Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the throat, difficulty swallowing, the feeling of food sticking in the throat, and a burning feeling in the chest.
Causes of heartburn include dietary habits, lifestyle habits, and medical causes.
Treatments for heartburn include lifestyle changes, OTC medication,prescription medication, and surgery.Read more: Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Heartburn: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux, GERD): Causes and Remedies
Heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux that causes chest pain when stomach acid backs up into the esophagus. Heartburn symptoms...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
Related Disease Conditions
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Trichinosis Worm Infection
Trichinosis is a food-borne disease caused by ingesting parasites (roundworms) in undercooked pork or wild-game meat. Symptoms of...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation of the esophagus. Infections that cause esophagitis include candida yeast...
Hiatal Hernia (Symptoms, Diet, Surgery, Treatment)
Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a thin membrane of tissue connects the esophagus with the diaphragm becomes week, and a...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Heartburn during Pregnancy
Heartburn during pregnancy is quite common. During pregnancy the lower esophageal sphincter muscle becomes weakened , which...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Schatzki Ring (Schatzki's) Causes, Symptoms, and Natural Treatments
Schatzki (Schatzki's) ring, is a narrow ring of tissue located just above the junction of the esophagus and stomach. The cause of...
Reflux Laryngitis (Diet, Home Remedies, Medicine)
Reflux laryngitis is caused by acid refluxing back up through the esophagus and voice box. Reflux laryngitis causes irritation...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Heartburn vs. Acid Reflux (Differences and Similarities)
Heartburn and acid reflux are not the same thing. Heartburn is actually a symptom of acid reflux. Heartburn gets its name...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Causes of Chest Pain: Signs and Symptoms
Chest pain may be caused by many conditions. Learn when chest discomfort, pressure, and tightness is a medical emergency. Find...
Swallowing Problems (Dysphasia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Heart Attack vs. Heartburn (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Heartburn is a symptom of another disease or medical problem and can be described as a feeling of burning in the chest...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- pantoprazole (Protonix)
- omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
- ranitidine, Zantac
- esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV)
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- famotidine, Pepcid, Pepcid AC
- simethicone, Phazyme, Mi-Acid, Gas Relief, Mytab Gas, Gas-X, Gas-X Extra Strength
- loperamide (Imodium)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
- cisapride, Propulsid
- nizatidine, Axid, Axid AR
Prevention & Wellness
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Broken Hips in Dialysis Patients
- Chronic Heartburn Tied to Higher Odds for Head, Neck Cancers
- Common Heartburn Meds Show Ties to Kidney Trouble
- Common Heartburn Meds Show Ties to Kidney Trouble
- Are Some Heartburn Meds Tied to Stomach Cancer?
- Acid Reflux? Try Going Vegetarian
- Popular Heartburn Drugs Don't Raise Risk of Alzheimer's: Study
- Health Tip: If Heartburn Doesn't Go Away
- Popular Heartburn Drugs May Boost Death Risk: Study
- Popular Heartburn Meds Don't Raise Alzheimer's Risk: Study
- Study Suggests Heartburn Meds-Superbug Infections Link
- Another Obesity Downside: Higher Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: For Better Sleep, Watch What You Eat
- 1 in 3 Adults Diagnosed With Asthma May Not Have It: Study
- Are Heartburn Meds During Pregnancy Linked to Asthma in Kids?
- Heartburn Drugs May Raise Risk of Stomach Infections: Study
- Coping With Sleep Loss During Pregnancy
- High Pain Tolerance Tied to 'Silent' Heart Attack Risk
- Could Common Heartburn Drugs Up Stroke Risk?
- Health Tip: Health Risks of Childhood Obesity
- Research Points to 'Smoking Gun' for PPI Risks
- Beware of Bleeding Risks With Antacids Containing Aspirin
- Health Tip: Talk to Your Doctor About Heartburn
- Clues to How Popular Heartburn Drug Might Harm Arteries
- Common Meds and Dementia: How Strong Is the Link?
- 1 in 4 Hospitalized Newborns Gets Heartburn Drugs, Despite Risks
- Health Tip: How You Change During Early Pregnancy
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Kidney Disease in Study
- Doctors Often Overestimate Promise of Newly Approved Drugs
- Could a Low-Risk Surgery Help Your Chronic Heartburn?
- Widely Used Heartburn Drugs Linked to Dementia Risk in Study
- Heartburn Meds Linked to Chronic Kidney Disease
- Don't Let Reflux Ruin Your Thanksgiving
- Chronic Heartburn Drugs Tied to Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Health Tip: Taking Antacids
- Health Tip: Should I Talk to my Doctor About Gas?
- FAQ: Heartburn Meds and Health Risks
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of GERD
- Popular Heartburn Meds Linked to Higher Risk of Heart Attack
- Many Aging Boomers Face Chronic Illness, But Death Rate Is Falling: CDC
- Generic Form of Nexium Approved
- Health Tip: Easing Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Pack a Travel First-Aid Kit for the Holidays
- Could Popular Heartburn Drugs Upset Your 'Good' Gut Bugs?
- Take Heartburn Medicines Before Breakfast for Best Effect
- Doctors Often Suggest Pricier, Brand-Name Meds for Reflux: Study
- New Weight-Loss Surgery May Not Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Chronic Heartburn May Raise Odds for Throat Cancer: Study
- Losing Weight May Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Health Tip: Before You Take This Heartburn Medication...
- Health Tip: Don't Let GERD Interrupt Your Sleep
- Heartburn Meds May Often Be Taken for Too Long, at Too-High Doses
- Magnetic Implant May Ease Chronic Acid Reflux
- Endoscopy Overused in Heartburn Patients
- New Guidelines Urge Limiting Endoscopy for GERD
- Insomnia May Raise Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Health Tip: Treating a Chronic Cough
- Health Tip: Manage Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Untreated Heartburn May Raise Risk for Esophageal Cancer, Study Says
- Chronic Heartburn May Boost Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- Many Primary Care Docs Don't Know Long-Term Effects of Chemo: Survey
- Less-Invasive Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Might Be Safer
- Health Tip: Avoid Asthma Triggers
- Esophageal Cancer Surgery Can Leave Lingering Health Problems, Study Says
- New Device Approved for Lingering GERD
- Health Tip: Spot the Symptoms of GERD
- Acid Reflux From Chronic Heartburn May Damage Teeth
- Health Tip: Keep Heartburn Under Control
- Heartburn Drugs Linked to Hip Fractures in Women
- Heartburn Meds Won't Help, May Harm Kids With Asthma
- FDA Panel Backs New Device for Chronic Heartburn
- Chronic Heartburn a Growing Problem in U.S.
- Health Tip: Physical Problems May Cause Insomnia
- Are Acid Reflux Drugs Overused?
- Health Tip: Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
- Men, Women May Experience Acid Reflux Differently
- Barrett's Esophagus May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- Ginger May Have Cancer-Fighting Qualities
- Some Acid Reflux Drugs Linked to C. diff
- Study: Americans Confused on Drug Benefits vs. Risks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter