Patient Comments: Heat Exhaustion - Causes

If you or someone you know has experienced heat exhaustion, what do you feel was the cause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BLady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was in my bee yard on some rural property. I had my protective bee suit which probably contributed to my experience. Symptoms of heat exhaustion came on pretty suddenly and when I started having muscle cramps I knew I had to get to somewhere cool and drink water. There must have been some mental confusion because when I drove to my camper I failed to set my parking brake and the car rolled down an embankment. I didn't vomit until about 12 hours later after being in the air conditioning for at least 6 hours. Two days later after an hour in my garden early in the morning I started to get a headache and nausea again. This time I got inside quickly! This is nothing to take casually. By the way one of the risk factors is being on antihistamines; which I was.

Comment from: Hmmm, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My husband works in an environment in which the stationary objects register with a heat gun at temperatures of 106 to 120 degrees routinely during summer months. He works 12 hour shifts. While told to take frequent water breaks in an air conditioned booth, those who do so are considered slackers and are given longer 'to do' lists. He returned home yesterday morning with nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, severe headache and had sweated profusely changing shirts a couple times and wringing them out to bag them for laundry. He ate lightly and tried to stay hydrated. Once home, he treated himself with water, electrolytes, ibuprofen for headache, and bed rest. It has been over 24 hours. He is not fully well yet, but beginning to gain strength and alertness. He works with others at his job to improve conditions, but too much noise leads to negative consequences. Jobs in his field are precious and few and retirement now not an option.

Comment from: Helping Hand, 45-54 Female Published: July 18

I experienced heat exhaustion while on a bike trip through Vermont. The temperature was in the 100s that week. Just before arriving at our campground one afternoon, I became shaky, nauseated, and barely had the strength to pedal my bike.

Slideshow: Understand the Risks and Signs of Dehydration