- chest pain,
- burning in the throat,
- difficulty swallowing,
- the feeling of food sticking in the throat, and
- a burning feeling in the chest.
- dietary habits,
- lifestyle habits, and
- medical causes.
- lifestyle changes,
- OTC medication,
- prescription medication, and
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a thin membrane of tissue connects the esophagus with the diaphragm becomes week, and a...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Pregnancy and Heartburn
Heartburn during pregnancy is quite common. During pregnancy the lower esophageal sphincter muscle becomes weakened , which...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation of the esophagus. Infections that cause esophagitis include candida yeast...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Acid backing up into the larynx (voice box) causes reflux laryngitis. Irritation of the lining of the esophagus, larynx, and...
Schatzki (Schatzki's) ring, is a narrow ring of tissue located just above the junction of the esophagus and stomach. The cause of...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Causes of Chest Pain: Signs and Symptoms
Chest pain may be caused by many conditions. Learn when chest discomfort, pressure, and tightness is a medical emergency. Find...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Heartburn vs. Acid Reflux (Differences and Similarities)
Heartburn and acid reflux are not the same thing. Heartburn is actually a symptom of acid reflux. Heartburn gets its name...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Heartburn - Symptoms
What symptoms have you had associated with heartburn?Post View 8 Comments
Heartburn - Causes
Discuss the causes of or reasons for your heartburn, including dietary, lifestyle, or medical.Post View 3 Comments
Heartburn - Treatment
What treatments have you tried to relieve your heartburn?Post View 1 Comment
Heartburn - Surgery
Did you require surgery for your heartburn? Please discuss your experience.Post
Heartburn - During Pregnancy
What home remedies or lifestyle changes did you make to ease heartburn symptoms during your pregnancy?Post
Heartburn - Triggers
What foods or activities trigger heartburn for you?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- pantoprazole, Protonix
- ranitidine, Zantac
- esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV)
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- omeprazole, omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate, Prilosec, Zegerid, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC
- simethicone, Phazyme, Mi-Acid, Gas Relief, Mytab Gas, Gas-X, Gas-X Extra Strength
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- famotidine, Pepcid, Pepcid AC
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- loperamide, Imodium A-D, Anti-Diarrheal, TH Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Imodium, Kaopectate II, Imodium
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- cisapride, Propulsid
- nizatidine, Axid, Axid AR
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
Prevention & Wellness
- Acid Reflux? Try Going Vegetarian
- Popular Heartburn Drugs Don't Raise Risk of Alzheimer's: Study
- Health Tip: If Heartburn Doesn't Go Away
- Popular Heartburn Drugs May Boost Death Risk: Study
- Popular Heartburn Meds Don't Raise Alzheimer's Risk: Study
- Study Suggests Heartburn Meds-Superbug Infections Link
- Another Obesity Downside: Higher Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: For Better Sleep, Watch What You Eat
- 1 in 3 Adults Diagnosed With Asthma May Not Have It: Study
- Are Heartburn Meds During Pregnancy Linked to Asthma in Kids?
- Heartburn Drugs May Raise Risk of Stomach Infections: Study
- Coping With Sleep Loss During Pregnancy
- High Pain Tolerance Tied to 'Silent' Heart Attack Risk
- Could Common Heartburn Drugs Up Stroke Risk?
- Health Tip: Health Risks of Childhood Obesity
- Research Points to 'Smoking Gun' for PPI Risks
- Beware of Bleeding Risks With Antacids Containing Aspirin
- Health Tip: Talk to Your Doctor About Heartburn
- Clues to How Popular Heartburn Drug Might Harm Arteries
- Common Meds and Dementia: How Strong Is the Link?
- 1 in 4 Hospitalized Newborns Gets Heartburn Drugs, Despite Risks
- Health Tip: How You Change During Early Pregnancy
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Kidney Disease in Study
- Doctors Often Overestimate Promise of Newly Approved Drugs
- Could a Low-Risk Surgery Help Your Chronic Heartburn?
- Widely Used Heartburn Drugs Linked to Dementia Risk in Study
- Heartburn Meds Linked to Chronic Kidney Disease
- Don't Let Reflux Ruin Your Thanksgiving
- Chronic Heartburn Drugs Tied to Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Health Tip: Taking Antacids
- Health Tip: Should I Talk to my Doctor About Gas?
- FAQ: Heartburn Meds and Health Risks
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of GERD
- Popular Heartburn Meds Linked to Higher Risk of Heart Attack
- Many Aging Boomers Face Chronic Illness, But Death Rate Is Falling: CDC
- Generic Form of Nexium Approved
- Health Tip: Easing Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Pack a Travel First-Aid Kit for the Holidays
- Could Popular Heartburn Drugs Upset Your 'Good' Gut Bugs?
- Take Heartburn Medicines Before Breakfast for Best Effect
- Doctors Often Suggest Pricier, Brand-Name Meds for Reflux: Study
- New Weight-Loss Surgery May Not Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Chronic Heartburn May Raise Odds for Throat Cancer: Study
- Losing Weight May Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Health Tip: Before You Take This Heartburn Medication...
- Health Tip: Don't Let GERD Interrupt Your Sleep
- Heartburn Meds May Often Be Taken for Too Long, at Too-High Doses
- Magnetic Implant May Ease Chronic Acid Reflux
- Endoscopy Overused in Heartburn Patients
- New Guidelines Urge Limiting Endoscopy for GERD
- Insomnia May Raise Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Health Tip: Treating a Chronic Cough
- Health Tip: Manage Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Untreated Heartburn May Raise Risk for Esophageal Cancer, Study Says
- Chronic Heartburn May Boost Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- Many Primary Care Docs Don't Know Long-Term Effects of Chemo: Survey
- Less-Invasive Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Might Be Safer
- Health Tip: Avoid Asthma Triggers
- Esophageal Cancer Surgery Can Leave Lingering Health Problems, Study Says
- New Device Approved for Lingering GERD
- Health Tip: Spot the Symptoms of GERD
- Acid Reflux From Chronic Heartburn May Damage Teeth
- Health Tip: Keep Heartburn Under Control
- Heartburn Drugs Linked to Hip Fractures in Women
- Heartburn Meds Won't Help, May Harm Kids With Asthma
- FDA Panel Backs New Device for Chronic Heartburn
- Chronic Heartburn a Growing Problem in U.S.
- Health Tip: Physical Problems May Cause Insomnia
- Are Acid Reflux Drugs Overused?
- Health Tip: Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
- Men, Women May Experience Acid Reflux Differently
- Barrett's Esophagus May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- Ginger May Have Cancer-Fighting Qualities
- Some Acid Reflux Drugs Linked to C. diff
- Study: Americans Confused on Drug Benefits vs. Risks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter