Patient Comments: Heart Rhythm Disorders - Type of Disorder

Please describe what type of heart rhythm disorder you have. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mabrad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have had PAT/PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia/paroxysmal atrial tachycardia) since 14. I was given nothing until 20 when I was put on Inderal, then propranolol, then digoxin, then atenolol, and then verapamil. Verapamil was king. It did the best job ever until it slowed me down to low and I couldn't function in sports anymore so my cardiologist took me off everything. I then had an ablation which works well for the PSVT but, now I have PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and that gave me high blood pressure. I now take Micardis and Norvasc and they seem to work for the blood pressure. I need more freedom from the PVCs so after trying everything in the vitamin centers I have found ubiquinol 100 mg twice a day with PQQ 100 mg twice a day gives me much more energy, makes me smarter by improving my memory, helps the Norvasc keep my blood pressure down by about 20 points as well as lightens up the PVCs which I have just learned to live with. I can still jog 5 K regularly and ride my bicycle 250 K a week.

Comment from: Gail, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I just got out of hospital a couple of weeks ago. I had congestive heart failure, and my heart had been out of rhythm for 6 weeks, so they had to shock my heart twice to get it back in rhythm. Now I get so tired and can't do anything done, without sitting down, resting more and then getting things done. I am so weak, and it keeps getting worse.

Comment from: Shammar, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I awoke and felt tingling all over my body. Doctors could find no abnormality in rhythm. Months (2010) later while hurrying to catch a flight I felt myself fainting. I woke in the hospital. The nurse said my heart was going slow (40 bpm) during the night. Doctor said I needed a pacemaker and I had it implanted (set at 70 bpm). I've just had my third pacemaker (2014) installed. I was given different medications to control arrhythmia. Bystolic has less side effects for me. I asked for an increase to 75 bpm. I've traveled and been active since 2010.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have been having palpitations (flutters) for a few months. I am on 40 mg of Crestor and have been on this drug for about 8 years. I notice the palpitations are much worse when I go to bed. They only happen once in a while during the day when I am up and moving. I stopped taking my 40 mg of Crestor 3 days ago and amazingly, the palpitation stopped when I went to bed so I was able to get to sleep. I spoke with my pharmacist today and told her what was happening and that I stopped Crestor. She told me she doesn"t have anything in her records indicating heart palpitations connected to Crestor. All I know is that since I stopped taking the Crestor in the evening, I am not having the continuous palpitations when I go to bed. I read somewhere that Crestor is a more potent statin than the others so a smaller dosage works better than the same dosage of another statin. Maybe 40 mg is way too much for my system now that I am a senior.

Comment from: big hearted, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

In November 05 2011 I was admitted to the hospital with shortness of breath. I felt like I was going to pee in my pants. Never did but the urge was there I could not control it. When I arrived at the hospital they hooked me up to a monitor and gave me a drug, not sure what it was, the next morning the doctor released me and told me he thinks I had a heart attack. He then prescribed a bunch of medications and told me to relax for 3 days before going back to work. I returned to work. Then I had an angioplasty and they told me my heart was 3 times larger than normal and over the course of this next 2 years I only found myself getting more and more short of breath. The prescriptions were changed a number of times but it continued to get worse. On Dec 27 of this year my arms were numb and tingling and I had shortness of breath. I went to the hospital, they then gave me a nitro spray, 2 sprays under the tongue. Everything went normal and I was sent home again. I had another angiogram done and they said they have to look at everything. Now I sit and wait. I don't know where it will go from here. I have just returned from another test (MUGA), now I sit and weight again with all new drugs.

Comment from: Sco field.r@att.net, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I have an extra heart beat canceling out the next beat.

Comment from: luvChris heart 71, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I am a 44 year old female with paroxysmal, atrial fibrillation and bradycardia. I also have high blood pressure, diabetes type 2, asthma, and ischemic stroke. I wonder if an inherited heart condition started at birth can cause some of these conditions that are life threatening. Maybe I should get further tested and treated because these health conditions cause symptoms.

Comment from: jerry, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 12

I have irregular heartbeat.

Comment from: Samuel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 65, nearing retirement, still very active in business, with a lot of stress. I have type II diabetes (average 160) and serious problem of sedentarism. I am using Galvus Met 50/1000 to control. Last 8 nights, I woke up 3 times around 03:30 to observe that my heart was beating fast and my pillow and sheets were soaked with sweat.

Comment from: Joey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

At 45 years old I had dizziness, blurred vision, and strange sensations in my chest that felt like radically irregular heartbeats. I bought a monitor with irregular heartbeat indicator and confirmed my suspicions. My doctor put a Holter monitor on me for 24 hours. It turns out I had over 1200 PACs in that 24 hour period (normal would be 3 to 10 in 24 hours). We eventually also found out I have apnea. They have never known what causes the extremely excessive PACs. Everything else looks fine. They say it is "similar to an electrical issue where you cannot find the short". I take Lopressor twice daily and for the most part it works wonders. Every once in a while it doesn't quite work so well and that is usually tied to either excessive exercise or exertion, a bad night's sleep and/or overeating.

Comment from: nanafrog07, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My daughter is 19 years old. About six months ago, she developed severe chest pain with palpitations. She was admitted to the hospital. Her heart rate remained between 130 and 160 for four days. She had a normal echo, normal EKGs and normal lab results. She was sent home on Toprol and has continued to have a rapid heart rate in the 90s to low 100s with activity. She also continues to have chest pain. She has been told it is stress, but she says she does not feel stressed. We had a stress test done and are waiting on the results, but she says the doctor who performed the test told her she was not active enough. She is a non-smoker, non drinker, no caffenine, young woman. She had no health issues before this.

Comment from: ditmann, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I just had 3 heart attacks resulting in 2 stents. This happened 4 months ago, now I have the sensation of electric shock with every heartbeat. I have diabetes 2 and high cholesterol and its driving me nuts.

Comment from: Heart beat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My heart starts beating at twice the rate, like I am running, and this condition can last from a few minutes to hours, and will stop on its own.

Comment from: hd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was helping lift a heavy object and I felt like my heart had stopped, and after a skip or two it was back to normal. I felt very weak and was dizzy for a few seconds.

Comment from: jerry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

My heart beat is erratic. It has been that way for many years now but I recently had some artery cleanouts and I have a small pain in my left shoulder. I have had two bypasses done in 2007 and a Roto-Rooter this past year.

Comment from: Working Woman Age 71, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Slight fainting but able to keep balance, heart goes out of rhythm and fatigue sets in. Tried holding breath and bearing down, carotid massage no success. Had husband bring me home from place of employment. Vomited just as soon as arriving at home and rhythm cycled back. Had to rest for several hours in bed. Finally was able to get up and resume some normal activities. Very tired but went to work the next day after sleeping all night.

Comment from: Rich von Allmen, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

While being hospitalized for a heart atrial fibrillation, I was given Ambien to make me rest. I became crazy, violent, and had weird dreams. I threw my urinal at a nurse and then they restrained me by tying down my hands and feet. After I came out of the episode, I was afraid of the doctors and nurses, as they were in my weird dreams.

Comment from: renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 45 years old. Many years ago, a doctor caught an irregular heartbeat on one of my prenatal visits. Nothing ever came of it because they could never catch it again, even after hooking me up to electrodes and wires and such. (I think they were electrodes.) But over the years, they have come more often and more irregular beats at a time. It is never brought on by anything in particular; it's usually when I am relaxing in the evening. My heart will just start beating really fast for maybe eight seconds, give or take two or three. I have never smoked or done drugs. I do not take any kind of over-the-counter or prescribed drugs on a regular basis. I am usually pretty healthy.

Comment from: James, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 24-year-old male weightlifter. Recently, I developed an abnormal heart beat. My heartbeat will beat normally, and then suddenly delay for a beat, and then go back to a normal beat. I suffer from hypertension stage 1. I have seen my doctor about my concerns. She said that I have a heart murmur; I am already being treated for my hypertension and am getting an EKG tomorrow. I have not been to the gym since I started noticing my condition and am fast gaining back the body fat :( I hope that I can return to the gym soon because my sedentary state can't be helping my condition.

Comment from: redheadnana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 45 years old and went to the hospital twice in the last five months because I thought I was having a heart attack. They gave me nitroglycerin several times both times. This last time, the doctor said that my blood work didn't coincide with what the monitors were telling him. He made sure I would promise that I would call my doctor and make an appointment Monday. (This was early Sunday morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a heavy chest, difficulty breathing.) They called me Monday. My heart rate is staying 105 to 108 at rest. The doctor wants me to come in twice this week and next week. We will see what we do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

As of four weeks ago, my heart started palpitating in some unusual ways. I am a 51-year-old healthy woman with no other health problems at this point. I exercise regularly (about four to five times a weeks), and focus on cardio workouts. My heart has been functioning just fine, but with these irregular heart beats seeming to occur more frequently than when I first noticed them, I am beginning to wonder. There is no known heart disease in my family.

Comment from: Katherine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am an athletic 51 year old with no risk factors for heart disease. I run between 80-100 miles per month and an extremely active. I was rushed to the hospital with severe chest pain and pressure. After about 1 hour and just one blood series, I was sent home with a recommendation to see a cardiologist soon. However, I had a heart attack the next morning and was once again rushed to the hospital. The enzymes support the heart attack diagnosis. The cardio catheter showed "pristine arteries" with the exception of one very small artery at the back of the heart. The cardiologist was baffled. Before the heart attack my heart rate was normally around 50 and my blood pressure was normally around 95 over 60. After the heart attack I was put on a usual cardiac protocol med diet (plavix, low dose aspirin, and norvasc). Now, five weeks later my blood pressure is running about 125 over 70 and I am having heart palpitations. Sometimes my heart beats with such force I think it might jump out of my chest. The rate doesn't seem to be greater, just the force level. The latest EKG indicates "no heart damage" and I have been told that I can run "as much as I want".

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am 23 years old, who is working hard, walked a lot on my work, and even on high pressure and tension that work brought to me, few weeks ago I have noticed a light chest pain and palpitations, and sometimes I have difficulties in breathing at night.

Comment from: ChrissyJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have Regurgitating Valves (two to be exact). About two months ago I started having irregular heart beats and palpitations. My ECG showed abnormal sinus rhythms and PVC's. My Echo was normal (except for the backflow and lower normal ejection fraction). The cause of the palpitations is suspected to be low potassium and magnesium. I go for labs today. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I can return to life as usual, I start soccer in the fall and don't want to miss it because of this!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 44 years old. I was in ER two days ago, my heart beat went up to 240 per minute. They took me in right away and they gave me a shut with a feeling of a very heavy chest pain for a second then, my hart beat went down to 167. I have had this a month ago as well. All the blood tests came out negative. I have to see my cardiologist at the end of the month. A small surgery must be done to prevent this event. I have had this when I was 31.

Comment from: onlinegranny, 65-74 Female Published: June 05

Palpitation often, light pressure in chest and head sweating after I eat, I have clear heart arteries and see my heart doctor once a year. It jumps all around a lot. Would a pacemaker help? I have had this for years and it is now getting worse.

Comment from: Texas Girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have PSVT. The palpitations are uncomfortable and somewhat frightening even though I know they aren't life threatening. Sometimes, I also feel very cold and I can't seem to get warm. All the palpitations are made worse if I drink a caffeinated drink like tea or Diet Coke so I try to avoid them.

Comment from: Suebo500, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I first noticed my heart was beating irregularly when I was about eleven. It scared the hell out of me. I still get palpitations very frequently, but have learnt to live with it now. I did go the doctors and he even sent me to a heart specialist once, who said to stop drinking and smoking. I don't smoke anymore, but enjoy a wee tipple in the evening. I have only gone to this site as it is worse than ever at the moment, every time I sit or lay quiet I have to listen to my chest jumping around, but it doesn't worry me anymore.

Comment from: askasrgeinfo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

My heart rate has been unusually fast for at least nine months. 90 to 120 at rest. Had all the tests and stopped any medications that would speed the heart up. I am about 35 pounds overweight and it shows profusely in the belly. Could that be the reason for the rapid heart rate.

Comment from: JohnG, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

I read about 7 postings below my comment. One thing that is clear to me, each of the postees still appear to have symptoms, but are ignoring them or treating them without due concern. If something is irregular to you, investigate it until you are comfortable with a diagnosis/remedy. Only you can be the judge of how your body feels inside. If something is wrong, it's wrong.

Comment from: ann2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I mostly get palpitations in the afternoon or at night. They come on for no reason at all and I have had them for the past two years. They really freak me out, and I am constantly worried that something is going to happen to me.

Comment from: Heidi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation as a consequence of stenosis of the mitral valve following aortic valve replacement surgery in September of 2000.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: October 08

While playing tennis, my heart began beating at a faster rate (tachycardia). I stopped playing for about an hour, and it was still beating at about 120/minute. This has happened before when playing, but it went back to a normal rhythm. I'm in good shape, work out regularly and play tennis often.

Comment from: peck8, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 16

On occasion, while I am just sitting there or even lying down, my heart will beat double and then nothing; it will go right back to normal. It hasn't happened in a long time, but it has happened twice in the past two weeks. It's scary because of how quickly it happens, and how much I can feel it when it does that. There isn't any pain when it happens, besides me freaking out a little bit. I don't drink, smoke, and I am a little overweight, but I have been working very hard to lose the weight and have lost 12 pounds so far over the past few months.

Comment from: Newcome, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

I have had irregular heartbeats from time to time since I was young. I am now 30, and recently, I had an episode of irregular heartbeats for more than 14 hours. My pulse rate was 180 beats, and the doctor said I have ventricular tachycardia. He suggested I have an ablation done.

Comment from: Nadine, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

I have a fluttering feeling in my chest and trembling, but without obvious tremors in hands, or arms. The tremors awaken me from sleep. My chest doesn't hurt. I am 69.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter