Heart valves that are diseased can be treated both surgically (traditional heart valve surgery) and non-surgically (balloon valvuoplasty). The mitral valve is the most commonly repaired heart valve, but the aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid valves may also undergo some of these repair techniques. Read more: Heart Valve Disease Surgery Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart attacks symptoms vary greatly for men and women, from anxiety and fatigue to nausea and sweating. Learn the warning signs...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Heart Valve Disease
Heart valve disease occurs when the heart valves do not work the way they should. Symptoms of valve disease include shortness of...
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is also also known as "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome." Mitral valve prolapse is the...
A heart murmur is the sound generated when blood flow within the heart is not smooth. Causes of heart murmurs can be functional,...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
Atrial Fibrillation (AF, AFib)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Congenital Heart Defects
Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Busiest Docs Get Best Results With Heart Valve Surgery
- Getting Teeth Pulled Before Heart Surgery May Pose Serious Risks
- Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- Year of Taking Risky Blood Thinners May Be Unnecessary After Stent Surgery
- Early Stenting Best for Some Heart Patients: Study
- New Test Helps Decide if Heart Patient Needs Stent
- Newer Drug-Releasing Stent Cuts Chances of Cardiac Events: Study
- Expensive, Drug-Emitting Stents May Be Overused: Study
- Bypass Beats Angioplasty for People With Diabetes
- Angioplasty May Be Risky for Those With Poor Leg Circulation
- Are Biodegradable Heart Stents Safe?
- Depression Tied to Earlier Death in Heart Patients
- Combining Heart Valve Repair With Bypass May Be Worthwhile
- Stents Overused in Stable Heart Patients
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter