Patient Comments: Heart Failure - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective in managing your heart failure symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JaneD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

The first treatment that worked for me after I had a blockage in my left descending artery and the widow maker, was a pacer/defibrillator/heart re-synchronization device. The heart attack caused about 50 percent of the heart muscle in the lower left to die. I was given a 5 year prognosis after that. My doctor and I both felt that I was on my way out when they implanted that device. I immediately went from blue to pink. I was wired up with that 12 years ago. I feel that I am going downhill slowly now. Truth to tell, I can't stand living like this anymore. I have not been the active, vital person I was before the heart attack since I had it, and to just exist is not enough for me. I was 46 when this started and am 62 now. I've given it my best!

Comment from: Steveo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I had a stent put in a couple weeks ago after heart failure. And I still don't feel good. I still have pain in the middle of my stomach. I just believe I am still not better yet.

Comment from: Suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My symptom of heart failure was occasional shortness of breath. I had very few symptoms, which I understand to be not normal. I have cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and am at the stage where I need a LVAD (left ventricular assist device), hopefully as a bridge to a heart transplant. I'm 58 years old. I was diagnosed only a year ago, so this has progressed very rapidly in me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter