Heart valves that are diseased can be treated both surgically (traditional heart valve surgery) and non-surgically (balloon valvuoplasty). The mitral valve is the most commonly repaired heart valve, but the aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid valves may also undergo some of these repair techniques. Read more: Heart Valve Disease Surgery Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart attacks symptoms vary greatly for men and women, from anxiety and fatigue to nausea and sweating. Learn the warning signs...
Related Disease Conditions
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Stroke Causes, Warning Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Congenital Heart Defects
Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms...
Heart Valve Disease
Heart valve disease occurs when the heart valves do not work the way they should. Symptoms of valve disease include shortness of...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Heart Murmur in Newborns, Children, and Adults
A heart murmur is a heart problem that can occur, for example, during pregnancy or exercise, or it can be a symptom of serious...
7 Reasons You Are Tired After Surgery
Postsurgical fatigue is normal and is due to a variety of factors. Depression, stress, and anxiety may produce fatigue. Sleep...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Tiny Self-Guided Robot Navigates Through the Heart
- Mick Jagger Recovering After Heart Valve Procedure
- AHA News: Surgery Like Jagger: Doctors Explain Heart Valve Problems, Treatment
- AHA News: Couple Kept the Faith as Baby Neared Death -- and Then a Transplant Saved Him
- Mick Jagger to Have Heart Valve Surgery
- Expandable Heart Valves Could Mean Fewer Heart Surgeries
- What If You Were Your Own Blood Donor for Surgery?
- Discharge Day Won't Affect Heart Surgery Outcome: Study
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Undergoes Emergency Heart Surgery
- Vitamin D3 May Benefit Heart Surgery Patients
- Mechanical Heart Valve Approved for Newborns
- Poorer Kids May Fare Worse After Heart Surgery
- Busiest Docs Get Best Results With Heart Valve Surgery
- Getting Teeth Pulled Before Heart Surgery May Pose Serious Risks
- Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- Year of Taking Risky Blood Thinners May Be Unnecessary After Stent Surgery
- Early Stenting Best for Some Heart Patients: Study
- New Test Helps Decide if Heart Patient Needs Stent
- Newer Drug-Releasing Stent Cuts Chances of Cardiac Events: Study
- Expensive, Drug-Emitting Stents May Be Overused: Study
- Bypass Beats Angioplasty for People With Diabetes
- Angioplasty May Be Risky for Those With Poor Leg Circulation
- Are Biodegradable Heart Stents Safe?
- Depression Tied to Earlier Death in Heart Patients
- Combining Heart Valve Repair With Bypass May Be Worthwhile
- Stents Overused in Stable Heart Patients