Heart transplant consists of three operations: 1) harvesting the heart from the donor, 2) removing the recipient's damaged heart, and 3) the implantation of the donor heart. The selection and distribution of donor hearts is a careful process so that the hearts are distributed fairly. For the patient requiring a heart transplant, all other important organs in the body must be in good shape. The most common complication of heart transplant is organ rejection. Read more: Heart Transplant Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Cosmetic Surgery: Before and After Photos of Cosmetic Surgeries
Thinking about getting plastic surgery? Check out before and after pictures of popular cosmetic surgery procedures, including:...
Related Disease Conditions
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) infection is the most common type of infection acquired by patients while hospitalized....
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk...
Restrictive cardiomyopathy, the rarest form of cardiomyopathy, is a condition in which the walls of the lower chambers of the...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiothoracic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: With New Heart, Mom of Four Competes in Transplant Games
- AHA News: Heart Transplant Survivor Gets Wedding Proposal at Finish Line
- Someday, a Pig's Heart Might Save a Child's Life
- Security Scanners Safe for Patients With Heart Devices: Study
- Sun's Harms Rise After Organ Transplant
- Houston Hospital's Heart Transplant Program to Lose Medicaid Funding
- Looking for Online Advice on Your Heart Device? Beware
- Study Spots Cause of Global Outbreak of Infections Tied to Heart Surgeries
- Pump Implants May Rejuvenate Heart Failure Patients
- Heart Devices 101: Guide to the Tools That Keep You Ticking
- New Technique Might Lead to Frozen Donor Organs for Transplant
- Should a Mental Disability Keep Patients Off Organ Transplant Lists?
- Device Plus 'Aggressive' Drug Strategy May Curb Severe Heart Failure
- Blood Test May Rule Out Too Many Donor Hearts
- Heart Transplant Mental Toll May Be Greater for Women
- 3-D Computer Modeling Might Improve Children's Heart Transplants
- Keeping Fit May Halve Seniors' Heart Failure Risk
- Kids Who Need Heart Transplant Should Get the First Available, Study Says
- Scientists Set Their Sights on First Whole-Eye Transplant
- Heart Transplant ‘Breakthrough' Shows Promise
- Pigs' Hearts Beat for a Year in Baboons' Abdomens
- Study: Vigorous Exercise Seems Safe for Heart Transplant Recipients
- Doctors More Willing Than General Public to Donate Organs
- New Blood Test May Help Detect Heart Transplant Rejection
- Stem Cells May Rejuvenate Failing Hearts, Study Suggests
- Getting Teeth Pulled Before Heart Surgery May Pose Serious Risks
- Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- Kids Who Undergo Heart Transplant Living Longer: Study
- When It Comes to Heart Transplants, Size May Matter Most
- Removable 'Gut Sleeve' Might Become a Future Weight-Loss Tool
- Scientists Pinpoint Which Kids With Heart Muscle Disease Are in Most Danger
- Scientists Make Damaged Heart Cells Healthy Again in Lab Tests
- Country Singer Randy Travis Suffers a Stroke
- Country Singer Randy Travis in Critical Condition With Heart Infection
- Health Tip: Will Cardiac Rehab Help?
- HeartWare Device Approved for Heart Transplant Hopefuls
- Docs: Heart Device Might Be Breakthrough for Muscular Dystrophy
- FDA Agents Visit Mass. Company Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Tainted Steroid Injections May Affect Those Treated for Joint Pain
- Mechanical Device Helps Kids Waiting for Heart Transplant
- Extra Pounds May Offer Protection to Heart Failure Patients
- Stem Cell Study Shows Promising Results Against Heart Failure
- A Heart Disease Veteran at Just Age 12
- Health Highlights: April 4, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 3, 2012
- Health Highlights: March 26, 2012
- Health Highlights: Dec. 19, 2011
- New Device Approved for Children With Heart Failure