condition could cause erectile dysfunction.

Comment from: Oz_Hiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was hiking with a backpack. We started 11:30 am and it was around 28 degrees Celsius. The first bit was straight up and within 40 minutes I had heat exhaustion but continued anyway. The rest of the trip was a nightmare. I was sweating profusely - enough that for 6 hours my piggy tails produced streams of water when rung out. My muscles were exhausted and extremely tight. I was down to pin steps by the end of the trip. I only experienced a feeling of boiling up and dizziness in the early stages. I drank two liters of water - although not vomiting when I drank I felt ill so I just sipped water from the camel pack. Whilst my travelling partner did not experience any symptoms she was much worse off the following day experiencing the muscle exhaustion I had the previous day while I was recovered although stiff.

Comment from: Pedals, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was at a football game yesterday and in the direct sun for about 5 hours. I was sweating and kept getting goose bumps, my body was not sure what to do. I drank water, but not enough to keep up obviously. We left the game and I noticed on the way home that the muscle in my neck was starting to cramp and throb, making my vision poor. I was light-headed and nauseated to the point of vomiting. I luckily made it home and proceeded to get sick. I jumped in the shower quickly to cool down and laid down immediately. The muscle in my neck was so cramped and making my whole body sick. I applied ice but still continued to vomit. I slept for a few hours and then went to bed for the night. This morning I continue to feel weak, but the nausea has gone away. I rehydrated with a sports drink and tried to get some water in but had to be careful/slow because of my continual vomiting.

Comment from: Tizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I walked in a fourth of July parade with my son, it was over 96 degrees and very humid. I sweat a lot normally but the heat caused me to be drenched in sweat to the point my clothing was wet. I kept drinking water but after being in the heat for over 3 hours and walking 5 miles, it was impossible to stay hydrated. I began to get light-headed and weak and got a headache once I got in the car and was nauseous.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I attended a baseball game during this summer's heat wave. Our seats were in direct afternoon sunlight and I was drinking water and sweating profusely. By the time we returned to the car (after walking several city blocks), I was light headed, nauseated, and had a severe headache. My skin was cool and moist from sweating but I still felt warm. At home, I took a cool shower, but the nausea progressed to vomiting and generalized weakness and cramps. I recovered by rehydrating with sports drinks, taking analgesics for my pain, and resting in a cool, quiet place for several hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 29

I experienced heat exhaustion while out running errands. I had a severe headache, red patches on my arms, profuse sweating, fatigue and dizziness. I drank a bottle of water but didn't feel better. When I got home I drank more water, cranked the air conditioner and slept for two hours.

Comment from: hockeynut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My husband was recently playing in a band that was performing at an Exhibition. It was a hot evening and he was on stage with bright lights. He was sweating profusely, felt lightheaded and he couldn't see the crowd of people. He felt that he was going to pass out so his buddy immediately gave him a stool so he could sit down.

Comment from: joshua, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion. My symptoms were low grade fever, fatigue, achy muscles, sore throat, and dizziness.

Comment from: roselady, 55-64 Female Published: July 18

The symptoms of my heat exhaustion included extreme muscle weakness, nausea, lightheadedness, disorientation, starting to pass out with blackness, and crowding vision.

Comment from: eagleheart, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I recently suffered from heat exhaustion and my symptoms were cramps in the legs, profuse sweating, a salty taste in my mouth, a severe headache, and a very flushed face.

Comment from: santee57, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When I had heat exhaustion, I had a severe headache, and I felt very hot. I was fatigued, my heart raced, I was breathing fast, and I had to go inside and cool down. I put ice water bottles under my armpits, on my inner wrists, forehead, and behind my knees.

Comment from: Monica_Taylor, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

When my daughter had heat exhaustion, she felt weak and nauseated. She felt as if she were going to faint. She developed white round, scaly patches on her cheeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am not sure if I should be checked out or not. I don't have insurance so I hesitate. I finished mowing the yard almost half an hour ago. When I finished I was very weak and my legs hurt. I am not very physically fit, so it took me two hours to cut the yard. Now I'm feeling extremely nauseated. Have been drinking a lot of water. Not sure if the heat got to me or what. The sun was beating down pretty hard and it is already 84 degrees here.

Comment from: Conster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had heat exhaustion today. Spent all day outside at the zoo, it was humid and hot (90 degrees), but no direct sunlight. I went home, and sat outside in the shade. I hadn't been hungry and hadn't eaten much. I went to mow the lawn and felt tired, but during mowing started to feel real weak, then slightly dizzy, and stomach cramps and nausea followed, all within a few minutes. I didn't make it to the back door before I started dry heaving. I ran inside, bent over sink, rank cold water and put it on my face, and then vomited for about 3 minutes. It is now evening, and I have drank one liter of water, and ate a little, but very tired, headache, and still having some nausea. This happened last year during tanning in a tanning bed. I didn't throw up as much, but I had to lie down for two hours after and was very weak. I don't sweat like most people do. I have never had sweat roll down my forehead. My skin just gets damp, so I think I'm very susceptible to it.

Comment from: angeleyes46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Heat exhaustion can happen even when swimming! The heat index was 107 degrees, drank plenty of rehydrating fluids, but wasn't enough. I was sweating then it stopped, I was dizzy, muscle cramps, severe headache, and lethargic. It took three days to recover; I may have been close to a heat stroke. Be careful even when swimming!

Comment from: cyclistat60, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I went cycling on Saturday (very hot and humid) but drank enough fluids so that I only felt tired that day. Had a margarita that night but apparently didn't drink enough water and juices with potassium etc. to rehydrate because the next day I was dizzy and felt exhausted. I had had an earlier bout a couple of weeks before with vertigo and vomiting, hot and cold chills, so was apparently more vulnerable.

Comment from: uriasfamilypc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Along with all the symptoms you described, I was unable to think clearly or speak clearly. My temperature was 101 degrees. I think I was heading for heat stroke honestly. Thank GOD I was able to get out of the heat fast!

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I'm guessing that I had heat exhaustion. It was very hot in my house, outside temps were approximately 90 degrees. We couldn't afford to turn the Air Conditioning on so early in the season, so we had the windows open and a bunch of fans on. We were having dinner and suddenly I got a headache, I was having trouble swallowing, I became achy all over, I thought I was going to pass out and my heart began to race. I suddenly had diarrhea. When I got up from the table, I was very weak and walked slowly to the bathroom, holding onto furniture as I went. After the bathroom, I took an ice pack from the freezer, a wet wash cloth for my forehead and face and I turned a fan on blowing directly on me as I laid down on the bed. After an hour, I began to feel better but my heart didn't stop racing until another hour passed. After those 2 hours, I was able to get up and walk around. I felt very tired. I remained achy all over and had foot cramps for the entire night, allowing me only to get about 2 hours sleep total.

Comment from: kkelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was at an outdoor fair and and was dehydrated when I had heat exhaustion. While I was standing in line to buy a drink--water or diet Coke, I began feeling dizzy, light-headed, had stomach cramps, became extremely irritable. The man selling the drinks asked if I was okay and I replied, "I don't think so". He, then, began giving me several glasses of water. My sister later said the the middle of my face was very red in a circle and the outside of my face was very pale. I recovered slowly and was still not well in the evening.

Comment from: admiralgreybeard, 55-64 Male Published: May 03

After working on my allotment in the sun for approx 8 hours. I experienced extreme tiredness, aching, muscle cramps, headache for 30 hours, and pains in my stomach similar to severe indigestion, lack of appetite and even not wanting to drink liquids(although I forced myself).This has lasted for nearly two days.

Comment from: David, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

When I had heat exhaustion I got cottonmouth and was very thirsty. I started to get a bad headache in the back of my head and felt tired. When I got home I drank three bottles of water and rested. I wasn't back to normal until the next morning.

Comment from: marathonnoob, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

After running a mid-day 8-miler on a warm (but not hot) day, I did my usual recovery routine. Rehydrating (sports drink and water), protein powder, sit and rest for half an hour. I felt slightly nauseated, so I held off on eating for a couple hours. Two hours later, I was experiencing chills, cold sweats, body aches, and a headache, along with mild nausea. This progressively got worse, until I was sure I had heat exhaustion and tried to take a cold shower (try that when you're shaking from chills, eek!). I got more nauseated and lethargic as the night wore on (this was about 8 hours later). My poor girlfriend had to witness me vomiting uncontrollably as I made my way to my apartment door to let her in. After that, I seemed to turn around a bit. I drank water as much as I could through the night, and the next morning, started reintroducing food (crackers). I write this around noon the following day, and while I feel like I have a bad hangover, the worst is over.

Comment from: Mart, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

I took a long hike in hot Sarasota. I had lunch in an air-conditioned restaurant and drank a glass of water. After lunch I continued the hike, ending in a historical building which also had AC on but not very cool. While standing still, listening to a presentation, I felt faint, nauseated, and very hot! I got out of the crowd, and layed down on the sidewalk in the shade with my feet elevated. My head didn't hurt, but I had terrible abdominal cramping! I recovered after water, cooling off in the AC, and sitting down for a while.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter