Patient Comments: Heart Failure - Experience

Please share your experience with heart failure. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Glenn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I am 67 years old, and was diagnosed with heart failure over a year ago. My main symptoms are fatigue, shortness of breath, and a general sense that these symptoms will keep me out of normal life activities. I've kind of resigned to the fact that this is how life will be for me now. My wife and her caregiver assume I can't be as active, and thus I am excused from normal life responsibilities. They do things for me, and I am only too happy to comply. This is a heck of a way to be on a permanent vacation.

Comment from: Jane , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 04

My 90 year old mom is in better health than me. I experienced severe shortness of breath, nocturia, chronic cough, audible chest sounds, loss of sleep, and fluid in lungs with heart failure. I am being treated, but am scared sometimes.

Comment from: LadySelenaIsara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I can't feel my feet anymore. They feel cold and frozen from the inside but room temperature to the touch. I have diastolic heart failure. I am the patient but also my mum's caregiver but not a good one lately. I'm very angry. I can't eat, I don't feel like it and when I do I often get diarrhea. I don't sleep well but last night with a large cocktail of sleep aids I got 7 hours. It didn't help with my mood though.

Comment from: Ton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I've just been diagnosed with acute chronic diastolic heart failure. I have no family left to lean on with this and the man I've been with for 10 years could care less. My emotions are like a rollercoaster and I can't share them with anyone. I'm so lost.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter