Patient Comments: Abnormal Heart Rhythms - Treatments

How was your heart rhythm disorder treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: prvn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had slow gangrene progression of the left thumb with pain. After local medical treatment I am a little rehabilitated but still not recovered. The microbe culture test report reveals its sensitivity to sulbactum group of antibiotics. I need further appropriate remedy.

Comment from: quizzical, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have been having disturbing irregular heartbeats for many years. Doctors tell me that this is normal. I don't have other symptoms associated with the episodes, which sometimes go on continuously for days, sometimes only happen a few times in the evening, and some days don't happen at all. My intuition tells me that these irregularities are related to my digestive tract. I cannot determine any definitive relationship to alcohol, caffeine, or decongestants, because I don't have symptoms immediately after ingesting these things, but I suspect there might be a relationship. I had an EKG when the symptoms were not occurring last year. It was considered normal, but the symptoms have continued erratically. I feel that something is wrong. I am thinking about seeking more tests and / or treatment, or wondering if I should just trust that this is "normal.”

Comment from: Newt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am a 62 year old male. I have been diagnosed with afib in 2006. In 2008 an ablation was done and the irregular beats subsided. I was told it could return. It did in 2012. I noticed when I get tired the heart starts to beat irregular. It may last anywhere from a few minutes to hours. But the irregular beats are different from the afib.

Comment from: jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am in perimenopause and taking Zoely pills.

Comment from: Baxter1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am 62 years old, and 12 years ago I was rushed to the hospital with a pulse of 212. I thought I had a heart attack. The doctors shocked my heart to regain a normal beat. They felt it was an isolated incidence and did no more tests. Two weeks later the same thing happened. Finally, they realized I had an electrical problem and I had an ablation. That was 12 years ago, and now its back (not as severe), but my heart is irregular and tomorrow I get a holter monitor to track my pulse. I have taken propanatol and then switched to metropal.

Comment from: rmleonard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I took amiodarone and flecainide together. The result was great! Now, I can no longer buy flecainide and I am in a fit!

Comment from: Robert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My doctor eliminated 60 mgs of Adalet daily and added another 100 mgs of Metoprolol for a total of 200 mgs daily. Also, I am currently taking two 150 mgs of Prodaxa daily. Although my afib is still with me, I do not have any heart valve problems and no chest pain.

Comment from: muchtooold, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

For almost nine years I have had recurring problems with PAC and PVC. The first time, I had a severe pain in my head and then in my chest. I felt as if I was going to pass out. Shortly afterward, my heart started pounding. I went to the emergency room and was hospitalized for four days. Shortly after that, a tumor was found on my adrenal gland, and my adrenal gland and tumor were removed. I was told that the type of tumor I had did not cause my problems, but I still continued to have the same symptoms. I had stress tests, cardiac catheterization, and was tested for pheochromocytoma. My heart is fine, and I have no apparent physical cause for my problems. I have had years with no episodes, and then it starts up again. I have had my medication changed and my dosage changed. At this time, I am going through the same problem. I have another tumor on my other adrenal gland, but again, I was told this tumor does not affect my health, and it's relatively small. I am frustrated, as I can never seem to find what is causing this. My first cardiologist told me it was stress. I do have a stressful job and have had a lot of stress in my personal life for the last 30 years, but that is nothing new. My blood pressure appears to be up, but that could be because I am not handling this episode as well as I did in the past.

Comment from: pluto 5, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

My normal pulse rate is between 84 and 90. I have sleep apnea and my heart misses beats during the day. My ECG's are always abnormal. The stroke consultant has diagnosed me with lvd, svd. A French doctor said that my left ventricle was half the normal size, with enlarged cavities. I have heart failure diagnosed twice, yet recently the doctor said there was "nothing wrong with my heart."

View the Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow